Destiny - Discussion Thread

The 2.0 update was Taken King installing. If you installed that update then you already had all the Taken King content.

I didn't have anything prior to yesterday. The Legendary Edition disc is just Destiny, and that installed fine, but the 17GB update is where it's really slow.

I didn't have anything prior to yesterday. The Legendary Edition disc is just Destiny, and that installed fine, but the 17GB update is where it's really slow.

Ah, OK. That 17GB update is the 2.0 release then. Kinda crappy that they didn't put it on the disc.

How is the Taken King? I already have the first two expansions that I bought with the season pass and am already burnt out on Destiny. How much is the Taken King add-on?

How is the Taken King? I already have the first two expansions that I bought with the season pass and am already burnt out on Destiny. How much is the Taken King add-on?

$40 for just Taken King

$60 for new players gets the base game, two expansions, and Taken King. I just bought the game a few weeks ago, feels like a really good dea for a lot of game. For anyone on the fence who hasn't bought anything, I don't see much to complain about.

Ah, OK. That 17GB update is the 2.0 release then. Kinda crappy that they didn't put it on the disc.

Found the Bandwidth Report in the menus... about 750MB per hour, or 0.2 megabytes per second, or 1.6 megabits per second. If I do a speed test it comes back with 50 megabits, which is what my speed is, so their update servers are just shit. It's going to take another 12 hours at this rate.

Found the Bandwidth Report in the menus... about 750MB per hour, or 0.2 megabytes per second, or 1.6 megabits per second. If I do a speed test it comes back with 50 megabits, which is what my speed is, so their update servers are just shit. It's going to take another 12 hours at this rate.

Are you downloading the update from within the game client (if they still do that...) or from the XBox UI? I think when you let the XBox get it it's comes direct from the XBL servers. Still weird, I know at least one person that got everything in a couple hours from an XBox One.

Are you downloading the update from within the game client (if they still do that...) or from the XBox UI? I think when you let the XBox get it it's comes direct from the XBL servers. Still weird, I know at least one person that got everything in a couple hours from an XBox One.

I'm doing it from the UI.

Also on that bandwidth screen is a current download speed. I've seen it as low as 15kb/s, and never seen it above 2.5Mbps. It's usually less than 1. I too know a couple people that got their updates fast, so I don't know what's up. I posted on their forums but don't think I'll get a reply.

It also doesn't help that I've gotten "Installation Stopped" a couple times, and had to manually start it up again. If that happens overnight tonight I'm kind of screwed.

I'm having a hell of a time even getting the damn thing installed. I bought the Legendary Edition last night and popped it in around 8pm. By midnight it was only 11% done with the update. I left my Xbox on overnight thinking it would finish, not realizing it would turn off after an hour of inactivity (apparently downloading a game update is considered inactivity).

I started it again this morning, so hopefully I can play it when I get home from work... not fun waiting 24 hours to be able to play something. The 17GB update should have only taken about an hour with my internet, so their servers must be getting hammered.

That a bit odd since my Xbox will continue to download and install my games when I turn my console off (However in Instant-On mode). Like others have said, maybe the servers are being hit hard with the new players coming in. I had the game since last year and the 17GB patch put out for us last week took some time too. Some of my clan mates said it took them all day. By the time I got around to it at night, it only took about an hour.

Hey, about that Installation Stopped message. Not that it could be the same thing I had, but I just recently sent my Xbox One to Microsoft for repair because it would not read my game disks anymore. I was getting that same message when installing Gears of War UE and Reinstalling Destiny (due to it not reading). It's possible that your Blu-ray drive is going. Do any of your other games do this?

Last edited:

Very fun beat campaign last night and there are so many quest missions is crazy almost overwhelming.

So many new enemy's and areas and secrets stuff still to find and all new gear.

I've only done my hunter still have to work on my other two classes but it'll be a while for them.

Hunter is at 40 that's easy but gear and weapons to raise light is the real challenge I'm at 260 light right now and just got my sword which is fun to use

That a bit odd since my Xbox will continue to download and install my games when I turn my console off (However in Instant-On mode). Like others have said, maybe the servers are being hit hard with the new players coming in. I had the game since last year and the 17GB patch put out for us last week took some time too. Some of my clan mates said it took them all day. By the time I got around to it at night, it only took about an hour.

Hey, about that Installation Stopped message. Not that it could be the same thing I had, but I just recently sent my Xbox One to Microsoft for repair because it would not read my game disks anymore. I was getting that same message when installing Gears of War UE and Reinstalling Destiny (due to it not reading). It's possible that your Blu-ray drive is going. Do any of your other games do this?

Nah, only this one, and the disc wasn't even in at the time. It was only for the online update.

The update eventually finished after nearly 24 hours, so I guess there's nothing else to be done unless this happens on other games. I downloaded Halo MCC a couple weeks ago and it was pretty quick, so I'm not sure what was up. Oh well.

Damn, bought the Taken King as well since I saw my old friends playing it. There goes my life... again!

Hi guys

I've bought the taken king and installed it on tony xbox but it's still saying that I require it when I go to do the missions or try and go on to PvP is someone can give me some advice that would be great

Cheers

Hi guys

I've bought the taken king and installed it on tony xbox but it's still saying that I require it when I go to do the missions or try and go on to PvP is someone can give me some advice that would be great

Cheers

Requires what? The disc in the drive?

I've played TTK for three nights straight and so far it is great. Tons of stuff to do and the story missions are an improvement over the old stuff. New strikes involve mechanics other than shooting a slow moving boss and feel fair difficulty wise. The new patrol area has secrets to explore and a variety of tasks to complete. At one point last night I think I had over a dozen quests and a full screen of bounties to complete.

Ok, so i only have the original game.
What's the best, and most economical, way to get into TTK? Do I need to buy the DLCs?

So I had the vanilla game, sold it. What I want to do is; buy TTK legenderay (w/ everything) start over fresh, level up. Can I go through vanilla game> 2 DLCs> TTK one at a time? Or will I be playing a TTK version of the base game with TTK quests + random 2 DLC quests?

The DLC and the way they have handled this game for vanilla owners is just so weird.

The DLC is a little confusing. I don't think you can buy the prior expansions now, so the most economical way to get everything would be to sell your original copy if possible and then buy the legendary edition that includes the base game, both year one DLCs and TTK.

I'm not really sure how the new character experience is now. I believe all the missions are still in the game, but they are presented as quests now. If you start at level 1 it will guide you through everything but if you use the level boost to 25 then basically the whole map will be lit up with flashing areas and it may be hard to determine what order to follow.

I was sceptical about the taken king but I am enjoying it to be honest. Spent the time levelling up to 35 now. However, is all my old gear simply trash now? Also what is fastest way to get glimmer since yellow enemies no longer give any glimmer and I am weary of using my seeds etc for it.

Game is still dope but not many people seem to be playing it.

I really wish the classes felt different. Really they feel the exact same aside from the supers. They may as well have 1 class with different supers. The titans dont feel more tanky than hunters at all

The DLC is a little confusing. I don't think you can buy the prior expansions now, so the most economical way to get everything would be to sell your original copy if possible and then buy the legendary edition that includes the base game, both year one DLCs and TTK.

I'm not really sure how the new character experience is now. I believe all the missions are still in the game, but they are presented as quests now. If you start at level 1 it will guide you through everything but if you use the level boost to 25 then basically the whole map will be lit up with flashing areas and it may be hard to determine what order to follow.

The new experience for me was pretty fantastic, I just went from Level 1 to 28 over the last couple weeks. I sort of lost track of what I was doing at a few points, because the base game and both expansions have their own story lines which are active at the same time. And I can definitely see why people who purchased the original game may have been underwhelmed, there were many mission there.

If I bought the game and used the level 25 boost right away, I think my head would have exploded from all of the possible activities. There is some nuance in the game as well, that I think would be completely missed if a new player jumped straight to 25. But that's just my take on it.

Tonight or tomorrow I will be jumping into the Taken King content.

As much of a grind as it was, leveling from 1-26 (when I left the game) really taught you a lot about the weapons etc. The learning curve when starting at 25 would be a bit of a bear I think.

I was sceptical about the taken king but I am enjoying it to be honest. Spent the time levelling up to 35 now. However, is all my old gear simply trash now? Also what is fastest way to get glimmer since yellow enemies no longer give any glimmer and I am weary of using my seeds etc for it.

Game is still dope but not many people seem to be playing it.

Old gear is trash except for use in year one content and crucible. Don't dismantle all your excess legendaries right away though as you may need them for a quest later.

The game rewards you based on your light level, so if you are light 200 you will find light 200-220ish items. Equip those items to get to light level 220 and then you will find 240ish items and so on. It's best not to get too attached to gear until you are in the 260+ range and then you can concentrate on infusing the items you like to take them to 290+.

Good question regarding glimmer, I haven't actually had to farm yet since TTK launched.

I can't believe I am going to purchase this game again but it sounds like it has improved a metric shit ton.

Still a bit bitter over the vanilla experience but I am willing to give Bungie a second chance. Now hopefully some of my buddies get back into the game.

For everyone asking about what to buy if you already have the original game.

If you want just the new content, the cheapest option is to buy the $40 Taken King DLC. That's it.

If you want access to Crota's End raid & Prison of Elders(maybe Trials of Osiris MP mode when it's back, not sure on that one yet) than it seems you need to buy the entire Destiny: The Taken King Legendary edition which comes with all the games content up until now as DLC 1 & 2 don't seem to be for sale any longer.

You can look online for yourself to see what is in the first 2 DLC's & if they are worth it to you. IMO they are, but less relevant in the game now. If you are a collector of in game exotics then there is 4 you can only get through having the DLC #1 & 2.

For everyone asking about what to buy if you already have the original game.

If you want just the new content, the cheapest option is to buy the $40 Taken King DLC. That's it.

If you want access to Crota's End raid & Prison of Elders(maybe Trials of Osiris MP mode when it's back, not sure on that one yet) than it seems you need to buy the entire Destiny: The Taken King Legendary edition which comes with all the games content up until now as DLC 1 & 2 don't seem to be for sale any longer.

You can look online for yourself to see what is in the first 2 DLC's & if they are worth it to you. IMO they are, but less relevant in the game now. If you are a collector of in game exotics then there is 4 you can only get through having the DLC #1 & 2.

You need to own Vanilla Destiny plus both DLCs to qualify for the $40 TTK DLC.

Wow, a lot has changed since I stopped playing before the first expansion. Light is completely different as our levels. Is there somewhere I can go to get a full breakdown of the sort of large-scale mechanics changes?

Man got the three for coins or whatever nonsense from xur and didn't drop a single exotic. So pissed.

Played a bit this morning and it didn't take long for me to remember that; FPS with a controller is almost unbearable, and I had almost forgotten how shitty 30fps actually is. Other than that I am enjoying the way they changed Light and missions.

This game would be soooooooo much better on PC though, It could be amazing actually especially at 4k w/ M&KB.

Man got the three for coins or whatever nonsense from xur and didn't drop a single exotic. So pissed.

waste of coins its like playing the lotto do quests i already got the boolean gemini from quests and it is an amazing exotic scout rifle

Played a bit this morning and it didn't take long for me to remember that; FPS with a controller is almost unbearable, and I had almost forgotten how shitty 30fps actually is. Other than that I am enjoying the way they changed Light and missions.

This game would be soooooooo much better on PC though, It could be amazing actually especially at 4k w/ M&KB.

keyboard and mouse.... stupid thumbs? and are you on playstation? i play it on xbox one and ps4 and ill agree on ps4 id rather play with keyboard and mouse symmetrical sticks suck i play most shooter on xbox because of the offset controller being so much better for shooters.

just breaking your balls about stupid thumbs :)

and this is why they tweeted enjoy this now expect a loot drop patch on tuesday and hopefully it doesnt fuck up drop rates for those of us who DONT cheese!

Yeah, a lot of people are suggesting a cooldown on Three of Coins instead of a change to drop rates. Either that or make it not work in Story missions.

Three of Coins averages about a drop per 7 uses. It works and is currently the cheapest way to get exotic engrams. The loot chance increments every time you use a coin and resets once you get a drop. I hope they add a cooldown to it or change it to strikes/raids only as the drop rate is fine if not abused.

I didn't do a suicide rocket but tried it twice on the same boss and it didn't give me anything. Also the three of coins is consumed if either you die or you kill the boss so I have to re enable the three of coins.

Three of coins is only consumed on boss kill and not on player death.

Ok, stupid question:
How do you return bounties now? BEfore the first DLC, you went back to the guy that gave them to you. But now, he's not taking them, apparently?

Back