Dark Souls is on Steam

Any tips for fixing up the wonky control scheme for kb+mouse?
I heard there were some mods around

That's a red phantom. Have you done no pvp?

Nope. As much as i like PVP in other games, I figured I'd dislike it in this one given how difficult of a time i was having just getting through content. I haven't tuned human since the beginning of the game.

Nope. As much as i like PVP in other games, I figured I'd dislike it in this one given how difficult of a time i was having just getting through content. I haven't tuned human since the beginning of the game.

Red phantoms are aggressive invading players.

PvP in this game is amazing.

What would you like to do with the character? You don't need to put points into anything if you don't want to.

Since you already went DEX, I'd say break up leveling between endurance and dexterity, with a point into vitality every fifth level. This will be a standard dexterity melee character. Don't put more than 40 points into any of them. Nothing fancy, but a strong base.

I disagree, I take END to 50 every time. Points aren't really wasted in vitality after 40 either but that's more of a "I don't need points in anything else anymore so I'll dump them into VIT" thing.

But Endurance/Dex/Vitality is a good build. Strength weapons are generally slow and easy to dodge so they are most useful against bosses. In PVP they take quite a bit of skill to use to any real effect. So in essence unless you want to use Havel's shield (requires 50 str) I'd keep pumping dexterity... those weapons are generally quick or have high critical modifiers which also work fine against bosses. I'd work on getting END to 33 or so now, you're high enough in DEX to use some good weapons... DO NOT FORGET TO UPGRADE THEM AT THE BLACKSMITH! Very important! I'd recommend allocating souls to upgrading armor/weapons before leveling if you can do so.

If you go Magic/Faith/Pyro you'd better have a backup plan for when someone like me rolls along (if you plan to PVP) with max'd resists and high DR shields.

Last edited:
END is probably my favorite stat. I've been known to go to 60 with it. Giant gear with fast roll FTW...

I just have to live 3 more months.

I disagree, I take END to 50 every time. Points aren't really wasted in vitality after 40 either but that's more of a "I don't need points in anything else anymore so I'll dump them into VIT" thing.

But Endurance/Dex/Vitality is a good build. Strength weapons are generally slow and easy to dodge so they are most useful against bosses. In PVP they take quite a bit of skill to use to any real effect. So in essence unless you want to use Havel's shield (requires 50 str) I'd keep pumping dexterity... those weapons are generally quick or have high critical modifiers which also work fine against bosses.

If you go Magic/Faith/Pyro you'd better have a backup plan for when someone like me rolls along (if you plan to PVP) with max'd resists and high DR shields.

Endurance past 40 gives you equip load and bleed res, but no more stamina.

Vitality past 40 gives you very diminished returns.

Dexterity past 40 is beneficial for casters, not so much melee.

Anyway, I don't PvP with a full set of heavy armor, so I don't pump END past 40 in most cases.

STR weapons work fine in PvP if you can get good at dead angles.

Thanks for the advice Lenin / Ryom.

I have gone human about twice. Are there advantages to doing this every chance I get? The second time I went human, someone invaded me and killed me in one shot with a backstab. Does the game typically only connect invaders with people that have become human if their respective levels are similar?

Thanks for the advice Lenin / Ryom.

I have gone human about twice. Are there advantages to doing this every chance I get? The second time I went human, someone invaded me and killed me in one shot with a backstab. Does the game typically only connect invaders with people that have become human if their respective levels are similar?

Human form just grants you the ability to kindle bonfires and the ability to do multiplayer (co-op and pvp).

Yes, respective levels need to be within a certain range.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1040458002&postcount=3048
6, 7, and 8
Especially 8. Don't do what I did with that. Complete waste.

If you can't decide, Endurance.

I was getting like 3-4 shot in the beginning of the game and figured that I wanted a more beefy character. so i spent like 10 points in res before realizing it wasn't making me much more beefy at all.

Now, with all these mods, why not just fix that stat? I like the purpose of the stat, it just needs a 50-100% buff.

I was getting like 3-4 shot in the beginning of the game and figured that I wanted a more beefy character. so i spent like 10 points in res before realizing it wasn't making me much more beefy at all.

Now, with all these mods, why not just fix that stat? I like the purpose of the stat, it just needs a 50-100% buff.

That would make the game easier and those status effects less intimidating. It was annoying to waste that time (and souls) on leveling it, but once you know it sucks, its gone from your mind. No mater how high your level is, you must defend against poison/curse/bleed. I see why it's like that, so you depend on your rings and equipment more. It seems to prevent light armor from becoming useless, since light armor typically has high resists, and of course the rings. The poison ring is always equipped if I'm in the poison swamp. because it STILL works. I'm SL140 or something.

My character is already in the 30's based off level, but I'm pretty sure I leveled him completely wrong. I picked a Wanderer class and ended up taking his DEX to 24 before any of the attributes were even above 12. Now it costs 6k souls to level up and my END and health is only about 14. Not to mention that I have not upped any of the wisdom, int, or faith categories. I currently use a tower shield and a drake sword and knight armor, most items to +5.

it is possible to complete the game and on with only a SL1 character. Ditch the drake sword and get a dex weapon. The points you put into DEX are not doing anything for you with it. Don't worry do much about your build for this playthrough, just enjoy the game to the end. Next build you will know what to do. You also may want to consider pyromancy, just get a glove and level it up. It only costs souls, not levels.

That would make the game easier and those status effects less intimidating. It was annoying to waste that time (and souls) on leveling it, but once you know it sucks, its gone from your mind. No mater how high your level is, you must defend against poison/curse/bleed. I see why it's like that, so you depend on your rings and equipment more. It seems to prevent light armor from becoming useless, since light armor typically has high resists, and of course the rings. The poison ring is always equipped if I'm in the poison swamp. because it STILL works. I'm SL140 or something.

Resistance makes light armor even more viable and it allows you to put your ring slots to better use. Since your natural resistance to poison is pumped. I can throw poop all day, without wearing a ring.

Resistance makes light armor even more viable and it allows you to put your ring slots to better use. Since your natural resistance to poison is pumped. I can throw poop all day, without wearing a ring.

Whoa. Resistance is always a waste. Everything adds resistance. Applying it to stamina gives you resistance and lets you were heavier armors and attack longer. There is never a situation for putting stats into resistance is desirable. If you need resistance, carry around 99 souls, it will give you that amount of resistance.

I guess my statement wasn't very clear, the point I was trying to make is that leveling the resist stat adds to your resist in such minuscule amounts that depending on that stat for defense, won't protect you as much as switching to an armor or a ring that is proficient in whatever resist you want. Because of that, it keeps those armors and rings relevant even when you are at NG+ and high leveled, since you can never really depend on the stat, like you can all others. Throwing poop is fine, but can you throw poop while in the poison swamp while having poison darts shot at you? Leveling resist will never get you there. Only rings and armor will help you then.

It's a balance thing. A convoluted balance, but it works.
I feel it was something they did towards the end of development and was too late to outright remove it from the game. One less stat to manage.... Or I could be completely wrong and thats exactly how they wanted it.

it is possible to complete the game and on with only a SL1 character. Ditch the drake sword and get a dex weapon. The points you put into DEX are not doing anything for you with it. Don't worry do much about your build for this playthrough, just enjoy the game to the end. Next build you will know what to do. You also may want to consider pyromancy, just get a glove and level it up. It only costs souls, not levels.

Not really sure how to tell the difference between dex weapons and str weapons. Is it just based off the higher requirement stat? I found an ember yesterday and upgraded that sword I got off of killing the first merchant in the game to a raw sword. Is that one a dex weapon?

Random question: In the starting fireplace, your estus flask gets filled to 10. In all other fireplaces, it only fills to 5. Is there a way to change this?

I took out the twin gargoyles, the funny sounding butterfly, and some huge dragon at the bottom of a sewer with slime and rats. On that last kill, I had summoned some player and he was probably the reason I killed the dragon on the first try. As soon as the dragon fell, that player disappeared. Is that a design of the game? I wanted to thank him, but all I could do was gestures.

Not really sure how to tell the difference between dex weapons and str weapons. Is it just based off the higher requirement stat? I found an ember yesterday and upgraded that sword I got off of killing the first merchant in the game to a raw sword. Is that one a dex weapon?

Random question: In the starting fireplace, your estus flask gets filled to 10. In all other fireplaces, it only fills to 5. Is there a way to change this?

I took out the twin gargoyles, the funny sounding butterfly, and some huge dragon at the bottom of a sewer with slime and rats. On that last kill, I had summoned some player and he was probably the reason I killed the dragon on the first try. As soon as the dragon fell, that player disappeared. Is that a design of the game? I wanted to thank him, but all I could do was gestures.

Holy shit man, you got that far and haven't kindled a single bonfire?
Good job.

And yeah, summons disappear immediately after the boss battle. It is by design.

Holy shit man, you got that far and haven't kindled a single bonfire?
Good job.

And yeah, summons disappear immediately after the boss battle. It is by design.

Kindle a fire means to go human right? I had done it before with the twin gargoyles fight but I got owned pretty badly when the second one came out and I had been completely relying on the npc to stay alive.

Oh, and, I realized that there was a knight at the end of the bridge with the fire breathing dragon that I had been ignoring since I passed the bridge 20 hours ago. I stood on top of the ledge yesterday and killed him. When I picked up his loot I realized that he wasn't one of the bad guy knights, but probably an important NPC. Checked a gamefaq and it said something about him having an item that lets you play co-op. Did I mess up big time here?

Did he drop the White Soapstone? That's what you need for co-op.

Oh... he dropped like a dozen items. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet. He could have. I'll check out my inventory later today. Am I missing out on much with him not being in the game anymore?

And is co-op something more than simply a player character joining my game when I am in human form and have summoned one?

Kindle a fire means to go human right? I had done it before with the twin gargoyles fight but I got owned pretty badly when the second one came out and I had been completely relying on the npc to stay alive.

Oh, and, I realized that there was a knight at the end of the bridge with the fire breathing dragon that I had been ignoring since I passed the bridge 20 hours ago. I stood on top of the ledge yesterday and killed him. When I picked up his loot I realized that he wasn't one of the bad guy knights, but probably an important NPC. Checked a gamefaq and it said something about him having an item that lets you play co-op. Did I mess up big time here?

no, you need to be human to kindle. to be human is "reverse hollow". once you are human you can kindle the bonfire, which increasing the number of times you can use the estus flask.

no, you need to be human to kindle. to be human is "reverse hollow". once you are human you can kindle the bonfire, which increasing the number of times you can use the estus flask.

Oh lol... I haven't done that yet. Thanks for the explanation!

So when I reverse hollow, it uses one humanity. When I kindle the bonfire, does that raise estus flask usage by 5 and take up one more humanity? Is there a max for this?

Oh... he dropped like a dozen items. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet. He could have. I'll check out my inventory later today. Am I missing out on much with him not being in the game anymore?

And is co-op something more than simply a player character joining my game when I am in human form and have summoned one?

Soliare of Astora is a summonable NPC for 3 boss fights, including the final boss.
I wouldn't start the game over or anything, but he is probably the most useful NPC in the game for boss battles.
You already missed him in one battle (Gaping Dragon), and the alternative is to summon a real player, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Oh lol... I haven't done that yet. Thanks for the explanation!

So when I reverse hollow, it uses one humanity. When I kindle the bonfire, does that raise estus flask usage by 5 and take up one more humanity? Is there a max for this?

You can kindle a bonfire twice, before getting an item DOWN from firelink far away, that will let you max them at 3 times. 20 estus flasks

You can tell if something is a DEX or STR weapon by it's "scaling" for that attribute. Every point in dex will increase the weapon's damage by a set multiple of it's scaling level. In order of least to most powerful scaling is E, D, C, B, A, S
http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Dexterity

The Katana you got from the merchant is a DEX scaling weapon, when you upgrade weapons they sometimes move to the next scaling level (so from B to A or A to S) and get a large bump in damage relative to the last upgrade. The open hand icon is for DEX scaling and it will have a letter with it. If you look at the longbow it has A scaling for Dex and goes to S scaling when upgraded. The Katana starts at B scaling and goes to A scaling at +14 upgraded.

Last edited:
Soliare of Astora is a summonable NPC for 3 boss fights, including the final boss.
I wouldn't start the game over or anything, but he is probably the most useful NPC in the game for boss battles.
You already missed him in one battle (Gaping Dragon), and the alternative is to summon a real player, so I wouldn't worry about it.

You can kindle a bonfire twice, before getting an item DOWN from firelink far away, that will let you max them at 3 times. 20 estus flasks

Appreciate this! If and when I start NG+, will killed NPCs return?

So does kindling once simply use one humanity?

You can tell if something is a DEX or STR weapon by it's "scaling" for that attribute. Every point in dex will increase the weapon's damage by a set multiple of it's scaling level. In order of least to most powerful scaling is E, D, C, B, A, S
http://darksouls.wikia.com/wiki/Dexterity

The Katana you got from the merchant is a DEX scaling weapon, when you upgrade weapons they sometimes move to the next scaling level (so from B to A or A to S) and get a large bump in damage relative to the last upgrade. The open hand icon is for DEX scaling and it will have a letter with it. If you look at the longbow it has A scaling for Dex and goes to S scaling when upgraded. The Katana starts at B scaling and goes to A scaling at +14 upgraded.

Thanks for the information! Good to know all the DEX I put in early not for nothing.

Appreciate this! If and when I start NG+, will killed NPCs return?

So does kindling once simply use one humanity?

Thanks for the information! Good to know all the DEX I put in early not for nothing.

each kindling requires 1 humanity, which you can do a max of three times.

In NG+, kindled bonfires retain thier kindling level, all NPCs return and all your sins are forgiven.

I know. DS2 being just 3 months away has me all yearning for this game.

My man. Right there wit ya

nLeVsN7.gif

each kindling requires 1 humanity, which you can do a max of three times.

In NG+, kindled bonfires retain thier kindling level, all NPCs return and all your sins are forgiven.

Wait... so kindling a fire takes it up to a higher estus flask production permanently?

Can't believe I didn't know this until now! (level 40 and 25+ hours into the game)

Wait... so kindling a fire takes it up to a higher estus flask production permanently?

Can't believe I didn't know this until now! (level 40 and 25+ hours into the game)

That's right :)

And it carries over to NG+, as long as you don't kill the respective Firekeeper(s). (ones without one are not affected)
But fuck that noise. I killed everyone at the end on my NG. :)

Grrrrr four kings....

On a side note I just got qelaags sword. How much does it scale with each humanity.

Yeah I never felt the need to Kindle. 3 or more fire keeper souls recharges your health enough per drink, that I never needed tons of drinks. and Firelink gives you ten anyway.

NEW Dark Souls 2 News in this months EDGE magazine
- Dark Souls II is FROMSOFT biggest game in the studio's history with the development team roughy doubled.

- Miyazaki is closely overseeing development of the game, unlike of what was previously reported.

- Production of the game was split in two, with Yui Tanimura in charge of battle mechanics and gameplay while Tomohiro Shibuya is in charge of world and design.

- The opening cinematic will be available for public sometime in January.

- Members of the Brotherhood of Blood and Blue Sentinels can fight PvP battles within their own Covenants.

- Hints of a new Covenant that will act as a police force hunting down invaders, adding an element of risk on those who seek to prey on weaker players.

- Dark Souls II world is about the same size of Dark Souls, but in regards of how proceeding through the world the player will be given more freedom to choose their decisions.

- Lifegems are being balanced and tuned, number of items in general will be limited to balance the game progression.

- Dark Souls II bosses will not be necessarily bigger than Dark Souls, just more interesting in terms of design and fighting style.

- Feedback from the beta was positive, the results of the test proved that Bamco's servers in Japan have plenty of capacity, though it will likely set up local servers in North America and Europe too.

- The darkness of Huntsman's Copse was a common complaint in the beta, FROM said that they are not going to make any brighter, there will be critical moments where you will be forced to choose between a shield's protection and a torch's vision.

- The team cranked up the difficulty but it's still debating whether it's too hard or too easy.

- Regarding the PC version, Tanimura says the game development is based on PC and they will make sure that the main PC game features are supported.

- Regarding Playstation 4 and Xbox One versions Tanimura said that "We have not put any thought into this yet, so I unfortunately can’t answer at this point."

More details in the magazine.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=737332

New article also from EDGE with what happened with Dark Souls PC development, how Bamco shoved it out the door, and why part 2 will be a much better and respectable PC game.
http://www.edge-online.com/features...pc-version-was-rushed-problems-were-expected/

That's right :)

And it carries over to NG+, as long as you don't kill the respective Firekeeper(s). (ones without one are not affected)
But fuck that noise. I killed everyone at the end on my NG. :)

Wasn't planning on killing any firekeepers but someone seems to have killed my old blind lady :(

Now I have to find another one to upgrade my flask.

Took out that hydra and the wolf with the sword, pretty neat fights. Three tries each.

Got to the top of Blighttown and into a drake area. Cleared them but couldn't open the gate. Feel like I missed something back in Blighttown.

Back