DAN A4-SFX: The smallest gaming case in the world

These low profile connectors are really cool, maybe these could be included with the case?

That kind of request doesn't make sense. All unnecessary/extra accessories, are each people choice.

I'd like to have a small blue led flexilight inside, but I'm not going to ask Dondan to include it. You can buy it if you want.

Today I ordered a Silverstone 500w SFX-L and the Cooltek LP53 cooler.

This would be the Testhardware:

CPU: Xeon 1230v2
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asrock Z77E-Itx
Cooler: Noctua L9i and Cooltek LP53 both with Noctua A9x14 fan
GPU: GTX 780 reference and MSI GTX 580 TwinFrozer
PSU:Silverstone SFX-L 500W and SFX 450W
Riser: 3M 250mm and Noname shielded 270mm

I feel like there it's more to work on quality control side, i know it's just a prototype but it's far from Ncase. Don't get me wrong, i love the case and i will buy it when it's available. With the perfect layout it would be a shame to not have a perfect quality.
Max GPU length it's 295mm? i mean GTX 960 G1 from Gigabyte will fit? it's exactly 295mm.

I feel like there it's more to work on quality control side, i know it's just a prototype but it's far from Ncase. Don't get me wrong, i love the case and i will buy it when it's available. With the perfect layout it would be a shame to not have a perfect quality.
Max GPU length it's 295mm? i mean GTX 960 G1 from Gigabyte will fit? it's exactly 295mm.

What issues are you saying cause this to be lower quality than NCase? They're both being produced by Lian-Li.

Are you sure the Gigabyte Windforce will not fit? It's 295mm long (GTX960) without braket from what i know.

I don't think that's a good idea, for example i don't want to play extra for something i will never use.

Ahh, I see your point.

That kind of request doesn't make sense. All unnecessary/extra accessories, are each people choice.

I'd like to have a small blue led flexilight inside, but I'm not going to ask Dondan to include it. You can buy it if you want.

Yes, my brain must have sharted whilst I posted this. I think I meant to ask if these would be available from the same place the case will, speaking of which, who will it be sold through?

What issues are you saying cause this to be lower quality than NCase? They're both being produced by Lian-Li.

Yeah, I don't get it either.

Here are some examples:
gRIYqax.jpg

C2DVEQF.jpg

u1bsQ96.jpg

Usually in reality you can make the difference better. Not some huge things but i notice them.

You realize the NCase had similar issues, right? Some wobble, panel fitment issues, bent panels, etc. People were still satisfied with them overall, but it did have issues.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my NCase despite any flaws. Based on experience, the QC will be fine - i.e. Lian-Li quality

I just think it's a bit unfair to judge that this first prototype is already worse in terms of QC than the NCase. Some of the things you pointed out could just be errant aluminum shavings from the machining process, or easily adjustable gaps that would even out within tolerance with a bit of elbow grease.

With all that said, it's a good thing to point these potential issues out so that Dan has a chance to rectify them with Lian-Li before production. That's kind of the point of a prototype, and the NCase had a few prototype iterations also.

Honestly, these are just normal variations that are the result of the way it's manufactured, and you'll find the same kind of things in the M1 if you go looking for them. The USB port cutout, for example, shows the same slight bowing and punch-in at the edges, and a certain amount of variation in panel flatness is expected when you punch it full of holes. You'll also get small "jaggies" on the edges due to way the NCT does the cutting. Lian Li's own models have the same imperfections.

The best you can really do is try to design to minimize them, e.g., use laser cutting instead of the NCT on highly visible exterior edges, incorporate flanges or stamping to straighten and strengthen panels, etc. Those aren't always an option though, and using laser cutting adds cost, which is already prohibitively high for some people.

You realize the NCase had similar issues, right? Some wobble, panel fitment issues, bent panels, etc. People were still satisfied with them overall, but it did have issues.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love my NCase despite any flaws. Based on experience, the QC will be fine - i.e. Lian-Li quality

I just think it's a bit unfair to judge that this first prototype is already worse in terms of QC than the NCase. Some of the things you pointed out could just be errant aluminum shavings from the machining process, or easily adjustable gaps that would even out within tolerance with a bit of elbow grease.

With all that said, it's a good thing to point these potential issues out so that Dan has a chance to rectify them with Lian-Li before production. That's kind of the point of a prototype, and the NCase had a few prototype iterations also.

+1
It's good to bring these to dondan's attention, like I did, but declaring that A4 is lower quality than M1 is both unfair and ignorant, especially given that they share the same manufacturer, using the same material.

You can say all you want about aesthetics, as it's personal, but it has nothing to do with quality. dondan demonstrated plenty that he's a good designer, I dare say as good as Necere.

@Woxys:
I number the points you marked to give some information about it.

griyqaxlkuq6.jpg

1)The reason for this is the thickness of the sidepanels. On the picture it is 1mm. The new ones I ordered are 1,4mm maybe this reduce these small anomalies.

2) This is very normal, every Lian Li Case have this problem. The reason are the pushpin mount points for the sidepanels. The pins have a bit of wiggle room in the inside of the clips. But you can arrange them to fit perfectly. LianLi made this shots very quick and forgott to arranging them correctly.

3) I think a bit of tolerance is ok, but I will check it.

4) If you mount the USB connector there is a bit of tolerance to do it. After screwing it, the connector will stay in this position. Lian Li skrewed it arround 0,75-1mm too high. I can easily mount it right.

5) They will make the bending holes smaller for the production run.

Last edited:
Here is a new photo of the case:

Again, really beautiful work. Looking forward to ordering one! Are there plans to do this in silver as well? I noticed your packaging mockup had black and silver check boxes.

I was only pointing this things out with the intention to help, and like i said i know it's just a prototype and i'm not pointing fingers here. Glad you took time and respond @dondan
One more thing, can you confirm that the max length of the GPU it's 295mm and not 1mm long? I'm just curios if Gigabyte GTX 960 G1 Gaming will fit, it's 295mm long.

Again, really beautiful work. Looking forward to ordering one! Are there plans to do this in silver as well? I noticed your packaging mockup had black and silver check boxes.

I really hope we get a choice of a silver one. I would get both if that was a option.

Dondan, I don't know if it's too late in the process, but I have an idea that would remove the bends on the front panel, by using a bracket on the front that would also double as an SSD bracket. I'll do a sketch up if you're interested... :)

For the issues 1 and 2, the only way to remove them 100℅ is to go back to classical screwing concept as it was on Lian Li V354 case. I owned one and it was perfect. I know the pins have been developed in order to have a quick access to the components. But when the build is done, we will not check it so much.

I totally respect the setup as it is but when I see the NCase v2 I have, the pin towers are definitely deforming the side panel.

For the issues 1 and 2, the only way to remove them 100℅ is to go back to classical screwing concept as it was on Lian Li V354 case. I owned one and it was perfect. I know the pins have been developed in order to have a quick access to the components. But when the build is done, we will not check it so much.

I totally respect the setup as it is but when I see the NCase v2 I have, the pin towers are definitely deforming the side panel.

+1
Agree with that, pins are good too but i prefer the traditional screwing for that perfect fit. Just my opinion.
Beside, i already plan to replace the side panels with black-tent acrylic ones.

Dondan, I don't know if it's too late in the process, but I have an idea that would remove the bends on the front panel, by using a bracket on the front that would also double as an SSD bracket. I'll do a sketch up if you're interested... :)

Seems like the front bends can be eliminated completely if the mounting post plastic clips for the side panels are attached to the inner frame instead.

@vips & gryphon: Eliminating the front bend is not possible, because wee need this bend to mount the powerswitchholder on it.

powerm8q0e.jpg

@readeh: You can choose between silver and black.

@vips & gryphon: Eliminating the front bend is not possible, because wee need this bend to mount the powerswitchholder on it.

*snip*

But you can mount that using the lip at the bottom of the front panel. All you'd have to do is redesign that small bracket, and adjust the cut on the frame (front-bottom) a little to give clearance for it.

Edit: Here is what I have in mind about how to mount the power button. Dimensions must be off, but I believe you get the idea:

29yl6br.jpg

Last edited:
I will give it a thought, but your version will cover the hole for SATA-Cables. Maybe i could do it with standoffs that I stamp in near the PSW-hole. Or a smaller bracket with other routing. But for the prototype I will go with the actual version. It could also be, that I add this for version 2.

Last edited:
I will give it a thought, but your version will cover the hole for SATA-Cables. Maybe i could do it with standoffs that I stamp in near the PSW-hole. Or a smaller bracket with other routing. But for the prototype I will go with the actual version. It could also be, that I add this for version 2.

I don't think it has to block the opening in the front for SATA cables. You just need to size this small bracket accordingly. I drew it just to demonstrate the shape/idea. By the way, what's PSW-hole?

Once you do this, you can use a bracket as below to install the push-pin plastic female pieces. The bracket would install directly on the front of the frame. The user then slide in the SSD from the bottom and screw it on the bracket without removing it. Note that the male pins would now have to be on the front panel (unlike now).

2dam4up.jpg

@thegryphon: Thank you for your help, but if I will do it, I will do it by my own. The main problem is, that you don't have the necessary dimensions of my drawings to consider everything. Furthermore you don't have the guidelines from LianLi how the bending must be s.o. It is very nice that you spend your time to find improvements. Believe me, I made my thought about every bend, size and hole and this took hundreds or thousands of hours, so I don't wont to discuss every bend in this thread. It is impossible to made an improvement in 20min and consider everything.

The best example is the actual drawing, on the first view it looks good, but it will not work. With your version we will lose 1,4mm for the SSD (only super thin ssds will fit), the U formed bendings on the sides, are too small for bending it and we need min 14 mm height to bend it like you want (but we have only 10,5mm).

Don't get me wrong it is very nice that you try to help, but I don't want to discuss everything.

Just noticed something about the first post: It says that using SFX-L will limit you to one 2.5" drive. I thought it limited you to one in the bracket at the bottom and one at the front mount, or am I mistaken there?

@thegryphon: Thank you for your help, but if I will do it, I will do it by my own. The main problem is, that you don't have the necessary dimensions of my drawings to consider everything. Furthermore you don't have the guidelines from LianLi how the bending must be s.o. It is very nice that you spend your time to find improvements. Believe me, I made my thought about every bend, size and hole and this took hundreds or thousands of hours, so I don't wont to discuss every bend in this thread. It is impossible to made an improvement in 20min and consider everything.

The best example is the actual drawing, on the first view it looks good, but it will not work. With your version we will lose 1,4mm for the SSD (only super thin ssds will fit), the U formed bendings on the sides, are too small for bending it and we need min 14 mm height to bend it like you want (but we have only 10,5mm).

Don't get me wrong it is very nice that you try to help, but I don't want to discuss everything.

No offense meant. I'm not telling you what to do, I'm just trying to give you some ideas that might benefit your project. You should not underestimate the value of another set of eyes in the any work that you do ;)

Like you said, I don't have all the info, so some my ideas may not work, which is fine.

Here's my last attempt: Is there any conflict with adding small bends on the edges of the frame on the front outwards? Not the whole length, but a single 90 degree bend just enough to hold the push-pin female parts on the sides... Then, you can drop the push pins that are holding the front panel. With screws on the top and on the bottom, the panel seems to be securely held anyway...

Today I ordered a Silverstone 500w SFX-L and the Cooltek LP53 cooler.

This would be the Testhardware:

CPU: Xeon 1230v2
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Motherboard: Asrock Z77E-Itx
Cooler: Noctua L9i and Cooltek LP53 both with Noctua A9x14 fan
GPU: GTX 780 reference and MSI GTX 580 TwinFrozer
PSU:Silverstone SFX-L 500W and SFX 450W
Riser: 3M 250mm and Noname shielded 270mm

Pardon my ignorance, but wouldn't an LP53 be too tall for the 48mm clearance?

Edit: NVM - Didn't read the part about the low profile fan.

Last edited:
Just noticed something about the first post: It says that using SFX-L will limit you to one 2.5" drive. I thought it limited you to one in the bracket at the bottom and one at the front mount, or am I mistaken there?

One under the SFX-L and one at the front.

One under the SFX-L and one at the front.

Well then you should probably edit the text to read that it limits you to two 2.5" drives. And in the Feature list you should add a note behind Drive Support that not 3, but 2 drives are supported with SFX-L.

@fusionxr: This is correct :) I think the review will help many people by the decision if the should buy this riser.

@iFreilicht: Thank you I update the specification list.

Back