Crysis 2 preview

^ Definitely agreed.

As I just built a new computer, I had to give it the customary benchmark rundown and play through Crysis and Crysis Warhead. On max settings the game just looked so much better than anything else I've seen, while still feeling incredibly fluid. After playing the BF2 beta (which despite getting nearly double the framerate feels a lot less smooth), I realized just how much the dynamic nature of the CryEngine, the animation, and the motion blur made the game world so much more believable. It's hard to describe the difference, other than to say that if you see Crysis in all its glory, you'll understand why other game's don't compare.

I'm not impressed...the new setting looks like any old generic 1st person shooter...the graphics don't look that impressive either, which was Crytek's specialty...so now they want to focus on 'story'?...this game looks like a step down from Crysis in every way...a total console port

Last edited:
I'm not impressed...the new setting looks like any old generic 1st person shooter...the graphics don't look that impressive either, which was Crtek's specialty...so now they want to focus on 'story'?...this game looks like a step down from Crysis in every way...a total console port

There just scans you can't really tell what the final game will look like ....the scans could just be the Console version anyway and not represent what the PC version will look like.

There just scans you can't really tell what the final game will look like ....the scans could just be the Console version anyway and not represent what the PC version will look like.

it's not just the scans...the whole NYC setting is not a good choice...they went from a rural island/jungle setting to a urban setting in a major US city...just doesn't seem like the right choice was made in development...the graphics and story for the game just don't seem suited for this type of setting...the strengths of CryEngine will not be put to good use here

I just played (and finished) Crysis and Crysis warhead. Both bought cheap. Pure pleasure to play with a HD 5870. I'll buy Crysis 2 a year or so from now when Steam offers a "can't pass deal".

I don't think CE2 is nearly as unoptimized as people think. It does a TON of shit, a lot of which is transparent to the user.

It's one of the best optimized engines out there. Crysis performs remarkably well considering the amount of shit it's doing.

This might improve gameplay, which is the most important thing, but god it sounds stupid.

The aliens you fought outside in Crysis were robot drones I believe.
The freaky floaty dudes inside the mountain/spaceship were the real aliens. I guess they need suits to survive or get about in earth's atmosphere.

Well since the whole game is centered around the aliens that would be kinda stupid.

Most people didn't like the mutants in Far Cry, and again didn't like the aliens in Crysis. So it would be even more stupid to make them half the game again. Far Cry 2 had no mutants. At least that was one thing the game did right, getting rid of the mutants.

Crysis 2 could be a different crisis than an alien crisis, they could have already been defeated between games, the aliens could have gone dormant again, or they could be running another country and you have to mostly fight soldiers. Anything but more stupid aliens.

Even if you think it's stupid, action games can get away with stupid plots. Modern Warfare 2, has the stupidest game plot I've ever seen and yet it's still a big hit. It wouldn't have been a hit if you were fighting stupid aliens though.

Last edited:
Most people didn't like the mutants in Far Cry, and again didn't like the aliens in Crysis. So it would be even more stupid to make them half the game again. Far Cry 2 had no mutants. At least that was one thing the game did right, getting rid of the mutants.

Far Cry 2 was developed by a completely different company. Ubisoft bought the rights to the franchise but other than the name, Far Cry 2 has absolutely NOTHING to do with the 1st game. Shame, because I wanted Crytek to make the sequel.

Crysis 2 could be a different crisis than an alien crisis, they could have already been defeated between games, the aliens could have gone dormant again, or they could be running another country and you have to mostly fight soldiers. Anything but more stupid aliens.

Even if you think it's stupid, action games can get away with stupid plots. Modern Warfare 2, has the stupidest game plot I've ever seen and yet it's still a big hit. It wouldn't have been a hit if you were fighting stupid aliens though.

Don't get me wrong I didn't like the Aliens in Crysis either, I would much rather play against the Koreans but for them to take the aliens out of the game then I would much rather have them make a WW2 or Modern Combat game instead....or make a game along side Crysis 2 like what Valve did with Counter strike.

Regardless though at least they made the aliens human looking rather then keep the same aliens from the original and that I am glad to see.

The aliens you fought outside in Crysis were robot drones I believe.
The freaky floaty dudes inside the mountain/spaceship were the real aliens. I guess they need suits to survive or get about in earth's atmosphere.

That would be a stretch, considering that you witness the aliens entering those "exosuits" inside space mountain. It'll require a little bit of BSing or retconning to convince everyone that the aliens changed their technology and combat style between the two games.

I'm not impressed...the new setting looks like any old generic 1st person shooter...the graphics don't look that impressive either, which was Crytek's specialty...so now they want to focus on 'story'?...this game looks like a step down from Crysis in every way...a total console port

holy shit, you're already judging the game based off of a few scans from a magazine? And already blaming consoles?

Please, take your bitching and go somewhere else.

holy shit, you're already judging the game based off of a few scans from a magazine? And already blaming consoles?

no I'm judging it based on all the information that has been released about the game since it first was announced...including when Crytek decided to stop making PC exclusives

no I'm judging it based on all the information that has been released about the game since it first was announced...including when Crytek decided to stop making PC exclusives

That's great. I think the game looks nice. I like the new setting. Going back to the jungle for a 3rd time would be stupid.

And PC exclusives are a dying breed. Developers want more sales... can you blame them? They aren't doing charity work. They're a business.

At the same time I Don't think Crysis 2 looks "dumbed down". It wasn't a "smart" game in the first place. It was basically a tech demo.

That's great. I think the game looks nice

good for you...you want a cookie?

I'm hoping Crysis 2 is great...it's always better to have lower expectations and be surprised rather then have high expectations and be disappointed

good for you...you want a cookie?

I'm hoping Crysis 2 is great...it's always better to have lower expectations and be surprised rather then have high expectations and be disappointed

No, it's always better to not start bitching before you've played the game.

crysis is still the best looking game out there. AND IT"S TWO YEARS OLD

i think that this could be a great game. It could also be just ok, but I'm hoping Crytek hasn't given up on innovating, hasn't bowed to the marketing department altogether.

I'm not particularly thrilled about it being set in New York City. Grand Theft Auto 4 and Prototype have already done it and another game trying to recreate the city could come off a bit stale.

Since its set in New York I wonder if they're gonna be all careful about destroying buildings? I'm hoping for more destruction personally.

I'm sure the level designers are going to make lots of building with plate glass we can drive through but what about actual destruction? Bringing down small structures on top of dug in enemies or seeing the aftermath of accidentally clipping a support or two with your tank?

This game will be wholly shit unless they do one simple thing: reduce the number of bullets required to kill enemies to 2-3 and increase the amount of damage you're dealt, so it can actually be involving and challenging instead of tedious.

Well for one, they've already reduced the amount of non-head shots per kill a while back. I personally liked that it encouraged people to go for headshots for quick and clean kills.

It's funny,I don't recall Crysis being that bad as far as the accuracy or number of bullets needed to take down enemies goes. It certainly wasn't as challenging as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series! As far as the whole alien vs human enemies thing goes,I think a lot of people are projecting their own preferences on the rest of gamers. If everyone hates alien enemies so much,then why is the new AvP game getting so much attention?

As far as the whole alien vs human enemies thing goes,I think a lot of people are projecting their own preferences on the rest of gamers. If everyone hates alien enemies so much,then why is the new AvP game getting so much attention?

I don't think its the fact that they were aliens but that they were boring compared to fighting the Koreans. I suppose such as the aliens not being able to taunt you verbally, throw grenades, etc.

Also the fact that they used the same lame story approach with the introduction of the aliens/mutants.

There was no need for it and personally I would have enjoyed fighting a crazy scientist/general far more than having to fight 2 enemies without explanation.

Should make it themed with Godzilla in New York then let you play as a marine. Like the godzilla movie lol

It's funny,I don't recall Crysis being that bad as far as the accuracy or number of bullets needed to take down enemies goes. It certainly wasn't as challenging as the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series! As far as the whole alien vs human enemies thing goes,I think a lot of people are projecting their own preferences on the rest of gamers. If everyone hates alien enemies so much,then why is the new AvP game getting so much attention?

People object because the aliens are suddenly just thrown in there at you AND on top of that they're annoying to fight. Not challenging, annoying.

Like in Far Cry. You go from taking exposed enemies out in a few seconds(with a few exceptions of course) to pumping damn near full clips of autoshotty into a mutants you encounter almost every other battle. In Crysis, they start you off against conventional enemies and armor, then ramp you up to suit wearing enemies, then BAM aliens.

Wasn't as jarring as Far Cry but the aliens in Crysis were still annoying to fight.

AvP on the other hand is based around fighting aliens/predators from the get go. The atmosphere and mechanics are based around them. You even get to play as the aliens/predators.

the aliens in crysis were very uninspired matrix riff-offs

you'll probably find they were designed the way they were to showcase the tentacle animations that crysis is capable of, the first crysis was part techdemo, part game

I got bored of Crysis around half way through. I wonder if this game will have anything going for it other than eye candy.

The Aliens in Crysis were boring, but in Warhead they fiddled with the A.I. and made them a little more interesting.

Shame they made the rest of it so mundane.

Glad to hear they made an effort to fix the bulletproof Koreans.

The bulletproofing makes it kinda fun if you set the A.I to ignore you, then you can just play about with them.

Back