Crysis 2 preview

HardLiner

Gawd
3 years after crysis, whole world is in chaos, invaded by the aliens
-there will be a third party (maybe crynet systems guys)
-new york was destroyed by the aliens
-Military forces fight aliens at destroyes places
-new tactical mode enables player to focus at corpses and weapons and gather info from then
weapons:Name etc.. Corpses: Name, cause of death.
-Each nanosuit mode can be enhanced by modules, (module for tactical mode will for example display from what direction the enemy are attacking you ,etc.)
-maybe you are prophet
-the atmosphere will be a lot more intense (corpses swimming in water...)
-battles will be more tactical and with more oppurtunities
-multi height level combat (attack from top of the buildings or from holes under the street)-vertical gameplay ( jumping onto certain buildings to get an overview and plan your attack)
-enemies will try to attack you from upstairs and downstairs.
-aliens have changed a lot, they are human-like and use weapons now.
-story will be a lot more important;more detail and background will be added (similar to Bioshock)
-no word to the open world question and the MP question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOM44HTQd3w

scannen00084xx0.jpg

scannen0009y9kg.jpg

I think they listened to the fans and fixed everything that was wrong in the original game at least in my opinion,no more jungle,better environments(New York) cooler Aliens that look human,more emphasis on story,more death and destruction.

Last edited:
I can't get over the metal thong and giant bulge... urghh

It doesn't bother me but I like the kind of thing:eek: .......... just joking!

I was watching this old interview Cevat Yerli and he said
there is a highend PC improvements going on as well not just console improvements

and

Today we have research going on in highend PC that nobody knows about on the outside

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5YwGz5QsTA

I'm not to worried about it being a port to consoles,I think we will see more highend eye candy.

I liked Crysis despite how it basically put its boot on the throat of my PCs. I hope Crysis 2 keeps up that trend, we need more games that can push PCs harder while still looking good even if you drop everything to medium.

I liked Crysis despite how it basically put its boot on the throat of my PCs. I hope Crysis 2 keeps up that trend, we need more games that can push PCs harder while still looking good even if you drop everything to medium.

Yes it did, but I think some of that was just bad programming.. I hope the next one will have a better performance to graphics ratio

Hopefully the buildings aren't there just to block your way around the city. Would be fun to explore some of them from the inside.

"-aliens have changed a lot, they are human-like and use weapons now."

This might improve gameplay, which is the most important thing, but god it sounds stupid.

sounds excellent

while i found the original crysis to be boring ( i never finished it) warhead was alot better, they've spent the time on the tech and now its only about gameplay, i am quite anxious to see how this plays out

But will anything be able to run it?

The first crysis wasn't very good, I liked the original far cry (2nd far cry blew balls) and warhead, so I'd bet on this being pretty good.

Well it looks like its time to start saving for 2 i9s and at least 3 5970s so i can at least run it at 640 by 480 with minimum settings other wise 320 by 240 is all i will be able to run

Personally, I like the jungle setting from Far Cry and Crysis. I feel that urban setting is quite common in video games.

I just hope they can bring something new to this in terms of level design, rather than just another generic urban setting

Personally, I like the jungle setting from Far Cry and Crysis. I feel that urban setting is quite common in video games.

I just hope they can bring something new to this in terms of level design, rather than just another generic urban setting

But this is a sequel, so they need to change it up a bit. If they went jungle again, it'd be boring. I was already pretty bored with the jungle by the end of Warhead.

Yes it did, but I think some of that was just bad programming.. I hope the next one will have a better performance to graphics ratio

I read this a lot, the typical "unoptimized" claims being tossed around willy nilly.

I still to this day have not seen anyone produce this level of graphical fidelity with better frame rates, nor have I seen anyone point out any significant inefficiencies in the Crytek engine code.

Basically these claims are unfounded, the only reason they're made is because people can't run the game in max settings and feel a bit bitchslapped that their hardware can't cope.

I bloged about this effect "The Fabled Max Settings"

Last edited:
I read this a lot, the typical "unoptimized" claims being tossed around willy nilly.

I still to this day have not seen anyone produce this level of graphical fidelity with better frame rates, nor have I seen anyone point out any significant inefficiencies in the Crytek engine code.

Basically these claims are unfounded, the only reason they're made is because people can't run the game in max settings and feel a bit bitchslapped that their hardware can't cope.

I blogged about this effect "The Fabled Max Settings"

I've just saying that I've had better looking games that have run smoother than Crysis. so yea..

I know one thing, crytek cannot make a game to save their lives. They just cannot move away from silly cliches like some bad B movie. The mutants in far cry ruined the game, the aliens ruined crysis.

The games were good for the environment and the fact that they pushed hardware. I enjoyed the nice gfx and creeping around taking out soldiers, I did not like having a new enemy to fight with the original enemies for some reason still trying to kill me instead of the new threat. You'd think maybe they may have realised their leaders had not told them everything.

However, I will give them the benefit of the doubt as this does sound like they may be doing away with some of their usual bad story writing and maybe they have hired, or hopefully outsourced they story writing to someone with some experience at this.

Personally though, I like the jungle.

I bloged about this effect "The Fabled Max Settings"

I agree. To me Crysis on high (not very high) was the best looking game there was when it came out and still has the best graphics of any game I've seen. And running the game on high was easily done on any newer gaming computer. I would understand people being upset if it had came out and the best settings that could be achieved looked bad but it didn't. For example I played Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 and COD4 at about the same time, and at the time I could almost max COD4 and UT3 but didn't even come close on Crysis but Crysis was still the best looking one.

Last edited:
I agree. To me Crysis on high (not very high) was the best looking game there was when it came out and still has the best graphics of any game I've seen. And running the game on high was easily done on any newer gaming computer. I would understand people being upset if it had came out and the best settings that could be achieved looked bad but it didn't. For example I played Crysis, Unreal Tournament 3 and COD4 at about the same time, and at the time I could almost max COD4 and UT3 but didn't even come close on Crysis but Crysis was still the best looking one.

Yes, exactly spot on what I was thinking. It pushed the boundries a lot and offered advanced settings that no one had the power to use at high resolution, but it still looked good in medium settings and still scaled well.

I think they listened to the fans and fixed everything that was wrong in the original game at least in my opinion,no more jungle,better environments(New York) cooler Aliens that look human,more emphasis on story,more death and destruction.

If they listened to the fans they would have gotten rid of the aliens.

Gah, I just pictured a nanosuit wearing soldier hitting maximum strength and then pelvic thrusting a jeep only for it to go flying off in the distance.

Instant buy for me if you can do that in-game.

Well it looks like its time to start saving for 2 i9s and at least 3 5970s so i can at least run it at 640 by 480 with minimum settings other wise 320 by 240 is all i will be able to run

What!? You should be able to run Crysis 2 with your current PC at maxxed settings and 100fps. If not it's a buggy, unoptimized piece of shit. ;)

I did see something like that once that had a pretty deep examination of the number of polys displayed (claimed to be too high) and a host of other detail that at least sounded legit.

wolfen22 I would like to see what game you are referring to. There is no other game I can think of that looks BETTER than crysis yet also plays better than crysis?

I am very excited but also nervous about this sequel (I LOVED Crysis and Warhead and have played them to DEATH) but also very worried. I'm mainly worried about the setting of the game, and three years after the first game? So we'll never find out what happened in the blatant cliffhanger of the first as the protagonists go back to the island? What about the North Koreans? I did get sick of them being the only human enemies in the previous games but I also don't want only the new "humanoid" aliens as my human antagonists. How strange the aliens would choose to morph into "humans" as if Crytek couldn't find other human antagonists? I'd like to fight the Koreans again at least a bit in the sequel.

Why do I have a feeling they won't follow the story of the 1st game to please the console gamers that didn't play the 1st game. Will it end up just like with FEAR 2 which didn't follow the cliffhanger of the prequel probably because many console gamers didn't play the 1st despite it being released on their platforms. That was also dumbed down (mechanics-wise) for the console gamers vs. the 1st game.

How about at least have part of the game taking place directly after the 1st and then go a "three years later" in NYC? Please don't screw this up Crytek, avoid another "FEAR 2!" Don't let the consoles ruin this franchise so soon!

I don't think CE2 is nearly as unoptimized as people think. It does a TON of shit, a lot of which is transparent to the user.

- All the geometry occlusion and stuff is handled dynamically, nothing compiled like on older engines where the map compiler tries to figure out what you can see when you're in a given area. Take cover behind a dumpster or something, bam, framerate goes up. All this shit "just works"
- Poly counts are STILL through the roof compared to most titles. Scenes were up at 2 - 3 million at times in Crysis, still much higher than most titles dare go. Areas are enormous and wide open, you can still see trees and shit a billion miles in the distance without them fading into 2d cutouts or anything.
- Animation is amazingly natural looking. Feet adjust to slopes, people lean into their turns, change their posture as they climb, can stumble, even trip and get knocked down and get back up without it looking strange. Probably the best I've seen since GTA 4.
- ALL the lighting / shadowing is dynamic, every single one. Obviously this changed in CE3, so this may be faster there, especially in scenes with lots of lights.
- The destruction isn't groundbreaking, but you can still tear most buildings to shreds / chop trees to bits.
- There's no shortage of silly details in the game either. Shoot a barrel and oil will leak to the level where you shot it... Shoot higher, nothing, shoot lower and it leaks. GEEZ.

Could some things have been better? I don't doubt it, but Crytek wasn't shitting when they said everything is in real time. UE3 is still stuck using static shadows, compiling maps, etc. So many games try to cover stuff up with art / precomputating wherever they can... obviously that's good for speed and in most cases looks convincing, but Crysis of course took the insane way and throws all that out the window. It's either on at runtime, or not, it's never faked. Crysis on medium still does more than some new titles cranked to max.

That said, I think CE3 will def be faster, I don't doubt it as the game as a whole is probably much more intelligently designed to fit into the stricter performance budget. Can they get away with lighter-on-performance effects if they look almost exactly the same kind of shit I mean. Can they get shadows looking almost exactly the same but save render time? Maybe! But on the other hand, can their artists make an explosion or something that looks just as good but in reality is lighter in some way?

TLDR: I think CE3 will bring improvements, but people don't give Crysis / Crytek as much credit as they deserve.

Back