Counter-Strike 2 is official - Summer of 2023 - free upgrade to CS:GO

Seems they may be waiting for the Pro League games to wrap before pushing.

They have been offlining CSGO servers
1695842580770.png

Also it's out, I think

Game literally renamed to Counter Strike 2 in Steam.

Anyone been playing yet? I'd like to give it a go but I'm in a hotel rn soooo it won't happen until tomorrow.

Anyone been playing yet? I'd like to give it a go but I'm in a hotel rn soooo it won't happen until tomorrow.

I played a bit

Not sure what I expected but it's CS GO that looks way, way better with cool smokes and some quality of life shit

Also deathmatch runs like shit for some reason. I get like 250+ fps without much issue in 5v5 but I was seeing lows of 80.

Kind of insane.

I only played a few games in practice mode locally on my pc with bots and i have to say the game is super crisp.

Reactions: w35t
like this
I never really got into CS back in the day.. guess I'm used to the unrealistic FPS these days of taking 20 rounds to the face and surviving. These mechanics are almost like insta gib.. 1-2 shots you're dead. Have only played 2 matches so far, will have to keep giving it a shot.

Played a couple of rounds of office

I recognize that plant model and texture

I recognize that filing cabinet model and texture

I recognize those icicle models and shaders

This is just 3 Counter-Strike Sources in a trench coat and mustache! ☝️

Played a couple of rounds of office

I recognize that plant model and texture

I recognize that filing cabinet model and texture

I recognize those icicle models and shaders

This is just 3 Counter-Strike Sources in a trench coat and mustache! ☝️

I mean they basically don't give a shit about those maps

The major defuse maps had pretty good overhauls

guy judges an engine change on 1 maps textures. quite a few of the maps were redone in CSGO. The office is CS2 is not the same as CSS at all.

I still play CS:S, it's the better game to CS:GO. I doubt I will touch CS2 for awhile.
Why do you think CSS is better?

I'm curious because I've never heard anyone say that before. I've heard plenty of people say the original CS was better than CSS. Even from a professional CSS player at the time. But there was basically universal agreement CSGO was better than CSS. When they made CSS they missed a lot of the details that made the original competitive, and with CSGO they really focused on that.

I have problems getting this game to launch crashes at Valve logo Windows said I had Memory integrity off and I uninstalled some hardware moniting programs see if that helps. Stupidly uninstalled it out of frustration just think my PC was unstable with too much bloatware or the memory integrity being off.

I got it working must of been some proggy on my PC or the memory integrity thing.

Can't stand the game though played a good minute way too static yet rendered bright and clear. Something like Halo Infinite blows this out of the water. Uninstalled as fast as I could

I don't mind CS2 being free, but removing CS GO is kind of lame. Technically you can still download it and play on community servers by selecting an older version but it should be simpler to just download and play. For nostalgia and whatnot. Not that I care to try this, but I don't like older games being removed/having features removed when a new version comes out.

It’s honestly not THAT different. I’m enjoying it plenty, not into the new buy menu though.

I don't mind CS2 being free, but removing CS GO is kind of lame. Technically you can still download it and play on community servers by selecting an older version but it should be simpler to just download and play. For nostalgia and whatnot. Not that I care to try this, but I don't like older games being removed/having features removed when a new version comes out.

It's weird that Overwatch and Counter-Strike decided to call them new games when they're the same game. I guess it's because they both switched from paid to free to play.

Free to Play games can never have true sequels, it has to be a forced update otherwise they'll lose out on money from on all the players that refuse to move on to the new version.
Activision would love to shut down the previous year's COD game and force people to buy the new one, but they can't really go that far when people actually pay for the game.

Ja, I hate this trend of newer games completely superseding the older one, especially when the older one was "buy to play" like CS:GO and Overwatch. All the more reason to stay away from multiplayer-only games.
It’s honestly not THAT different. I’m enjoying it plenty, not into the new buy menu though.
CS2 is missing a lot of features at the moment that CS:GO had. There is no telling when or even if Valve will add it all back in. If they're going to supersede the older version of the game, the least they could do is start with the base content of that game.

CS2 is missing a lot of features at the moment that CS:GO had. There is no telling when or even if Valve will add it all back in. If they're going to supersede the older version of the game, the least they could do is start with the base content of that game.
What features are you referring to? The only one I'm seriously missing is Cache, ffs that was my favorite map!

I know no one will care, but it isn't currently working for me in macOS.
Complains of missing the CS exe file. Which is ironic, as .exe files aren't used on Mac. So, not sure if it's a bug or an actual issue with downloading stuff, or heck if Valve just removed compatibility without telling anyone.

Tried re-verifying the files, and that didn't fix it. Haven't tried to download it again, but at 30GB and I was just doing it for nostalgia, I probably won't bother again.

I haven't played CS anything for a long time.
I started at 1.6 then CSS and mostly played Gun Game then CSGO ARMS RACE.
CS2 suddenly popped up & I am bummed that ARMS RACE is not there (yet?)

Anyway, I am playing Competitive PRACTICE offline to relearn the maps.
Bots are easy in PRACTICE, so I looked for bot_difficulty in the menu & got nothin'

Searched online & found websites written by Ai (you can tell pretty easy) and they are spreading mis-dis-info.

Some said there's a menu option, some said a pop up & most said ~ for console > bot_difficulty 3 - but it doesn't do diddly.

I tried using 0, 1, 2, 3 and found no diffs. I also entered that "command" before a game & during a game.

Anyone know how to load EXPERT bots? I tried: bot_difficulty 3 and custom_bot_difficulty 3

Most websites I found said:

Code:
To change the bot difficulty in CS2, you can use the following steps:

Open the console by pressing the ~ key.

Type the following command and press enter:
bot_difficulty <difficulty level>

The difficulty level can be a number from 0 to 3, with 1 being the easiest and 3 being the hardest.

0 or easy: Easy difficulty.
1 or normal: Normal difficulty.
2 or hard: Hard difficulty.
3 or expert: Expert difficulty.

For example, to set the bot difficulty to hard, you would type the following command:

bot_difficulty 2

Last edited:
I haven't played CS anything for a long time.
I started at 1.6 then CSS and mostly played Gun Game then CSGO ARMS RACE.
CS2 suddenly popped up & I am bummed that ARMS RACE is not there (yet?)

Anyway, I am playing Competitive PRACTICE offline to relearn the maps.
Bots are easy in PRACTICE, so I looked for bot_difficulty in the menu & got nothin'

Searched online & found websites written by Ai (you can tell pretty easy) and they are spreading mis-dis-info.

Some said there's a menu option, some said a pop up & most said ~ for console > bot_difficulty 3 - but it doesn't do diddly.

I tried using 0, 1, 2, 3 and found no diffs. I also entered that "command" before a game & during a game.

Anyone know how to load EXPERT bots? I tried: bot_difficulty 3 and custom_bot_difficulty 3

Most websites I found said:

Code:
To change the bot difficulty in CS2, you can use the following steps:

Open the console by pressing the ~ key.

Type the following command and press enter:
bot_difficulty <difficulty level>

The difficulty level can be a number from 0 to 3, with 1 being the easiest and 3 being the hardest.

0 or easy: Easy difficulty.
1 or normal: Normal difficulty.
2 or hard: Hard difficulty.
3 or expert: Expert difficulty.

For example, to set the bot difficulty to hard, you would type the following command:

bot_difficulty 2
That was how in previous games but alot of the convars are broken or removed. I just tested all the ways and changing that convar does nothing. Even tried commnand like and putting it in my autoexec.cfg.

Back