Cities Skylines 2

Anyone still play this game? Just wondering mostly.

Do any of you all have up to 500,000 + population in your city ?

I'm still playing it off and on. It has good bones, but they just need to fix some of the weird glitches and bugs.

The one that still drives me nuts is the mail getting stuck on trains and not making it to the sorting facilities.

I think everyone wants to like and play this game, but as far as I know, it still has massive optimization problems that bring 7800X3D's + 4090's to their knees.

It's not a matter of desire at that point, it's just about whether or not it's even really feasible. It just seems like it is not.
I kinda hope it gets abandoned, not because it's a bad game and people don't like it or want to like it, but rather that releasing such a half-baked game should be unacceptable.

Even Starfield/Bethesda haven't released un-optimized sludge this bad.

EDIT: Grammar.

Last edited:
I think everyone wants to like and play this game, but as far as I know, it still has massive optimization problems that bring 7800X3D's + 4090's to their knees.

It's not a matter of desire at that point, it's just about whether or not it's even really feasible. It just seems like it is not. I kinda hope it gets abandoned, not because it's a bad game and people don't like it or want to like it, but rather than releasing such a half-baked game should be called unacceptable.

Even Starfield/Bethesda haven't released unoptimized sludge this bad.

Yeah. It is the new Crysis.

Even Prime95 does not make a CPU that hot. lol

Not really. Crysis was a graphical powerhouse and looked unreal at the time. This is just poorly performing.

But all the little city residents/sims have all their teeth modeled, all the time! Oh, and the traffic modeling is still wonky like CS1 and apparently rather buggy.

It's not a matter of desire at that point, it's just about whether or not it's even really feasible. It just seems like it is not.
I kinda hope it gets abandoned, not because it's a bad game and people don't like it or want to like it, but rather that releasing such a half-baked game should be unacceptable.

Even Starfield/Bethesda haven't released un-optimized sludge this bad.

EDIT: Grammar.

1706825796341.png

Sorry, faded since I have HDR on, but I dont consider this unplayable in any way? It certainly is not bringing my system to its knees, since its running in windowed mode with wallpaper engine running around it, and a YT video on a second monitor..

42 FPS in a city with 200k+ pop, all settings max. Its a simulation. There is no benefit to a higher FPS, and I could change the setting to focus from simulation speed to FPS, but as I want the SIMULATION in a CITY SIMULATOR to run as well as possible, I choose not to.

R7 5800x, 4070, 128gb DDR4.

The game is not perfect, but for fucks sake, stop exaggerating the performance. If its actually unplayable on any system similar or better than mine, the issue is not the game, its the computer.

View attachment 632091

Sorry, faded since I have HDR on, but I dont consider this unplayable in any way? It certainly is not bringing my system to its knees, since its running in windowed mode with wallpaper engine running around it, and a YT video on a second monitor..

42 FPS in a city with 200k+ pop, all settings max. Its a simulation. There is no benefit to a higher FPS, and I could change the setting to focus from simulation speed to FPS, but as I want the SIMULATION in a CITY SIMULATOR to run as well as possible, I choose not to.

R7 5800x, 4070, 128gb DDR4.

The game is not perfect, but for fucks sake, stop exaggerating the performance. If its actually unplayable on any system similar or better than mine, the issue is not the game, its the computer.
So your take is: if the game performs poorly it doesn't matter because it's a sim? And if "I" have worse performance than you, it's basically "my" fault because "I" don't know how to have a well performing computer?

Okay. Enjoy your game. You can have any take you want, but I'll call that a bad take. And no, I won't stop having my "opinion" about this just because it bothers you. You can be satisfied at any level. I can also be dissatisfied at any level.

So your take is: if the game performs poorly it doesn't matter because it's a sim? And if "I" have worse performance than you, it's basically "my" fault because "I" don't know how to have a well performing computer?

Okay. Enjoy your game. You can have any take you want, but I'll call that a bad take. And no, I won't stop having my "opinion" about this just because it bothers you. You can be satisfied at any level. I can also be dissatisfied at any level.
Yep. 42fps would be garbage imo. You don't have to sacrifice fps for "simulation", unless of course the game is spending resources to sim dumb stuff like I hear is the case with CS2.

The issue here is that you state it is unacceptable and beyond terrible, passing it off as unplayable on far better systems than mine. It is not unplayable, by a long shot, for the type of game it is.
You can choose to base your opinion off of the one metric that literally doesnt matter in this style of game, but in my opinion thats even worse of a take than mine where the fact that the simulation is smooth and the FPS is more than high enough to smoothly interact with the game, since 1000 fps with a brokem sim is far more useless.

This is not an FPS. This is not a TPS. This is not even a MOBA or strategy game. Its a city building simulator. There is ZERO benefit to an FPS of 30 vs an FPS of 90. Z. E. R. O.
Oh wait, what am I talking about, those millisecond road builds are essential! Oh man I didnt see that building pop from zone to a house for a tenth of a second!

But you do you, friend.

Last edited:
The issue here is that you state it is unacceptable and beyond terrible, passing it off as unplayable on far better systems than mine. It is not unplayable, by a long shot, for the type of game it is.
You can choose to base your opinion off of the one metric that literally doesnt matter in this style of game, but in my opinion thats even worse of a take than mine where the fact that the simulation is smooth and the FPS is more than high enough to smoothly interact with the game, since 1000 fps with a brokem sim is far more useless.

This is not an FPS. This is not a TPS. This is not even a MOBA or strategy game. Its a city building simulator. There is ZERO benefit to an FPS of 30 vs an FPS of 90. Z. E. R. O.
Oh wait, what am I talking about, those millisecond road builds are essential! Oh man I didnt see that building pop from zone to a house for a tenth of a second!

But you do you, friend.
/opinions

/opinions
Back at you. FighterAce124 isn't wrong about not needing high fps for a slow paced Sim game. It's not like you need 0.2ms input lag and 5000fps to quick scope that noob civilian on the intersection of Chester and Holmes. 40fps is smooth enough when panning the map. Sure, more is always welcome but it sounds like it's performing acceptably now.

Back at you. FighterAce124 isn't wrong about not needing high fps for a slow paced Sim game. It's not like you need 0.2ms input lag and 5000fps to quick scope that noob civilian on the intersection of Chester and Holmes. 40fps is smooth enough when panning the map. Sure, more is always welcome but it sounds like it's performing acceptably now.
/opinions

I agree that 40FPS is fine if you have a budget machine...

But needing an OC'd 96-core Threadripper and 4090 combo to break 60FPS on an "easy enough to get to this level normally" city is a bit ridiculous
It doesn't need that and it's not an action game needing high fps. Would you complain about a game of chess running at 30fps? :ROFLMAO:

/trolling :rolleyes:
You want to know what's trolling?: Trying to tell someone else that their opinion is wrong.

You have a different opinion from me? You think broken games are acceptable and that I should accept it? No, I don't. And I won't change my opinion on this until it's actually fixed. I have zero interest in playing this beta BS. Your attempt to "well ahchtually" me, is to say the least: "unconvincing". You don't get to decide what is acceptable to me. Period.

I have no problem with anyone else's /opinions on Cities Skylines 2. But don't quote me and try and "correct" my /opinion about it with your /opinion and then try to express it as factual.

If that's all you have to defend this game with, we can all just move on. Or do you want to spend more time trying to tell me that my position on broken games is wrong?

It doesn't need that and it's not an action game needing high fps. Would you complain about a game of chess running at 30fps?
Yes. Don't tell me what I need.
But directly to the exact point we're talking about: if a chess game gets 30fps on a 4090 and 7800X3D: that is either a game that was designed poorly and vsync locked to 30fps or broken straight up in its rendering pipeline. Either way that is a broken game.

Last edited:
I switched to Highrise City and so far it is pretty good.

Plus have 20 million population + now in one city. Yes the game is a ram hog but glad. Minimum is 16 GB. Recommended is 32 GB and you better believe it when it uses it!

Hope they fix Cities Skylines 2.

I switched to Highrise City and so far it is pretty good.

Plus have 20 million population + now in one city. Yes the game is a ram hog but glad. Minimum is 16 GB. Recommended is 32 GB and you better believe it when it uses it!

Hope they fix Cities Skylines 2.
Ill have to try.

I like CS2 but It's no where as good as CS1 with the mods, the last few nights is "fix traffic sim 2" I made some headway with mods, if TPME was available I'm sure I could fix it.

200k Pop on my city and I see 80-100% CPU usage on a 14900k. FPS has been fine. I have a server setting on my workbench with dual E5-2690 v4's. Been temping to see what CS2 does on that rig, just need to buy a PCIE ribbon cable.
After 22 hours, I miss playing CS1.

There a lot of little bugs and new 'features' that are annoying.

The Cims and their driving is still awful in a different way, stopping in middle or roads, roundabouts and making random u turns that make no sense and like CS1, Cims will ALWAYS change lane at the last chance.

Cims are obsessed with road parking. They will happily pay lots of money to park on the road and then walk home to their suburban home that has a private driveway, They will happily pay to park on the road and walk to the commercial lot that has free parking. They will happily pay to park on the road and then walk park the significantly cheaper parking lot I built for them. Cims should be prioritising off road parking over road parking in all cases. (Only way I've found is to literally make it so they can't park on the roads using wide sidwalks, grass or trees.)

The new Specialized Industry Areas are absolute trash, way better in CS1. Who's idea was it to also have circular zones, sure you can draw smaller rectangles and shapes by sight / guesswork (and I do) but the whole principle of it sucks. No variety means everything just looks... well like shit.

Schools? Also trash, you have plenty of schools but people eligible for colleges and universities do not attend them? So you deal with low education levels but not only that, I have no way knowing what the school range for each school types (Elementary, HS, college) which might be my issue but It groups them all together in the info view.

Some building types are too weak (Incineration plants have 4 times the processing power of recycling stations and also produce electricity. Needing to build 20 recycling stations to fulfill my 30k pop city waste is absurd).

"Not enough customers" pop up everywhere, even when there is a lot of commercial demand and where the commercial suitability is very high.

Trading system, it's not just hooking up train lines to the border anymore. No, you have to setup train line routes (like bus lines) Annoying as heck and doesn't seem to work well.

Some building upgrades are too weak (for example, it is 45 times more cost-efficient maintenance wise to build a new wastewater treatment plant than to add an additional wastewater processing upgrade).

Too few resources compared to industrial demand. I created wheat farms in every place I could build it, and still do not have enough production.

And of course, still no mods yet.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but damn. I thought it was better than this when I first started to play.
I want to give a update to this post.

The Cims/AI still suck at driving still obsess with road parking and car parks, though "Traffic Lights Enhancement" helps with traffic. No where near as good as TPME but it's a start.

Specialized Industry Areas still suck but the "Anarchy" mod made it more usable, you can actually make a rectangle or use the full resource with one plot.

Schools, "School Capacity Balancer" made it better.

Trading system, still hate the new system, but it seems to be working a little better now.

Some building upgrades are too weak, still the case.

"Not enough customers" is much better.

Too few resources compared to industrial demand, "Economy Rebalance" and "SignatureFix" help this issue greatly.

Sad to hear. It just seems like a worse version of CS1 which you can easily call Traffic Sim Crazy: The Game.
CS1 was bad but public transit was actually worked. Here, not so much. I have subway lines and bus lines that hardly get used

Ill have to try.

I like CS2 but It's no where as good as CS1 with the mods, the last few nights is "fix traffic sim 2" I made some headway with mods, if TPME was available I'm sure I could fix it.

200k Pop on my city and I see 80-100% CPU usage on a 14900k. FPS has been fine. I have a server setting on my workbench with dual E5-2690 v4's. Been temping to see what CS2 does on that rig, just need to buy a PCIE ribbon cable.

I want to give a update to this post.

The Cims/AI still suck at driving still obsess with road parking and car parks, though "Traffic Lights Enhancement" helps with traffic. No where near as good as TPME but it's a start.

Specialized Industry Areas still suck but the "Anarchy" mod made it more usable, you can actually make a rectangle or use the full resource with one plot.

Schools, "School Capacity Balancer" made it better.

Trading system, still hate the new system, but it seems to be working a little better now.

Some building upgrades are too weak, still the case.

"Not enough customers" is much better.

Too few resources compared to industrial demand, "Economy Rebalance" and "SignatureFix" help this issue greatly.
So CS2 is actually using all the cores/threads? pretty cool if a game is actually using the whole thing.

So CS2 is actually using all the cores/threads? pretty cool if a game is actually using the whole thing.

I can run a city with up to 350,000 to 380,000 population before it is too much.

Tried 2 million city. It worked but super slow. :(

what sort of setup?

Intel i9 14900k , 32 GB of ram, Nvidia RTX 4090, monitor resolution 3440x1440 (You would think it would be use my video card more but nooooooooo my cpu, though for this kind of game makes sense) and SSD drives.

I wonder if the latest AMD processors would run this any better? Doubt it.

Could be wrong though.

Read the developers limited the population to 1 million now :( In the latest patch or 2. Only cities built before them with saves will have 1 million + if they did to begin with. Not sure how true it is.

Intel i9 14900k , 32 GB of ram, Nvidia RTX 4090, monitor resolution 3440x1440 (You would think it would be use my video card more but nooooooooo my cpu, though for this kind of game makes sense) and SSD drives.

I wonder if the latest AMD processors would run this any better? Doubt it.

Could be wrong though.

Read the developers limited the population to 1 million now :( In the latest patch or 2. Only cities built before them with saves will have 1 million + if they did to begin with. Not sure how true it is.
That is gross...

So my 5950x is like 75% of a 14900k, I should be able to get 250k.

a 5950x is just two 5800x put together...so now we are down to 125k.

I have an fx4300...maybe I can recreate White Bluffs, Washington

That is gross...

So my 5950x is like 75% of a 14900k, I should be able to get 250k.

a 5950x is just two 5800x put together...so now we are down to 125k.

I have an fx4300...maybe I can recreate White Bluffs, Washington

I mean over 380,000 population it will run but all the sims and cars go slow motion then :(

Plus my cpu goes up to 100% cpu usage almost constantly.

I thought the main slow down was actually video ram and gpu compute because it was drawing all the citizens body parts even when you're zoomed out?

Here is one you do not have to sign up for. Local saved cities. It has 2 million population. It works but cars and trains move very slowly so simulation speed is glitched/too much even for my fastest cpu. Have a feeling it will do the same on you alls but I could be wrong. CPU usage is 100% constantly.

Direct source from where it came from here
View: %5BURL%5Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=481FjbbNiuQ[/URL] doubt you all will trust it but whatever. Scan with virus scanner.

View: %5BURL%5Dhttps://drive.google.com/file/d/1QC8ORYBUesDn7CIw_oAv9Bu9KCPCvftm/view[/URL]

Try the last file in the .rar or .zip compressed file. The largest size file.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 164805.png

If you all need help on where to put the file just ask. Doubt you all will.

Last edited:
Back