Buy.com a bit decieving

Jakalwarrior

2[H]4U
When you are checking out on an item with free shipping, the method of shipping automatically selected may NOT be the free one. I bought the "Creative Fatal1ty Professional Gaming" headphones for 39.99 with free shipping, my screen at work is a small 17 inch LCD so I couldnt see the far right hand side where the total price is listed, and I hit check out. Voula checkout done 47.99... WTF!.... Canceled order, tried again, saw that I had to downgrade my shipping to the slowest possible then it shows up as free shipping. It doesnt say free beside it though and it isnt automatically selected.
Not to mention they try to sign you up for a free 10 dollar off coupon after checkout, that isnt free and the fine print above it says you are authorizing them to give out your CC info to get into one of those lame little clubs etc.. so you can be charged if you say yes.

i agree as well. ordered an item from them last week and noticed right before hitting checkout that shipping wasnt free. I had to drop the box down and choose 7-9 day shipping that was free. To my surprise though, the item arrived in 2 days.

7-9 day shipping may be USPS or something. The main advantage with them being, they get it there as fast as they can and wont sandbag because you didnt pay for the more expensive :/ every time I order something from newegg with fedex express saver whatever crap, they let it sit about 2 hours away in texas for 24hours so it wont get here to early.

Yup I always double check my order total before hitting the one button to rule them all so I always catch it. But it most certainly does not auto give you the free shipping!

Brought to you by the retailer that starts its return/refund policies the day your stuff ships.

I noticed that too on a few orders. I made sure to hit them up for Free Shipping though. On one order it did take the full 9 business days. On another it only took 3.

I noticed that too on a few orders. I made sure to hit them up for Free Shipping though. On one order it did take the full 9 business days. On another it only took 3.

I ordered from them a while back, There was 3 or 4 options for shipping. Overnight, Second day, Standard and Free. Standard was listed as 3-5 day shipping and Free was listed as 7-9 day shipping. So i paid the extra $8 or so for the standard shipping. I get the tracking number and find out that it was shipped ground, i figured standard would be something like priorty mail. I called them up and they confirmed to me that (at least in this instance) there is no difference between standard and free shipping and they ended up refunding me the shipping cost. Took probably 3 weeks for it to go back to my credit card however.

I will not be buying from Buy.com again as long as their policies are what they are, and I will discourage people as best I can to do the same.

"I couldnt see the far right hand side where the total price is listed, and I hit check out." Hmmm...

I just ordered there last night, and I will admit, they did seem to try to be deceptive with their $10 off the next order offer, and I suppose I could gripe about the shipping not automatically deferring to the free shipping even though the item has "free shipping available" plastered all over it.

I think I'll stick with other e-retailers.

Amazon does the same.

I dont shop buy.com purely because there's tax. Amazon has treated me well everytime.

They practice some shady stuff.

That said . . here's what really pathetic.

The Google Checkout 20 off 80 . .OR 20 off 60 made for some hot deals when it was first reissued the other day.

Here's what's super lame:
They jacked up the price on all the "hot" stuff by 20 bucks. Gotta love the greed.

I just bought the Fujifilm S700 from Buy.com today with the $20 off $80 and free shipping - $152.99 shipped.

204297674.jpg

http://www.buy.com/prod/fuji-finepix-s700-7-megapixel-black-digital-camera/q/loc/111/204297674.html

I saw the shipping detail at the end - wasn't really a hassle. Any idiot can notice that the grand total seems to be more than the price they imagined. If you cannot see your entire monitor, that's unfortunate - but not their problem.

OP evidently doesn't shop online very much.
That default shipping thing is common. Quality name online retailers like Amazon and Mwave do it as well as many others.

I've had a number of really excellent transactions from Buy.com recently. The free shipping was incredible...even faster than NewEgg. I always get the items in two business days and even received one the day after I ordered. I was VERY impressed.
Having said that, if you need customer support, you're screwed. So I make it a point to be EXTREMELY careful when ordering anything from them. It has to be an exceptional deal.

I ordered some HDD about two weeks ago,they were fast in charging my cc but since then nothin happend,emailed customer service and never got a response,on the phone i only get "hold the line" and then i get cut off after half an hour waiting,customer service simply doesnt exist.Hope i still get my stuff or my money back.Worst company i ever dealt with.I can only strongly recommend NOT to do any business with buy.com.

The horrible shipping option I had to check to get it to show up as free came up with this for tracking

"Ship date
Apr 2, 2008

Estimated delivery
Apr 3, 2008"

Not bad ;) Must be close to me. I still dont like the shady crap though.

Am I the only person who's never had a problem with Buy.com? I've bought things from them for several years. I just picked up a 4GB iPod Nano from them on Monday for $80.

Am I the only person who's never had a problem with Buy.com? I've bought things from them for several years. I just picked up a 4GB iPod Nano from them on Monday for $80.

i didnt actually have any problems with buy.com, it was more of a concern. The shipping process was very quick...newegg quick. Merchandise was packaged well and all worked just fine. But having free shipping all over the product and having the option that isnt free shipping selected by default during the checkout process is a little bit shady. I almost fell for it. I am so used to Newegg now that i just fly through the checkout process without checking much and i have never had a problem.

lol thats the truth. the christmas before last I ordered a mp3 player from them. When I got the package it was empty with a hole covered in tape on it. When I contacted their customer service they said they had talked to UPS and that the shipping weight equaled the delivery weight. So I decided to go one step further and talked to UPS and they said they had never actually weighed the package. I ended up getting buy.com to send me another, but I will never ever order from them again.

lol thats the truth. the christmas before last I ordered a mp3 player from them. When I got the package it was empty with a hole covered in tape on it. When I contacted their customer service they said they had talked to UPS and that the shipping weight equaled the delivery weight. So I decided to go one step further and talked to UPS and they said they had never actually weighed the package. I ended up getting buy.com to send me another, but I will never ever order from them again.

Woah that's pretty shady. I'm surprised you weren't given a really hard time from Buy.com about that. But at least you got the product without waiting a couple of weeks.

I ordered from Buy.com 3 times now. I will probably NEVER ever order from them again.

SO far, of the 3 times I've ordered from them, only ONE product has arrived.

I'm still missing a $14 MP3 player and a $600 television.

I've emailed Buy.com customer service and no responses back.

I'll give them 3 more days. If nothing is resolved by thent, I have no option but to file credit card fraud with my issuing bank and reverse the charges. They were really quick to take my money, that's for sure.

I cannot recommend this company.

lol, its your money. It's your responsibility to double check what your're paying for not buy.com's

lol, its your money. It's your responsibility to double check what your're paying for not buy.com's

Yeah I agree, maybe I'm just a bit more tentative when ordering stuff online, but I always look at all of the options pretty thoroughly and stuff.

You'll never have a problem with Buy.com until you need customer service.

That sounds about right, and seems to be the case with a lot of places. I've ordered many times from Buy.com and have yet to have a single problem (knock on wood). So basically I think of them highly, but as soon as I have a problem, I'm sure my opinion will change (based on what I've read).

Well, I finally got my TV 3 weeks after ordering even though I paid for 2-3 day shipping and was told it'll ship within 24 hours after ordering.

I still haven't received my sandisk mp3 player. I ordered that 3 weeks ago as well. I called them and they said they call me back within 48-72 hours. This last monday, so far, no call back.

i ordered from buy.com, had a deal where u get 10 bux knocked off if you just sign up at some other website, shopper discounts or somthing, so i just simply made an account, username password email addy, get my 10 bux knocked off(gave me a code) then a month later i get a OVERDRAFT fee in the mail becuase apparently that shopper discounts is 12.99 a month?!? LOLOLOL

i never gave my CC to them or anything, buy.com must be a partner or somthing, anyways they ended up costing me 75$, but they did send me 12.99 back, but i had to pay the remaining 75$ in overdraft fees.

Stupid.

(and yes i tried getting them to pay it, which i could of done but then i would of had to go to my bank get the statement, fax it to them, and do 10 other things, so i just said screw it.)

i ordered from buy.com, had a deal where u get 10 bux knocked off if you just sign up at some other website, shopper discounts or somthing, so i just simply made an account, username password email addy, get my 10 bux knocked off(gave me a code) then a month later i get a OVERDRAFT fee in the mail becuase apparently that shopper discounts is 12.99 a month?!? LOLOLOL

i never gave my CC to them or anything, buy.com must be a partner or somthing, anyways they ended up costing me 75$, but they did send me 12.99 back, but i had to pay the remaining 75$ in overdraft fees.

Stupid.

(and yes i tried getting them to pay it, which i could of done but then i would of had to go to my bank get the statement, fax it to them, and do 10 other things, so i just said screw it.)
Something similar happened to me when I used FTD.com ... I started getting weird charges from the company I never gave my CC info too. Shady business to say the least. I got it sorted out but it was annoying. Luckily, I didn't have an overdraft.

never had problem with buy.com and i use them a few times and always use the free shipping option that supposedly takes 5+ days but i get my order 2 to 3 days max. not to mention i love the $10 off google check out. :D

Something similar happened to me when I used FTD.com ... I started getting weird charges from the company I never gave my CC info too. Shady business to say the least. I got it sorted out but it was annoying. Luckily, I didn't have an overdraft.

Is buy.com allowed to give out your personal data like credit card info without your agreement ??? Sounds like fraud to me.

Back