BioStar has its AMD Ryzen AM4 Motherboards Listed for Now

What the hell is an NPU?

Under specifications > CPU support.

maybe a reference to the opteron processors? only thing i can think of of the top of my head.

Intel stated that the move was to make CPU's more durable. CPU's typically cost much more than motherboards and they felt people would prefer to wreck a $300 motherboard than a $1,000 CPU. In truth I think it just shifted the manufacturing cost of the pin array from Intel to the motherboard maker and cut down on bent pins and warranty claims that they'd have to deal with.

thats what i remember as well when they did the switch but i figured given companies patent literally everything they produce i figured they had as well which kept AMD from ever following suit. but at the same time i guess leaving the pins on the CPU keeps the motherboard vendors happier maybe. but honestly i've never had an issue with either setup, even with the occasional cpu being pulled out with the heatsink..

Last edited:
Had two Biostar Motherboards - worked great no issues and that was over a decade ago - they were cheap but they worked just fine. Had one Asus and one MSI motherboard die on me but that was it. I hope HardOCP puts one or more of the BioStar AM4 boards through the paces. Sometimes the less known brands can distinguish themselves with some surprising smart good stuff.

Had two Biostar Motherboards - worked great no issues and that was over a decade ago - they were cheap but they worked just fine. Had one Asus and one MSI motherboard die on me but that was it. I hope HardOCP puts one or more of the BioStar AM4 boards through the paces. Sometimes the less known brands can distinguish themselves with some surprising smart good stuff.
I think we have one or two on the say. See if they show.

Reactions: noko
like this
maybe a reference to the opteron processors? only thing i can think of of the top of my head.

thats what i remember as well when they did the switch but i figured given companies patent literally everything they produce i figured they had as well which kept AMD from ever following suit. but at the same time i guess leaving the pins on the CPU keeps the motherboard vendors happier maybe. but honestly i've never had an issue with either setup, even with the occasional cpu being pulled out with the heatsink..

Incorrect. AMD has produced LGA (land grid array) based chips in the past. Remember socket G34? I do. Processors like the Opteron 6272 used this socket.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This board w/ the 3600mhz ram mentioned above could just fit the bill for me. I'd think ~$150 for the board and ~$150 for 16gb, add in a 1700(x), that'd be about my price point. Seems decent anyhow, it's not ugly anyway like their old mobos used to be lol.

What the hell is an NPU?

Under specifications > CPU support.
It is the new term AMD will introduce replacing APU with next generation graphics (rumour).

Only 2 memory slots on these boards , haven't seen that in a good while.

Back