BFG PhyX Available

I wonder when NewEGG and ZZF will start carrying them?

<- not buying one until the new Ghost Recon comes out.

Ouch, thats a little pricey...

I still see no PCI-E *cries*

I'm surprised people are buying it already, there is no information on what it actually works with, or if it does anything!

I'd be careful with this thing..

I hope it works.. I dont' want to have to upgrade. Its a PCI-normal card right?

Ockie said:
Ouch, thats a little pricey...

I still see no PCI-E *cries*

I have no interest in the PhysX card until there's a PCI-E 1x version. I'm tired of having all those slots and nothing useful to put in them.

aldamon said:
I have no interest in the PhysX card until there's a PCI-E 1x version. I'm tired of having all those slots and nothing useful to put in them.

True that. Also, why would you want old technology now when you know that they have had PCI-E versions as demos/prototypes for a while now. PCI-E is a much better investment and is the only option for those running SLI and a sound card.

Following the link through to here (where you can actually buy it in the UK)....
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/PhysX_Accelerators.html

..if you look through the included stuff it states;

[size=-1]"Software Included: BFG PhysX Drivers, BFG PhysX Demo DVD"

[/size]
[size=-1]Demo DVD !? What, so you get to only watch a demo rather than see it in real time?

I guess that's true since I can't imagine how a demo could require a DVD disk to fit on and you wouldn't use a DVD if you could avoid it since it costs more and some people may not have a dvd drive (unlikely I know).

So if you bought this card now it would literally be 100% useless as there's apparently not even actual demos for it?

[/size]

Mazgazine1 said:
....there is no information on what it actually works with....

http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm said:
20 Game Titles Announced for AGEIA PhysX in 2006:

* Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

* Rise of Nations: Rise of Legends

* Bet on Soldier: Blood Sport

* Cell Factor

* City of Villains

* Unreal Tournament 2007

* Gunship Apocalypse

* Sacred II

* Loki

* Dogtag
* Fallen Earth

* Crazy Machines 2

* Arena Online

* Diabolique
* Warhammer MMORPG

* Eye of the Storm

* Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

* Alpha Prime

Over 20 More Announcements in 2006

Well, I want one.

spine said:
So if you bought this card now it would literally be 100% useless as there's apparently not even actual demos for it?[/size][/font]

Yes. In my experience it makes no sense whatsoever, economically or practically, to buy computer hardware in anticipation of future features. Also, there's no guarantee the company will even be around by the time a large amount of games COULD use the technology. It's just a bad buy all around at this time, unless you have money to flush down the drain.

spine said:
I guess that's true since I can't imagine how a demo could require a DVD disk to fit on and you wouldn't use a DVD if you could avoid it since it costs more and some people may not have a dvd drive (unlikely I know).

So if you bought this card now it would literally be 100% useless as there's apparently not even actual demos for it?

Well if people have a PPU card and no DVD capabile drive, then they need to go back to the priorities drawing board.

Yes, as of right now this card is 100% useless... the only people who would buy it would be someone like mashie who wants to wave his e-peni around ;) When it becomes actually useful and availible in the United States, the price should be at least $100 less.

spine said:
Following the link through to here (where you can actually buy it in the UK)....
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/PhysX_Accelerators.html

..if you look through the included stuff it states;

[size=-1]"Software Included: BFG PhysX Drivers, BFG PhysX Demo DVD"

[/size]
[size=-1]Demo DVD !? What, so you get to only watch a demo rather than see it in real time?

[/size]

Did you ever think that maybe it is a DVD with real-time videos on it? Everyone is putting data on DVDs nowadays. I find it hard to believe that they would sell you a ~$250 and only give you a DVD with just videos to watch. I have been watching this board for a while and I can't help but see an overwhelming negative attitude towards Ageia and this hardware. I just can't imagine how someone could not be excited about this technology.

Yet, I read people complaining about the price, the interface and now the Demo DVD. If you don't want to be an early-adopter, don't buy it. It really is as simple as that.

On a side-note, I am glad to hear that the cards are starting to show up on retail sites and people are actually buying them. Good news indeed!

HA! I have never heard of, nor have I played any of those games.. Halflife 2, call of duty 2, Oblivion, nope I dont' see'm there. Therefore I'm not getting one..

I can see these games not selling well, its like when the N64 had the 'RAM upgrade'. Making games require ANOTHER piece of hardware makes me REALLY question why I upgrade at all...

Its not the death of the PC, its just the first fad for hardware....

These devices would be more beneficial at a lower price/ intergrated with a mobo.. (hopefully near future).

The mainstream consumer guy is just screwed, lol.

I really hope the SLI stuff works just as good.. It'd be more worth it.

Mazgazine1 said:
HA! I have never heard of, nor have I played any of those games.. Halflife 2, call of duty 2, Oblivion, nope I dont' see'm there. Therefore I'm not getting one..
LOL

Those games are already out.....they weren't designed with knowledge of a PPU. That's as retarded as everyone wanting their old motherboards to be able to work with an unreleased Conroe processor when the motherboard makers didn't have any knowledge of the specs of the future cpus.....

BFG said:
Originally Posted by http://www.bfgtech.com/physx/index.htm
20 Game Titles Announced for AGEIA PhysX in 2006:

* Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter

* Unreal Tournament 2007
You can't tell me you've never heard of Unreal Tournament or Ghost Recon? Have you been living under a rock?

BFG said:
* Sacred II

* Arena Online

* Warhammer MMORPG

* Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
These are being devloped by studios and people who have had alot of success in the past. Mythic, the Everquest devs, etc.

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1029268066&postcount=155

got mine last week from an OEM supplier...

ppu8pj.jpg

kraken0698 said:
Did you ever think that maybe it is a DVD with real-time videos on it? Everyone is putting data on DVDs nowadays. I find it hard to believe that they would sell you a ~$250 and only give you a DVD with just videos to watch. I have been watching this board for a while and I can't help but see an overwhelming negative attitude towards Ageia and this hardware. I just can't imagine how someone could not be excited about this technology.

Yet, I read people complaining about the price, the interface and now the Demo DVD. If you don't want to be an early-adopter, don't buy it. It really is as simple as that.

On a side-note, I am glad to hear that the cards are starting to show up on retail sites and people are actually buying them. Good news indeed!

:rolleyes:

Please read my sig and watch my worklogs, I'm the king of early adopters....

However, I can't early adopt something that I can't use, there is NO POINT in buying a card that wont fit into my computer because I do not have ANY PCI slots left.

Lets see, ditch a 7900GTX Superclocked for a PPU... I'll pass.... ditch a X-Fi Fatal1ty for a PPU that no games can run... I'll pass that too.

How about they release a PCIE version so i can make use of the PCIE slots which are starting to replace all the OLD technology PCI products. It makes sense. You build your products for the future, not the past.

As for the price, yeah thats outrageous for something that cant be used yet, $288 for the BASE version, I don't care about burning money for computer loot, however I do care about everyone else... there is no point I spend that much money and be the 100 people on the internet to be able to play the game because no one else could afford it for a single game or the limited game titles. I remember Ageia mentioning these cards would be going for $100 range when they were first announced... thats a huge diffrence.

Also, if you do believe in these things, then I have a new quantum mechanics processor I want to sell you, it's not working with anything of today yet, you can put it into your comptuer and wait... I'll sell it to you for $4,000.

Ockie said:

However, I can't early adopt something that I can't use, there is NO POINT in buying a card that wont fit into my computer because I do not have ANY PCI slots left.

You could always get another Mobo that has 3 PCI slots, the DFI expert is one that comes into my mind.

Ockie said:

How about buying video cards without a dual slot cooling solution...

I can see your point, but if the 78s can do a single slot cooling solution, then there is no need for the 79's to have dual slot cooling.

Thats whats taking up your free slot, if you have one, and if you havent a free slot, then use another mobo with an extra pci slot.

I know the asus a8n32 cannot have 2 79s and a soundcard and a ppu, but the deluxe can, and since x16 pci-e slots in sli is useless as we speak, then maybe it would be a good idea going back to x8 slots in sli to try this thing out, as the deluxe is uber cheap now and has gotten rid of a few of its nagging problems, or even the premium for that matter...

I honestly thought that with the 7800s, that dual slot cooling was out, but then we seen the 7800 512 and the 79gtx. Its crazy, we dont want dual slot cooling as it takes up precious room that we can ill afford :(

I dont hear it at all, I have 2 78s, lots of fans in the inside of my case, and the thing is noisy as hell as it is, but i never heard my videocards or i have never heard the ppu as of yet...

my extractor fan and my side intake are the ones that create all the noise to such an extent that everything else in the pc except one of my harddrives is in-audible...

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
I can see your point, but if the 78s can do a single slot cooling solution, then there is no need for the 79's to have dual slot cooling.

No offense, but that is a stupid statement and a fallacy. It is like saying there is no need for modern aircraft to use jet engines, because previous generations used propellers.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
I honestly thought that with the 7800s, that dual slot cooling was out, but then we seen the 7800 512 and the 79gtx. Its crazy, we dont want dual slot cooling as it takes up precious room that we can ill afford :(

Many people actually put on dual slot coolers even when they bought a card with a single slot solution. Watercooling anyone? Personally I want my watercooled dual slot cards PPU and X-FI, so I will have to switch Mobos...

Why do you find that a stupid statement ?

the 7900gtx have a smaller die = less power, less heat which should equal less aggressive cooling...

It isnt like jet engines and props, maybe if you were to compare a gf2 to a 78, then yes, but your calling a 7800 prop tech, and a 79 jet tech, there isnt that much of a difference between them to even think like that...

I personally cant see the need for a cooling solution as big as that for the small gain over the 7800s that the 7900 has, especially on a smaller die.

the only thing that I could think of which adds to the extra cooling is the extra 256mb of ram, but even then, its still on the big side...

Also the 7900s idle about 20 or so Oc lower than the 78s, so with the 78 cooling solution on it, the temps would still be way way below the safe threshold, maybe even still lower than the 78 temps and you would free up some space in the process...

I know there is after market coolers which are dualslot, but they are 3rd party, you can do anything to a card once you buy it, I bet that the 79 would peform just aswell with the 78 cooling solution on it, afterall the 79gt does

Also, water cooling is a totally different story, you are getting much better gains in temp decrease and also much better overclocks, so the added blocks and tubing make up for the cramped space...

Thats my opinion, and I dont find it to be a stupid statement whatsoever....

Ockie said:

Lets see, ditch a 7900GTX Superclocked for a PPU... I'll pass.... ditch a X-Fi Fatal1ty for a PPU that no games can run... I'll pass that too.

How about they release a PCIE version so i can make use of the PCIE slots which are starting to replace all the OLD technology PCI products. It makes sense. You build your products for the future, not the past.

As for the price, yeah thats outrageous for something that cant be used yet, $288 for the BASE version, I don't care about burning money for computer loot, however I do care about everyone else... there is no point I spend that much money and be the 100 people on the internet to be able to play the game because no one else could afford it for a single game or the limited game titles. I remember Ageia mentioning these cards would be going for $100 range when they were first announced... thats a huge diffrence.

Also, if you do believe in these things, then I have a new quantum mechanics processor I want to sell you, it's not working with anything of today yet, you can put it into your comptuer and wait... I'll sell it to you for $4,000.

Maybe you rolled your eyes a little too far..... I didn't quote you. I was responding to someone else. ;)

Anyway, I have an EVGA 7900GTX SC, I also have a X-fi card as well. Still plenty of room for this card, which I am planning on buying.

You seem to know your hardware, so you know that PC hardware manufacturers do not build for the future. They want and need to cover as much of a user base as possible. That's why it is a PCI version to start with. Ageia has already announced that they are working on a PCI-e version.

Oh and the price right now is most likely due to retailers gouging the price as much as they can for us early-adopters. You have a EVGA 7900GTX SC, you know what I'm talking about. ;)

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
How about buying video cards without a dual slot cooling solution...

Thats whats taking up your free slot, if you have one, and if you havent a free slot, then use another mobo with an extra pci slot.

I know the asus a8n32 cannot have 2 79s and a soundcard and a ppu, but the deluxe can, and since x16 pci-e slots in sli is useless as we speak, then maybe it would be a good idea going back to x8 slots in sli to try this thing out, as the deluxe is uber cheap now and has gotten rid of a few of its nagging problems, or even the premium for that matter...

Another option he could take is to get something like
this that would allow him to make use of the blocked slot.

If you choose not to get a card due to worries about continued game support and price, that's one thing. But don't cry foul on the slot type since the vast majority of people won't have any trouble fitting a PCI card in their computers, while having a PCIe x1 slot is not a safe assumption to make yet.

Given that, I do wish they had kept the dual socket engineering sample design.

Yea, thats a really good idea that riser, saves a huge amount of problems....

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
Thats my opinion, and I dont find it to be a stupid statement whatsoever....

Yeah, most people believe their opinions to be not stupid ;) (unless you have Multiple Personality Disorder and you like arguing with yourself) However, your reasoning was a logical fallacy.

Anyway there are very good reasons to increase heatsink size even if the TDP is less than previous generation product. Have you heard of the decible measurement system? (pun intended)

Also, I think the watt/mm^2 is higher on these new dies.

So you say, I am glad for you that you prefer video cards which have really big heatsinks and fans on them for no real apparent reason but to look cool, when a smaller heatsink and fan could "maybe" do just as good a job ? ....

I prefer the opposite, if you had read my post, you would of noticed that I said, I didnt believe my statement was stupid, but you seem to think I said my opinion ?

The second post was my opinion, and the first post was my statement ;)

The 7900gtx can easily run on the cooling solution found on the 7800....

The only real difference between the 79gt and gtx is an extra 256mb and higher clocks, so if the gt can do it, then the gtx can do it, albeit with higher temps, but still well withing the threshold of safe working temp...

I am sorry for you that you find nothing better than trying to pick apart peoples posts, as they dont subscribe to the same belief as you...

But since you have been here for longer than me, you MUST be right...

Since you mention argueing in posts, I have a feeling that it is you who likes to argue with people, and not people argueing with themselves as you put it....

I am sorry for your ignorance...

J-Mag said:
Have you heard of the decible measurement system? (pun intended)

Correct spelling is Decibel. It's easy to remember the spelling if you remember the originator of the measure unit (the Bel): Alexander Graham Bell. A decibel is 1/10 of a Bel.

phide said:
Correct spelling is Decibel. It's easy to remember the spelling if you remember the originator of the measure unit (the Bel): Alexander Graham Bell. A decibel is 1/10 of a Bel.

Woah. . .I never even thought about that! I've always spelled it right, but never thought about the origin. That's what I love about these forms. . .you learn something new every day...

Decibel dosn't give the real picture of how noisy/loud a fan is.
You should be talking in Sone's, not dB:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sone

The sone is a unit of perceived loudness after a proposal of S. Smith Stevens in 1936. In acoustics, loudness is a subjective measure of the sound pressure. One sone is equivalent to 40 phons, which is defined as the loudness of a 1 kHz tone at 40 dB SPL. The number of sones to a phon was chosen so that a doubling of the number of sones sounds to the human ear like a doubling of the loudness, which also corresponds to increasing the sound pressure level by 10 dB, or increasing the sound pressure by a factor 3.16. At frequencies other than 1 kHz, the measurement in sones must be calibrated according to the frequency response of human hearing, which is of course a subjective process. The study of apparent loudness is included in the topic of psychoacoustics.

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:
So you say, I am glad for you that you prefer video cards which have really big heatsinks and fans on them for no real apparent reason but to look cool, when a smaller heatsink and fan could "maybe" do just as good a job ? ....

I prefer the opposite, if you had read my post, you would of noticed that I said, I didnt believe my statement was stupid, but you seem to think I said my opinion ?

The only real difference between the 79gt and gtx is an extra 256mb and higher clocks, so if the gt can do it, then the gtx can do it, albeit with higher temps, but still well withing the threshold of safe working temp...

I am sorry for you that you find nothing better than trying to pick apart peoples posts, as they dont subscribe to the same belief as you...

Since you mention argueing in posts, I have a feeling that it is you who likes to argue with people, and not people argueing with themselves as you put it....

I do not think you can put smaller sinks on the 7900 superclocks for the reason is that they get quite warm already with those monester sinks.

kraken0698 said:
Maybe you rolled your eyes a little too far..... I didn't quote you. I was responding to someone else. ;)

Oopps my bad :eek:

kraken0698 said:
You seem to know your hardware, so you know that PC hardware manufacturers do not build for the future. They want and need to cover as much of a user base as possible. That's why it is a PCI version to start with. Ageia has already announced that they are working on a PCI-e version.

Which is exactly why I'm waiting and complaining everytime a PCI comes out. What I meant by producing for the past is that these older technologies are becoming more expensive to produce vs the newer technology... it's also easier to addopt new technology than older technology. Also, my reasoning is that anyone who tosses 288 at this card would be the person who already has a fairly modern machine and should have PCIE on thier setups.

kraken0698 said:
Oh and the price right now is most likely due to retailers gouging the price as much as they can for us early-adopters. You have a EVGA 7900GTX SC, you know what I'm talking about.

I didn't get gouged, I got a damn good value, they are still selling for more than I paid for mine :p I got it the hour they came out... so I guess I got lucky. The thing was that I knew the prices before they came out, they said they will be $499 for base GTX cards and when they came out they were $499 like promised. I do have a problem when they say one thing and do another.

Ockie said:
I didn't get gouged, I got a damn good value, they are still selling for more than I paid for mine :p I got it the hour they came out... so I guess I got lucky. The thing was that I knew the prices before they came out, they said they will be $499 for base GTX cards and when they came out they were $499 like promised. I do have a problem when they say one thing and do another.

You did get lucky! I bought my EVGA 7900GTX the day they came out. Paid about $620 for it. Where did you get yours from?

J-Mag said:
No offense, but that is a stupid statement and a fallacy. It is like saying there is no need for modern aircraft to use jet engines, because previous generations used propellers.

However, their are modern aircraft which utilize propeller systems. So by the way I am reading this, your's is also a fallacy because you feel modern aircraft 'need' jet engines? :)

Ockie said:
I do not think you can put smaller sinks on the 7900 superclocks for the reason is that they get quite warm already with those monester sinks.

QFT - those suckers get very hot.. they need very high performance cooling.. if a single slot cooler would have worked well I am sure Nvidia would have used that.. anyways.. even with the die shrink and less v they are pushing higher clocks which still generates lots of heat..

EVIL-SCOTSMAN said:

Why would you want a smaller cooler just because it can handle it? The 7900gt and GTX aren't very different other than ram and clocks yet the price difference is over 200 dollars. You're complaining that for over 200 dollars more they throw in a dual slot heat pipe cooler that is better than any other retail air cooler for GPUs? Get a clue.

Also 7900s still get very hot even with the smaller process. The dual slot monster cooler insures that some retard won't put them in a case with no airflow and RMA 2 weeks later because they constantly overheat.

If anyone has any pics, please send them to me to host, becuase Photobucket will get raped and it will be like the picture in the beginning of the thread where it got removed from high BW.

Back