Battlefield 4 Beta Discussion

Because the MSAA still isn't fixed from BF3 and leaves jaggies on half the things on screen. Using the resolution scale to supersample is horribly inefficient as well and not everyone can afford to SLI Titans. Post AA to Low or Medium (High is way too blurry) is a decent compromise IMO.

That's what I do. Post AA to low MSAA to 4x or even 2x and everything looks pretty damn good.

This game is bringing my system to its knees. My average fps is in the low 20s.

Now the only question is do I get a 7990 or an R9 290x before launch?

Seriously, this game eats CPUs for breakfast. I have a 4.5GHz 4770K and it's still crazy high usage. Does DICE expect everyone to have heavily overclocked high-end procs?

The new consoles are going to raise the baseline performance standard for PCs, as they did several years ago. I know a lot of people have gotten apathetic about upgrading because games over the last couple of years didn't really demand the latest and greatest to work well, but that's changing now.

Here's hoping for multithreading as a standard game engine feature and the release of 8 core Intel CPUs.

So far I feel like I am playing COD with tanks and planes than BF. If its more of the same crap I am seeing I will wait to grab it on sale in a year.

The new consoles are going to raise the baseline performance standard for PCs, as they did several years ago. I know a lot of people have gotten apathetic about upgrading because games over the last couple of years didn't really demand the latest and greatest to work well, but that's changing now.

Here's hoping for multithreading as a standard game engine feature and the release of 8 core Intel CPUs.

What are you talking about? This game should run same as BF3 when its done performance wise! I didnt see anything new or jawdropping in terms of graphic or environment/destruction! Theres no way BF3.5 is going to set a new standard in PC and have everyone who ran BF3 just fine go out and upgrade their computers because that dumbass building in the middle of a METROISH MAP in BETA isnt collapsing at 125fps on everyones PC's :rolleyes:

Game pretty much seems like a slightly upgraded BF3 to me, though at least I'm not having any technical issues.

I wish we can go into other building floors levels. This underground, floor 1,2 and rooftops is getting lame.

Yeah man, they should just add an additional 24 different rooms for each building and completely fuck up map balance because only 4 different floors is hella lame.

I took this screen cap last night. 1 and 2 pings. Another person came in with a 9!!! Oh my :eek:

hhE25KW.jpg

If you want to play Commander Mode, its an extra feature day 1 DLC hahaha! No but serously Im surprised it wasnt included in the BETA because they have been talking about it a lot!

I believe you have to hit a certain rank level to activate commander mode, and that rank level isn't available in the beta.

What are you talking about? This game should run same as BF3 when its done performance wise! I didnt see anything new or jawdropping in terms of graphic or environment/destruction! Theres no way BF3.5 is going to set a new standard in PC and have everyone who ran BF3 just fine go out and upgrade their computers because that dumbass building in the middle of a METROISH MAP in BETA isnt collapsing at 125fps on everyones PC's :rolleyes:

LOL! Yep, exactly this. You left out the complaints about price gouging and console ports, though. :D

So, I played this for 20 minutes. Man...I must be getting old because my nerves are frayed from the battles.

Anyone else not liking the fast past of the new game? Seems like BF and BF2 you stayed alive for at least a few minutes. This....you stay alive for 30 seconds, die...respawn in 6 seconds and do it all over again.

I used to play BF, BF2 and a little of BF3. Not a fan of BF3 due to the above reason, but loved BF and BF2 (was really good in BF2, getting top score a lot of the time).

Anyone else in the same boat, or should I keep at it and maybe it'll get more fun?

How do you activate the Battlescreen feature? I don't see it in the settings anywhere...

Because its not in the settings. Its a browser based feature. After you join a game, at the bottom of your browser screen is a blue bar that has a button "BATTLESCREEN"

its actually a pretty killer feature especially when in aircraft because it means not having to bring up the big map on the main screen. Only prob right now is it impacts FPS since it seems CPU bound. Used it for a couple rounds last night and actually made a noticeable difference so its more than just eye candy.

So, I played this for 20 minutes. Man...I must be getting old because my nerves are frayed from the battles.

Anyone else not liking the fast past of the new game? Seems like BF and BF2 you stayed alive for at least a few minutes. This....you stay alive for 30 seconds, die...respawn in 6 seconds and do it all over again.

I used to play BF, BF2 and a little of BF3. Not a fan of BF3 due to the above reason, but loved BF and BF2 (was really good in BF2, getting top score a lot of the time).

Anyone else in the same boat, or should I keep at it and maybe it'll get more fun?

You are absolutely right. I feel exactly the same. We must be getting older eheh. I was thinking of buying it but after playing Beta, hell no. BF2 gameplay was more "twitch" which is what I liked.

I really hope they are not using client side hit detection because running around the corner to hide from enemy fire and then dropping dead 4 seconds later after being in cover got really frustrating in BF3! That bullshit right there made me rage a lot! Since servers are laggy right now I really cant tell yet!

It wasn't that easy to see but the gun was jumping around like crazy when he was doing it free-standing. But yeah, it's not a severe upward climb like a lot of games have, it's more of just a shaking around.

You are absolutely right. I feel exactly the same. We must be getting older eheh. I was thinking of buying it but after playing Beta, hell no. BF2 gameplay was more "twitch" which is what I liked.

You are not old its the shitty COD gameplay. It sells and that's what EA is about. If they could make a buck with cock sucking simulators they would.:p

How to activate Battlescreen (button only shows up after you've joined a game):

a4hBDjX.png

And what it looks like when you use it (click for full size):

(could only take the screenshot in windowed mode, but it works fine with the game in fullscreen too)

Really neat feature, but as I said before, uses too much CPU and hurts my performance too much. However, if you have a laptop, you can log in to Battlelog and use your laptop screen to view the map fullsize, without hurting your framerate on your main rig.

I'll be waiting on a patched release with updated video card drivers to decide on if I need an upgrade. I'd rather just drop the video card settings than fork at least 650 for an incremental upgrade at this point.

My ponycar needs needs headers.

I'll be waiting on a patched release with updated video card drivers to decide on if I need an upgrade. I'd rather just drop the video card settings than fork at least 650 for an incremental upgrade at this point.

I wouldnt either! Especially when they will announce Battlefield 5 in January! Just watch at this rate it will happen.....

Anyone have problems with it just having a black screen and saying loading in the top right? I can hear sounds still... I think I had this problem with the BF3 beta, but I don't remember what I did to remedy it..

Anyone have problems with it just having a black screen and saying loading in the top right? I can hear sounds still... I think I had this problem with the BF3 beta, but I don't remember what I did to remedy it..

It's a punkbuster problem, you just have to run pbsetup.exe and update punkbuster for BF4. See this thread for more info.

Wow, they made armor have no affect on movement/dodge speed?

WHY?

That was great and it was a trade off, if you wanted the better defensive armor you had to pay the price by not being as fast and able to dodge.

I loved forgoing some protection to keep myself lower weight so I could dodge fast and move quickly, I preferred being nimble over being well protected, if I get hit it HURT more but I often dodged attacks more.

Taking this aspect away seems rather stupid to me and is an example of "dumbing" down what made Demon/dark souls great.

Ugg. This game pace is too damn fast for my old ass. I just cant react quick enough. That and the crazy smoke effects.

Wtf is with the way you throw nades? I feel like my soldier is retarded or something.... Also, the boat keeps spawning over buildings and land wtf..... Only thing were missing now is some giraffe necks on soldiers and concrete breaking med/ammo packs.....

Last edited:
Do you get to pick what battlepacks unlock? Or is it some random shit?

I think it's random.
Anyway, the games performance has gotten worse since it's been OPEN. Day 1 and 2 I had no issues, then once it got busier I get drops, and or freezes often. And it just doesnt feel smooth. Typical BETA though. I'm not that worried, it's just annoying.

You are not old its the shitty COD gameplay. It sells and that's what EA is about. If they could make a buck with cock sucking simulators they would.:p

so they made this faster paced? thank god!

id fall asleep playing bf3... my prayers have been answered

Don't count on much in the way of additional performance or a last-minute change in specs. The game is what it is at this point. There's some optimizations yet to come from the DICE side of things, but we're unlikely to see a magic update that adds tons of performance out of nowhere.

Ugg. This game pace is too damn fast for my old ass. I just cant react quick enough. That and the crazy smoke effects.

Then slow down and pick your spots. Prefire corners and generally try to set traps where you have the drop on people.

You should be able to hear people well before they appear. Especially with those Senn 800s.

Played again tonight. Had a little more fun as it wasn't just spawn and die immediately. I had several instances where the game would lag like crazy. It also looks like my 6950 is obsolete lol.

Played again tonight. Had a little more fun as it wasn't just spawn and die immediately. I had several instances where the game would lag like crazy. It also looks like my 6950 is obsolete lol.

I've been spawnkilled a few times. Now that the beta is open, the campers have come in and set up shop. Lots of helicopter lifting to tall points to snipe and use the airburst gun.

Something weird is definitely going on with the optimization on Win7. Obviously people are getting stutters during gameplay, but I'm even getting stutters during the end of round score summary. It can't even smoothly animate the experience bar. No other game exhibits this issue.

2500k, 6950 2GB

My results, just like everyone else has posted, specs in sig:

Running at 1080p all settings on Ultra (when available), 2xMSAA, Medium AO.
FOV at 90 (default 70), which should be rendering more polygons.
V-sync on frame rate at 55-60
* There appears to be a hard lock at 60fps, I never get 61fps etc even when staring at the floor.
GPU core clock locked at 1150
GPU RAM usage locked at 2GB
CPU all 4 cores around 90-95%, never 100.
RAM usage around 4-5GB
Using latest Catalyst Beta

Subjective results:

It feels like a 5fps slideshow. As if it is going between 60fps for .5 seconds then 1fps for the next .5 seconds
Which is weird because everything else is reporting that the game is running like butter.

Other odd results are, if I make more things happen on screen, like blow something up, it feels smoother, instead of choppier.

In BF4 beta so far with HT off things have been stuttering a lot. 320.49 drivers helped a lot but they crashed a lot. 331 Betas worked well but didn't do anything for fps.
I just turned HT on and BAMO! Huge difference in fps. Like massive, haven't seen anything like it ever. Smoothed things out incredibly.
Gpu/Cpu usage seems to have gone down(?) where as before they were both pegged at 100%.
Oh and for those running older rigs, my second sig rig, E6750 just hangs on loadup with a white screen. Nothing has helped, drivers, PB install, nothing. Good luck...
Just my 2 cents!

Last edited:
Back