Asus PPU Pictured

I have one more PCI slot wedge between my Audigy 2 ZS and X850XT PE Videocard but I wished they would bring out the PCI-e x1 version quicker.

I just hope the price is no more over a Highend Video Card, but more likly it will be since that is a Highend Version.

Okay, 2 noob questions:

1. What interface do these physics processors use?
2. How much are we looking at here? I know prices haven't been revealed but do you think they'll be reasonable?

The18thLetter said:
Okay, 2 noob questions:

1. What interface do these physics processors use?
2. How much are we looking at here? I know prices haven't been revealed but do you think they'll be reasonable?

1st Generation will use PCI, 2nd generation will supposedly be on both PCI and PCI-E.
Price wise, we're looking at $200-$300 :rolleyes:

Seems good to me. I use onboard 5.1. Weren't there pictures of PPUs out a looong time ago?

Russ said:
Seems good to me. I use onboard 5.1. Weren't there pictures of PPUs out a looong time ago?
not the high end retail model.

Just heard back from my Dell rep, they'll have the Asus PPUs available for sale late next week. You can currently only get one when you order an XPS600. Hopefully we'll see some 20-30% off coupons that can be used on these.

So now we have the red team, green team, and the blue team! :p

I think PPU's need to come down to $99 AND STAY THERE to be effective.

They shouldn't need juge constant upgrades like GPU's as far as I can tell. I mean if you can fill the screen with pushing around stuff like cell factor, why would you need more power? I am sure there will be improvements, but maybe every few years only a new card should actually be needed.

As a card it looks like a mid-low level caliber. Certainly technically nothing like a X1900XTX or something.

I bet the price is so high simply because they dont have volume production yet. That looks like a $99 graphics card. And that's where it needs to end up.

Give us a PCI-E x1 model... I think a lot of people have their slot sitting useless other than a TV tuner for that, this would definitely give us something to put in it :D!

P.S. At $100, I'd snap one right up in all likeliness.

EDIT: I hope it makes it to the second generation for the PCI-E models... if this thread is any indication, I'd be concerned about the lack of a PCI-E model if I were them.

Brent_Justice said:
What it comes down to is that I'd have to spend more money in order to run a PPU card. I'd have to get a new PSU and I'd have to either drop my sound card and use on board audio or spend money on an aftermarket cooler for my video cards. The latter is hardly an option for everyone, not everyone can replace their heatsinks/fans on their video cards, and not everyone will want to go that route just to have a PPU card.

I think Ageia is shooting themselves in the foot not having both PCIe and PCI ready to go from the get go.

Yeah I'd have to go with onboard audio as well. I am not getting rid of my SCSI cards or video cards to run one of those. Power connectors or power in general are by no means a problem. Considering I've got many unused modular connections not even installed right now.

Leon2ky said:
Yeah but at teh same time most of those people are likely using an old 9800-9600, which means they don't want to put out the $ for a PPU to start with.

Considering a PPU is a lot cheaper upgrade than a new system (which is the only real alternative for *any* of the AGP crowd), why wouldn't they?

MSR for Ageia is a P4 1.4 with a free PCI slot and 20 MB free HD space and a SM2.0 graphics card (those aforementioned 9600/9700/9800 owners). $250 vs. $1000. You do the math.

The first game to support the PPU goes retail on *Tuesday*.

Well the scenario in my mind is this - 2x 7900GTX SLi or single 7900GTX w/ PhysX card? Which would afford better overall gaming performance? I know this is a rather open-ended question with many variables, with a blanketing answer not seemingly so easy. And this only applies to the current market. Certainly SLi w/ the PPU is attractive, however we'd be talking closer to $1500, a price that may not reflect its worth in real-world gaming. Has this even been tested?

Meh.

I'm planning on building a rig around the Tyan Thunder K8WE motherboard. There is only on PCI slot and thats between the two PCIe x16 slots so will obviously be useless with two graphics cards there.

Now what I'd like would be a PCI-X version of the card (cos the only thing I'll have free will be a 133MHz PCI-X slot).

What are the chances of that happening d'you reckon? :rolleyes:

when pci-e x1 ppu,s become available, i wonder will they require a 4-pin molex too?

New technologies have always been introduced at a premium price so I fail to see why people are surprised at the price it's selling for now.

Assuming the PPU doesn't flop, I'd wait and hope that they release a PCI-e version - perferably after some sort of standard physics API has been established and prices drop. ASUS seems to be be more noise conscious than most manufacturers with their passively cooled enthusiast motherboards, so I also hope that they follow suit with a silent running PPU. I certainly don't need another noise source.

Back