Asus PPU Pictured

Now that you mention it, neither do i :( 3 PCI go to audigy 2 zs, tv tuner and switch bracket for UV lights thats all. I do have a power cable now that i think about it but no place to put it unless its PCIe

Do these cards really need fans? Its just another temp for us to keep tabs of. Cant they use passive cooling..i mean do they get that hot?

mashie said:
Is that due to quad sli or just a bad motherboard decision? ;)

It is nice to see they did stay with the reference mounting holes for the fan so a GF4 GPU block should fit nicely :D

A8N-SLI Deluxe with 2 cards in SLI + a sound card = no available PCI slots. Plus my other devices which eat up Molex connectors. I'd have to get rid of my sound card to free up a PCI slot, and even then I'd still have no free Molex connectors, most of them are already divided up, I really couldn't split one. I'd have to do some major re-arranging or get a PSU with more connectors and drop my sound card.

I figure a lot of people might be in my situation if they have SLI or CrossFire.

^^^ YEP.

They have to come out with PCIe or bite the dust IMO. I'd rahter go without a first generation PPU than toss my Fatal1ty sound card or one of my 7900GTX's.

Sounds like they're gonna have to start making extended ATX boards with SLI to fit all this crap, or you'll be forced to use onboard sound... Those don't exist yet do they?

great, just what we need, another card to take up space, create heat, make more noise, and take my money.

It's going to be really cool when they come out with a new version and that one is 350...then 450....then 550, then.... Yeah, now I need to buy 2 $600 vid cards and a PPU.

I wont buy into this tech till its integrated in the mobo or the gpu

I think I might bite. I'm not a graphics whore so one evga 7800gt will be cool. Through one of these in the mix to help out the games environments and other things and whaala, good stuff.

Lets see,

gateway 4010gt with a64 3500+, 1 gig ram, 200 gb hdd, other misc shit= $400
evga 7800gt = $250
antec psu= $75

Grand total for a pretty decent gaming rig= $725! just add your old monitor.

v6maro said:
I wont buy into this tech till its integrated in the mobo or the gpu
Yeah I agree. For that reason I will never buy a discrete graphics card either....only onboard video for me :rolleyes:

I love how every PPU thread turns into a bitchfest about "OMGz WTFz0r I don't want to buy anything else for my computer EVAR". Bitchiest bunch of "enthusiasts" I've ever known.

jebo_4jc said:
Yeah I agree. For that reason I will never buy a discrete graphics card either....only onboard video for me :rolleyes:

I love how every PPU thread turns into a bitchfest about "OMGz WTFz0r I don't want to buy anything else for my computer EVAR". Bitchiest bunch of "enthusiasts" I've ever known.

If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

Most people on here provide reasons why. It isnt like you just pull out the old soldering iron, and make room on the board. If you dont have another molex connector, than why have one?

If people think that the card will flop for most enthusiasts due to design issues for certain systems, mainly enthusiasts with a lot of equipment in their rig, they have EVERY right to complain. It seems as if the enthusiasts are looking even more forward in an integrated design to free up space for more equipment, ya think?

bmartin said:
If that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

Most people on here provide reasons why. It isnt like you just pull out the old soldering iron, and make room on the board. If you dont have another molex connector, than why have one?

If people think that the card will flop for most enthusiasts due to design issues for certain systems, mainly enthusiasts with a lot of equipment in their rig, they have EVERY right to complain. It seems as if the enthusiasts are looking even more forward in an integrated design to free up space for more equipment, ya think?
I agree that enthusiasts with SLI or Crossfire systems want a PCIe x1 PPU, and for that reason can't and won't be able to buy a PPU. That's different than people complaining about the amount of heat, noise, or money that a PPU will cost.
v6maro said:
great, just what we need, another card to take up space, create heat, make more noise, and take my money.

It's going to be really cool when they come out with a new version and that one is 350...then 450....then 550, then.... Yeah, now I need to buy 2 $600 vid cards and a PPU.
"Most" people complaining about the PPU are doing it for these reasons. I completely agree that a better implementation is needed due to space constraints, but please don't complain to me about the noise, heat, or cost, and vow never to buy one. If this is your opinion, I have a nice xbox to sell you.

Ever since the announcement of the PPU I wasn't too thrilled. Computers are going to get more and more expensive, just because we want it to be more 'real'. I like what nVidia's doing with integrating it. I'm sorry, but my computer gets hot enough as is, I really don't want to add another 3C to that mix thanks to a PPU card that'll hardly be used.

Brent_Justice said:
A8N-SLI Deluxe with 2 cards in SLI + a sound card = no available PCI slots. Plus my other devices which eat up Molex connectors. I'd have to get rid of my sound card to free up a PCI slot, and even then I'd still have no free Molex connectors, most of them are already divided up, I really couldn't split one. I'd have to do some major re-arranging or get a PSU with more connectors and drop my sound card.

I figure a lot of people might be in my situation if they have SLI or CrossFire.

Well, I can help you solve one of those problems. Get the Tt SLI Auxiliary power supply that was linked on the front page yesterday (here) With regards to the PCI slot issue, even if you have dual-wide vid cards you should still have a free slot. Based on this pic, there are 3 PCI slots next to the 2nd vid card slot. -1 for the vid cooler, -1 for the sound card = 1 left for PPU. Not so?

uzor said:
Well, I can help you solve one of those problems. Get the Tt SLI Auxiliary power supply that was linked on the front page yesterday (here) With regards to the PCI slot issue, even if you have dual-wide vid cards you should still have a free slot. Based on this pic, there are 3 PCI slots next to the 2nd vid card slot. -1 for the vid cooler, -1 for the sound card = 1 left for PPU. Not so?

technically there is one PCI slot free but whatever card you put in that slot will be right up against the video card obstructing the fan on an NV dual slot card (this would work though ok for CrossFire cards since the fan is internal to the duct), no air would be able to be pulled through the heatsink on the video card, it simply wouldn't work for NV dual slot cards

I am in the same situation. I'll have two 7900GTX's, one sound card and my SCSI card. No more room for other devices for me either.

Brent_Justice said:
technically there is one PCI slot free but whatever card you put in that slot will be right up against the video card obstructing the fan on an NV dual slot card (this would work though ok for CrossFire cards since the fan is internal to the duct), no air would be able to be pulled through the heatsink on the video card, it simply wouldn't work for NV dual slot cards

What about arctic silencers on the vid cards? Wouldnt the fans on them clear the PPU or sound card?

Well, take your double wides, 1 sound card,1PPU card on the SLI-Deluxe---it will fit.

Then take some double sided duct tape and place it on the bottom of the case and strap on a 80 or 90mm fan to blow refreshing cool air over that wad of cards. It might be a ghetto rig but it will work to bathe your cards in fresh air.

I drilled a 80mm hole in the side of my old Alienware case, where I used to have 1 GPU cooler fan I now have two, if I use the duct tape modification I think I could possibly cool the double sized G80 cards I'm gonna buy plus the two additional cards. :D

What it comes down to is that I'd have to spend more money in order to run a PPU card. I'd have to get a new PSU and I'd have to either drop my sound card and use on board audio or spend money on an aftermarket cooler for my video cards. The latter is hardly an option for everyone, not everyone can replace their heatsinks/fans on their video cards, and not everyone will want to go that route just to have a PPU card.

I think Ageia is shooting themselves in the foot not having both PCIe and PCI ready to go from the get go.

ASUS card looks secksay, always liked that cooler they used on the 6600GT/6800NU line. SIGN ME UP!

Brent_Justice said:
I think Ageia is shooting themselves in the foot not having both PCIe and PCI ready to go from the get go.
It does look like a major oversight. Many of the people with disposable income to buy a PPU are those that have 2x video cards and PCIe mobos.
Perhaps Ageia is counting on the OEM market, though I think that would be a mistake also.

I'm just upset because a girl randomly PMed me with some questions about a Dell XPS 600 that she was about to buy. I helped her out with a couple questions over a couple days, and then it dawned on me that she could order a PPU with her system and sell it to me! She wouldn't need it because she only wanted to play RollerCoaster Tycoon and Sims2. Problem is, by the time she got my PM asking if she wanted to do this she had already ordered.
Day late $ short.:(

DangerIsGo said:
Do these cards really need fans? Its just another temp for us to keep tabs of. Cant they use passive cooling..i mean do they get that hot?
Even if they dont at stock, they will when we OC them.

I have a free PCI slot but I cannot utilize it, it's being blocked by my second 7900GTX. :(

They need a PCI-e version before I can make use of one.

While I agree that they should get on releasing a PCIe version (I would love to see that flip over dual slot card implemented in retail), if the new SteamPowered h/w survey is to believed, less than 1% of the over 650,000 people responding are in this situation. It would seen that you guys are slightly in the minority.

uzor said:
While I agree that they should get on releasing a PCIe version (I would love to see that flip over dual slot card implemented in retail), if the new SteamPowered h/w survey is to believed, less than 1% of the over 650,000 people responding are in this situation. It would seen that you guys are slightly in the minority.

Yeah but at teh same time most of those people are likely using an old 9800-9600, which means they don't want to put out the $ for a PPU to start with.

BBA said:
It's $299 and you can buy it right now from Vance Research.

Go here and register: http://www.vanceresearch.com/newtech.php
The only thing you can do at the site is buy the PPU.
Bizarre....Do we know if they have it in stock? I'm betting I'd plunk down my 3 bills and find that I wouldn't get my ppu until June.....

Brent_Justice said:
What it comes down to is that I'd have to spend more money in order to run a PPU card. I'd have to get a new PSU and I'd have to either drop my sound card and use on board audio or spend money on an aftermarket cooler for my video cards. The latter is hardly an option for everyone, not everyone can replace their heatsinks/fans on their video cards, and not everyone will want to go that route just to have a PPU card.

Well Said.

uzor said:

The other 99% of the people are the people who wont buy the PPU.

It's the small enthusiast niche market who are the ones to be snapping up these $250 cards. The rest using old graphics cards would have more to worry about than a PPU upgrade.

People will have to start jettisoning their overpriced and (imo) almost worthless sound cards in favor of on-board sound. Unless you have a super cheap motherboard, it shouldn't make much difference anyway.

bobzdar said:
People will have to start jettisoning their overpriced and (imo) almost worthless sound cards in favor of on-board sound. Unless you have a super cheap motherboard, it shouldn't make much difference anyway.
Unfortunately, EAX makes a huge difference, for better or worse.
Now, the difference between an Audigy-level integrated solution vs an X-Fi is minimal, ATM, so that is an option, I suppose.

I guess it will depend on the integrated solution, but I had an audigy in my system (because i had one from my old comp that really needed it) for the sole reason that I had it lying around and had a free pci slot. I did not notice any difference in sound quality or performance vs the onboard sound on my computer (in sig). I don't think the onboard sound is anything special, but I took the audigy out because it was pretty much pointless. I've since added a hd tv tuner and now have no free slots, so I'll take a wait and see approach with the ppu. If there's a killer app I really want so I can make use of it, I'll just build either another (cheap) computer for the video stuff and throw the tv tuner in there, or It'll be time to upgrade. I really think it'll be the latter as I have a feeling by the time I actually see a need for the ppu it'll be a good year from now and It'll be time for a system overhaul anyway...

asag.jpg

Me like, simple but effective.

bobzdar said:
I have an Epox 9NPA+ Ultra and the onboard sound is GARBAGE. But, I do listen with a 300 dollar pair of Sennheiser HD650s. I guess my needs are greater.

Back