Assassin’s Creed Mirage

I wanted to play Basim story. I really hope they progress it and not leave yet another cliff hanger ending. I have been quite pissed off at both Odyssey and Valhalla endings.

so the main character, Basim was first introduced in Valhalla...I never played AC: Valhalla so I'm wondering if you need to play that first before AC: Mirage to fully understand Basim's story

so the main character, Basim was first introduced in Valhalla...I never played AC: Valhalla so I'm wondering if you need to play that first before AC: Mirage to fully understand Basim's story
Mirage takes place many years before Valhalla, so no.
Valhalla does some fucky stuff with Basim I would not be surprised if Mirage ignores it or totally retcons it.

edit: Also don't google Basim. You will immediately hit spoilers.

I wanted to play Basim story. I really hope they progress it and not leave yet another cliff hanger ending. I have been quite pissed off at both Odyssey and Valhalla endings.

They added more endings to Valhalla. I don't quite remember either of them that well because it gets lost in all the side stories. As long as this is more focused that would be a big step in the right direction.

Gameplay looks vaguely like the good stealth that I enjoyed so much about AC1 and AC2. Definitely hope they won't shy away from the cultural and religious background themes that the first game worked in - to me that was what made it so engaging. The decision to kill felt weighty and consequential, even if it was the only way forward in the game.

I really don't like the "auto-assassin" mode they showed in the gameplay - to me it is like they yanked the multi-headshot feature from Splinter Cell Conviction, but forgot guns don't really exist yet so....you can teleport now? I guess I can just not use the feature until the story demands it. I know some of the newer games make use of more mythical powers and people like it....that's just not what I liked about the series (yes I haven't forgotten the apple of eden - that was an end-game thing and....I complained about that too).

It's still early to say for sure. However, they might have my money if this isn't just a nostolgia cash grab fake out, and can actually remian faithful to history while telling a good, stealthy fiction.

I guess I’m one of the few who actually prefers the massive open-worlds of the previous three AC games. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, in particular, was just terrific. I loved exploring every inch of that world.

Also, I always liked building my own character, my way - screw stealth… I’ve had enough of it. Just allow me to pick up a sledge hammer and bash someone’s brains out.

(BTW, funny story… sad story, actually… I created an account at ResetEra many years ago… and I posted a comment exactly like the one above… saying I just wanted to create a character that would bash people’s brains out… and I got banned… for ‘promoting violence’. LOL.)

(BTW, funny story… sad story, actually… I created an account at ResetEra many years ago… and I posted a comment exactly like the one above… saying I just wanted to create a character that would bash people’s brains out… and I got banned… for ‘promoting violence’. LOL.)
That's ridiculous - on a video game forum?? Mods were looking to meet a quota....

I guess I’m one of the few who actually prefers the massive open-worlds of the previous three AC games. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, in particular, was just terrific. I loved exploring every inch of that world.

Also, I always liked building my own character, my way - screw stealth… I’ve had enough of it. Just allow me to pick up a sledge hammer and bash someone’s brains out.

Same.. I actually have liked the AC games since basically AC3.

Odyssey is the GOT, at least in my opinion. Valhalla is pretty massive, but Odyssey just did so many things better.

I think it's great that they are going back to their roots...my only question is why bring back Basim from the later AC games and not just craft an all-new character...it's like they want to appeal to both fans of the older and newer games

Well that is good news for once. Everything seems to get delayed these days. If they pushing up the date maybe they're also confident with it being a stable release, but I kind of doubt that. Will be interesting to see how the PC version is day 1.

Well that is good news for once. Everything seems to get delayed these days. If they pushing up the date maybe they're also confident with it being a stable release, but I kind of doubt that. Will be interesting to see how the PC version is day 1.

they are also probably moving up the date to avoid Spider-Man 2 and to a lesser extent Alan Wake 2

Alan Wake 2 is generating almost no buzz from gamers, and that’s concerning, especially because this could be one of Remedy’s best games.

Alan Wake didn't sell that well although it was originally an Xbox exclusive. Remedy doesn't seem to do much marketing either. In November 2022, Control sold 3 million copies only.

That is kind of disappointing because I find Remedy games to be fun and interesting. They also tend to have nice graphics and are polished without much bugs. I also prefer the shorter story driven style over the collect'em up games we see now days. But they just never have seem to get much traction.

Alan Wake didn't sell that well although it was originally an Xbox exclusive. Remedy doesn't seem to do much marketing either. In November 2022, Control sold 3 million copies only.

That is kind of disappointing because I find Remedy games to be fun and interesting. They also tend to have nice graphics and are polished without much bugs. I also prefer the shorter story driven style over the collect'em up games we see now days. But they just never have seem to get much traction.
The original Alan Wake sold around 3 million copies, just like Control. 3 million is damn good for a small independent developer. Max Payne is still Remedy's best selling game at 4 million copies sold.

Got Alan Wake in my PS library - guess I should give it a shot!

Also, that Assassin's Creed Mirage release date move is amazing - I'm working on beating Sekiro before Armored Core VI comes out, and then this.....the sneak and subterfuge of this will hopefully be a welcome respite after the razor sharp dueling that Sekiro is and hellstorm of missiles Armored Core VI likely will be.

Looks quite impressive. Also looks like they unsurprisingly avoided any religious imagery.

The original Alan Wake sold around 3 million copies, just like Control. 3 million is damn good for a small independent developer. Max Payne is still Remedy's best selling game at 4 million copies sold.

They're not that small. Something like 300-400 people. That is kind of my point though. Given their quality and studio sized you'd expect the sales to be a bit higher. And in their Alan Wake days they were owned by Microsoft.

I don't think Ubisoft is worried about competition from Alan Wake 2. I am cautiously optimistic about Mirage, and I do wonder if they can attempt to make a convincing story. That seems to be one of the biggest areas Ubisoft fails at. Gameplay looks kind of half done, not a proper stealth game and I question map/mission design. That I am also thinking is something that Ubisoft cannot execute properly. But I have more faith in the gameplay than I do the story writing.

Overall looking potentially promising. I've generally enjoyed the series since its early days and more or less the changes along the way depending on the particular title.

I have to admit here I do wish they would have explained Basim's "teleport assassination" thing besides "animus glitch". Maybe they will in the full game this reviewer hasn't played, but it seems incredibly lazy though I admit I'm fixated on this point. There is a VERY easy in-lore explanation they COULD use for this that I won't mention in more detail because its one hell of a Valhalla spoiler, but "he can do it because there's a special condition that allows him to" is way more legitimate than "oh he's just actually sneaking up each time, you're just fucking with the animus so it makes it look like he's doing it faster", as the latter begs the question of why have it happen at all, why aren't there other "hacks", or why cant' I just permanently tell the animus to do it whenever I want? (I'm sure the last one will be some sort of "overclocking damage / can't do it too frequently etc" explanation but come on). The "other" explanation seems far more justifiable, much in the same way that it was explained that in Odyssey the Eagle Bearer could do some of their more extreme abilities through both their lineage and the fact they were walking around with an artifact that, within the universe, let you bend the rules a bit. A minor "lore to functionality" quibble I suppose, but its still annoying. I rather hoped as we got closer to Mirage they'd report more details about the most controversial ability of their previous videos etc...but we'll see.

Edit: Any evidence if Mirage will launch on Steam alongside Uplay Connect? As I understand Ubi's horrid bargain with Epic Store is finally over and was just as horrible for them as everyone else, so I'd think they'd go back to Steam given Odyssey, Valhalla etc.showed up there. However, some suggest that it will be exclusive to Ubi's Uplay client directly for quite awhile and only will come to Steam after a delay - a mistake I'd think, given how many people in the older AC title days ended up buying on Steam which still launched a stripped down Uplay launcher or whatever so it is't like they'll miss out on that functionality from Ubi's point of view. Not at all a fan of exclusives, timed or otherwise and seemed Ubi learned that with things going poorly with EGS, but we'll see.

Edit2: In other AC news, AC Jade looks potentially promising for a mobile title but I fully expect it to be a bloody disaster monetization wise which is sad - its a co-op capable China centric game which really shouldn't be hobbled that way. AC Red is in theory one of the "big ones", the Japan Game (tm) that they've been holding onto forever because they know they can't mess it up and frankly there's too many others that have done too well from Tenchu to Nioh to the (still bloody not on PC and I am annoyed at this) Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut which will be a high bar to clear if they want to do an open world feudal Japan game. There are rumors that the main characters of Red will be...controversial , but no confirmation on this.

Last edited:
https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/5HKZEQn6zdHlK4LpgfwVdp

Mirage.png

Back