Apple 'Scary Fast' Mac event October 30th

Wanted to report back that the M3 can drive the Samsung 59 at 7,680 x 2,160 120hz perfectly from the HDMI port. At first I fucked around with scaling but I wound up just running the monitor full res since it's close enough to me to read the text fine. The real estate is absolutely amazing.

Wanted to report back that the M3 can drive the Samsung 59 at 7,680 x 2,160 120hz perfectly from the HDMI port. At first I fucked around with scaling but I wound up just running the monitor full res since it's close enough to me to read the text fine. The real estate is absolutely amazing.
Nice.

That's one thing Apple does right though...scaling!

The Adam Savage Tested episode is misleading asf, as they compare it again a cheap USB-C charging cable... which is... well not the same thing. Apples thunderbolt cables are overpriced bullshit and no one should hand Apple the insane money they charge for them.

The term that applies to Apple cables is almost always "They good cables, but they aren't THAT good."

Pricing aside, what cable does 1:1 what Apple's cable does? I don't know of any that have active electronics (2x ARM Cortex-M0 processors, one on either end of the cable) that ensure signal integrity for those longer lengths. Signal degradation being a major issue for that level of bandwidth. Who else has that?
It's called an E-Marker chip. It's part of the spec for a proper cable. So lots if the cable is spec'ed properly have this sorta stuff to ensure all that :)

Nice.

That's one thing Apple does right though...scaling!
Actually, I'll take my Apple fanboy hat off for a minute. Apple does scaling really well except in the case of this type of resolution. I could be wrong, but from what I've researched Apple Silicon has an unusually low max frame buffer size. With the way they do scaling (double the resolution first), scaling a resolution like 7680x2160 takes it above the max frame buffer size, which means you can't do HIDP scaling at these resolutions. It still looked decent without HIDP, but I ended up preferring just running it at full res.

That makes sense and is good info!
How good is that Samsung panel color uniformity wise?

Actually, I'll take my Apple fanboy hat off for a minute. Apple does scaling really well except in the case of this type of resolution. I could be wrong, but from what I've researched Apple Silicon has an unusually low max frame buffer size. With the way they do scaling (double the resolution first), scaling a resolution like 7680x2160 takes it above the max frame buffer size, which means you can't do HIDP scaling at these resolutions. It still looked decent without HIDP, but I ended up preferring just running it at full res.
Yes, Apple has horrific scaling for things outside of their set native resolution standards.

Monster Cables are overpriced trash.
Any cable sold at physical stores are overpriced - They are profit items for stores. Many many years ago when I worked for Best Buy and had the employee discount you wouldn't believe how cheap those Monster Cables actually were at cost.

Monsterprice which became monoprice.
Think idiocracy and the evolution of Fuddruckers! ;-)

Monsterprice which became monoprice.
Think idiocracy and the evolution of Fuddruckers! ;-)
I have so many weird Monoprice things in my buildings because we had some staff bringing it in because they thought it was a good deal... Jesus
But to counter all the garbage the Monoprioce Mini v2, is bulletproof, have those printers in some of the most hostile environments and they just work, until they don't, but with the usage they get the MTBF on them has been like 5 years and as they die they are getting replaced with a smaller quantity of Prusa's.

Back