Apple 'Scary Fast' Mac event October 30th

Personally I'm sick of these "gaming on mac" reviews. A Macbook is for productivity not gaming. It's a bonus that it can run some games. But it's not a gaming machine. That's what the hulking plastic bricks with 300+ W power supplies are for! 🙃

I think you missed the part where AMD's Dragon Range caught up. The Asus Zephyrus G14 laptop that I mentioned will performance nearly as well as Apple's when unplugged. According to Jarrod'sTech video, the Asus lasted for 560 minutes when playing a YouTube video while the Apple M2 Max lasted for 748 minutes. That's pretty good considering that AMD's idle power draw is higher. Also, these are gaming laptops with 165Hz and 240Hz displays and RGB lightening, so of course they eat more power.

This malaka here.

Maybe you missed the reviews the first few times I've linked it, so I'll link it again.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...s-ideally-as-efficient-as-Apple.713395.0.html

AMD is not the one Apple is worried about. Why you think Apple was quick to release their M3 news? I still can't even find a review of the new M3 chips. Intel is suppose to release their Meteor Lake chips soon.

That's really good. What do you think those M1 laptops get when playing games like World of Warcraft? It ain't 2-3 hours without turning down brightness and lowering graphic settings.

View: https://youtu.be/jYSMfRKsmOU?si=UREM0sWuPImS3ahk

The problem that you and many Apple faithful seem to gloss over is that the magical efficiency only happens under very specific conditions. Fire up a multi-threaded application and the power consumption is no different between AMD and Apple. Fire up a game and suddenly 2 hours of battery would be an achievement. You keep comparing Apple GPU's to that of Nvidia, as if they're comparable. Everytime a GPU application is tested, even the M2 Max can only wish to perform as well as the RTX 3060. Apple is now getting features like Mesh Shaders and Ray-Tracing, 4 years after Nvidia, 3 years after AMD, and one year after Intel's A770.

I’ve literally owned the laptop you’re talking about, shared my experience, and now you’re moving goalposts. You’re insufferable.

Personally I'm sick of these "gaming on mac" reviews. A Macbook is for productivity not gaming. It's a bonus that it can run some games. But it's not a gaming machine. That's what the hulking plastic bricks with 300+ W power supplies are for! 🙃
Except that Apple keeps mentioning gaming now. But it won’t mean anything, just like it never has, unless developers jump on board.

Except that Apple keeps mentioning gaming now. But it won’t mean anything, just like it never has, unless developers jump on board.
I think Apple wants gaming, just not the games it’s getting. They make massive money with their Apple Arcade, it has lots in there for the casuals more than enough to keep them happy, and it does most of the games that are on iOS.
Apple needs its own Studio, doesn’t need to be a AAA studio but they need to get something in house that they can launch alongside the next AppleTV.
Apple has a lot of FU Money and I can’t think of a better way to use it than flipping off Microsoft and their EA purchase than doing that.

I think Apple wants gaming, just not the games it’s getting. They make massive money with their Apple Arcade, it has lots in there for the casuals more than enough to keep them happy, and it does most of the games that are on iOS.
Apple needs its own Studio, doesn’t need to be a AAA studio but they need to get something in house that they can launch alongside the next AppleTV.
Apple has a lot of FU Money and I can’t think of a better way to use it than flipping off Microsoft and their EA purchase than doing that.
iOS games will also work just fine on the Mac if the developer chooses to.

iOS games will also work just fine on the Mac if the developer chooses to.
Work just fine and play just fine are somewhat different but yeah. Just the device touch interface doesn’t always translate to mouse and touchpad in a way that doesn’t suck ass and while many are fine with that a great deal more aren’t into it. So many developers just never get that extra bit of validation because what are the odds that Mac user doesn’t own an iPhone or an iPad, so it’s an expense with no additional revenue.

The games they're getting are the ones they paid devs for.
Apple seems to have some kind of working relationship with Capcom, as several RE games are coming to the platform.
Layers of Fear might be interesting to see on macOS, as it's an early UE5 title. And will be at least some-what useful to benchmark machines cross platform. Specifically RT and I suppose also HDR implementation.

I personally think that Apple probably should've paid a good chunk for all the RPG's and MOBA's to come over. Those I think would move the needle the most with Mac gamers. If they could get Sony titles (which might be hard), I would say that would be another set of titles that would also do well with the Apple crowd.

Apple does have potential with gaming with arcade and they could start with an AppleTV with gaming in mind to see if it gains enough traction. Then they could work on a console based on Mx chips to compete with Sony and MS I suppose.

Apple does have potential with gaming with arcade and they could start with an AppleTV with gaming in mind to see if it gains enough traction. Then they could work on a console based on Mx chips to compete with Sony and MS I suppose.
Yeah, we've talked about that before, albeit not in this thread. They would simply need a 512GB-1TB variant, and preferably a faster processor. At that point though they would be pushing on Mac Mini sales, which I think they want to avoid.

However the A17 Pro might be a great candidate. The reason I bring it up is that it's reasonably differentiated from M3, but it still does RT. It's the "baseline" requirement to run RE: Village on iPhone (it's only supported on A17 Pro and M1/M2 iPads). That would be a reasonable platform to start with. Apple also already advertises AppleTV as being able to pair with controllers or even other iOS devices for the purposes of gaming.

Assassins Creed Mirage and Death Stranding are also coming to iOS. So Apple may be thinking the same things here about AppleTV, but they're coming at it from the back rather than the front and likely doesn't see a reason to "push" until there is more software in place.

Yeah, we've talked about that before, albeit not in this thread. They would simply need a 512GB-1TB variant, and preferably a faster processor. At that point though they would be pushing on Mac Mini sales, which I think they want to avoid.

However the A17 Pro might be a great candidate. The reason I bring it up is that it's reasonably differentiated from M3, but it still does RT. It's the "baseline" requirement to run RE: Village on iPhone (it's only supported on A17 Pro and M1/M2 iPads). That would be a reasonable platform to start with. Apple also already advertises AppleTV as being able to pair with controllers or even other iOS devices for the purposes of gaming.

Assassins Creed Mirage and Death Stranding are also coming to iOS. So Apple may be thinking the same things here about AppleTV, but they're coming at it from the back rather than the front and likely doesn't see a reason to "push" until there is more software in place.
I was figuring an A17x or something like that to take advantage of extra juice and cooling but totally.

I’ve literally owned the laptop you’re talking about, shared my experience, and now you’re moving goalposts. You’re insufferable.
Don't hate the player, hate the benchmarks. That Asus Zephyrus G14 even at 2/3 the battery life of the M2 Max is still rather impressive, and it can do it at full speed when unplugged. And also it can play games because it is literally a gaming laptop.
Yep, and Apple looks to be leveraging iOS to push for more AAA games onto their platform.

View: https://youtu.be/uWLOkF7atVw?si=RCZzBnve21Ihi_KO

Don't hate the player, hate the benchmarks. That Asus Zephyrus G14 even at 2/3 the battery life of the M2 Max is still rather impressive, and it can do it at full speed when unplugged. And also it can play games because it is literally a gaming laptop.

Yep, and Apple looks to be leveraging iOS to push for more AAA games onto their platform.

View: https://youtu.be/uWLOkF7atVw?si=RCZzBnve21Ihi_KO

Linus is a bit of a shill, but he seems to sing the phone's prases.
I doubt I am getting one well maybe I will I don't know I feel guilty spending that sort of money on a phone even if there is nothing saying I cant, just makes me feel dirty.

Linus is a bit of a shill, but he seems to sing the phone's prases.
I doubt I am getting one well maybe I will I don't know I feel guilty spending that sort of money on a phone even if there is nothing saying I cant, just makes me feel dirty.
Yea, Linus loves to praise Apple products. The barely 30fps at 720p gaming on a iPhone 15 Pro Max is not encouraging. Considering that Resident Evil Village is also on the PS4 and runs 900p while getting 45fps. Apple did pay to have those games and iOS and MacOS which means Apple does want games. Nobody can say that Mac is not for gaming, because Apple clearly wants to change that image.

Yea, Linus loves to praise Apple products. The barely 30fps at 720p gaming on a iPhone 15 Pro Max is not encouraging. Considering that Resident Evil Village is also on the PS4 and runs 900p while getting 45fps. Apple did pay to have those games and iOS and MacOS which means Apple does want games. Nobody can say that Mac is not for gaming, because Apple clearly wants to change that image.
You realize that’s on a mobile device with ray tracing , correct? The ps4 version isn’t even capable of that. Hardly fair to shit on the iPhone only doing 30fps when it’s doing far more than the PS4.

Can’t wait to hear whatever BS you come up with why this fact doesn’t matter.

And here’s what Microsoft pays to have titles available for XBox game pass, What’s the problem?
  • Lego Star Wars -- $35 million
  • Dying Light 2 -- $50 million
  • Red Dead Redemption II -- $5 million/month
  • Dragon Ball: The Breakers -- $20 million
  • Just Dance -- $5 million
  • Let's Sing Abba - $5 million
  • Return to Monkey Island -- $5 million
  • Wreckfest 2 -- $10 million-$14 million
  • Baldur's Gate 3 -- $5 million
  • Gotham Knights -- $50 million
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage -- $100 million
  • Suicide Squad -- $250 million
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor -- $300 million
  • Mortal Kombat 1 -- $250 million
  • GTA V -- $12 million-$15 million/month
Platforms pay to have the content made for them and they compete to have it there.

Not sure what Linus was doing but this guy seems to get significantly better performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_bF82SxSQ&t=1s&pp=2AEBkAIB

You realize that’s on a mobile device with ray tracing , correct? The ps4 version isn’t even capable of that. Hardly fair to shit on the iPhone only doing 30fps when it’s doing far more than the PS4.

Can’t wait to hear whatever BS you come up with why this fact doesn’t matter.
So sensitive to criticism. You sound like a person who thinks they're smart. Look at this video and tell me which version of this game you'd rather be playing? Do you see the Ray-Tracing on the iPhone 15?

View: https://youtu.be/4Arp3H_mgR8?si=2QciQrmmsMOEX47u

And here’s what Microsoft pays to have titles available for XBox game pass, What’s the problem?
  • Lego Star Wars -- $35 million
  • Dying Light 2 -- $50 million
  • Red Dead Redemption II -- $5 million/month
  • Dragon Ball: The Breakers -- $20 million
  • Just Dance -- $5 million
  • Let's Sing Abba - $5 million
  • Return to Monkey Island -- $5 million
  • Wreckfest 2 -- $10 million-$14 million
  • Baldur's Gate 3 -- $5 million
  • Gotham Knights -- $50 million
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage -- $100 million
  • Suicide Squad -- $250 million
  • Star Wars Jedi: Survivor -- $300 million
  • Mortal Kombat 1 -- $250 million
  • GTA V -- $12 million-$15 million/month
Platforms pay to have the content made for them and they compete to have it there.
So how much money did Valve pay to have games ported to PC?
Not sure what Linus was doing but this guy seems to get significantly better performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54_bF82SxSQ&t=1s&pp=2AEBkAIB

I don't know. Maybe because he used medium settings with Metal FX at 720P?

So how much money did Valve pay to have games ported to PC?

I don't know. Maybe because he used medium settings with Metal FX at 720P?
$9.5 million… or that’s how much they got sued for over their Capcom releases.

But yeah Capcom paid to put the game on Steam, they get to work the other way around because if you don’t then you don’t release on PC. Nobody else can make that move except Apple, but Apple and Capcom are partners in the Apple Arcade they release lots of titles there so money obviously changes hands.

And does the resolution matter or Metal FX matter if the game looks and runs better than it does on a PS4 at the 1600x900.

I just wanted you to know you’re the first and only person I’m blocking on here because of constant idiotic takes like this.

He is the pc equivalent to a bench racer; a broke kid with a civic who gets his whole identity by taking sides in the Italian vs German supercar debate.

The best part is how he keeps posting younoob videos to prove his point since he doesn't actually have any first hand experience - this is hilarious to those of us that own both pc HEDT platforms and loaded Macs.

"Butt....but....but...Car and Driver said my favorite one is faster!!!"

And does the resolution matter or Metal FX matter if the game looks and runs better than it does on a PS4 at the 1600x900.
I mean, it didn't look better than a PS4 which runs 900p. The question is, does 720P matter on a screen the size of an iPhone? The answer is no, because you won't see the fine detail missing on a screen so small. That's not the point I'm trying to portray here, in that Resident Evil 8 is running better and sharper on a machine built in 2013. Admittedly no Ray-Tracing, but are you really going to notice the Ray-Tracing on the same small screen? The blurry textures seem like a bigger problem to me. Linux Tech Tips also pointed out that the iPhone 15 Pro Max ran the games at a thermal state of Serious. Apparently when the iPhone thermal state goes beyond Serious, it shuts down applications. Compared to machines like the Steam Deck or the ROG Ally which runs these games much better.
I just wanted you to know you’re the first and only person I’m blocking on here because of constant idiotic takes like this.
Oh no, another Apple fan who doesn't like I don't agree with him using benchmarks.
5fe60e71-3i2nby-500x442.png

He is the pc equivalent to a bench racer; a broke kid with a civic who gets his whole identity by taking sides in the Italian vs German supercar debate.
Hey now, don't get me started with car stuff. Good chance I've wrenched more cars then you've ever looked at.
The best part is how he keeps posting younoob videos to prove his point since he doesn't actually have any first hand experience - this is hilarious to those of us that own both pc HEDT platforms and loaded Macs.
I present visual evidence and you guys hate it? Do you want to go by the stuff Apple says instead, because you won't like it. Also, another Younoob video.

View: https://youtu.be/0PK9RzSl9O0?si=t_Y5D7ZsYyltMmF_

Hey now, don't get me started with car stuff. Good chance I've wrenched more cars then you've ever looked at.

Incoming rant about how his broke dick Porsche 944 is superior to a GT3 RS because it's more "analog" (the GT3 RS engine uses "fake" "emulated" application specific tech and alloys to make more power, so it's cheating) and he bought it at a junkyard for $500; spending $300k on a GT3 RS is totally ridiculous because the 944 offers 1/10th the performance at 1/200th of the price. Anyone who bought a Gt3 RS instead of his 944 is a moron and a poser who just bought the car because of status, and here's a Louis Rossman video proving it because you can't upgrade the ram in the GT3 RS infotainment.

Secretly, when nobody is looking he takes out the Jergens, some tissues, a Car and Driver magazine, and flips to the GT3 RS page.....

I’ve also owned the latest Zephyrus G14 hoping it would be comparable in battery life. And it sucks balls just as all Windows laptops still do for battery life. I could get about 7 or so hours out of it in lower power mode with the GPU disabled, but in “power mode”, it would last about 2-3 hours.
So about those 7 hours which is not great for you. What do you think this guy got with his Macbook Air M1? He got about 7 hours and all he did was web surfing, emails, writing, with certain calls like teams. Also yes, another Younoob video link.

View: https://youtu.be/zdhMxsyuGyY?si=DRdwIjEZLze6-nOo

So about those 7 hours which is not great for you. What do you think this guy got with his Macbook Air M1? He got about 7 hours and all he did was web surfing, emails, writing, with certain calls like teams. Also yes, another Younoob video link.

View: https://youtu.be/zdhMxsyuGyY?si=DRdwIjEZLze6-nOo

So the M1 got 7 hours while the G14 got less than 3?
I mean the work load you just described is most people’s entire job.

Incoming rant about how his broke dick Porsche 944 is superior to a GT3 RS because it's more "analog" (the GT3 RS engine uses "fake" "emulated" application specific tech and alloys to make more power, so it's cheating) and he bought it at a junkyard for $500; spending $300k on a GT3 RS is totally ridiculous because the 944 offers 1/10th the performance at 1/200th of the price. Anyone who bought a Gt3 RS instead of his 944 is a moron and a poser who just bought the car because of status, and here's a Louis Rossman video proving it because you can't upgrade the ram in the GT3 RS infotainment.

Secretly, when nobody is looking he takes out the Jergens, some tissues, a Car and Driver magazine, and flips to the GT3 RS page.....
Firstly, I'd love to own a 944. Kinda in the market for one. Second, don't derail the thread.

So the M1 got 7 hours while the G14 got less than 3?
I mean the work load you just described is most people’s entire job.
3 hours in performance mode while 7 hours in light mode. What do you think he would get with light tasks like the Macbook Air M1 user was doing?

3 hours in performance mode while 7 hours in light mode. What do you think he would get with light tasks like the Macbook Air M1 user was doing?
Based on the personal experience of all the M1 and M2 Mac’s I have in operation 7-10h of just sitting there working doing what ever you needed to be doing for normal office stuff.

The first batch of M3’s arrive in a few weeks. I had 8 users with Intel based Mac’s from 6+ years ago so I figured I’d just replace the lot and be done with it.

Granted that’s not a whole lot better than the similarly spec’ed Latitudes but the cost difference between them is maybe $300 and the MDM licenses, AV, and other tools pretty much close that gap.

But the Mac’s hands down have a better looking display, nothing Dell offers in the 5440 series comes close.

Last edited:
There is no "light mode." That's the Air working at the same capacity as it does when it's plugged in. I have the M1 Air. And I average about 10 or so hours a day. I don't know if I could live inside a mind as insufferable as yours. I'm waiting to finish studying software engineering before I upgrade next year. If there were any Windows laptops with comparable battery life that are able to work at 90-100% of the capacity when plugged in, I would consider switching. But there literally isn't any competition for battery life in this space with the Mac. It's not there yet, so this is a non-discussion, no matter how clever you think you're being with you're trolling. Are there faster laptops than what Apple has to offer? Obviously. Can they even remotely compete on battery life when unplugged? No. And it's stupid trying to debate this point. It's why many people are switching to Apple laptops right now for work that's on the go. We adults have work to do.

Based on the personal experience of all the M1 and M2 Mac’s I have in operation 7-10h of just sitting there working doing what ever you needed to be doing for normal office stuff.
I'm going by Shoganai's quote with him saying, "I could get about 7 or so hours out of it in lower power mode". The Younoob guy, (I love saying this) got about 7.5 hours doing and I quote, "web services, email, writing, a few calls". I know from other Younoobs that they also tested gaming and found that 3 hours in World of Warcraft and less than 2 hours in Fortnite. When multiple CPU threads are in use, we know that the M2 Max isn't alone in it's power consumption. In that situation, the Ryzen 9 7945HX nearly caught up. Apple is still better in idle power consumption, but is that going to make a big difference in the long run? I also don't know about video editing since I can't find any tests on that.
The first batch of M3’s arrive in a few weeks. I had 8 users with Intel based Mac’s from 6+ years ago so I figured I’d just replace the lot and be done with it.
There are benchmarks now, but not from my favorite Younoob guy. It's also a boring test against M3 vs M2.

View: https://youtu.be/XJZQLQK0Vfc?si=zhPnPfSAkUDDE8fP
But the Mac’s hands down have a better looking display, nothing Dell offers in the 5440 series comes close.
Sure yea, the Apple displays are very color accurate.

It's not there yet, so this is a non-discussion, no matter how clever you think you're being with you're trolling.
You said you got several hours using the Asus Zephyrus G14, and I found a guy who got similar results with light use on his M1. It's not trolling if I'm presenting you someone else's opinion to debate your own. This guy got 4 hours and 15 minutes on his M1 Max.
Are there faster laptops than what Apple has to offer? Obviously. Can they even remotely compete on battery life when unplugged? No.
I showed you Jarrod'sTech's video where the M2 Max lasted 188 minutes longer playing back a YouTube video. Same video showed him getting nearly the same speed while unplugging the Asus Zephyrus G14. The single threaded performance stayed the same, while the multithreaded lost 5,000 point in cinebench, but that's also just 2,000 point slower than the M2 Max. The M2 Max maintained a consistent 14,800 points but the Asus Zephyrus G14 unplugged got 12,700, but while plugged in it got 17,500. But single threaded the M2 Max was 1,600 while the Asus Zephyrus G14 plugged and unplugged got 1,800.

To say that Windows laptops can't remotely compete on battery life is ignoring the past years worth of changes to x86 chips. I don't know how the M3 is like compared to AMD and Intel, but hopefully we'll find out.
And it's stupid trying to debate this point. It's why many people are switching to Apple laptops right now for work that's on the go. We adults have work to do.
Yea about that. I think there's something you should know.
https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...own-34-year-over-year-but-apple-is-optimistic

You said you got several hours using the Asus Zephyrus G14, and I found a guy who got similar results with light use on his M1. It's not trolling if I'm presenting you someone else's opinion to debate your own. This guy got 4 hours and 15 minutes on his M1 Max.

I showed you Jarrod'sTech's video where the M2 Max lasted 188 minutes longer playing back a YouTube video. Same video showed him getting nearly speed while unplugging the Asus Zephyrus G14. The single threaded performance stayed the same, while the multithreaded lost 5,000 point in cinebench, but that's also just 2,000 point slower than the M2 Max. The M2 Max maintained a consistent 14,800 points but the Asus Zephyrus G14 unplugged got 12,700 while plugged in got 17,500. But single threaded the M2 Max was 1,600 while the Asus Zephyrus G14 plugged and unplugged got 1,800.

To say that Windows laptops can't remotely compete on battery life is ignoring the past years worth of changes to x86 chips. I don't know how the M3 is like compared to AMD and Intel, but hopefully we'll find out.

Yea about that. I think there's something you should know.
https://www.tomshardware.com/softwa...own-34-year-over-year-but-apple-is-optimistic
It's definitely time to block you. This is exhausting. Peace.

I also don't know about video editing since I can't find any tests on that.
Apple crushes that, all the custom ML acceleration Apple has cooked in for video and audio processing is way ahead, gets solid battery life and more importantly its buttery smooth. If you are strictly doing AV work you need to spend a lot more than you do for the Apple platform, you go straight into the high core count desktop parts and proper GPU space for equivalent experience, but that has as much to do with software optimization as it does hardware. So an Oranges to Oranges comparison is tricky.

Last edited:
You’d be able to afford one in no time if you let apple stop living rent free in your head.
You're not making yourselves look better by making rash generalizations. I already have a Porsche 928 that I restored and then modified to make 350hp. I also have a Vette C5 that I heavily modified to make 500hp. Those aren't the only cars I own, so it's more of a problem where to put another car. Also a lot of the 944's I've seen are jerry rigged.

Eh, why not? Arrives Dec 1-5th.

Let's be real, I pretty much bought it just so I could say my Macbook has 8x the RAM as DukenukemX's desktop.
Congratulations, you won the paper spec battle. What did it cost you? Do you wanna know how much it'll cost me to put in 128GB of ram? My B350 motherboard still got some life left in it. I'm not sure I ever will need that much ram in my personal computer.
m3 max cost.png
What will you be doing with this beast?
He's gonna run so many Geekbench's.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Congratulations, you won the paper spec battle. What did it cost you? Do you wanna know how much it'll cost me to put in 128GB of ram? My B350 motherboard still got some life left in it. I'm not sure I ever will need that much ram in my personal computer.
View attachment 613571

He's gonna run so many Geekbench's.

You can't put in 128gb of equivalently fast ram no matter how much you spend :)

Anyway, I didn't need to upgrade honestly. My M1 Max with 64GB ram and 8TB SSD is still an absolutely phenomenal machine and the first laptop I've ever owned that satisfied my performance needs without significantly slow me down. The main reason I upgraded is because one of my best employees wants to switch to Mac after her loaded Dell keeps shitting the bed, so I figured I'd give her mine and pick up the M3. That's another thing that is so great about these machines and one of the reasons I think they are an incredible value even at $5-7k - they are fully under warranty with the $99/yr recurring Applecare and I fully expect this machine to last my employee another 3-5 years after it lasted me 2+. And during that time it will be extremely fast and reliable.

As for what I actually do, it really varies depending on what gap I am currently filling in our team at work. A lot of high sample rate signal analysis, recording, and playback (SSD and I/O speed are critical here), video editing with Premiere Pro, photoshop, excel, content creation for marketing, and some neural network testing. I don't design the neural networks, but I do train them a lot. To be honest, this is something I've always done on our Threadripper machine with Nvidia GPUs, but I am very curious to try it on the M3 and see how much slower it is (I do anticipate it will be slower). I wouldn't be doing heavy regular training work on it, but it would be kind of useful if it wasn't criminally slow to be able to test stuff in the field without remoting in to the main training server.

On a personal side, I do a lot of photography and music production with large track counts (150+) in Logic.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As for what I actually do, it really varies depending on what gap I am currently filling in our team at work. A lot of high sample rate signal analysis, recording, and playback (SSD and I/O speed are critical here), video editing with Premiere Pro, photoshop, excel, content creation for marketing, and some neural network testing. I don't design the neural networks, but I do train them a lot. To be honest, this is something I've always done on our Threadripper machine with Nvidia GPUs, but I am very curious to try it on the M3 and see how much slower it is (I do anticipate it will be slower). I wouldn't be doing heavy regular training work on it, but it would be kind of useful if it wasn't criminally slow to be able to test stuff in the field without remoting in to the main training server.

Which machine learning framework do you use? Does it have an Apple/Metal backend?

I'm glad I decided to stay with the 16"!
I thought of buying the 14 with same specs but it would seem throttling and fan noise is worse than the M2 Max.
Particularly when used on the desktop with a TB4 dock this matters even more.

Back