Apple iPhone 15 Live Event "Wonderlust"

Thanks for the ideas. If we ignore privacy for a moment, does Apple make it hard to get data out of their ecosystem? Like, what if all my contacts are in Apple and I decide later I don't want to use Apple's stuff anymore? How do I transfer my contacts elsewhere?

Is there possibly an assumption at play here? Namely that Apple will always demand certain legal requirements to be met? In principle, Apple could get cozier with law enforcement in the future. (I'm neither trying to imply they will or won't.)
Apple is pretty easy to get contacts and such out, contacts and such can all be exported as .vcs, and email stays with email accounts, the real bitch is iTunes because media purchased there stays there, non-transferable.
Apple, and Microsoft are famous for making law enforcement jump through the whole dog and pony show, because if they don't they open themselves up to a lot of legal actions from a lot of different groups and if they can't prove that they followed the law in the country where the data was hosted then you better believe they are gonna loose that one and if they loose it for one person then everybody there can sue for a couple of reasons, no big payouts for anybody who isn't in the legal teams involved but its very bad president to set and a terrible business decision that the board gather the villagers for.
Could Apple get unnaturally cozy with law enforcement, sure, but your kids could also turn to the feds and snitch you out for the contents of that hidden folder in System32 you thought you hid. Anything is possible, just not likely.

Hum, I am not so sure the Russian military avoiding iPhone are paranoid and wrong to think that apple would never share data to the US-Ukrainian military/intelligence. Apple say they are wrong and maybe they would never do it... but how could one know ?
Yeah because Google would be so much more likely to tell them to fudge off...
They avoid it because they operate on a public carrier wave that can be intercepted, jammed, decrypted, spoofed, you name it.
Ukraine telecom companies would be certain to be handing over all the SMIDs of all the devices connected to their towers as well as the GPS data it collects pretty easy to tell who belongs to the military and track from there.

If you’re Russian military you’re an idiot having a phone on you period if you’re in Ukraine. Apple hacking your iPhone is the least of your concern. Your larger issue is that you’ve made yourself an easy drone strike target using procedures honed during the last 20 years.

However Samsung and Google both offer NOTHING innovative either. There is no compelling reason to own any of these things. You say people need a phone, I agree, but people don't need 7 years ago design for 2500 dollars because it has 15 stamped on a weak titanium frame. I'm on a Fold z 4 512GB, waiting on my insurance replacement to arrive because the fold screen started turning black and dying on me. I paid 1799 for this piece of shit. So as to not be a hypocrite, yeah there ya go. I've learned that these things knight not be worth keeping much longer as a norm. That flip.phone is looking more and more attractive. 2 phones cost me and my wife 240/month. That's ridiculous.
Uh ya. Buy a year or two+ old phone, case, glass screen protector and get an MVNO plan. You can easily spend less than $500 / year on a phone+plan. Just like a car, the depreciation is mostly over. People waste thousands of dollars on this shit. With the government devaluing the crap out of the dollar, you had better start investing that money into survival.

Last edited:
If you’re Russian military you’re an idiot having a phone on you period if you’re in Ukraine. Apple hacking your iPhone is the least of your concern. Your larger issue is that you’ve made yourself an easy drone strike target using procedures honed during the last 20 years.
Yeah because that is just a GPS homing device in their pockets, no way Ukranian telecoms wouldn't be passing that back to their military as their patriotic duty or anything so they could monitor movements and communications in real-time from the cell towers or satellites as they connected around the country...
Apple has nothing to do with that, any cellphone period that is operating on a public spectrum would fall into the same issues.

You are nicely reminding me of things I need to consider before I buy the phone.

While I don't know how, I hope to go around Apple to some extent. If possible, I want to back up and sync outside of the Apple ecosystem. I fear getting locked in (and/or succumbing to the Big Tech idea of "privacy"). So I bought a lifetime pass for Filen storage, hoping I can keep all my photos there and circumvent Apple's servers.

The other thing I want to figure out is how to privately and securely back up my contacts outside Apple. I don't know how to accomplish that but I hope to see some sort of export option.

Or I can give up and do the easy thing like you suggested. Maybe I'll have to.

You can export iCloud contacts as Vcard or have the iPhone Contacts app just add new contacts to Google Contacts/whatever additional account you sign into (you then choose backup/manage/view new contacts via iCloud or Google/third party account in the Contacts app settings under 'Default Account' IIRC)

Edit: I use my iPhone with all Google services basically just because it's all web based/easier to manage for me via browser/other devices/on Google's end

Last edited:
Yeah because that is just a GPS homing device in their pockets, no way Ukranian telecoms wouldn't be passing that back to their military as their patriotic duty or anything so they could monitor movements and communications in real-time from the cell towers or satellites as they connected around the country...
Apple has nothing to do with that, any cellphone period that is operating on a public spectrum would fall into the same issues.
The comments was more about apple device ban to access work email-application, I am not sure they suggest an non open source google device instead. Paranoia,... maybe.. maybe not. It is not about not having a phone (even apple) on your person

The comments was more about apple device ban to access work email-application, I am not sure they suggest an non open source google device instead. Paranoia,... maybe.. maybe not. It is not about not having a phone (even apple) on your person
I think that has more to do with Apple abiding by the US sanctions and stopping sales of their devices in Russia.
But the idea that Apple builds backdoors for the US government to spy on people with is kind of absurd given how much they spend sending the devices to Israel for them to hack into them on their behalf.

iPhone 15 maybe under performing in sales.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/new...9&cvid=6a6f1a0946fc4444a09d6b08a81f7c5d&ei=25

"Investors may remember that Apple’s Q1 report in February showed earnings per share of $1.88 fell short of the projected $1.94, largely due to underperforming iPhone 14 sales. With the recent launch of the iPhone 15, it raises questions about the company’s performance expectations for the upcoming quarter."
Everybody’s broke, not a lot of people lining up to drop $1500 on a phone.
Globally between this year and last I think it was around an 18% decline in cell phones sold, 10% last year and this year shaping up around 8% fewer new devices sold.
People are keeping their stuff longer.

Globally between this year and last I think it was around an 18% decline in cell phones sold, 10% last year and this year shaping up around 8% fewer new devices sold.
iPhone 15 is selling better than 14. I guess the supply could be lower, but most people I know skipped 14, not the case with 15. Also - 15 is pretty much sold out until end of this month at this point.

iPhone 15 is selling better than 14. I guess the supply could be lower, but most people I know skipped 14, not the case with 15. Also - 15 is pretty much sold out until end of this month at this point.
Also didn’t help that the 14 had a rocky launch with some weird button issues and multiple reports of it randomly dialling 911

Uh ya. Buy a year or two+ old phone, case, glass screen protector and get an MVNO plan. You can easily spend less than $500 / year on a phone+plan. Just like a car, the depreciation is mostly over. People waste thousands of dollars on this shit. With the government devaluing the crap out of the dollar, you had better start investing that money into survival.
Yes you're right and yes you're right

Maybe it's time for manufacturers to stop charging $1500 for a phone? It's kinda ridiculous.
That's doing more for the environment than the speech by Apple in how they're carbon neutral
Anyone have any sales data?

Anyone have any sales data?
Apple is a smidge tight on numbers but the 13 was one of their best selling models as a whole and Apples revenue from iPhone sales during the time the 14 was available were some of their lower numbers in a while. It would not be hard for the 15 to out sell the 14, it didn’t move well. Some of that is supposedly from the strikes in China that stopped 14 production for a month or so which boosted sales of the 12 and 13 and supply on the 14 was wrecked for months as a result. But it wouldn’t be challenging for the 15 to pass the 14 doing so isn’t exactly the bragging point the marketing departments want you to think it is.

17.0.3 is out. And addresses the problem. The short reading I did says that the issue is gone and done without throttling. But, I fully expect Android users to use this as a talking point and take it out of context as well as not talk about how it was properly fixed.

17.0.3 is out. And addresses the problem. The short reading I did says that the issue is gone and done without throttling. But, I fully expect Android users to use this as a talking point and take it out of context as well as not talk about how it was properly fixed.
/s
I’m not so sure about that, I’m pretty confident that the concept of a patch would stun them into silence.

It has only fixed the problem for some people. My cousin's phone still gets hotter than the surface of the sun. I never had the overheating issue, but the problem hasn't been fully addressed yet.

Maybe it's time for manufacturers to stop charging $1500 for a phone? It's kinda ridiculous.
Or get a cheaper phone. You're talking about the highest end configuration of the highest end phone. If you can't afford the newest tech, there are perfectly viable options to buy them used for one third the retail price or to simply buy one of the cheaper phones.

Or get a cheaper phone. You're talking about the highest end configuration of the highest end phone. If you can't afford the newest tech, there are perfectly viable options to buy them used for one third the retail price or to simply buy one of the cheaper phones.
Apple only stopped making the 13 in September of this year, there are ample 13 and 14’s available new for significantly less than the $1500 price tag on the 15 pro max reach around edition.

Apple only stopped making the 13 in September of this year, there are ample 13 and 14’s available new for significantly less than the $1500 price tag on the 15 pro max reach around edition.
He always uses the most extreme examples for literally every comment he makes.

Last edited:
Guess what? iPhone screens are getting burned. People's hands aren't the only things getting burned. Apple's ads are finally correct. What does happen on your iPhone, does stay on your iPhone.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/10/16/buyers-complain-of-burn-in-on-iphone-15-pro-max-display
56825-115592-000-lead-Burn-In-xl.jpg

DwGoq2uV4AA_Aov.jpg-large.jpg

Guess what? iPhone screens are getting burned. People's hands aren't the only things getting burned. Apple's ads are finally correct. What does happen on your iPhone, does stay on your iPhone.
https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/10/16/buyers-complain-of-burn-in-on-iphone-15-pro-max-display
View attachment 607050
View attachment 607051
And this actually appears to be a software issue that Apple will fix with iOS 17.1 (likely arriving next week). Don't ask me how Apple let something like that through, but this is not some world-ending flaw.

For that matter, you seem to forget that Apple addressed the heat issue mere days after the iPhone launch (and without affecting performance). Again, I'm not sure how an issue like that slipped through the cracks, but it's not really worth harping on.

And this actually appears to be a software issue that Apple will fix with iOS 17.1 (likely arriving next week). Don't ask me how Apple let something like that through, but this is not some world-ending flaw.

For that matter, you seem to forget that Apple addressed the heat issue mere days after the iPhone launch (and without affecting performance). Again, I'm not sure how an issue like that slipped through the cracks, but it's not really worth harping on.
Apple changed from Samsung to LG for their displays, it’s an issue with LG signalling and LG is issuing firmware updates to the controllers for a lot of their OLED displays as a result.
So C series TV owners should be expecting similar updates if they don’t have them already.

Apple changed from Samsung to LG for their displays, it’s an issue with LG signalling and LG is issuing firmware updates to the controllers for a lot of their OLED displays as a result.
So C series TV owners should be expecting similar updates if they don’t have them already.
Interesting. I guess I should install that latest update on my LG CX panel.

The software fix prevents the issue, doesn't correct the screen. It is worth noting that Apple will replace effected screens for free. Something I'm sure iPhone 15 owners would like to be aware of.
Not days after, but they did address it. The iPhone 15 was released September 22 and the patch iOS 17.0. 3 was released October 4th.

The software fix prevents the issue, doesn't correct the screen. It is worth noting that Apple will replace effected screens for free. Something I'm sure iPhone 15 owners would like to be aware of.

Not days after, but they did address it. The iPhone 15 was released September 22 and the patch iOS 17.0. 3 was released October 4th.
No, it corrects the screen. I know you don’t want that to be a thing, but it is.

It’s not an issue with the screens, LG has some firmware issues with their controllers. The voltage is too high they have a similar issue with the C2 and C3 series it’s drastically shortening their longevity especially if you are turning the brightness up or have it at max for extended periods.

Actual benchmarks have finally been done and as expected the iPhone 15 Pro Max will lower it's brightness and thermal throttle, but to the point where it will crash. Not as bad as the iPhone 14 Pro Max, but still worse than the S23 Ultra. In the end, the S23 Ultra used 1% more power but also sustained a brighter screen than the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

View: https://youtu.be/dGfMmbW1j34?si=WW_dNfDHSC_PHfJL

In another test, the iPhone 15 Pro Max also crashes. This might be a thermal limit that Apple put it to stop apps if the device runs too hot. The Pixel 8 Pro doesn't seem to do as badly as the iPhone 15 Pro Max in terms of performance and brightness decrease. The image quality is noticeably worse than the iPhone in GPU rendering.

View: https://youtu.be/eFqW2xPOxtY?si=3TAbYKkB9xrnU_H3

Actual benchmarks have finally been done and as expected the iPhone 15 Pro Max will lower it's brightness and thermal throttle, but to the point where it will crash. Not as bad as the iPhone 14 Pro Max, but still worse than the S23 Ultra. In the end, the S23 Ultra used 1% more power but also sustained a brighter screen than the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

View: https://youtu.be/dGfMmbW1j34?si=WW_dNfDHSC_PHfJL

Maybe this is why the 4.3.1 patch notes advertise the huge performance increases for iOS and decreased CPU consumption And further improved in 4.3.3 both came out after the video launched.

Its worth noting from people who actually play the game and not just benchmarking with it that the game runs far better and looks better on iOS.

Apples silicon does a bad job at multi simultaneous applications, they really need to ditch the NEON for SVE2 like the rest of the ARM It’s holding them back.

Last edited:
Maybe this is why the 4.3.1 patch notes advertise the huge performance increases for iOS and decreased CPU consumption And further improved in 4.3.3 both came out after the video launched.
I don't know what patch he's running but the second video I linked which is 10 days old will show the game crashing on the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
Its worth noting from people who actually play the game and not just benchmarking with it that the game runs far better and looks better on iOS.
Who is playing this game and thinks out loud that it looks better on iOS? Only a reviewer will know this. I will need proof of your claim. It was noted in the second video that the image quality was worse on the Pixel 8 Pro, but that's specific to it and doesn't include the S23 Ultra.

I don't know what patch he's running but the second video I linked which is 10 days old will show the game crashing on the iPhone 15 Pro Max.
6 days for the patches.
Who is playing this game and thinks out loud that it looks better on iOS? Only a reviewer will know this. I will need proof of your claim. It was noted in the second video that the image quality was worse on the Pixel 8 Pro, but that's specific to it and doesn't include the S23 Ultra.
Everybody, better textures at higher resolution. The Android version is done in OpenGL ES and has an internal resolution of 720p and it upscales.

iOS version is native Metal and has a higher default resolution but still upscales it also has a higher partical count and better shadows.

View attachment 607050
View attachment 607051
Is that supposed to spoof off "If you like your doctor..." or "What happens in Vegas..."? It seems like a false promise...

Apple's iPhone sales dropped 19% in China due to Huawei gaining 69% nice market share increase. Ain't looking good for Apple investors.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/23/app...hina-as-huawei-demand-soars-counterpoint.html
Well, that's cool and all, China started banning the sales of iPhones to government employees and their families as well as "discouraging" any companies who want to work with the government from using them in December of 2023, while heavily pushing the "social benefits" of purchasing the new Huawei phones. It should also be noted that the new Huawei flagship doesn't even match the performance or battery life of their 4-year-old models let alone anything new.

Apple has problems for sure, but this isn't the victory you want it to be.

Ain't looking good for Apple investors

Apple is still one of the best investments you can make...they can easily withstand a small bump in sales etc...they are constantly innovating, evolving and releasing new products...one of the best long term stock investments

Last edited:
Apple is still one of the best investments you can make...they can easily withstand a small bump in sales etc...they are constantly innovating, evolving and releasing new products...one of the best long term stock investments
Hold my beer. Apple hasn’t seen numbers that low since 2017. Makes sense when iPhone 15 is just an iPhone 14 Pro, while iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max are having over heating issues. It doesn't help that the iPhone 15's aren't compelling upgrades for owners of older iPhones.
https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/24/iphone-market-share-new-low-android-dominates/
cirp-us-iphone-activations-market-share.jpg

Hold my beer. Apple hasn’t seen numbers that low since 2017. Makes sense when iPhone 15 is just an iPhone 14 Pro, while iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max are having over heating issues. It doesn't help that the iPhone 15's aren't compelling upgrades for owners of older iPhones.
https://9to5mac.com/2024/04/24/iphone-market-share-new-low-android-dominates/
View attachment 650027
Reusing the same chipset as the previous iPhone is one of the stupidest things I've seen Apple do in recent memory.

Im on my 13 pro still looking like no need to upgrade. probably wait until this no longer works then get 1-2 gen old phone. I myself am done with the days of paying 1k+ for a phone

Back