anybody else wish the Ageia PPU was PCIe 1x?

I'm sure it will eventually. Isn't this their premiere product?

There next card will be which supposedly will be out in a year or so, I might buy the second version as games that matter might be out by then. (Assuming that companies are adopting them)

Edit: btw cell factor looks fun =)

guys.. every possible subject on ppu's has been beaten to death around here.. just use the search!

even the latest gpu vs ppu... its in the forums i swear it is!

Jason711 said:
guys.. every possible subject on ppu's has been beaten to death around here.. just use the search!

even the latest gpu vs ppu... its in the forums i swear it is!

Well, it would be a lot easier to locate these topics if we had a PPU forum.

Mods, since it's a real product now, think we could have a dedicated form for PPU's?

i think its all bs, since they have had pics already of pcix1 and said that they would be released before or along side pci 0.o

Well I have to wait for PCI-E, it's the only slot I have open.

I don't. :p If it was in PCI-E I might be tempted to buy one if UT2007 makes good use of it.

Except for the flame thrower demo in the preview I read, the rest of the physics that were pictured should be well within the capabilities of Havok FX.

Dillusion said:
Theres supposed to be one....

BAM!!!
ageia_2.jpg

a 7900gt would just add more frame rates while the ppu would get more "physics" in games i prolly wont play. (I play css, bf2, fear)

jcll2002 said:
a 7900gt would just add more frame rates while the ppu would get more "physics" in games i prolly wont play. (I play css, bf2, fear)

PPUs don't work that way. Games have to support them or else the processor goes unused. This includes CS:S, BF2 and F.E.A.R. There's newer games coming out that do support it though.

Since the games dont even make use of dual cores well yet, why exactly do we need PPU's?

I'd prefer America'sArmy make full use of my two cores before asking for a 3rd core to use :D

Not to mention make full use of the X1900's abilities.

But it is cool having 100-350 FPS 1280x1024 6xAA 16xAF.

PWMK2 said:
PPUs don't work that way. Games have to support them or else the processor goes unused. This includes CS:S, BF2 and F.E.A.R. There's newer games coming out that do support it though.
so fear, css, and bf2 DO support the physx?

i just don't see how this is gonna be a marketable product...

since nobody has one, you can't design games exclusive for PPU chips...

thus, you'll have to implement extra features with the ability to turn them on and off... more work for the programmers, longer development times.. and for what, no extra money ? I dunno, maybe in the future these things will rock, but it seems a waste to me... we don't even have games catching up to the multi-core processor norm... much less a seperate add-in physics card

RoffleCopter said:
PCIe 1x also has higher bandwidth too, right?

I dont know for sure if its faster but i think it has a dedicated bandwith... If you have a video card, sound card, and SATA controller all in pci slots, they share bandwith, i believe

mashie said:
That is the development board, retail boards will not have both connectors.

The PhysX chip itself support both PCI and PCIe in it's current version, guess they decided on PCI boards first since more motherboards support PCI than PCIe.
huh? looks like an ordinary universal PCI connector to me....

—§urfÅceЗ said:
anybody else notice that to use pcie you have to flip the card and reattach the metal gate and see the problem with the molex? :eek:
that says "Manufacturing sample" on the corner and thats why they aint sellin it yet

PCIe provides more power than PCI, so the molex would probably be unnecessary anyways.

Well there are MANY more motherboards with ole' PCI than PCI-E 1x (and alot of times the single 1x slot gets used up in a dual-card SLI/CrossFire dealie because it's between the two 16x/8x slots). So it makes sense that the PCI version is first. PCI-E 1x has a theoretical bandwidth of 250MB/s IIRC. Per lane. As in each slot has its own dedicated bandwidth, no matter what the size of the slot (1x, 4x, 8x or 16x are the most common). PCI has 133MB/s of bandwidth for ALL OF THE SLOTS. That is, your SoundBlaster Audigy has to share with your add-in RAID card, which is bad.

—§urfÅceЗ said:
When you turn it over to the PCI-e 1x side you dont need the molex to power it because the PCI-e 1x has enough power it by itself.

It's just a matter of taking the PCI plate off and reattaching it.

Sovereign said:
Well there are MANY more motherboards with ole' PCI than PCI-E 1x (and alot of times the single 1x slot gets used up in a dual-card SLI/CrossFire dealie because it's between the two 16x/8x slots).

I have the Abit Fatal1ty AN8 Motherboard and the 1x slots are above the PCI-e 16x slot and the PCI slots would be taking up by a dual card setup, so that's why I wish they make a PCI-e 1x card will soon for when I get the games that support it.

mashie said:
Please read up on the subject considering both ATI and nVidia will support the same API so everyone with a reasonable new videocard will be able to play the 60 or so games currently in development that support hardware accellerated physics. Ofcourse slow hardware means slow games but that is the case with videocards as well. For full speed you need full speed hardware and personally I can't wait to see hardware accellerated physics as a minimum requirement the same as DX9 is in games right now.

that simply is not going to work as well as a dedicated card.

Jason711 said:
that simply is not going to work as well as a dedicated card.

Agreed, a lot of people seems to be forgetting that NVIDIA/ATI/Havock's solution only offers "soft-physics"(read: eyecandy), not real physcis with collisions, rigid bodies ect like AGEIA's PhysX offers...

Terra...

Terra said:
Agreed, a lot of people seems to be forgetting that NVIDIA/ATI/Havock's solution only offers "soft-physics"(read: eyecandy), not real physcis with collisions, rigid bodies ect like AGEIA's PhysX offers...

Terra...

the way i see it.. its sort of an after thought. nvidia/ati threw this out there to simply attract attention. their solutions are less than serious.

Jason711 said:
the way i see it.. its sort of an after thought. nvidia/ati threw this out there to simply attract attention. their solutions are less than serious.

I have to agree again *L*
But it seems that their marketing has been sucessfull..a lot of people think they can do the same stuff...

Terra...

Jasonx82 said:
hoping a Pcie version is not to far off

Me too... my Shuttle SN25P SFF doesn't have any PCI slots :p , so if they want me to even consider buying this, it needs a PCI-E x1 version as well :).

pxc said:
I don't. :p If it was in PCI-E I might be tempted to buy one if UT2007 makes good use of it.

Except for the flame thrower demo in the preview I read, the rest of the physics that were pictured should be well within the capabilities of Havok FX.

i have seen it said that UT2007 will support Aegia's PhysiX card, but i havent seen anything to say it will support Havok FX, so for physics effects in UT2007 it may be PPU or nothing

They can but I am sure the Ageia chip is way more powerful and suited for the job... I mean why throw away 80 % of the graphics performance just to get slightly enhanced physics??

I won´t make that trade I can say for sure. Especially since I am on a dual core I would preferr game developers more focusing on optimizing for such CPU:s that sure as hell is more powerful than the Ageia Chip will ever be :).

Maybe the Ageia should have come prior to the dual cores... Now if the price is right and I can fit one in my computer I may get one anyway if there indead prooves to improve performance in feature games. If it´s cheaper then just getting another video card...

Terra said:
I have to agree again *L*
But it seems that their marketing has been sucessfull..a lot of people think they can do the same stuff...

Terra...

very annoying, isnt it.

and some ppl seem to be happy about it, even. :confused:

mashie said:
The GPU physics will be a good transition solution but a dedicated card is the way to go.

I'm really hoping that people come around to see this and it really does take hold.

Back