And Vulkan is now here :)

thanks...that's what confused me...don't know why they couldn't put Vulkan support into the latest 361.91 WHQL drivers...or maybe they did that on purpose because Vulkan is still not ready in the eyes of Nvidia for a full release

They're just not ready to take those ultra-red-reflective tin foil hats off yet. Or their GameWorks lab coats.

thanks...that's what confused me...don't know why they couldn't put Vulkan support into the latest 361.91 WHQL drivers...or maybe they did that on purpose because Vulkan is still not ready in the eyes of Nvidia for a full release
Probably because the group working on vulkan branched from the main driver to add the feature and will merge back in once the feature is finished/tested. Meanwhile the main driver team kept working. Maybe there's there are even merge conflicts that need to be resolved. Give it a release or two and I'm sure it'll be mainlined.

Epic's latest Vulkan API test, this is for the mobile market, specifically for the Samsung Galaxy S7, pretty awesome if we actually get that in a phone near us any time soon.

edit to add:
Epic Games Unveils ProtoStar at Samsung Galaxy Unpacked

Blog post about said test.

Actual video link just showing the effects running, this is in real time as far as i know.

Last edited:
^ yep. Google adopted Vulkan 100% and even acquired some of the Lumix devs. It'll be Apple's loss if they stick to Metal and ignore Vulkan, because high end Android phones will hit console graphics that much sooner.

^ yep. Google adopted Vulkan 100% and even acquired some of the Lumix devs. It'll be Apple's loss if they stick to Metal and ignore Vulkan, because high end Android phones will hit console graphics that much sooner.

Apple has been curb stomping Android on graphics performance for years, there is nothing about Vulkan that shoukd make that change just because Vulkan is multiplatform:

The Apple iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus Review

Having said that, Apple has been huge into OpenGL for many years and Vulkan will be a natural progression of that if it gets traction.

Last edited:
With these new API's being "closer to the metal" having one tailored to your hardware could be a big advantage.

One of the Khronos working group guys made mention of a translation layer for running Vulkan over Metal. Should be minimal overhead as they are all abstracted at about the same level with similar capabilities. If that's the case it should allow porting with minimal effort. Would still be nice to see a native implementation.

Ok hope that this isn't considered necroing but just wanted to share that latest drivers from both companies are showing much improved performance @Vulkan.

Talos and Vulkan Q & A :: The Talos Principle General Discussions

I don't have this game to test sadly but it makes me wonder, were there improvements on the hastily made code or were there only driver improvements the ones responsible for this reported performance increase?... digging in the thread it seems that the answer is "Both, and Vk drivers still need more time in the oven!", that is, lots of initial Vk code bugs have been fixed on the game, and also lots of overhead on the Nv Vk driver + one last AMD bug have been squashed out, and they think that the last big bug for both IHV's is on the shader compiler for Vk that is still making Vk and OpenGL slower than Dx when GPU bound.

Ok hope that this isn't considered necroing but just wanted to share that latest drivers from both companies are showing much improved performance @Vulkan.

I don't have this game to test sadly but it makes me wonder, were there improvements on the hastily made code or were there only driver improvements the ones responsible for this reported performance increase?... digging in the thread it seems that the answer is "Both, and Vk drivers still need more time in the oven!", that is, lots of initial Vk code bugs have been fixed on the game, and also lots of overhead on the Nv Vk driver + one last AMD bug have been squashed out, and they think that the last big bug for both IHV's is on the shader compiler for Vk that is still making Vk and OpenGL slower than Dx when GPU bound.
Sounds like positive progress at least.

Both as you'd suggest. They released somewhere that they were at stage 1 of 3 when Vulkan first released. 1 was just wrapping OpenGL and getting it to run, 2 was optimization, and 3 was possibly a rewrite of the engine or something. As for drivers, I think Vulklan was adjusting how it goes about memory management with the API. Moving towards a caching system instead of the original explicit nature. Explicit works for console, but memory pool is a bit more variable on the PC side.

Nice to see someone playing new Doom with a mouse and keyboard for a change. That was some fast paced action. :)

Nice to see they uncapped frames. I hope that option ships with the game.

Fantastic to see Vulkan getting adoption, as it supports explicit multi-adapter.

Reactions: DPI
like this
If the engine lead at DICE keeps his promise to deliver Battlefield 1 on Vulkan, then DX12's days will be numbered, as will Microsoft's bullshit tactics and marketing agenda limiting an API to one version of Windows.

Fantastic to see Vulkan getting adoption, as it supports explicit multi-adapter.

That is one of the biggest things I'm very interested in seeing in action. Hopefully the majority of Crossfire and SLI Issues will be made redundant.

If the engine lead at DICE keeps his promise to deliver Battlefield 1 on Vulkan, then DX12's days will be numbered, as will Microsoft's bullshit tactics and marketing agenda limiting an API to one version of Windows.

Well, since DICE did work with AMD to develop it, they should be be good with integrating it (or they already have a version of Vulkan integrated in the Frostbyte engine if you listen to the rumors).

Unless the EA upper brass decide otherwise I guess.

I still remember the incessant bitching about Windows 7, because the new UI was too difficult to use :rolleyes:

There are a lot more engines than just Frostbite! If unreal, unity, and crysis fall in line then yes.

On this very same page you missed the video i linked of Epic showing Unreal Engine 4 on Vulkan for the latest Samsung phone reveal?, so yeah Unreal is already on board.

Unity is slow even on the DX12 uptake, but they have gone on the record to express that they will support it (they just are playing catch up at the moment in general tho).

Cryengine has been slow too but just on March did they start to support DX12, will take a wee bit longer for them to also support Vulkan.

At the end of the day they will all fall in line if only because with Vulkan you support the Android market at once too, this is a no brainer.

At the end of the day they will all fall in line if only because with Vulkan you support the Android market at once too, this is a no brainer.
I certainly hope you're right-- would be amazing for a cross-platform API to take hold. This could kickstart OSX and linux gaming bigtime.

I certainly hope you're right-- would be amazing for a cross-platform API to take hold. This could kickstart OSX and linux gaming bigtime.

Well apparently Doom will be Windows-only despite Vulkan so there ya have it. All sorts of politics and other BS getting in the way.

No idea how legit that is, but it seems pretty clear. Even for linux, it's probably worth noting Vulkan should be easy to emulate. Low API overhead and a native implementation for the graphics API solves a lot of issues. OpenGL's issue was always driver quality, which has less of an impact on Vulkan. Some emulated games already run faster than windows, fixing the graphics API should make it trivial to get things working.

Interesting-- good catch. Hopefully performance isn't hit too badly with that metal translation layer.

Eh not gonna happen. Valve will never touch Direct3D again. Source 2 titles will all be Vulkan.

Valve could just release Half Life 3 on Vulkan and change the industry overnight. XD

Back