AMD's Radeon RX 7900-series Highlights

Speaking of third-party reviews, Babel Tech Reviews is on the ball as usual, and it's not looking pretty for the RX 7900 XTX's VR performance.

https://babeltechreviews.com/hellhound-rx-7900-xtx-vs-rtx-4080-50-games-vr/

Alas, they don't re-test with later drivers, so we won't know if AMD will close the gap. Something's seriously weird about the fat frame time lines for AMD in the graph compared to NVIDIA's thin plots.
That’s gotta be a driver issue, right? Right?

The performance variance is a lot more varied than your post implies, this thread from another forum was the reason for me ordering a 4090 today:
https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/...ance-comparisons-2021-2022.62346/post-2279344

The variance goes from equal performance to the 3090 Ti to the 3090 Ti being ~60% faster in raytracing.
The pattern is that the more raytracing effects/load the games has, the bigger the gap.
Looking forward, I doubt raytracing will be used less in games which affected my buying decision.
you should have ordered a 4090 a while back if RT was the main reason.

Alas, they don't re-test with later drivers, so we won't know if AMD will close the gap. Something's seriously weird about the fat frame time lines for AMD in the graph compared to NVIDIA's thin plots.
That erratic spread on AMD frametimes in VR has been a thing every gen for as long as I can remember, at least back to 2016 when HardOCP VR reviews were including frametime charts. AMD has lagged behind in VR frametimes/framerates for whatever reasons. Part of it may be that the driver team doesn't have enough bandwidth to devote to PCVR.

Last edited:
That erratic spread on AMD frametimes in VR has been a thing as long as I can remember, at least back to 2016 when Kyle/HardOCP were doing VR reviews that included frametime charts. AMD has consistently lagged behind in VR performance with frametimes and framerates for whatever reasons. Part of it may be that the driver team doesn't have unlimited resources to devote to PCVR.
That is what probably what it is and they probably don't see it as a major market driver at this time for games. Both probably contribute to not focusing resources on it. There is already rumors that driver 23.1.1 is supposed more performance/efficiency improvements for RDNA3 so it seems they don't have the same driver resources as nvidia and usually lag behind with new architecture launches with optimizations.

That is what probably what it is and they probably don't see it as a major market driver at this time for games. Both probably contribute to not focusing resources on it. There is already rumors that driver 23.1.1 is supposed more performance/efficiency improvements for RDNA3 so it seems they don't have the same driver resources as nvidia and usually lag behind with new architecture launches with optimizations.
Nvidia has more resources poured into its gaming graphics driver division than AMD has poured into its entire graphics division in 2022 so far. The resources of the two aren't compatible in the slightest.

The seriousness of his X quantity benchmark breakdown is comedy gold. Must watch.

Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 14-00-05 AMD's Greedy Upsell RX 7900 XT Review & Benchmarks vs. XTX 4...png

XFX is just cheating.

A couple months ago, when they released the 3060 8GB.
https://www.techspot.com/review/2581-nvidia-rtx-3060-8gb/
That's Nvidia intentionally making bad GPU's. If the GTX 970 had 1GB of VRAM that wasn't usable then Nvidia screwed up. If Nvidia releases two products with the same name but one is clearly inferior then Nvidia is trying to trick you. The reason they're doing it is because the RTX 3060 is popular, and people aren't buying AMD. When searching on Amazon I can find new RTX 3060's with 12GB for $400, but I can also find AMD 6600 XT's for the same price, but 8GB. Unless there's some sort of lawsuit, Nvidia will continue this practice. BTW, they've done it before, many times over. GTX 1060 3GB vs 6GB. GTX 1030 DDR3 vs GDDR5.

Nvidia has more resources poured into its gaming graphics driver division than AMD has poured into its entire graphics division in 2022 so far. The resources of the two aren't compatible in the slightest.
MLID said few AT&T employees resources said the driver team has been asked to work holidays. And everyone from design team and company wide expectations were much more than they delivered. So looks like driver team kinda botched the optimization it seems as everyone was surprised by performance being all over the place. It really seems like everytime they have departure from previous architecture it takes longer to optimize. RDNA 2 was basically doubled of what was RDNA1 so it was a smooth transition. New display engine and new architecture seem to have started it all over again.

That’s why there is rumor going around on Twitter that 23.1.1 driver will deliver performance/efficiency optimizations and I am not surprised by it. Probably sometime next month as they work overtime.

Looks like driver team lagged a bit on new design again.

I saw crazy CoD framerate in hardware Unboxed uploads.
That in of itself is something.

Sad but if you cherry picked a few titles to optimize then you have a winner.

F'ing morons willing to pay 2x the MSRP for a card just so they can have it "now"
Free will. I have no problem with them spending their money how they like. Far too many folks care what other people do with their own money.

because in this instance it affects us too.
Just because someone purchased a scalped card doesn't change the MSRP. Prices going up according to demand aren't anything new. Luxury goods are luxury goods. Don't be poor if it's in high demand or just buy something cheaper.

I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about how I spend (I don't buy scalped anything) my money. Here's what I think about people that cry about others spending their money.

1670980494136.png

MLID said few AT&T employees resources said the driver team has been asked to work holidays. And everyone from design team and company wide expectations were much more than they delivered. So looks like driver team kinda botched the optimization it seems as everyone was surprised by performance being all over the place. It really seems like everytime they have departure from previous architecture it takes longer to optimize. RDNA 2 was basically doubled of what was RDNA1 so it was a smooth transition. New display engine and new architecture seem to have started it all over again.

That’s why there is rumor going around on Twitter that 23.1.1 driver will deliver performance/efficiency optimizations and I am not surprised by it. Probably sometime next month as they work overtime.

Looks like driver team lagged a bit on new design again.
MILDs trusted sources are posters on Reddit I’m sure of it. AMD drivers are a bit of a mess right now their CDNA2 drivers are in a rough place ATM as well they will get it sorted I’m sure of it. But it’s not like anybody should be surprised that AMD’s launch drivers aren’t exactly stellar, it’s been their operating MO for the better part of a decade.

Just because someone purchased a scalped card doesn't change the MSRP. Prices going up according to demand aren't anything new. Luxury goods are luxury goods. Don't be poor if it's in high demand or just buy something cheaper.

I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks about how I spend (I don't buy scalped anything) my money. Here's what I think about people that cry about others spending their money.

View attachment 534078
not the point and cant even use the meme correctly...

MILDs trusted sources are posters on Reddit I’m sure of it. AMD drivers are a bit of a mess right now their CDNA2 drivers are in a rough place ATM as well they will get it sorted I’m sure of it. But it’s not like anybody should be surprised that AMD’s launch drivers aren’t exactly stellar, it’s been their operating MO for the better part of a decade.
hey you are the right to think whatever you want. I have followed him for a bit while he is wrong at times and also correct at times, he was the only one telling people to pump the brakes on 2.3x performance increase. I have 0 doubt people actually reach out to him cuz he has viewers, cuz people talk and its not like they are dwelling too much they are just telling you bit about it. He literally showed exact quote some of this guys didn't work directly on drivers but the last source from driver team said they are working overtime to optimize for RDNA3 and were told to work during holidays. Because leadership, hardware and everyone expected more consistent performance and better from driver team.

lets not make this about mlid vs the world just saying what everyone is basically talking about on twitter etc with performance being all over the place especially in some older games or less popular titles. That's why it kinda adds up.

Yeah. Point is that the people who pay the scalpers enable them. Some people just suck. I have the money but won't pay bc I fucking care about folks that work hard and can't afford the scalper tax. If you disagree then I have a problem with you.

AMD drivers take time to mature. We know and should expect this. Better some competition than an Nvidia rape festival.

Let's stay on topic please and keep the bickering to yourself.

Yes there are scalpers. Go make a scalper thread and whine there. We all know the story already.

Reactions: mkppo
like this
Okay, so I expected the 7900 XTX to be faster, but it's very apparent that on titles that can extract ILP this is much, much faster than the 4080. On titles that don't, it's about the same or slower than the 4080. On average, it's about 5% faster in raster and 15% slower in RT compared to the 4080. It overclocks much better than the 4080 with the AIB cards though, seeing TPU's review it's crazy that they're extracting 13% more performance from an overclock which I haven't seen in a while.

Also, for people who think drivers won't increase performance, I doubt you'd say the same if you see past trends with new architectures from AMD especially where there's ILP involved. There's just no way the 4080 can compete in raster with the 7900 XTX a few months down the line, should easily be 10-15% faster on average with the XTX extending it's lead when both are overclocked. For me, the 4080 is clearly worse value compared to the 7900 XTX and even the lead in RT doesn't seem to be as high as I thought it'd be and FINALLY the encode/decode performance seems to be almost on par with NVENC and it has a much better display engine.

For 20% less money than the 4080, i'll just replace the 3090 with the 7900 XTX. Hell, I'll end up paying around the same amount for a 7900 XTX + waterblock for the price of a reference 4080 with that brick of a cooler. I've had to replace a 3090 for that stupid game bug that bricked one, and the 3090 FE on the other system needed it's memory pads replaced because it would restart when gaming because obviously nvidia did a shitty job of putting on terrible memory pads on their "premium" FE card. Trash. Ended up replacing the whole cooler with the beautiful EK FE block.

So long nvidia.

Because it performs better than the $1200 (really almost $1300) card easily. If it actually was slower than you suggest then yeah. That would make sense, but until a price drop 4080 comes through I don't see how that would be a hard decision.
The best choice is to buy neither of these products. The RX 7900 XT is $900 and much too slow compared to the XTX to make it a good choice. I agree with what reviewers are saying in that the 7900 XT is there to push you to buy the 7900 XTX. Funny enough, if you pay attention to benchmarks the 6950 XT is not much slower than the 7900 XT, and on Amazon you can buy one for $800, which is $100 cheaper than the 7900 XT. The 6700 XT can be found for $360 new on Amazon. That's a really good deal right now. On Ebay the 6950 XT is going for well over $1k, which shows how much the scalpers must have paid for those GPU's if they're selling for double the price on Amazon. Not always new either. The 6700 XT isn't worth it on Ebay either as they are going for a little over $300. Right now it's an odd situation where new is cheaper than used on Ebay. Let AMD and Nvidia fight over sales for their overpriced $1000 GPU's, where the real deals are buying 6950 XT's or 6700 XT's. FYI, regular 6700 is just a little over $300. That's well within mainstream pricing.

Last edited:
Looking forward to the Strix models reveals and benches more than anything. All in all I'd give a big hell yeah to the release, but not paying a thousand dollars for a video card anytime soon.

The best choice is to buy neither of these products. The RX 7900 XT is $900 and much too slow compared to the XTX to make it a good choice. I agree with what reviewers are saying in that the 7900 XT is there to push you to buy the 7900 XTX. Funny enough, if you pay attention to benchmarks the 6950 XT is not much slower than the 7900 XT, and on Amazon you can buy one for $800, which is $100 cheaper than the 7900 XT. The 6700 XT can be found for $360 new on Amazon. That's a really good deal right now. On Ebay the 6950 XT is going for well over $1k, which shows how much the scalpers must have paid for those GPU's if they're selling for double the price on Amazon. Not always new either. The 6700 XT isn't worth it on Ebay either as they are going for a little over $300 but that isn't worth it in my opinion. Right now it's an odd situation where new is cheaper than used on Ebay. Let AMD and Nvidia fight over sales for their overpriced $1000 GPU's, where the real deals are buying 6950 XT's or 6700 XT's. FYI, regular 6700 is just a little over $300. That's well within mainstream pricing.
Oh I'm probably going to buy an older card this round. There's still some deals to be had as you listed above.

Last edited:
Oh I'm probably going to buy and older card this round. There's still some deals to be had as you listed above.
I already had to overpay for a 3080TI back in April when my 2080TI went and kicked it, I cant justify replacing it just yet regardless of what comes out

Reactions: kac77
like this
I already had to overpay for a 3080TI back in April when my 2080TI went and kicked it, I cant justify replacing it just yet regardless of what comes out
Send it out to get repaired. Unless the core is dead, it can probably be fixed.

Send it out to get repaired. Unless the core is dead, it can probably be fixed.
Custom loop popped it took out the whole PC, nothing was covered. Well except the pump that blew and ruined the whole thing…. Thanks EKWB.

Data was already out 4090 destroyed everything in rt. Including the 4080.
There was no objective verifiable data before the NDA was lifted on AMD's 7000 series and reviews were available.
Some people confuse rumors / leaks / PR with the before-mentioned.

Nvidia = Good cards but over priced.
AMD = Good cards but over priced.
Fans = RT is everything

Tough crowd...

There was no objective verifiable data before the NDA was lifted on AMD's 7000 series and reviews were available.
Some people confuse rumors / leaks / PR with the before-mentioned.

I am not going to go down this road after this message. There was raytracing data available from AMD's own numbers and AMD said it was 4080 competitor and 4090 was monster in ray tracing and destroyed the 4080 in rt too, it was just common sense at that point. Nothing was competing with it. They weren't rumors. All good enjoy the card.

The Asus is a quad slot monster.
They're using the same cooler from the 4090 and 4080.
Okay, so I expected the 7900 XTX to be faster, but it's very apparent that on titles that can extract ILP this is much, much faster than the 4080. On titles that don't, it's about the same or slower than the 4080. On average, it's about 5% faster in raster and 15% slower in RT compared to the 4080. It overclocks much better than the 4080 with the AIB cards though, seeing TPU's review it's crazy that they're extracting 13% more performance from an overclock which I haven't seen in a while.

Also, for people who think drivers won't increase performance, I doubt you'd say the same if you see past trends with new architectures from AMD especially where there's ILP involved. There's just no way the 4080 can compete in raster with the 7900 XTX a few months down the line, should easily be 10-15% faster on average with the XTX extending it's lead when both are overclocked. For me, the 4080 is clearly worse value compared to the 7900 XTX and even the lead in RT doesn't seem to be as high as I thought it'd be and FINALLY the encode/decode performance seems to be almost on par with NVENC and it has a much better display engine.

For 20% less money than the 4080, i'll just replace the 3090 with the 7900 XTX. Hell, I'll end up paying around the same amount for a 7900 XTX + waterblock for the price of a reference 4080 with that brick of a cooler. I've had to replace a 3090 for that stupid game bug that bricked one, and the 3090 FE on the other system needed it's memory pads replaced because it would restart when gaming because obviously nvidia did a shitty job of putting on terrible memory pads on their "premium" FE card. Trash. Ended up replacing the whole cooler with the beautiful EK FE block.

So long nvidia.
16.7% less money, not 20%

Reactions: mkppo
like this
Back