Amazon.com 5850/5870 Pre-Order tracking thread

nov. 7th order placed. No word on my sapphire 5870 yet from amazon.com

I pre-ordered an XFX 5870 from amazon Nov 16 and it said right away that it won't arrive till after DEC 25. It was 399 when I ordered it and now it's 420 or something. Haven't gotten any emails asking anything so I can only hope I actually get it for that price.
I also pre-ordered it from Mwave.com and those A-holes took my money and then sent me an email about ten minutes later saying that they won't be getting them at all ever and that the item was deactivated, and then they kept my money for like a week... I was pissed. That's when I went to amazon, but given my last pre-order experience I'm a little nervous.

I pre-ordered an XFX 5870 from amazon Nov 16 and it said right away that it won't arrive till after DEC 25. It was 399 when I ordered it and now it's 420 or something. Haven't gotten any emails asking anything so I can only hope I actually get it for that price.
I also pre-ordered it from Mwave.com and those A-holes took my money and then sent me an email about ten minutes later saying that they won't be getting them at all ever and that the item was deactivated, and then they kept my money for like a week... I was pissed. That's when I went to amazon, but given my last pre-order experience I'm a little nervous.

I'd be seriously pissed with Mwave if that happened to me. Their recent pricing of the 5850's has turned me completely off to them.

I'd be seriously pissed with Mwave if that happened to me. Their recent pricing of the 5850's has turned me completely off to them.

Yep, the whole "bill first check stock second" approach is total bs. They effectively put a "hold" on those funds and then instead of canceling the reserve they just never charge it and let it expire. That means your funding source isn't going to release those funds for about 7 days because that's how long they give a retailer to send the transaction though.

At least Amazon won't charge you until it ships. One of the nice things about that is that you're apt to see the charge quicker than you get the Amazon notification. So not only am I camping my email for an Amazon notification but I'm eyeing my credit card balance for a charge to show up.

At least Amazon won't charge you until it ships. One of the nice things about that is that you're apt to see the charge quicker than you get the Amazon notification. So not only am I camping my email for an Amazon notification but I'm eyeing my credit card balance for a charge to show up.

Yea I ordered a 5850 through Amazon from TigerDirect on the Nov 11th. Tiger has yet to get the card instock and has canceled the order, Amazon refuses to refund because they say Tiger has shipped it. I've called and explained that the order couldn't be processed because TD doesn't have any and they refuse to refund because "it's still within the timetable for TD to ship". Amazon keeps telling me that it's shipped though there's no tracking number and I personally called TD and told them to cancel the backorder because I bought it elsewhere after they botched the order.

I don't know how to explain any better to Amazon that I ordered a card, Tiger didn't have any instock, and I canceled the order because they don't have any. I tried to tell them to call Tiger, and they refuse saying they have to do everything on the computer. Tiger promised me a refund this past Wednesday, but obviously that didn't happen. Amazon is telling me that refusing the shipment whenever it arrives is the only way I can get my money back.

Probably in January a Visiontek 5850 will come FedEx. :mad:
I'll never ever ever ever order anything from those 2 companies again!

Cagey

As an update, my order for a Sapphire 5850 placed on 10/29 is currently in "Shipping Soon" mode. It says it can't be canceled, and they've placed a temporary authorization on my credit card. I assume this means it could ship today. Pretty excited. There's been a number of games that I have that I can't even play on my 7900, because I was waiting for this card.

And cageymaru, have you considered contacting the Better Business Bureau? Call Tiger and Amazon and threaten them. Also, you can contact your credit card company and tell them the item was never received. They should be able to fix things for you.

Update: as of 11/24/09, still in "Shipping Soon" mode. WTH is that? How long does it take them to prepare for shipping? BS, if you ask me. They either have it or they don't.

Last edited:
I got my XFX 5850 from XFX direct... :D

Just wanted to burn that in.

Check the Hot Deal threads for details, most likely sold out now though :cool:

Ordered a 5850 from Amazon on Oct 18th, it's been more than a month, still no ETA on shipment.

This is why I hate preordering. I saw the his 5870 in stock at ncixus earlier today.

I just got my "are you sure you still want to order this, if so then confirm" email from Amazon. Original order date October 24th.

It was in stock, but I forgot to get a screen shot to prove it as was trying to buy one. If anyone happened to get one, I believe we can force them to ship our pre-orders first.

Just ordered the one from buy.com for $297, with tax and shipping that's $60 over the preorder price I got, but I'll crossfire or something if Amazon ever ships it.

Very weak. Both the ASIN and Model Number are the same as my order from 10.14. How could their system not ship our cards in order to jump on the price-hiking-bandwagon?

Was it in stock / sold by Amazon or filled by BUY.com through Amazon?

Well, I just got a notice from Amazon.com that my Sapphire 5850 has shipped. Ordered on 10/29/09. Got a tracking number, too, so everything looks to be in order.

Ordered Oct 20
XFX 5850 $259.99

Got this email:

Hello from Amazon.com.

We're still trying to obtain the following item you ordered on October 20 2009 (Order# XXXXXXXXXX).

"XFX RADEON HD 5850 1 GB DDR5 PCI Express Card HD585AZNFC"
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q4U5EY

Still want it? We'll keep on trying. To keep your order for this item open, please click the link below. Otherwise, we'll cancel your order on December 19 2009, if we haven't located it by then.

****Link to keep order*****

You'll still be able to cancel at any time before we ship it. If you want to cancel the item now, please click the link below:

****Cancel link here******

If there are other items in your order, they'll be shipped according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in "Your Account" (www.amazon.com/your-account).

By approving the new delivery estimate, you are letting us know that you still want the item(s) though they may arrive later than expected. If there are other items in your order, they will ship according to the delivery estimates listed in the order details in "Your Account" (http://www.amazon.com/your-account).

We apologize for the inconvenience caused by this delay.

WHY WAS MY ORDER DELAYED?
While we do our best to adhere to our delivery estimates, our inventory is constantly changing based on information we receive directly from our suppliers. Occasionally, unexpected fluctuations in supply, delays during shipping, or changes in release dates for new products will add time to our original delivery estimate.

WHAT IF I WANT TO CHANGE OR CANCEL MY ORDER?
If your order hasn't entered the shipping process, you can change or cancel it by clicking on Your Account at the top of any Amazon.com page. Once there, choose "Open and Recently Shipped Orders". If the order is "shipping soon" or "completed", you won't be able to make any changes as it's on the way out the door; we apologize for any inconvenience.

WHAT IF AN ITEM HAS SHIPPED AND I NO LONGER WANT IT?
If your shipment arrives too late, you may either refuse delivery or return it to us for a refund. For returns instructions, please visit our Returns Center at www.amazon.com/returns.

HOW DO I CONTACT YOU ABOUT MY ORDER?
If you have more questions about this order, you can e-mail or phone Customer Service by clicking the "Contact Us" button on the right side of any Help page (www.amazon.com/help).

Sincerely,

Customer Service Department
http://www.amazon.com
==============================
Check your order and more: http://www.amazon.com/your-account

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Very weak. Both the ASIN and Model Number are the same as my order from 10.14. How could their system not ship our cards in order to jump on the price-hiking-bandwagon?

It was in stock at Amazon marketplace... fulfilled through TigerDirect. They aren't screwing us on that. They haven't shown them instock at Amazon in forever.

Man, I have seen stock go in and out for at least a dozen retailers two or three times and Amazon has yet to get any. They are killing me...

Wow Amazon actually shipped out my Sapphire 5970! I got it for $599 with the free shipping. Should be here tomorrow. LOL.

Maybe Amazon has a really long line. As far as I know, it was the best waiting list price anywhere. I'm sure a lot of re-sellers were ordering in bulk from Amazon.

Ordered a 5850 from Amazon on Oct 18th, it's been more than a month, still no ETA on shipment.

Wow that's not even right. There's no way that your 5850 shouldn't have shipped by now when I got a brand spanking new 5970 from Amazon already. You need to call and complain with the BBB or something.

Man, I have seen stock go in and out for at least a dozen retailers two or three times and Amazon has yet to get any. They are killing me...

I hope it has not been in stock because incoming "stock" is reserved for pre-orders.

Dig

I hope XFX is worth the longer wait.

Me too. I almost bit on the $309 5850's that have been popping up over at newegg over the last couple of days. I'm sticking to my guns and waiting to get my xfx from Amazon for the original price. Plus the mobo I want is out of stock at the moment so that's my current rationalization for not jumping on the newegg at $309. Plus I really want an xfx anyways.

Yah been alot of 5850 for 309 on newegg lately, even now there's the xfx 5850 for 309 on newegg. With tax & shipping that's almost a 5870 MSRP if I had ordered one months ago from Amazon, no tax + freeshipping. My 4850 is still holding up at least.

I don't understand how Newegg and other places are getting the XFX in but Amazon seems to be making no progress on orders. Frustrating.

Yep, the whole "bill first check stock second" approach is total bs. They effectively put a "hold" on those funds and then instead of canceling the reserve they just never charge it and let it expire. That means your funding source isn't going to release those funds for about 7 days because that's how long they give a retailer to send the transaction though.

Yep, same thing happened to me with both Mwave and NCIXUS while trying to get a 5850 this past week. Both e-tailers went ahead and charged my card before checking stock, even though I placed the orders while their web sites still showed available stock. After the payments were charged, both told me the item was out of stock.

Mwave is letting the charge sit and expire, tying up my funds, while NCIXUS at least followed through on canceling it. Both e-tailers had good phone customer service, but I won't be doing business with a shop that charges for an out of stock item and then thinks it's okay to let my money sit in credit limbo for a week.

The good news: managed to get in an order for the XFX 5850 today while Newegg briefly had them in stock again, paid for rush processing, and according to their site, my card just shipped out. The Egg likes to let canceled payments sit and expire sometimes too, but at least they check their stock.

Moral of the story: be careful when trying to order these cards online.

Yep, same thing happened to me with both Mwave and NCIXUS while trying to get a 5850 this past week. Both e-tailers went ahead and charged my card before checking stock, even though I placed the orders while their web sites still showed available stock. After the payments were charged, both told me the item was out of stock.

Mwave is letting the charge sit and expire, tying up my funds, while NCIXUS at least followed through on canceling it. Both e-tailers had good phone customer service, but I won't be doing business with a shop that charges for an out of stock item and then thinks it's okay to let my money sit in credit limbo for a week.

The good news: managed to get in an order for the XFX 5850 today while Newegg briefly had them in stock again, paid for rush processing, and according to their site, my card just shipped out. The Egg likes to let canceled payments sit and expire sometimes too, but at least they check their stock.

Moral of the story: be careful when trying to order these cards online.

i believe thats against VISA/MC standards. They are only suppose to Authorize the cards and not charge the customers credit card until the item actually ships. So they did a big No no well hopefully they don't get fined

i believe thats against VISA/MC standards. They are only suppose to Authorize the cards and not charge the customers credit card until the item actually ships. So they did a big No no well hopefully they don't get fined

It shouldn't be a charge, it's most likely just a reserve. It will show as being in a "pending" or "reserved" until it expires. The bad thing is that the funding source is going to set those funds aside until either the retailer sends the charge through or the reserve expires. So if you used paypal that draws from your bank account then your funds are unavailable until that reserve expires; effectively "holding" your money for a retailer that isn't going to collect it but you still can't access it.

Ok... has anyone gotten their 5870 from amazon yet? Newegg has XFX 5870 in stock right now, last night amazon had the sapphire 5870, today tigerdirect has the sapphire 5870, I would buy it from newegg right this second but I'm a cheap bastard and don't want to spend $470 when i might get my pre-ordered one for 399 anytime from amazon.

Also, I've been seeing 5850s all over the place....

I just got an e-mail from Amazon revising my XFX 5850 expected ship date to 12/24/09 (it had been 11/20-12/3). They asked, of course, if I wanted to cancel the order.

I'm just going to let the order sit and wait for the card @ $259 shipped. I can get by OK for now using the MSI 4870 that I bought when I did my i5 build last month.

Is see HIS, Diamond, and Sapphire all in stock @ newegg for 5850's.

HIS and XFX instock at egg for 5870's They have been instock for 2 days now.

I just got an e-mail from Amazon revising my XFX 5850 expected ship date to 12/24/09 (it had been 11/20-12/3)..

Well damn, I ordered mine the Oct 24th and you ordered yours on the 29th and mine has never said anything other than "we need more time" for the expected ship date. I don't know if that's good or bad by comparison.

lol did anybody on this list get theirs from amazon yet? seems krzy as newegg has had these in stock several times during this period

Back