Achieva Shimian QH270| $400 IPS 2560x1440 Korean Monitor

No audio.

The Crossover has the most neutral and accurate colours due to the native gamma while the Samsung can be slightly over-saturated. Skin tons and some day time scenes are better on the Crossover but the Samsung has better contrast/black levels. Whites and light colours are better on the Crossover while dark scenes are better on the Samsung. Overall the Samsung is better but it cost twice as much.

The Catleap Q270 SE is one nice monitor. This is such an amazing price for these monitors that it's well worth it compared to the competition that's out there with Dell and HP.

whats the difference between the catleap se and the shimian?

Does a standard monitor cord work with the catleap power brick?

Quick question, which one of these monitors has an actual scaler? I would very much like to purchase one with additional input options. Input lag isn't a concern, I'm used to 30ms anyway.

whats the difference between the catleap se and the shimian?

Does a standard monitor cord work with the catleap power brick?
I'm not really sure. Overclocker's has a run down on the three models which a link is in the first post here.

Yes, a standard PSU power cord works.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Speaking of the QH270-lite, both red-cap and bigclothcraft have marked their units down to $335 to match ta_planet's price drop last week.

ta_seller is having issues with his Crossover stock, they have a severe pixel defect causing white lines so he is cancelling orders on them.

No audio.

The Crossover has the most neutral and accurate colours due to the native gamma while the Samsung can be slightly over-saturated. Skin tons and some day time scenes are better on the Crossover but the Samsung has better contrast/black levels. Whites and light colours are better on the Crossover while dark scenes are better on the Samsung. Overall the Samsung is better but it cost twice as much.

Thanks. Just one more question. About the matte Samsung. Is it visible any advantage to the naked eye of the glossy CrossOver. More bright, or the glossy screen dont have any advantage over the matte Samsung. I understand the reflections issue. But i am not talking about reflections, just image brightness. Bottom question. Does the matte on Samsung has any impact even if minimal on image quality?

So will these monitors (Catleap, or any of the Korean monitors really) work with my ATI 5850? I hear rumblings that it won't, but I want to be sure because I REALLY want one of these...

So will these monitors (Catleap, or any of the Korean monitors really) work with my ATI 5850? I hear rumblings that it won't, but I want to be sure because I REALLY want one of these...

It depends on the 5850 because everyone used random parts when they assembled their cards. It appears (and you really need to research it to be sure) that the worst case scenario is you will not be able to view your BIOS or windows load screen but, you will be able to view Windows. Some people have problems, and some people don't due to the card variances and no one really knows for sure what the compatibility lists in the auctions and reviews is referring to.

Prices are already getting cut on the Davi D279SV-VGQ2. bigcraftcloth is selling it for $380 so I would imagine it will be under $350 in a week or two.

I just got my QH270-IPSB (aka Lite) today from Dreamseller for $340. Took 4 days to get from Korea to Phoenix AZ.

So far it looks perfect, no dead or stuck pixels. Screen looks great. I'm very impressed with how nice this monitor looks for the price.

This is replacing my Dell 3007.

I just got my QH270-IPSB (aka Lite) today from Dreamseller for $340. Took 4 days to get from Korea to Phoenix AZ.

So far it looks perfect, no dead or stuck pixels. Screen looks great. I'm very impressed with how nice this monitor looks for the price.

This is replacing my Dell 3007.
thanks for the info.. interesting.. replacing a 3007? why.. was the 3007 dying? are you missing the size difference.. or is it seem fairly close?

I STILL need to replace my VERY aging Westy 37'... was thinking about a 3011... but the price for a catleap to a 3011 is nutz.. so..I guess I just need to squeeze on a catleap...

Pulled the trigger on the Catleap Q270 SE yesterday. Here's hoping it arrives before the weekend.

I setup eyefinity about 2 years ago and rarely turn it on. This will be replacing my main (center) 24 inch 1080p monitor, and I'll probably keep at least 1 of the other 1080p 24 inch monitors for browsing while playing games and shit. Kinda happy I accidentally bought a monitor stand for up to 3 27 inch monitors instead of the the 24 inch monitor version now lol...

Anyone know if actually dcsamsungmall accepts offers as I just made one?

Pretty sure that seller only accepts offers if you want to buy more than one. YMMV though, as prices on these seem to be dropping rapidly.

He does, I tried an offer but he did not get back to me in time before the coupon expired. He offered me 2 crossovers for $800, I would have jumped on that had he replied in time.

thanks for the info.. interesting.. replacing a 3007? why.. was the 3007 dying? are you missing the size difference.. or is it seem fairly close?

I STILL need to replace my VERY aging Westy 37'... was thinking about a 3011... but the price for a catleap to a 3011 is nutz.. so..I guess I just need to squeeze on a catleap...

I loved my 3007 when I got it 3 years ago. But probably in the last year I think the AG coating has really been bothering me. Not sure if it got worse with age or what, but the screen seems somewhat grainy now with it. Also there is some odd darkening on the right side, not noticeable most of the time, but with displaying a solid color it's visible.

And a couple things I didn't quite like about the 3007 is it gives off quite a bit of heat and the brightness level never went high enough (they dark greys on the HardOCP forum barely visible on it without me increasing the gamma in my video drivers).

But it's mostly my gradual dislike for the AG coating on my 3007 and that odd distortion on the right side that made me decide to try my luck on these Korean monitors.

I am work with the monitor, so haven't had a chance to put it next to the 3007. I don't think the size different is going to be much of an issue for me. I'm losing some vertical height, but I don't think I'll really miss that too much.

I will say that these Korean sellers are pretty awesome at helping you out. I dealt with dcsamsungmall and they were very helpful.

You "lose" some height - but you gain a higher ppi and greater clarity (ppi and glossy) imo.

.. A 27" 2560x1440 panel sized up to 30" 2560x1600 sized ppi would be 29.19" diagonal.

.. A 30" 2560x1600 panel sized down to 27" 2560x1440 sized ppi would be 27.75" diagonal.

.. 27" 1440p = 108.8 ppi 0.2335 mm
.. 30" 1600p = 100.6 ppi 0.2524 mm

.. A 2560 x1600 30" made into the corresponding 16:9 width to make 2844x1600 at the same 100.6ppi would be 32.43"
.. A 2560 x1600 30" made into the corresponding 16:9 width to make 2844x1600 at 108.8ppi would be 29.99" diagonal. ..

...A 2560 x 1440 27" made into the corresponding 16:10 width to make 2304x1440 at the same 108.8dpi would be 24.78"
...A 2560 x 1440 27" made into the corresponding 16:10 width to make 2304x1440 at the larger 100.6 dpi would be 26.8"

I think thats pretty accurate.. I did some examining of those concepts when I was researching my 27" acd purchase early last year so I thought I'd pass them along again.

Can anyone confirm these monitors will work with a late 2008 Macbook Pro? Max resolution quoted for external monitors is 2560 x 1600. Video card is 9600M GT 256MB. Don't want to overclock (blasphemous, I know), just use it as an external display in clamshell mode using a Display Port to DVI-D cable found on eBay for $13.

Can anyone confirm these monitors will work with a late 2008 Macbook Pro? Max resolution quoted for external monitors is 2560 x 1600. Video card is 9600M GT 256MB. Don't want to overclock (blasphemous, I know), just use it as an external display in clamshell mode using a Display Port to DVI-D cable found on eBay for $13.

You will need this cable (or similar). Your single-link mDP->DVI cable can't drive anything greater than 1920x1200.

I replied earlier that the main reason I'm replacing my 30 inch Dell is because it's aging and not looking as nice as it once did (and out of warranty so can't get it fixed).

Regarding the size difference. 30 to 27 inches, I guess I was thinking it would be a pretty small difference, afterall they both have the same number of horizontal pixels, it can't be that much right?

Well I have my Dell 3007 next to the 27 inch QH270 and it's a bit more noticeable than I was expecting it to be. The Dell is almost 2 inches wider and more than 2 inches taller.

Still, the 27 inch is pretty big and this screen quality is a big improvement over my ailing Dell screen. So I'm very happy. I bought my Dell 3 years ago for $700 at Dell warehouse outlet, great deal. But these days just having a hard time spending even that much for a new 30 inch monitor. So I'm really happy with this $340 27 inch monitor.

Wish the dual link DVI cable was longer. Had to use the one from my Dell, because this cable is way too short. Will need to buy another longer DL-DVI cable if I want to setup my Dell as a secondary monitor, which I do.

I meant to post this last night and forgot to. There is a new model on ebay and, it's CCFL. There is a bit of a price premium for it though compared to the QH270-lite since they retail at the same price. There is a catch though as the pictures make it look like it has a matte screen.

Davi D279SV-VGQ2 disccussion at AVS (credit to original posy by Omyg here at AVS)

Davi D279SV-VGQ2 on ebay for $399 (credit to original post by Zanami here at AVS
Thanks for bringing the CCFL version to our attention.

Racer, does CCFL and matte nudge you a little closer to a purchase? :p

I imagine you'd want to wait for a few people to buy and review it first, i know i can't wait till some qualified eyeballs give their opinion.

Edit: Here's that link to Bigclothcraft, he has the CCFL for $380 shipped or Best Offer: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Pix...-2560x1440-WQHD-Quad-HD-Monitor-/140734676776

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Regarding the size difference. 30 to 27 inches, I guess I was thinking it would be a pretty small difference, afterall they both have the same number of horizontal pixels, it can't be that much right?

Well I have my Dell 3007 next to the 27 inch QH270 and it's a bit more noticeable than I was expecting it to be. The Dell is almost 2 inches wider and more than 2 inches taller.

Once you stop using the 3007, your eyes should adapt fairly quickly and it won't seem like a big difference. When I went from a 34" to a 32" it was noticeable at first but after a couple of days it wasn't. Then I went to a 37" which made the 32" and the 34" look like tablets. Then I went back to a 32" and after a couple of days it didn't look nearly as tiny as it did. Your experience may differ but, I'm pretty sure at some point it won't come across as that big of a difference.

You will need this cable (or similar). Your single-link mDP->DVI cable can't drive anything greater than 1920x1200.

So the mDP needs to be dual link? The inexpensive cable I previously linked is Dual Link DVI.

Is there no alternative other than the ridiculously overpriced Apple cable?

It's not just that it's an Apple product. That's an "active" cable and anything "active" is expensive.

Once you stop using the 3007, your eyes should adapt fairly quickly and it won't seem like a big difference. When I went from a 34" to a 32" it was noticeable at first but after a couple of days it wasn't. Then I went to a 37" which made the 32" and the 34" look like tablets. Then I went back to a 32" and after a couple of days it didn't look nearly as tiny as it did. Your experience may differ but, I'm pretty sure at some point it won't come across as that big of a difference.

I think I'm already adjusted. I really only noticed the physical size difference with the 30 and 27 inch monitors side by side. But since I have the same horizontal pixels, and I usually didn't need the vertical space as much (1440 seems plenty for multiple windows open). So this 27 inch monitor still feels just about as spacious in desktop pixels as my 30 inch.

If you read my post a few before Ravynmagi 's post, you will see why the size difference is such. The 30" screen's pixels are considerably larger. In order to get the same pixel size to your perspective, you would have to move a 30" back further, or a 27" 2560x1440 closer. The 27" is a finer pitch. The 30" is a bit more "jumbo".. but nothing like the jumbo of a 1080p of course.

I like the higher pixel density on the 27" 2560's personally, and at normal desk distances the monitor fills my personal field of view nicely.

Just a warning, guys. The Catleap I got today came with a 190-240V adapter. Doesn't work in the US. Someone else received one in Canada today with the same brick. All of the replacement adapters for this on eBay are conveniently over $100 as of today.

Thanks. Just one more question. About the matte Samsung. Is it visible any advantage to the naked eye of the glossy CrossOver. More bright, or the glossy screen dont have any advantage over the matte Samsung. I understand the reflections issue. But i am not talking about reflections, just image brightness. Bottom question. Does the matte on Samsung has any impact even if minimal on image quality?

Whites and light colours are better on the Crossover because it is glossy. Both displays are set to the same brightness so neither has any advantage in that department, though the Samsung does have a higher maximum brightness, but one should never use an IPS/PLS panel @ high brightness because the blacks will be solid grey and the glow will be far worse. Text is also a tincy bit better on the Crossover.

Coating is coating; when you apply matte coatings there is always going to be a loss in image quality. The Samsung takes a hit compared to a glossy display but it is still 10x better than the grainy trash LG puts on IPS panels and the coating found on most non-VA panels so I can't complain since I like having both a matte and glossy display.

So has anyone been able to overclock their panels at all since the original batch?

I'm actually using a BENQ XL2410T monitor at 120hz at the moment, and whilst its great having a 120hz monitor I just hate the colors on TN panels (and mine's set up about as well as it ever can be).

I ask because I am a heavy gamer and I do tend to notice things like blurring, but I've been wanting a screen larger than 24" for years now. I'm really hoping that i can get one of these panels and overclock to 85hz (i have 2x 7970 so i understand that I am pixel clock limited). I could live with a lower framerate, but I wonder if 60hz would just be too low.

I wish I had never given up my CRT's! :)

Also, just to understand correctly, the CCFL offers no disadvantages over the LED backlit than being thicker. Correct? Is it as bright, or almost as bright?

Wow, bigclothcraft dropped the price of his Achieva QH270-lite down to $330. Granted that's only slightly cheaper than $334 but I'm curious how far they will all drive each other's prices down as more sellers and models enter ebay.

Last edited:
Also, just to understand correctly, the CCFL offers no disadvantages over the LED backlit than being thicker. Correct? Is it as bright, or almost as bright?

The peak brightness on CCFLs can be lower but, no one in their right mind runs at peak brightness anyway. The only actual cons is CCFL uses more electricity. They are thicker displays though than edge lit LED but they do colours better on IPS panls, lack clouding, lack flashlighting, etc. Some say that CCFL runs hotter but I have never felt any heat coming off a modern CCFL display and those were 32" and 37" and had more lamps in them.

Just finished gaming, my colour profile worked for L4D2, Bad Company 2 and Homefront. The input lag is low enough that I can comfortably game with Vsync @60hz after coming from a 120hz TN, except with Homefront and the triple buffering in L4D2. I can barely play on my 850D with Vsync off due to the input lag, so I pretty much never do. I'd say the Crossover is faster than the 850D. There is very minor streaking/smearing and overshoot/corona effect (shield/tail forming around moving objects) but it is minimal compared to the 850D which shows large overshoots depending on the colours when using the "Faster," overdrive setting. Using the lower "Normal," setting eliminates overshoot but there is streaking/smearing and 18ms of input lag. The Crossover shows less ghosting than a few TN panels I have used like the Samsung S27a550h and HP 2509B.

Last edited:
Just finished gaming, my colour profile worked for L4D2, Bad Company 2 and Homefront. The input lag is low enough that I can comfortably game with Vsync @60hz after coming from a 120hz TN, except with Homefront and the triple buffering in L4D2. I can barely play on my 850D with Vsync off due to the input lag, so I pretty much never do. I'd say the Crossover is faster than the 850D. There is very minor streaking/smearing and overshoot/corona effect (shield/tail forming around moving objects) but it is minimal compared to the 850D which shows large overshoots depending on the colours when using the "Faster," overdrive setting. Using the lower "Normal," setting eliminates overshoot but there is streaking/smearing and 18ms of input lag. The Crossover shows less ghosting than a few TN panels I have used like the Samsung S27a550h and HP 2509B.

Thanks for the response regarding gaming. So you're saying that you experience ghosting in Homefront / L4D2 that is noticeably more pronounced than your 120hz TN?

Thanks for the response regarding gaming. So you're saying that you experience ghosting in Homefront / L4D2 that is noticeably more pronounced than your 120hz TN?

Even @60hz vs 60hz there is more ghosting on the fastest IPS panels, but properly over-driven TN panels are always faster so this is not surprising.

With that said the ghosting very, very minor on the Crossover, IMO most hardcore gamers would be 100% satisfied with the Crossovers pixel response times, even 120hz users wanting a 27" IPS should be happy.

Back