A Sneak Peek at AMD's First Fusion APU @ [H]

The higher ends would also majorly improve mainstream making them able to play starcraft 2 flawlessly and other games in that class.
Making a big leap without a die shrink! always welcome!

Laptops have been a big problem for pc gaming for a long time.

I will admit, I'm interested in Apple's take on this.

The Intel integrated systems (i3 in particular) are too crappy to run OSX well. No OpenCL support means the moment anything graphically intense pops up, the system would grind to a halt.

The lack of logic board space in a 11.6/13.3 MBA/13.3 MB/13.3 MBP are still using C2D processors. There literally isn't enough room on the logic board to fit an i3 and the dedicated separate graphics card that supports OpenCL.

With these, that is no longer a problem. I can only assume Apple and AMD are talking furiously at the moment about a system jump. These would make very nice MBA/MB/MBP processors as it stands now (and probably reduce the entire line to variations on MBA)

The higher power versions should work very well in higher end MBP's and iMac's as well (though who's to say at this point).

The hate for IGP is exactly because it is a business solution. If you are buying a laptop for business only then you want an IGP chipset for longer battery life and a stable, uniform platform.

It is not the best answer even for Mom or Dad (or my kids), because IGP falls down too easily when confronted by anything graphically intensive. Worse, it can make the whole system feel sluggish, and there is nothing worse for any user than an unresponsive computer.

This looks to be a great niche for AMD to develop. The net-book boom showed there is a market for low-cost, personal laptops, but they to be able to actually do something to really be sustainable.

i love the naming

the motherfuckin SCORPIUS of the BULLDOZER PLATFORM
jesus christ

hmm...

With AMD (and by extension ATI) backing heterogeneous computing, and with Nvidia on their own CUDA initiative (although officially supporting openCl), three of the big four tech firms now seem to solidly back this idea of general purpose computing on GPU-like devices.

What happens to Intel? They are by far the biggest of the tech companies. With as much effort as I can muster trying to not make this a spiteful sentence ($300 for an LGA 775 process years after obsolescence? No over-clocking on new CPUs? Anti-competitive practices world-wide? Killing DFI? gosh Intel aren't you just a prime example of a mature moral company): Maybe a coup? If Llano really was 3 years worth of engineering and Intel is just starting that engineering now, if this takes off AMD might have a solid grasp on that market for months or years.

Is it even possible for AMD to release an extension to x86 for the various compilers of the world to take advantage of the SIMD units in traditional programming? I mean, at the compiler level, in a traditionally for-loop, if you're doing parallel FP operations...
eg:
Code:
for i=0 through i=bigarray.end
       bigarray[i] += 3.1415f;
is it possible for the compiler to read-into that and say "ahah! parallel instructions!" and get that entire for-loop done in a couple clock cycles (or, more accurately, constant time) using some new instructions presented by AMD? I mean I guess anything is possible, but does anybody else think this is realistic? I mean comon, 2010 is the future right? We were supposed to have giga-quads by now!

I donno, change in wind, cool change, good stuff happening. My next build is a bulldozer, but this fusion stuff is making me jelous.

This is slightly tangential, but if these products take off (which I hope they do) bullet physics might be pretty nice. The processor could run all but rendering and let a discrete video card do that. It sounds pretty nice to me and could lead to wider spread GPU accelerated programs if these were ubiquitous.

edit:
And I would love this for a laptop, but I want something faster as well in the CPU department, one of the higher level ones in the slides.

Is it even possible for AMD to release an extension to x86 for the various compilers of the world to take advantage of the SIMD units in traditional programming? I mean, at the compiler level, in a traditionally for-loop, if you're doing parallel FP operations...
eg:
Code:
for i=0 through i=bigarray.end
       bigarray[i] += 3.1415f;
is it possible for the compiler to read-into that and say "ahah! parallel instructions!" and get that entire for-loop done in a couple clock cycles (or, more accurately, constant time) using some new instructions presented by AMD? I mean I guess anything is possible, but does anybody else think this is realistic? I mean comon, 2010 is the future right? We were supposed to have giga-quads by now!

It's called auto-vectorization and it's not only possible but already implemented in a number of compilers including GCC.

http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/tree-ssa/vectorization.html

How about "Ultimate Black Vision"? Would have to have nipples, and some other parts missing from notebooks, I would say... May as well call it "Hot Chocolate".

Bleh - Just stick with the "Fusion" name :)

Oh, and just maybe, time to pickup some AMD stock again! :D

Just what the hell is a Heterogeneous Core? I'm having trouble understanding wtf that is..

or is it the "fusion" idea, with a CPU/GPU combined into one? thus being hetero..

Oh, and just maybe, time to pickup some AMD stock again! :D

Not a bad idea. They seem to really have their stuff together, which is always a good sign before the launch of something potentially revolutionary in the consumer end of computing.

Also, if any of the rumors/speculation of talks with Apple hold any water what so ever, it'll definitely hike up quite a bit.

Since AMD trades pretty cheap right now, I just may pick some up.

top end core i5 iGP's barely beat zacate's iGP.
that says a lot for intel's iGP offerings.

reason why they badly need to settle with nV asap.
they need the IP to come up with something competitive.

until then, get used to hearing intel say "good enough" on GPU.
while selling you heaven and earth to buy an intel CPU.

Hey so what are the latest rumors or news about the Fusion APU schedule? Not these laptop/netbook APUs but what about the desktop-oriented APUs? When is the Llano scheduled to come out? I thought originally it was supposed to be spring 2011 but has the forecast been pushed back to past summer?

Not a bad idea. They seem to really have their stuff together, which is always a good sign before the launch of something potentially revolutionary in the consumer end of computing.

Also, if any of the rumors/speculation of talks with Apple hold any water what so ever, it'll definitely hike up quite a bit.

Since AMD trades pretty cheap right now, I just may pick some up.

Not to mention there are rumors of a buyout.

thanks kyle.

I have been watching closely the road-map of Amd. Fusion is going to be some great stuff. We are talking about tablet pcs able to pump out 1080p video. 18 watt draw on power, means 10+ hours of battery life.

The next xbox has already been rumored to use this new APU Tech. Tablets and netbooks are going to use it. These markets are growing fast, and if Amd gets foot in the door first, your definitely going to see a good stock hike.

I am waiting for this Tech to hit the shelves, I need a new laptop / net-book and this is going to me the solution which will fit the bill for me.

Fusion could really make a huge leap with Intel's SB chips struggling with defects. I would love to see a review of a quad-core Fusion!

Hey guys, Fusion APUs have just come out. Any [H] review scheduled??

How can something be released and not be available for purchasing?

I've been looking for days about any information to buying these things since they've been "released".

Haven't found anything in multiple countries..

be nice for an htpc rig

I agree, I want this bad boy to power a nice quiet bedroom htpc

How can something be released and not be available for purchasing?

I've been looking for days about any information to buying these things since they've been "released".

Haven't found anything in multiple countries..

I agree, I want this bad boy to power a nice quiet bedroom htpc

are you serious? really?

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-AO522-BZ...LTB6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296970103&sr=8-1

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/series/category/notebooks/dm1z_series/3/computer_store

I normally hate HP but they were the first one out. I ordered mine last week. It's still being built but I should have it soon.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Excuse me, I meant to buy the processor/mobo combo's that are coming out here soon, didn't mean the laptops.

Like the MSI E350IA-E45 and the Asus board.

Which is a pre-order with no release date.

But it's been "released".

Thanks for the link though, good to see that retailers are starting to offer them on their sites. Sign of some sort of hope.

110 bucks for a processor/APU and motherboard ya can't really beat that. so I'm guessing gigabyte, asus, and sapphire will be right around 125-130 bucks.

I just got mine up and running. I was tired of waiting so bought the gigabyte one. So far I am very pleased. its definitely better then my atom system. When 3+ terabyte drives become cheap this will definately be a contender to replace my NAS.

How is it with decoding 1080p (true 24p I hope?) movies?

I want one so bad, can have a full set up for 300 bucks! That's amazing!

Back