42" OLED MASTER THREAD

Looks like you are right, they just made it so that you have to take extra steps to get there:

Still, the C3 basically offers nothing over a C2 for PC users, and we can probably assume exactly the same with the C4.

I believe the what will be new with the C4 depends on the competition when it is launched. For a long time LG was the only OLED show in town and basically competed only with themselves and didn't really have a reasons to improve to quickly. AFAIK, they are still the only ones making 16:9 OLEDs in small sizes.

Personally I think its too soon to predict what the C4 in 2024 will be like. I'll assume it won't be less than the C2 but one never knows. See what they say beginning of next year.

Personally I think its too soon to predict what the C4 in 2024 will be like. I'll assume it won't be less than the C2 but one never knows. See what they say beginning of next year.
We are just starved for any real advancement in these smaller sizes. The C-series has been pretty much the same for years now.

We are just starved for any real advancement in these smaller sizes. The C-series has been pretty much the same for years now.

Totally und absolutely right mate 👍

I’m praying for MLA in the 42C4 every night now to Zeus and Shiva, hopefully it helps 🙏

Cannot get a signal when deep color HDMI 4K enabled which shows up everywhere.
Difference here is the setup is using a Dell XPS 2in1 13" laptop (Intel 11th gen i7) hitched to a Corsair Thunderbolt 4 dock.
Should this support 4K120 out of the box?
I've read that an USB type C to HDMI 2.1 cable with updated firmware will.
Why do they NOT put DP inputs (at least ONE) on these TVs? The are capable of decent display output.
Although a white background definitely has a shift to pink from center (view angle dependent).

Because it’s a TV, not a monitor.
Yes but a lot of folks could be using them as monitors with similar quality as a monitor, aka 444.
Not everyone wants "gaming" stuff or the price. $800 for the set is a killer deal and the Asus equivalent still has the OLED uniformity issues.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The only thing that sucks is Linux does not support HDMI 2.1 nor HDR. Otherwise, I have enjoyed this screen very much.

Edit: In Windows 11, I use it in Windows 11. :)

Last edited:
The only thing that sucks is Linux does not support HDMI 2.1 nor HDR. Otherwise, I have enjoyed this screen very much.

Edit: In Windows 11, I use it in Windows 11. :)
Nvidia's proprietary drivers support HDMI 2.1 on Linux. Earlier this year there was mention of AMD working on it as well.

As for HDR, it looks like Valve is making a lot of headway there. They seemingly enabled it for SteamOS 3.5 just recently. I have yet to try it though.

fyi. an authorized seller on ebay selling 42" C3's new at $896.99 w/ 20% off ebay promotion cuts it down to $717. It was 802.80 w/ tax. Was going to pick one up from BB but it ended up $985ish.

edit: nvm. sold out.
what is this ebay promotion ???

nvm found it!

I bought one of these from Newegg last night

KTC G42P5 $799 + $100 Newegg gift card emailed after purchase
https://www.newegg.com/p/15Z-0867-00001?Item=9SIBK6TK6E4519

+ 4% cashback with microsoft/bing rewards and 1% with retailmenot

The 11% zip pay promo might work, as well. I can't get them to approve me for the service :(
*the code does apply in the cart. Another $88 off. zip111

I considered the LG C3 TV. But they seem to have a common problem with flickering with VRR.

Last edited:
I picked up an LG OLED42C3PUA 42" Oct 13th from Microcenter. 4 hdmi inputs.

Plugged in a Ryzen 7 5700G pc and an HP Z-book. Looks ok to my blind eyes. I was surprised I couldn't do 2 cables per pc and have a top plus bottom array of two double wides. Instead I toggle between hdmi 1 and 3 to view each computer as single screen at 4k.

Has anybody here put their 42" screen on a monitor arm? What did you use?

Pixio's individual arms can handle it. They hold up to 39 pounds. Up to 49 inch display.

I've had one new in a box, for awhile. They were something like 50% off, like a year ago.

Can you mount a 48in C2 on a monitor arm? Would the weight be too much?

If you don't need the more extreme articulation of the arm, some people use a thin spine, floor footed or caster wheeled TV stand. The better ones have some tilt, some probably have rotation but you can rotate one just using the base to swivel. (The pro monoprice one has a crank arm at the base where you can change the height and can rotate into portrait mode even).

I also heard someone mounted an arm to a separate stand in one of the threads here which would allow more distance as an option while still having it on an articulating arm. I've done similar but with a narrow depth desk against a wall for my screens and arms, using a separate island desk with my peripherals butted up against it.

Any methods like those (or a wall mount) to decouple the screen from your desk, if you are able and willing to increase the distance between you and the screen some, can give you a more optimal viewing angle on gaming tvs that is within your human central/binocular 60 to 50 degrees (less off-axis pixels = less distortion/non-uniformity toward the ends of the screen, also suffer less eye bending/neck bending viewing portions of the screen outside of your binocular view esp. in dynamic media and games). It also keeps the pixels per degree, the perceived pixel sizes higher like you'd expect from 4k rather than what you'd get from a desktop sized screen on a desk at ~1400 - 1500p which is what you end up seeing when sitting nearer.

This guy in the video used a stand that needs to be butted up against a wall but there are plenty of stands that are free standing that would allow the distance for a similar end result.
He ended up viewing ~ 38 inches away from his 42" OLED screen(51 deg, 76 PPD). I prefer around 60 to 55 deg but a good baseline is:

60 PPD, 64 deg viewing angle which on a 42" 4k starts at 29 inch view distance, screen surface to eyeballs. (up to 77PPD, 50 deg at 39 inch distance)
60PPD, 64 deg viewing angle which on a 48" 4k starts at 36 inch view distance. (up to 77 PPD, 50 deg at 45" distance)

desk_tv.stand.42inchOled.YTvidcap_A.png

desk_tv.stand.42inchOled.YTvidcap_B.png

Can you mount a 48in C2 on a monitor arm? Would the weight be too much?
Yes you can, but you will need a 300x300 -> 100x100 adapter plate (check Amazon, the one that looks sort of like an owl mask works well) and a fairly heavy duty arm. I had one on a Multibrackets VESA Gas Arm HD which is rated for 21 kg but doesn't have a very strong tilt joint and I needed to crank the tilt to absolute max to keep the LG CX 48" in place. Setting it up right was a two person job.

The big issue with this was that you need a very deep desk to make it practical for viewing distance. Ultimately I swapped it for a floor stand on wheels which I can put behind the table and instead move the table back a bit. This gave me a much better viewing distance.

Reactions: elvn
like this
Yes you can, but you will need a 300x300 -> 100x100 adapter plate (check Amazon, the one that looks sort of like an owl mask works well) and a fairly heavy duty arm. I had one on a Multibrackets VESA Gas Arm HD which is rated for 21 kg but doesn't have a very strong tilt joint and I needed to crank the tilt to absolute max to keep the LG CX 48" in place. Setting it up right was a two person job.

The big issue with this was that you need a very deep desk to make it practical for viewing distance. Ultimately I swapped it for a floor stand on wheels which I can put behind the table and instead move the table back a bit. This gave me a much better viewing distance.
I hear you puddin head. Any good floor stands for the LG C2 48in?

I hear you puddin head. Any good floor stands for the LG C2 48in?
I'd look at what Amazon offers. I can't remember what the one I got was but it was rated for about 50" TVs and is capable of being put quite close to a wall.

like this
Any good floor stands for the LG C2 48in?

Here is one to consider. On sale atm, lowest I've ever seen it sold. The product page images look bulky but if you omit installing the top telescoping tray beam and the middle tray like in the owner's image below, it would just be a single rail behind the tv plus the base hardware.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Premium-Mobile-Mount-Bracket/dp/B079VWVVHL/

The big features on this monoprice stand are that you can adjust the height with a hand crank on the base rather than un-mounting the screen and re-racking it/hanging it higher or lower on the stand, and that it has the ability to rotate all the way to portrait mode if you ever want to do that.

Not the best setup example here layout wise imo with the window facing the face of the screen polluting it but gives an idea of what the stand can do at a desk.
C78CF352B89553CA5DBBA11FE.app1_1642187345745_L1800.jpg

Shot showing that it can be rotated into portrait mode (pinball game example) :

E163916B7483EC9EEBD188D.app1_1662049875027-1_L1800.jpg

Here is a screen capture of the AVF stand from the youtube vid which is very space saving but requires that the stand be butted up against a wall, and it has fewer functions:

I mounted a 42" LG C2 on a TV stand at my desk. Why?? (Youtube Video Link)

desk_tv.stand.42inchOled.YTvidcap_D.png

https://www.amazon.com/AVF-FL601LT-T-Against-Standing-Weight/dp/B07TTTJM9R

. . . . . . . . . .

There is a large variety of stands out there, some better than others, some with more features than others, and price can vary a lot. For reference, that monoprice stand would end up 9.5 inches - 10 inches away from a wall due to the back of the foot. However there are lots of options with other stand designs. Some need to be against a wall like the one in that youtube video I referenced which makes for a very small foot and almost zero gap needed from the wall itself with a sleek design but most of the stands available are free-standing capable. Some have a much smaller area foot than the monoprice one so the foot tends to be heavier.

Things I'd look out for is the degrees of tilt downward/upward for fine-tuning (though you can DIY hack some models with spacers to find a sweet spot as a work-around), some rotation capability vertically to fine tune how level it looks to you on the fly could be useful too (though you can DiY spacers ~ small shim/wedge to lift to find a sweet spot with that too if you had to on some models). Also research the max height the mount can rise to vs the dimensions of your screen from it's center mount (don't get a stand that is too short, or one that can't lower far enough for your liking vs the height of your desk perceptually at distance).

. . . . . . . . . .

It seems to me that most stock caster wheels on stands, desks, and even up to high end chairs are not that great of wheels so if you want to use a caster wheels model with the wheels on you might consider swapping out for better wheels. I swapped out the wheels on my desk and chair to wheels that are more like rollerblade wheels but larger diameter.

Someone in the monoprice reviews swapped to these from home depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-in-Industrial-Casters-with-Bumper-4-Pack-30260PS-2/203846483

BAC21B5945B25D68BBB659944.app1_1673979111699_PZ320.jpg

I'm pretty sure these would fit too since they are 3/8 - 16, at least on that monoprice stand. You'd have to check other caster wheel stand's wheel types in Q&A, reviews.
https://www.amazon.com/Hirate-Wheel-Threaded-Lockable-Furniture/dp/B091C98S6P

61opMZpg5zL._SL1001_.jpg

51iE4-5faSL._SL1001_.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of these from Newegg last night

KTC G42P5 $799 + $100 Newegg gift card emailed after purchase
https://www.newegg.com/p/15Z-0867-00001?Item=9SIBK6TK6E4519

+ 4% cashback with microsoft/bing rewards and 1% with retailmenot

The 11% zip pay promo might work, as well. I can't get them to approve me for the service :(
*the code does apply in the cart. Another $88 off. zip111

I considered the LG C3 TV. But they seem to have a common problem with flickering with VRR.
They both use the same panel. This one is just overdriven to get 138 Hz refresh rate. There was a firmware update on the C3 that fixed the VRR flickering. I got my C3 on day one and it was really bad before the firmware update.
RIP to anyone who actually believed 240Hz was coming in 2024
If you mean on just LG televisions. We already have OLED monitors that reach 240 Hz on the market.
Never coming unless it's using DFR 1080p@240hz.
Both HDMI 2.1 and DisplayPort 2.1 support 4K 10-bit @ 240 Hz while using DSC.

like this
They both use the same panel. This one is just overdriven to get 138 Hz refresh rate. There was a firmware update on the C3 that fixed the VRR flickering. I got my C3 on day one and it was really bad before the firmware update.

If you mean on just LG televisions. We already have OLED monitors that reach 240 Hz on the market.

Yes the TVs. Some people thought the C4 was going to be 240Hz when there was zero evidence of it.

That looks good but, do you know of any floor ones that can be tilted forward and back?

Do you mean nearer and farther or do you mean tilt downward and upward like nodding/sniffing?

Tv Stand on good caster wheels rolls forward and back easily, at least up to against the desk (idk why you'd need that close let alone closer with a gaming tv size), and stands can rotate on their base easily too. Some desks even have caster wheels, or slide easily otherwise.

Some stands have tilt but some are downward only and many have no tilt at all. The one that rests against a wall in that youtube vid had a lot of tilt which he showed in the vid for when he changed the height of his standing desk for example but other stands can do that too.

Have to look over features and reviews to know what each stand is capable of, especially mounted height ranges and tilt degrees. Vertical rotation/spin (like to portrait) is also nice for fine tuning/leveling though there are diy ways to adjust the level on a less articulating stand by using a shim, spacers if it was necessary.

Why would LG implement 240hz when it's useless outside PC gaming? The reason these newer OLEDs do 4k@120hz is mainly for 2 reasons: Allowing proper frame pacing of 24fps/30fps movie content; and consoles that support 120hz.
Even if 4k@240hz is possible with DSC, you need better and faster components to not have banding issues. This means increased costs for a feature that is ultimately meaningless for the market this TV is primarily designed for.

Why would LG implement 240hz when it's useless outside PC gaming? The reason these newer OLEDs do 4k@120hz is mainly for 2 reasons: Allowing proper frame pacing of 24fps/30fps movie content; and consoles that support 120hz.
Even if 4k@240hz is possible with DSC, you need better and faster components to not have banding issues. This means increased costs for a feature that is ultimately meaningless for the market this TV is primarily designed for.

Well why would they bother with 144Hz for the C4 then? That's just as useless outside of PC gaming.

Back