42" OLED MASTER THREAD

How likely do you guys think there will be an issue within 5 years (burn in or dead pixels developing)? I got my LG C2 42in from amazon for use as desktop monitor but I don't do any work on it so not a lot of hours (I have under 20 hours after almost 2 week of use). I am considering returning and waiting for $799 sale from best buy to get with warranty but not sure if it will happen by the time my return window ends or anytime soon as stock dries up. Will probably have to wait until Black Friday or December for C3 sales. Didn't realize about best buy's geek squad warranty until after I bought the TV unfortunately but also it gets pretty expensive with the warranty.

It's better to just use hours for our metrics as 5 years could be vastly different for someone who used their display 4 hours a day vs someone who uses it 14 hours a day. RTings is currently at 3600 hours for their updated burn in test and currently the C2 has shown no signs of burn in while the Samsung S95B is. So if we calculate that for you, 10 hours of use a week X 52 weeks = 520 hours per year X 5 years = 2600 hours so you will most likely be fine as long as you vary your content a bit.

It's better to just use hours for our metrics as 5 years could be vastly different for someone who used their display 4 hours a day vs someone who uses it 14 hours a day. RTings is currently at 3600 hours for their updated burn in test and currently the C2 has shown no signs of burn in while the Samsung S95B is. So if we calculate that for you, 10 hours of use a week X 52 weeks = 520 hours per year X 5 years = 2600 hours so you will most likely be fine as long as you vary your content a bit.
Actually closer to 30 hours. Even being conservative that is around 5000 hours after 5 years so probably won't have burn in but did the C2 fix the issues with dead pixels developing near the sides of the TV? I think I am more worried about the dead pixels developing over time than the burn in to be honest. I am doing everything possible to prevent burn in while in desktop use (keeping brightness low, all the anti burn in features turned on max, black background, no icons, etc) but only turn things to max while gaming.

Actually closer to 30 hours. Even being conservative that is around 5000 hours after 5 years so probably won't have burn in but did the C2 fix the issues with dead pixels developing near the sides of the TV? I think I am more worried about the dead pixels developing over time than the burn in to be honest. I am doing everything possible to prevent burn in while in desktop use (keeping brightness low, all the anti burn in features turned on max, black background, no icons, etc) but only turn things to max while gaming.

Not sure. I don't have a C2 or know anybody with one so maybe an owner here can chime in. My CX has like 50 dead pixels around the sides now lol not even exagerating.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Ouch really? I'm at 13k hours and have one single dead pixel on my CX (on the very edge and in a corner so really unnoticeable in practice)

I was sort of doing all that but, I decided to skip it and go for broke. However, I am only on my computer an average of 2.5 hours a day, over a 7 day period, anyways.

I think LG has done a great job with burn-in mitigation. I use a black background and do not have icons/hide taskbar. I use the monitor for work 6-8 hours M-F for work and try to get in an hour or 2 of games. I am at about 1600 hours and see no issues so far. I turned off ABL but leaf all the other mitigation tech on.

Check out this thread on Reddit where a guy bought a display model that was of course set to Store Mode and ran all day:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED_Gaming/comments/14c4cuh/incredible_deal_for_a_lg_c2_42/

Pretty amazing if you ask me.

Ouch really? I'm at 13k hours and have one single dead pixel on my CX (on the very edge and in a corner so really unnoticeable in practice)

Panel lottery I suppose. I know 3 other people who have a CX and 2 of them also have a bunch of dead pixels while 1 does not, or maybe he does and just doesn't notice it. I don't notice it in real content from my sitting distance so it's not a big deal.

My CX has like 50 dead pixels around the sides now lol not even exagerating.
Many people always brought up Burn-In as #1 OLED's con not to buy without paying attention to the other lethal one, Dead Pixels/Screen Degradation. Mine has around 70-80 dead ones, still no sign of burn-in so far.

Many people always brought up Burn-In as #1 OLED's con not to buy without paying attention to the other lethal one, Dead Pixels/Screen Degradation. Mine has around 70-80 dead ones, still no sign of burn-in so far.

Yes dead pixels seems to be a much bigger problem than burn in, at least when it comes to the CX...maybe the C1 and up have already fixed this problem. Even this youtuber has tons and tons of dead pixels along the edges. Anyone with a CX who still doesn't have a ton of dead pixels by now either just don't notice it or have gotten very lucky with panel lottery. Like I said though I cannot actually see the dead pixels in real content from my viewing distance so it's not really a big deal.

1687544987562.png

Yes dead pixels seems to be a much bigger problem than burn in, at least when it comes to the CX...maybe the C1 and up have already fixed this problem. Even this youtuber has tons and tons of dead pixels along the edges. Anyone with a CX who still doesn't have a ton of dead pixels by now either just don't notice it or have gotten very lucky with panel lottery. Like I said though I cannot actually see the dead pixels in real content from my viewing distance so it's not really a big deal.

View attachment 578826
I tried Dark Mode, Hiding Taskbar, and other typical methods, turns out Burn-In preventions can't be used interchangeably for Screen Degradation. Dead Pixels still growing as time progresses on, it's just the nature of panel tech with its organic substances.

Over here, CX 48" still going strong after 3 years of ownership and 2 years of heavy desktop use. No dead pixels, no burn-in.

Reactions: Xar
like this
Over here, CX 48" still going strong after 3 years of ownership and 2 years of heavy desktop use. No dead pixels, no burn-in.

Then congrats you won the panel lottery! Obviously not ALL of the CX's out there are going to develop a ton of dead pixels, but a good amount of them sure seem to do.

Panel lottery is getting a bad panel actually. And because most complaints are from people who had issues, it's biased compared to those who had not.

Panel lottery is getting a bad panel actually. And because most complaints are from people who had issues, it's biased compared to those who had not.

Not even complaining since as I mentioned before I cannot even spot the dead pixels from my viewing distance, just stating what I've experienced since I was asked about dead pixels regarding the C2. And since other people have experienced it too and it was brought up as a topic of issue in other threads I would believe that the problem can be somewhat common. But otherwise the CX has been a pretty good display throughout the time that I was using it as my primary monitor so even if it were to just die right now I wouldn't care.

It's a shame the CX is the only OLED that has a flawless BFI implementation, the following models look worse in motion because LG started to prioritize brightness (brighter BFI = more persistence blur = less effective). I can see this specific model being very sought after for that alone, unless LG does something on the 2024 models.

It's a shame the CX is the only OLED that has a flawless BFI implementation, the following models look worse in motion because LG started to prioritize brightness (brighter BFI = more persistence blur = less effective). I can see this specific model being very sought after for that alone, unless LG does something on the 2024 models.

It's far from flawless considering BFI has higher input lag and honestly the highest setting is unusable because it gets so dark.

I think you overestimate how interested people are in BFI.

It's far from flawless considering BFI has higher input lag and honestly the highest setting is unusable because it gets so dark.

BFI has it's uses, otherwise BenQ wouldn't bother with DyAc+ and Nvidia would have never bothered with ULMB2. So to say people aren't interested in BFI I'm gonna have to disagree with you if even nvidia is willing to improve upon the tech. It's just that the people who are interested in BFI wouldn't be looking to use a 4K TV in the first place.

The CX is one of the best implementations because it works as low as 60hz and gives you the option for low/medium/high settings in case the brightness penalty is too great. Also, because there's no backlight you get no strobing crosstalk, something even the best and most modern applications, like ULMB 2.0 and BenQ's DyAc+, struggle with.

It may be true most people dont care about BFI, but I dont agree with LG cutting down on features (no 120hz BFI on 2022/2023 models) and giving us less options.

but I dont agree with LG cutting down on features (no 120hz BFI on 2022/2023 models) and giving us less options.
Now on that we are on the same page. The progress should be up and forward instead of dropping usable features. I hope by the time they make these 240 Hz they bring back BFI at 120+ Hz, preferably without the input lag.

To be clear, I'm not in any way against BFI. Things like ULMB2 are important advances. It's just not a feature that does a lot for me considering most newer games I play support HDR and BFI pretty much ruins it.

I doubt Windows 7 fully supports HDMI 2.1
https://www.lg.com/ca_en/tvs/lg-oled48c2pua

it doesn't say what HDMI it requires.

however, over here,

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/geforce-471-96-whql-driver-download.html

471.96 support all the RTX30XX series. And RTX30XX series should c/w HDMI 2.1, would that work?

P.S if you don't play video game, and only use the screen for XLS spreadsheet and Word Perfect document along w/ web browsing, why would you need HDMI 2.1 to begin w/

Last edited:
for gaming, presumably the latest games, not some old PC games that can run on older PC, HDMI 2.1 would be a benefit. Definitely. But say I just want to play an old game like R-type. Then surely , we don't gain anything at 4K x 120Hz?

I just don't know that I would pay the premium for the OLED if I was not getting the most out of it. But many people use them for consoles alone which are locked at 30-60fps and still love it. I love playing older games on the C2, brings them to life.

Ehh, these OLEDs are better paired with a good PC that can advantage of the resolution/performance. You'll want at least a RTX 3080 because of HDMI 2.1 and Integer Scaling support, so older lower resolution games dont look like blurry garbage and you dont need to worry about widescreen patches. Also, Windows 7 doesnt even support G-Sync Compatible displays, so I dont even know what's the point of using a high performance display/hardware on legacy software, that's just incredibly silly lol

Yes but, without HDMI 2.1, there will be no.4k/120 VRR 4:4:4 Chroma support. The reason consoles work so well is because they fully support all of that and HDR10 as well.

Ehh, these OLEDs are better paired with a good PC that can advantage of the resolution/performance. You'll want at least a RTX 3080 because of HDMI 2.1 and Integer Scaling support, so older lower resolution games dont look like blurry garbage and you dont need to worry about widescreen patches. Also, Windows 7 doesnt even support G-Sync Compatible displays, so I dont even know what's the point of using a high performance display/hardware on legacy software, that's just incredibly silly lol
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-gsync-monitor-glossary-definition-explained,6008.html

but windows 7 DOES support G-sync compatible display as per what Nvidia said

Yes but, without HDMI 2.1, there will be no.4k/120 VRR 4:4:4 Chroma support. The reason consoles work so well is because they fully support all of that and HDR10 as well.
but forgot 120Hz for a moment, I can still get chroma 4:4:4 at 60Hz, true?

2080Ti should do 4K 4:4:4 at 60Hz no problem. I ran a 1080Ti on a Samsung 4K 4:4:4 60Hz, of course that was the limit of the screen

true. Absolutely.
Only monitors with the G-Sync module work on Windows 7. What are you still doing in W7 anyways? Not even Steam will support it anymore lol

look, these are the kind of games I am very happy with. And as you can see, all you need is any CPU, 4 GB of RAm, any integrated video card, and windows 7

true. Absolutely.

look, these are the kind of games I am very happy with. And as you can see, all you need is any CPU, 4 GB of RAm, any integrated video card, and windows 7

Steam won't work on Win7. That's in addition to the million and one reasons you shouldn't be running it.

but doesn't that steam link shows they support windows 7 for all those old games? Here's another one

why would they write off all those customers? anyhoo, I just load up my steam (see attach). If they don't support win 7, shouldn't I at least get an error mesg.?

Attachments

• scan.JPG
    scan.JPG
    367.5 KB · Views: 0
why would they write off all those customers? anyhoo, I just load up my steam (see attach). If they don't support win 7, shouldn't I at least get an error mesg.?
They're dropping support Jan 1st, 2024 for Win7, win8, and 8.1: https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/4784-4F2B-1321-800A

Win7 accounts for virtually no one in market share now as it is obsolete, insecure, and lacks heaps of modern features. Migrate to windows 10 or 11, your old Win7 key works on them for free.

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
hey thank you. I was thinking of upgrade to a faster CPU on my old motherboard, but they charge $400 for that older CPU i7. Now I can get a newer motherboard w/ faster CPU at DDR5.

Back