4090s will be in short supply for the next 2 years

Yes, but you still need to worry about service and support and RMA...etc. I don't know how good PNY is with that.

My local MicroCenter has a TON of 4090's in stock still from what I can tell... and still at reasonable (MSRP~ish) pricing.

My local MicroCenter has a TON of 4090's in stock still from what I can tell... and still at reasonable (MSRP~ish) pricing.
I wish I'm near a microcenter! What manufacturers? ASUS, Gigabyte? Isn't it weird to find it near retail price in microcenter and almost double the price in some online stores like newegg?

I wish I'm near a microcenter! What manufacturers? ASUS, Gigabyte? Isn't it weird to find it near retail price in microcenter and almost double the price in some online stores like newegg?
He was wrong. All I seen at the MC I checked were $1800 PNY 4090.

Yeah, I goofed and had all stores selected. But generally, MicroCenter does not ride the wave of high prices, likely because unless an item is in massive supply, they do not ship, so you have to physically go into the store. Which because I am 20 minutes from one, I absolutely love.

Guess I will have to wait till prices go down for some reason, or maybe buy a used one from a good source. I just can't pay a price much higher than retail.

It's not just 4090s that are overpriced. ALL GPUs are. The days of $699 for a flagship and $1200 for extra (Titan?) are long a thing of the past. Even then it was a tough pill to swallow. Today its like sitting on razor blades. If everyone just shrugged their shoulders, walking by them on shelves and kept their wallets in their pockets things would change.

It's not just 4090s that are overpriced. ALL GPUs are. The days of $699 for a flagship and $1200 for extra (Titan?) are long a thing of the past. Even then it was a tough pill to swallow. Today its like sitting on razor blades. If everyone just shrugged their shoulders, walking by them on shelves and kept their wallets in their pockets things would change.
Yeah, AMD and NV can sell flagship GPU's for $699 all day and make plenty of margin to keep R&D going. Greedy bastards.

Yeah, AMD and NV can sell flagship GPU's for $699 all day and make plenty of margin to keep R&D going. Greedy bastards.
Hard to really know but was there not some talk that some of the fancier 4090 models can go as high as $800 to make ? And I imagine hard to go under $550 at the vram price they got initially, regular GDDR6 was extremelly costly around 2020-2021 I think, 13-16 GB at digikey back then, say a bulk deal for less than half the lowest price, NVIDIA able to get x version for not that much more, that $150 for 24 GB. The die alone at the size was probably around $250 at first.

That $400 before the quite fancy motherboard GPU like that require now, the 600W power delivery and the $100+ able to cool 600W comfortably solution on them, AIB margin, reseller margin, labor, shipping, amortizing giant R&D and cannot go under 25% profit... If it $575 in raw, $25 in labour-shipping, 12% in AIB margin, %10 in reseller margin, %15 in R&D amortization, %25 in minimum profit, $1062 was probably the realistic minimum for the cheapest one (i.e. a bit more than 7900xtx pricing).

They could have made them cheaper if they knew&decided that 450 watt would be enough too.

Yes, but:

1) The market told them they're willing to pay $1600 for it, and line up on opening day for the privilege, so why would they?

2) They could also not produce them and redirect silicon to the AI market, where demand is insatiable and customers are willing to pay a lot more.

I really don't fault Nvidia and AMD for selling product at prices the market is telling them are perfectly fine. The day gamers bought Titans for $1000 for E-peen instead of a marginally slower $600 80-series card was the beginning of the end.

Yes, but:

1) The market told them they're willing to pay $1600 for it, and line up on opening day for the privilege, so why would they?

2) They could also not produce them and redirect silicon to the AI market, where demand is insatiable and customers are willing to pay a lot more.

I really don't fault Nvidia and AMD for selling product at prices the market is telling them are perfectly fine. The day gamers bought Titans for $1000 for E-peen instead of a marginally slower $600 80-series card was the beginning of the end.
I was being sarcastic. Neither company would make sufficient margin on their flagship cards at $699 these days to push their R&D forward.

I was being sarcastic. Neither company would make sufficient margin on their flagship cards at $699 these days to push their R&D forward.
Ah, touche.

For what it's worth, they do have pretty healthy margins (Nvidia's net margin is reported as 42%). IDK what the break even point is, but they're well above that. As far as I'm concerned, for all the complaining we do about it, if everyone still buys it, I don't blame them, which is all I'm saying.

I don't think prices on 4090 going down any time soon. Might as well wait for the super or 5090.
Lately, the market has shown that you are better off buying the halo cards when they are first released, so that you get your money's worth out of them. Think of the difference between buying the 4090 at MSRP when they launched vs. now. That said, there was a good argument for buying AMD 6950XTs right when the 7000 cards came out and they were nicely discounted. They were AMDs top end, but not in the same realm as the 4090.

Lately, the market has shown that you are better off buying the halo cards when they are first released, so that you get your money's worth out of them. Think of the difference between buying the 4090 at MSRP when they launched vs. now. That said, there was a good argument for buying AMD 6950XTs right when the 7000 cards came out and they were nicely discounted. They were AMDs top end, but not in the same realm as the 4090.

Agree. Maybe I have a bad memory but I feel flagship cards remain flagship cards longer than in years past. If we are to believe rumors of no 4090 successor until 2025 that’s a longer run at the top than I can remember. So while they cost a shit ton more than generations past, seems that money goes a bit further too so not nearly as egregious as it looks.

Nice! But that begs the question of why is it with this price in A and not in B? Everybody will buy from A.

Well the card I linked to is no longer available so they're still selling out pretty quickly when available at MSRP. The point is the 4090 can be had if you don't want to be scalped. Just have to check places like Best Buy who don't mark up. I remember I used to really dislike Best Buy, but they turned things around with customer service. No ask returns, instant price matching service, physical locations. As the only brick and mortar store near me that even somewhat resembles a Micro Center, I want to see them stay in business a while longer. Do them a solid by linking to their site. (I snagged a Founders from them soon after release last year, it was a miracle!)

Not only that, but Nvidia will no longer release a card that gives you nearly all of the performance at a fraction of the price like they initially did when the Titan cards existed. For the first few generations of Titan GPUs it was worth it to just wait for the 80 class card to come out months later because they offered you 90% of the performance for like 60% of the price such as the GTX 780 and 980 Ti. Nowadays though there is no other GPU that will come close to 4090 performance while costing almost half from team green. The 4090 is like a Titan without any cheaper alternative so you might as well just get it and enjoy it knowing that you will have the best of the best and no cheaper alternative is coming.

Not only that, but Nvidia will no longer release a card that gives you nearly all of the performance at a fraction of the price like they initially did when the Titan cards existed. For the first few generations of Titan GPUs it was worth it to just wait for the 80 class card to come out months later because they offered you 90% of the performance for like 60% of the price such as the GTX 780 and 980 Ti. Nowadays though there is no other GPU that will come close to 4090 performance while costing almost half from team green. The 4090 is like a Titan without any cheaper alternative so you might as well just get it and enjoy it knowing that you will have the best of the best and no cheaper alternative is coming.
Nvidia will never make another "mistake" like they did with the 1080Ti.

My local MC got the Gigabyte and Asus in stock... Looks like who really wanted one already got one.

I tried from the very first day that they release them and could find one anywhere! Price kept climbing so I settled for the RTX 4080 FE. I see they mention the RTX 5000 around the end of 2024. I will try then but don't see how when the company it self doesn't release enough. And retailers price scalping them.

I've had mine since November....of LAST year. If anyone has been trying to get a 4090 and still hasn't gotten one by now then they are clearly doing something wrong.

I tried from the very first day that they release them and could find one anywhere! Price kept climbing so I settled for the RTX 4080 FE. I see they mention the RTX 5000 around the end of 2024. I will try then but don't see how when the company it self doesn't release enough. And retailers price scalping them.
While there were periods of scarcity, unless you were hell bent on getting a Founders Edition, 4090s were absolutely not that hard to find with minimal patience and shopping.

What happened to websites like pricewatch.com and pricegrabber.com anyways??? They were really good to find the item you want for the best price at the moment you are searching. They no longer work now. I wonder if we have a good alternative nowadays.

Last edited:
Pcpartpicker might have tracking, but I've never used it. I just keep track of deals on hot deal sites and wait for good ones.

I was surprised to see multiple 4090's in stock at my local (NYC) Micro Center...the better models too- Asus Strix and TUF models

Back