4090s will be in short supply for the next 2 years

I'm not sure if any other threads around here have discussed this...

Really doubt it given the recent ban on supplying China with the high-end parts.

Only until next month. People discovered if you buy 4090s and ship them *into China* you can make $1K+ per card because of the impending sanctions so they bought up all of the 4090s in stock right now. There's a little bit of supply chain awkwardness because Nvidia can no longer build boards in the mainland - my guess is that the 4080 Super will effectively replace the 4090, which was priced too high for the general market anyway. If the rumors are shaping up right it will be a 4090 with a 320-bit bus and 20GB of memory at 4080 prices, which is really what you want for gaming anyway.

Only until next month. People discovered if you buy 4090s and ship them *into China* you can make $1K+ per card because of the impending sanctions so they bought up all of the 4090s in stock right now.

That is stupid.

The selling the cards for much more than they are originally for.

So does this mean higher prices for the 4090? I'm already seeing price increases up to 100-200 more. Glad I bought mine 2 months ago and with crypto bouncing back I fear more price increases will continue in the near future.

4090 cards will be in short supply and see price increases. Already my local microcenters have way less 4090 stock then previously, and a few have gone up in price by 200 dollars.

This is just a sh*tty marketing ploy to make everyone who bought one feel good about spending $1800 on a goddamn graphics card.
I agree, but unlike most, this marketing ploy actually results in lack of availability. It isn't just perception. Which does make me glad I already have one. In fact, I've recently brought my backup system with a 2080Ti and i7 9700k back to active duty for games that don't really *need* a 4090 just to keep the hours down on it. It's been ages since I've had a GPU fail but with next gen still being 1+ years out and even then, who knows what availability will be like, I want to be sure the "big guy" isn't out of commission when I fire up a game that could really benefit from it. Heck, with some of the games coming down the line, it won't be long before it's a minimum requirement.

I agree, but unlike most, this marketing ploy actually results in lack of availability. It isn't just perception. Which does make me glad I already have one. In fact, I've recently brought my backup system with a 2080Ti and i7 9700k back to active duty for games that don't really *need* a 4090 just to keep the hours down on it. It's been ages since I've had a GPU fail but with next gen still being 1+ years out and even then, who knows what availability will be like, I want to be sure the "big guy" isn't out of commission when I fire up a game that could really benefit from it. Heck, with some of the games coming down the line, it won't be long before it's a minimum requirement.
That's kind of ridiculous. The manufacturers keep stock in reserve if you need to RMA it, so no need to limit your use.

That's kind of ridiculous. The manufacturers keep stock in reserve if you need to RMA it, so no need to limit your use.
Maybe, maybe not. I prefer doing it my way. It’s not like I’m living a masochistic gaming life style where I’m struggling at 30 fps when I don’t need to be. Whatever I’m running is still pushing 80-120fps. It’s also kind of fun to play around with DLSS and actually see the performance benefits in games like COD and Control. The geek in me like firing up older hardware from time to time.

MLID seems to confirm price increase here. And then the prices will peak during CES in order to make "Super" (or whatever they end up call it) pricing look good.

4090 cards will be in short supply and see price increases. Already my local microcenters have way less 4090 stock then previously, and a few have gone up in price by 200 dollars.

Most people who want a 4090 should have already gotten one by now, it's been pretty easy to buy for months already.
Can anyone explain what is going on? :)
Hey, if it's easy to get - can someone buy me one? LOL!

Only until next month. People discovered if you buy 4090s and ship them *into China* you can make $1K+ per card because of the impending sanctions so they bought up all of the 4090s in stock right now. There's a little bit of supply chain awkwardness because Nvidia can no longer build boards in the mainland - my guess is that the 4080 Super will effectively replace the 4090, which was priced too high for the general market anyway. If the rumors are shaping up right it will be a 4090 with a 320-bit bus and 20GB of memory at 4080 prices, which is really what you want for gaming anyway.
Huh? Aren't some of them manufactured there?

Who cares if the 4090 becomes unobtainable? They have been out for about a year now, those really wanting and could afford one should have one already. Now of course professionals that would like to stick four or more on a high end rig for AI/Rendering etc. will be out of luck so maybe I answered my own question.

Wow, got my 4090 FE for MSRP last November. The fact that they're going up in price is insane. I've had that card for nearly a year. First time I ever bought top of the line. Glad I did.
What was msrp? I’m in the market for one but I have limits

Really anyone surprised ? this is the exact same story as as other GPU since 20 series.
either buy after launch or wait for next gen , anything else paying scalper prices or buying older gen.

This is just a sh*tty marketing ploy to make everyone who bought one feel good about spending $1800 on a goddamn graphics card.
Not sure if this is a joke that goes over my head but obviously marketing ploys aren't about gratifying current customers. If it were a ploy, the ploy would be to scare potential customers with scarcity to drive up costs and sales.

I was about to call this thread out for being complete bullshit, because I was shopping for 4090 over the past week and was seeing availability. I ordered the MSI 4090 Slim a couple days ago, and now I see they're all out of stock. Guess I'm happy I grabbed mine in time.
Who cares if the 4090 becomes unobtainable? They have been out for about a year now, those really wanting and could afford one should have one already. Now of course professionals that would like to stick four or more on a high end rig for AI/Rendering etc. will be out of luck so maybe I answered my own question.
There's a crowd of people who want the best to have the best and they're the people who would have bought the 4090. People waiting for any actual reason to own the 4090, are now starting to gain interest, because Alan Wake 2 is the first AAA title that was released with the goal of taking advantage of that power. Other than that, there's been virtually nothing to sell people on the 4090 over 3090's or the 3090 Ti's, because those cards are still maxing just about everything at 4k anyways.

In my case, up until this point there hasn't been a single way for me to even take advantage of the 4090's power. Now that software exists to properly do so, now it makes sense to own this card. It would have been nice if the price dropped since release, but we're still a long ways until CES 2025, so the 4090 clearly has a lot of life left.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is a joke that goes over my head but obviously marketing ploys aren't about gratifying current customers. If it were a ploy, the ploy would be to scare potential customers with scarcity to drive up costs and sales.

I was about to call this thread out for being complete bullshit, because I was shopping for 4090 over the past week and was seeing availability. I ordered the MSI 4090 Slim a couple days ago, and now I see they're all out of stock. Guess I'm happy I grabbed mine in time.

There's a crowd of people who want the best to have the best and they're the people who would have bought the 4090. People waiting for any actual reason to own the 4090, are now starting to gain interest, because Alan Wake 2 is the first AAA title that was released with the goal of taking advantage of that power. Other than that, there's been virtually nothing to sell people on the 4090 over 3090's or the 3090 Ti's, because those cards are still maxing just about everything at 4k anyways.

In my case, up until this point there hasn't been a single way for me to even take advantage of the 4090's power. Now that software exists to properly do so, now it makes sense to own this card. It would have been nice if the price dropped since release, but we're still a long ways until CES 2025, so the 4090 clearly has a lot of life left.

I felt like I was getting full use out of my 4090 way before Alan Wake 2. Only difference was that I was getting full use out of it to game at 120fps, now I'm getting full use out of it to game at 60fps.

4090 Founders has got to be my favorite graphics card of all time. Not to sound like a Nvidia fanboy but it's just a beautiful little tank. The massive performance uplift over 3090Ti was a godsend for those of us gaming at 4k/120+Hz. What I consider to be the first "true" 4k high refresh GPU. I recently celebrated our first anniversary together by upgrading her to DDR5. She's worth every penny!:D

Hm? The 4090 MSRP is 1599.

4090 Founders has got to be my favorite graphics card of all time. Not to sound like a Nvidia fanboy but it's just a beautiful little tank. The massive performance uplift over 3090Ti was a godsend for those of us gaming at 4k/120+Hz. What I consider to be the first "true" 4k high refresh GPU. I recently celebrated our first anniversary together by upgrading her to DDR5. She's worth every penny!:D

It's become a bit more debatable now that the 4080 has dropped in price and then is scheduled to further drop in price (supposedly). But yeah it's still got 1.5x as much VRAM and its performance is still something else. I'm only at 3440x1440 and am getting great FPS in most things I play even without upscaling. Hogwarts Legacy plays great, although I had to get a 7800X3D to make it happen thanks to the CPU bottleneck...

My Suprim X Liquid was $1620 open box at MC, and I'm really liking it now over the air coolers because my NVME temperatures dropped a lot thanks to this cooling setup. Now everything on my board is pretty frosty. Unfortunately, the pump introduces a failure point, but it's a tradeoff.

some jackass started a rumor on [H]ardforum...

Wasn't really Hardforum. When the 4090 was still on the China ban list, basically every tech youtuber was saying the same thing. Fortunately, it got removed, last I checked.

Hm? The 4090 MSRP is 1599.

It's become a bit more debatable now that the 4080 has dropped in price and then is scheduled to further drop in price (supposedly). But yeah it's still got 1.5x as much VRAM and its performance is still something else. I'm only at 3440x1440 and am getting great FPS in most things I play even without upscaling. Hogwarts Legacy plays great, although I had to get a 7800X3D to make it happen thanks to the CPU bottleneck...

My Suprim X Liquid was $1620 open box at MC, and I'm really liking it now over the air coolers because my NVME temperatures dropped a lot thanks to this cooling setup. Now everything on my board is pretty frosty. Unfortunately, the pump introduces a failure point, but it's a tradeoff.

Wasn't really Hardforum. When the 4090 was still on the China ban list, basically every tech youtuber was saying the same thing. Fortunately, it got removed, last I checked.
Then I paid 1599. :) Been a year...

I felt like I was getting full use out of my 4090 way before Alan Wake 2. Only difference was that I was getting full use out of it to game at 120fps, now I'm getting full use out of it to game at 60fps.
You're only getting 60FPS at 4k with your 4090? If you're not gaming at 8k, I recommend an RMA :p

Anyways, I reinstalled Alan Wake 2 after I realized it's the only thing that I can see any benefit from. Other than Cyberpunk, I suppose. Neither are exactly killer apps, mind you. I anticipate slogging through Alan Wake 2 and further complaining about it.

You're only getting 60FPS at 4k with your 4090? If you're not gaming at 8k, I recommend an RMA :p

Without Frame Generation yes games like CP2077 and Alan Wake 2 with everything maxed out and full PT enabled will only get about 60fps (With DLSS). FG can boost this up to around 80-90 though.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this
You're only getting 60FPS at 4k with your 4090?
only ??, you need to go down at 1440p to reach 60fps at ultra setting with an 4090 in Alan wake 2
performance-pt-3840-2160.png

Back