4090s will be in short supply for the next 2 years

You're forgetting dlss and/or frame generation... :).
are we already calling upscaled too, the name of the resolution or frame generated FPS ? We should wait at least a little decade to make that strange step, like we were consoles gamers already.

are we already calling upscaled too, the name of the resolution or frame generated FPS ? We should wait at least a little decade to make that strange step, like we were consoles gamers already.
Frame generation doesn't upscale. I call dlss 4k, but not native 4k. It's reconstructed 4k. Not really fully lower resolution. Looks far better than traditional upscaling used by consoles, and fsr even.

Maybe, maybe not. I prefer doing it my way. It’s not like I’m living a masochistic gaming life style where I’m struggling at 30 fps when I don’t need to be. Whatever I’m running is still pushing 80-120fps. It’s also kind of fun to play around with DLSS and actually see the performance benefits in games like COD and Control. The geek in me like firing up older hardware from time to time.
As someone who also tinkers with older hardware myself I can appreciate this standpoint. I don't have much, but what I do have I value and have appreciation for. It's important to remember where we came from... I never imagined computing going so parallel in nature. It's kinda breathtaking when you take into account what's floating out there for server and HEDT/Workstation...

As someone who also tinkers with older hardware myself I can appreciate this standpoint. I don't have much, but what I do have I value and have appreciation for. It's important to remember where we came from... I never imagined computing going so parallel in nature. It's kinda breathtaking when you take into account what's floating out there for server and HEDT/Workstation...

Another side benefit is it encourages me to put a small dent in my gigantic backlog of games. Not that I can't do it on a 4090 but I tend to gravitate towards the newer, more demanding stuff there. Currently playing through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. May finally finish Doom Eternal after that. Got pretty far into that game then got stuck and haven't fired it up much since.

Another side benefit is it encourages me to put a small dent in my gigantic backlog of games. Not that I can't do it on a 4090 but I tend to gravitate towards the newer, more demanding stuff there. Currently playing through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. May finally finish Doom Eternal after that. Got pretty far into that game then got stuck and haven't fired it up much since.

The demon possession thing ruined Doom Eternal for me. Nothing was more annoying that having that stupid thing posses a baron and it just flies around the map smacking you until you die lol.

Completely disingenuous to compare DLSS to traditional upscaling methods. If the professionals & enthusiasts feel comfortable using AI upscaling to target higher levels of visual fidelity than they would be able to achieve otherwise, then who am I or you to naysay?

It would be one thing if you're going to make the argument on the merits of how good it actually looks, but rather you've started this off on arbitrary distinctions. Sounds like you'd shoot yourself in the foot if it means you get to keep some form of elitism that only exists in your head. The reason why DLSS has taken off so much is because it actually works, and works very well. The very goal of DLSS is to provide higher visual fidelity & framerates at 4k, and if you want to ignore it, that's on you. If DLSS didn't exist, they'd simply have scaled the optimization differently to maintain good performance at 4k, because that's how games are actually developed.

Sounds like you'd shoot yourself in the foot if it means you get to keep some form of elitism that only exists in your head.
Elitism only if one care about 4k upscaled instead of native, once one do not care, does not care to call it upscaled either, like you say only how good it look matter, but calling 1080p upscaled to 4k simply 4k, with the current tech do seem to be a bit too soon.

If DLSS didn't exist, they'd simply have scaled the optimization differently to maintain good performance at 4k, because that's how games are actually developed.
They would be using Unreal engine and other upscalers, like they did and still do I imagine, most of those games have console version without DLSS.

only ??, you need to go down at 1440p to reach 60fps at ultra setting with an 4090 in Alan wake 2
View attachment 610795

Am I the only one that's kind of impressed that the Arc A770 on that list is actually getting 5.6 FPS? A 4070 is getting 1.6 FPS, by comparison. I mean, sure... that's still 100% unplayable. But... still impressive, all things considered.

Probably vram related, look at the 4060TI 16GB
1699243466253.png

The 4070 and 7700XT both have 12GB, and the 4070 should be 13% faster (and then the 4070 Ti should be much faster than that), but it's doing abysmally. Either this game is doing much worse on Nvidia GPUs, or... something weird I guess. They both have the same memory bus, too, afaik...

View attachment 611348

The 4070 and 7700XT both have 12GB, and the 4070 should be 13% faster (and then the 4070 Ti should be much faster than that), but it's doing abysmally. Either this game is doing much worse on Nvidia GPUs, or... something weird I guess. They both have the same memory bus, too, afaik...
I haven't saw the 7700xt above it like that, that one is strange, considering the really weak 4060TI>7800xt and how much Nvidia seem to have been involved, I would not imagine a general game running worse on Nvidia GPU .

A 1080p/1440p the 4070 is a different category all together, and goes down just at 4k, which use 16GB on a 4090, the 12GB 6700xt also completely disapear.

Maybe there something with the reBAR-cache doing something weird on the 7700xt if it is not an error.

For example, they have quite a different result it seem:
https://www.cowcotland.com/articles...dia-affrontent-l-horrifique-path-tracing.html

13 fps for the 4070 staying a bit above the 4060ti, close to the 7900xtx

same result for them:
idjbhad7r7xb1.png

When it is boderline like that maybe where you play in the game matter a lot or how long the benchmark run is...

It's honestly kind of impressive to see an Arc A770 edge out my 3080 vanilla at 4K. I always knew Arc had potential, but dayum...

It's honestly kind of impressive to see an Arc A770 edge out my 3080 vanilla at 4K. I always knew Arc had potential, but dayum...

That's a VRAM issue. The Arc 770 is also beating the 4070 Ti, which wouldn't happen if the 4070 Ti had enough VRAM to do the GPU any justice.

But we've been assured by people on the internet that 10GB of VRAM on the 3080 and 12GB of VRAM on the 4070 Ti are sufficient and appropriate for those cards which Nvidia is charging us $800 for, so there's that.

my guess is that the 4080 Super will effectively replace the 4090, which was priced too high for the general market anyway. If the rumors are shaping up right it will be a 4090 with a 320-bit bus and 20GB of memory at 4080 prices, which is really what you want for gaming anyway.
I wouldn't count on that. Nvidia has no incentive to lower the cost of AD102 further than what the 4090 sells for. 4090's sell just fine. 4080 Super is going to be a price correction of the massively overpriced (and unpopular sits on shelves) 4080 and will be on full AD103 with 16GB. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll price it the same as the 7900XTX at $999. Essentially a 5-10% better 4080 at $200 less.

The price hike is real :(
Get a 4090 now or forever hold your piece :p

Wow ikr? I just checked and the msi gaming trio is selling for $500 more than I bought it for on amazon. crazy.. maybe just wait this out unless you gotta have one.

Still hundreds of units, dozens of different SKU's available up here in iglooistan. Have been since launch. Heck, I was "lucky" and got another 4090 FE for a build coming up this morning. (you literally just check every morning till they do another batch, I've waited max 3 days)

Still a primarily USA focused stock issue.

Still hundreds of units, dozens of different SKU's available up here in iglooistan. Have been since launch. Heck, I was "lucky" and got another 4090 FE for a build coming up this morning. (you literally just check every morning till they do another batch, I've waited max 3 days)

Still a primarily USA focused stock issue.
most of us dont want to pay 2100+ canuckistani pesos for one, yipes!

Wtf, lol. Gamespot doesn't sell graphics cards.
Gamestop, not Gamespot, but yes they do. They have sold graphics cards for many years at this point. Remember that they started out as Babbage's, and assimilated Electronic's Boutique and Software, Etc.

I even tried to make sure, in my head, that I didn't get Gamestop and Gamespot mixed up but it still happened. Actually maybe I caused it to happen by trying to make sure it didn't...

Anyway seems to be going in and out of stock:
1700857584250.png

Showing 1 left again, for ship to home. I don't know if it's actually legitimate stock or they're doing something fudgy on the website, but w/e.

Edit: Aaand it's gone again. Either there are some really hungry 4090 shoppers, or their site is iffy, or maybe both.

Last edited:
I even tried to make sure, in my head, that I didn't get Gamestop and Gamespot mixed up but it still happened. Actually maybe I caused it to happen by trying to make sure it didn't...

Anyway seems to be going in and out of stock:
View attachment 615800

Showing 1 left again, for ship to home. I don't know if it's actually legitimate stock or they're doing something fudgy on the website, but w/e.

Edit: Aaand it's gone again. Either there are some really hungry 4090 shoppers, or their site is iffy, or maybe both.
I think this is just the way the website behaves. I was having similar issues trying to buy a 4090 earlier this year from Gamestop.

yeah. bought one in summer and i'm happy with it. they'll be in short supply until the 5090 comes, so nvidia can keep their price up.
That may have something to do with it, but I think it's more that wafers are for AI dies and the market for 4090 buyers is small in the first place.

Just bought a used 3090 from another member for the server for AI usage instead of getting a 4090 for my main pc. Microcenter near me was out of 4090s including the ridiculously priced Eva one. Guess I will wait for the 5090. I hear the 5090 will have 32 gb of ram.

Just bought a used 3090 from another member for the server for AI usage instead of getting a 4090 for my main pc. Microcenter near me was out of 4090s including the ridiculously priced Eva one. Guess I will wait for the 5090. I hear the 5090 will have 32 gb of ram.
Do we know or have an idea when the 5090 will drop?

Maybe end of 2024 is being batted around in the Blackwell 50 series thread … I’m thinking more like 2025 though. Idk. Just my gut talking. I’d welcome a 2024 release though.
I see, okay. Doesn’t seem like it’s a bad idea to get a 4090 now if I can find one.

Back