390X coming soon few weeks

Hopefully he means second half of the FISCAL year!
So, like, any day now...

(hopefully)

Didn't lordECC say AMD was sand bagging and cards would start coming out in may and june the complete lineup would be out.

I guess he knows more than the CEO.

Nope never said anything like that.
I said they were sandbagging with a June launch of Fiji, since it has been in mass production for awhile.

I've never said anything about a release date for the rest of the lineup.
I also knew more than the CEO back in 2013 when I was telling people AMD was releasing new cards that year after the Feb interview and conference calls that stated they were focusing on the 7000 series through the end of 2013.

ETA- But thanks for putting words in my mouth to try and make me look bad.

Last edited:
as a former 970 sli user (refunded after the whole vram fiaco) i don't know what you have been playing.

Dragon Age:I flickering
Far Cry 4 : where to even start
Shadow of Mordor ; weird graphical issues
CoD.only worked after thy patched it

And i don't care about the whole debate whose fault it is, be it nvidia/amd or game devs, when i have two cards for about 700 euros in my rig i expect far more than this

hence stuck waiting for a single monster card, much like titan x but for us poor plebs

I play both DAI and FC4. Yeah they sometimes did have the flickering issue but that was easily fixed by switching to windowed fullscreen then back to fullscreen. But now we don't have to do any of that as recent patches fixed it. And scaling is sweet, I am getting around 45-55 fps @ 4K max details noAA. With one card I am only getting approx 30fps, so scaling is definatly there.

Didn't lordECC say AMD was sand bagging and cards would start coming out in may and june the complete lineup would be out.

I guess he knows more than the CEO.

Don't bash LordEC911, he is pretty well read on the subject.
Regardless of what everyone has to say, or is speculating the date or month will be, there is no official conformation of anything. Computex is the closes thing we have to a reliable rumor right now. Hell it may come out even after Computex, but I find it hard to believe that AMD would be that dumb.
In any case we still have a while to wait, and that begs the question is it even worth waiting for another 28nm card when the 16/14nm will be coming out sometime in 2016?

Well apparently GTA V is all wonky on AMD. Have fun with your 390x's when you can't even play massive, record breaking AAA games because of graphical issues anyways...

I love how if it's an AMD product, one wonky video game means everything is broken and nothing works.

Don't have GTA V, don't care about GTA V and will never buy GTA V.

I love amd , but I'm so tired of wait 390x ... Its about 4 month waiting until now

Hopefully only another couple of months and the wait will be over. If the performance is good, then the wait will have been worth it.

August/September would be nearly an entire year after the GTX 980 launch... Either there have been some really big issues and delays that we don't know about, or AMD is biding their time and making this thing perfect, so they can drop a bomb on Nvidia.

September launch means they will only get a few months before first 16nm should start appearing.

September launch means they will only get a few months before first 16nm should start appearing.

September also would be a whole 2 years since the launch of AMD's last flagship GPU. This is the sad state of affairs now, I guess.

While I don't see them holding 390x back until September I do see the likelihood to a June paper launch to drive interest further with actual launch in July. AMD needs their golden boy out their to win back market share.

In other news, AMD Q1 earnings report $180m net loss. Also, regarding the comment that Su may be referring to the fiscal year when referring to a second half release, as a rule, companies refer to a calendar year when talking about roadmap guidance -- she undoubtedly means a post-July 1 release.

Last edited:
September also would be a whole 2 years since the launch of AMD's last flagship GPU. This is the sad state of affairs now, I guess.

While I don't see them holding 390x back until September I do see the likelihood to a June paper launch to drive interest further with actual launch in July. AMD needs their golden boy out their to win back market share.

I agree, and with the release of GTAV, AMD missed a HUGE AAA title, which they could of sold alot of new cards. Now everyone is going to buy 970/980's....Or even the overpriced Titan X.

AMD dropped the ball on this one that is for sure.

I would love to have a 390x or 2 in my PC for the launch of the Witcher 3. Sadly it`s highly unlikely.

I agree, and with the release of GTAV, AMD missed a HUGE AAA title, which they could of sold alot of new cards. Now everyone is going to buy 970/980's....Or even the overpriced Titan X.

Well you have cheap plebs like me who refuse to buy games on launch day, a) because I refuse to be a beta tester, and b) $60 for a game is a ripoff, always wait for those Steam sales.

So I guess AMD is pandering to people like me. :p

Well you have cheap plebs like me who refuse to buy games on launch day, a) because I refuse to be a beta tester, and b) $60 for a game is a ripoff, always wait for those Steam sales.

So I guess AMD is pandering to people like me. :p

who paid $60 for GTAV?......I only paid $42 0_o

Honestly I don't see it as AMD "dropping the ball".

The money just isn't there anymore. Nvidia has more R&D budget than the entirety of AMD. It's actually kind of amazing they can stay somewhat competitive in the position they're in.

Honestly I don't see it as AMD "dropping the ball".

The money just isn't there anymore. Nvidia has more R&D budget than the entirety of AMD. It's actually kind of amazing they can stay somewhat competitive in the position they're in.

I would have to disagree. GTAV sold 1 million units just on Steam alone. That is not including all the cdkeys sold on legit cdkey websites for rockstar social club.....There are going to be A LOT of people upgrading graphics card to play it. It was one of the most highly anticipated titles this year.

Don't get me wrong I do not want AMD to fail, but there are going to be a lot of people upgrading video cards since GTAV came out.

I mean if you look at http://steamcharts.com/ GTAV is on par with CS:GO which is an amazing feat.

I would have to disagree. GTAV sold 1 million units just on Steam alone. That is not including all the cdkeys sold on legit cdkey websites for rockstar social club.....There are going to be A LOT of people upgrading graphics card to play it. It was one of the most highly anticipated titles this year.

Don't get me wrong I do not want AMD to fail, but there are going to be a lot of people upgrading video cards since GTAV came out.

I mean if you look at http://steamcharts.com/ GTAV is on par with CS:GO which is an amazing feat.

Agreed here. It would have been optimal to match the 390x release with a AAA title. AMD has missed GTA V and will miss the Witcher 3, arguably the two biggest releases of 2015. Even for people who are not planning on picking up titles on release day, it builds a huge circular amount of buzz. As it stands, 390x looks like it will be released in the relative dead mid-summer period for AAA releases.

On another note, the more I look at reviews of the Titan X and it's superiority over 4GB cards (AMD or nV) at high resolution, the more I think 390x will be gimped for my purposes if it only has 4GB vRAM. For me to consider the 390x, as a 4k user, I need: a) it to be around or over Titan X performance, b) be priced $650 or under, c) have >4GB vRAM, d) be released >6 months out from 16nm options. If all three of those factors are true, I'm lining up; if one of those factors are off, I'll look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Sigh. Needing a card to replace an hd6870 in one of my rigs.

There is a version of the R9 290x which has 8gb of ram. Otherwise, the 290x is on par with the gtx970. (I'll ignore the minor sniping. C'mon, they're about the same... One is better in one way, the other better in another.)

They're priced similarly. However, I currently own a gtx970. Sooo...buying a 2nd opens up the ability to SLI.

I've been holding out since September/October hoping for the 390... C'mon AMD. You're about to lose me. Oh, and if I go gtx970, then all three of my gaming machines will be Nvidia, despite my desire to ALWAYS have one AMD, one Nvidia, and one which alternates. That speaks volumes.

Put out an engineering sample. Let us see what you've got. Or is it so problematic that you cannot dare put it into the light of day?

What seems to be lost on many people here is that it seems highly unlikely that the next gen of cards are all done, and AMD is just sitting there twiddling their thumbs waiting for a good time to release.

If they are not releasing today, and missing out on peoples upgrades for - arguably - the biggest title of the year (GTA V, even though I personally have absolutely 0 interest in it) there is a reason for it.

That reason is probably that they aren't done yet,

Firstly, the development schedules for something this complex are attempted to be determined many YEARS in advance, long before the launch dates of any titles, or any competitors products are known.

Secondly, if anyone tells me they ahve been on a major product development project, like for a GPU, and the project plan and schedules have stayed the same throughout the entire development cycle, I'd be willing to come right out and call them a liar.

Things change, subsystem tests fail, requiring going back to the drawing board and rework certain aspects of designs, adding time, vendors aren't ready for production, parts shortages, key people leaving the company resulting in delays, etc. etc. etc. There are so many moving parts in a project of this scope that deadlines and launch dates scheduled in advance are guesses at best.

Anyone saying "come on AMD, just release the damned thing" really just don't have a clue what they are talking about.

3 and a half years into a 4 year project you can't just pull in your release date by a few months. You still have a few months of work to do.

And it's not just a matter of shifting people around to prioritize one project over another. A lot of time that type of "help" to speed up a project, winds up doing more harm than good, as it disrupts the team, and causes them to stop what they are dooing to bring other people up to speed.

The good old saying "you can't make a baby in 1 month with 9 women" also applies here.

It is disappointing that the Fiji based next gen cards aren't launched yet, but when they are ready they will be launched, I'm sure, so lets all calm the fuck down.

If you need an upgrade now to enjoy titles now, then you should upgrade to something now.

There is absolutely no point in waiting for the next great thing to be launched before buying, regardless of whether it is a CPU, GPU or anything else.

No matter when you buy, there will always be a next release on the horizon...

...and you can't run games today on hardware you buy tomorrow.

Why would I want to buy expensive video cards from a company that is going to go bankrupt within the next year or two?

Why would I want to buy expensive video cards from a company that is going to go bankrupt within the next year or two?

I don't think AMD will ever go bankrupt. They have an x86 license, so someone will buy them up like Samsung. Plus all the console contracts. I really do not see AMD going away.

Zarathustra[H];1041552970 said:
If they are not releasing today, and missing out on peoples upgrades for - arguably - the biggest title of the year (GTA V, even though I personally have absolutely 0 interest in it) there is a reason for it.

Rather certain the metal is out there, it's likely just the (no-less-important) drivers and compatibility they're still working on at this point.

I don't think AMD will ever go bankrupt. They have an x86 license, so someone will buy them up like Samsung. Plus all the console contracts. I really do not see AMD going away.

AMD can still go bankrupt and have a competitor or Samsung buy the guts of the company at an auction. There can also be near bankrupt cash injections or a buyout.
If AMD does not shape up they will fall behind in the graphics segment like they did in the CPU segment. All of us lucky customers will get 5-10% boosts every year: like what we get currently from Intel.

I'm not saying they are going under, but at the rate AMD is going it is hard to not bring that subject up.

Except for the fact that the x86 license evaporates as soon as there is any change of control of AMD.

Anyone buys more than 50% of AMD's outstanding shares, and the license is null and void, and would need to be renegotiated.

AMD (or whoever bought them) wouldn't have much to negotiate with - however - as the deal that was signed grants Intel a perpetual license to AMD64, so they can't withhold it to get a different deal on x86.

Why they would ever sign a boneheaded deal like that is beyond me.

Rather certain the metal is out there, it's likely just the (no-less-important) drivers and compatibility they're still working on at this point.

I'm sure they have engineering samples out there already. At this point they are probably testing and characterizing parts coming off the final production lines to determine what clock speeds,voltages and turbo modes they should program into the firmware, and what type of cooling they need to support this, at the same time as they are building up inventory for launch, and - as you say - putting the finishing touches on drivers and other software.

This would be my semi-educated guess.

Don't have GTA V, don't care about GTA V and will never buy GTA V.

This. I say the same thing for delayed games, I'd rather the release be delayed and have a properly working game (or in this case piece of hardware) and have to wait a little longer than something that gets rushed and is a steaming pile of ****. I do realize this can be a bit of a gamble as well. I do somewhat agree with the train of thought of AMD trying to get rid of 2XX cards before releasing their 3XX line, but also they could be working on hardware/driver refinements as well. (as previously mentioned)

Last edited:

I wouldn't say that. In general, graphics cards have had longer lifespans because of the fact that a lot of games are limited to the performance of their respective consoles. Hence why NVIDIA has been trying to branch out into mobile chipsets/SOC's.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/307...arnings-call-transcript?page=4&p=qanda&l=last

Vivek Arya - Bank of America Merrill Lynch
Got it. And then do you think PC gaming is a growing or a declining market? You mentioned that you expect some share games in the back half. What specifically do you think will help you regain that market share?

Lisa Su - President and CEO
Yes. So thanks for the question, Vivek. That, I do believe PC gaming and gaming in general is a growth opportunity in the market and a growth opportunity for AMD. So as I look forward, we're launching Carrizo on the APU side and we're also launching some graphics products in the second half of this year. So I think from the standpoint of being able to capture more of the market and increase more to where our normal shares are in graphics, I think that's something that we believe we can make progress towards.

unless TweakTown thinks GPU info is going to get released during Financial Analyst day

And the other thing I would encourage you to do is we are going the lay out more details from a longer-term standpoint at our Financial Analysts Day that's coming up on May the 6th, and that's where we will share more details in terms of the longer-term model.

So I think we are repositioning our portfolio car. Repositioning the portfolio always takes a bit of time and so we're working through that repositioning. But we will give more color on some of the target markets at the Financial Analysts Day. And certainly Forest Norrod who recently joined us has a lot of thoughts on where we think we can win in these spaces.

Last edited:
what does any of that have to do with anything?

this is a thread about 390 rumors...

May 31st typo aside, this is the first concrete info weve had about release timeframes in months.

13.What are AMD’s fiscal year and quarters?

AMD’s fiscal year follows the standard calendar year. Fiscal quarters for the 2014 year (exact dates are adjusted early):

First Quarter: December 28, 2013 – March 29, 2014
Second Quarter: March 30, 2014 – June 28, 2014
Third Quarter: June 29, 2014 – September 27, 2014
Fourth Quarter: September 28, 2014 – December 27, 2014

http://ir.amd.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=74093&p=irol-faq

Im sure TT will update the story when they realize they made a boo-boo

Last edited:
:)

27th would be correct if we're talking days

Only 6 months after this thread started. Gotta say I feel a little foolish buying into the rumors of last year and early this year where it was hinted at March. How wrong we were lol.

Past experience taught me - I'll believe it when I see it :) Still, gives the bank balance a chance to recouperate before a potential upgrade.

Only 6 months after this thread started. Gotta say I feel a little foolish buying into the rumors of last year and early this year where it was hinted at March. How wrong we were lol.

End of Q1 was the original target date.
Honestly it looks like things got pushed a bit for a number of reasons.
Clearing inventory, syncing release with Carrizo and shrinking the lag-time when launching the rest of the family.

There are possibly some technical reasons but that would be pure speculation.
HBM packaging or supply, shifting to GF fabs for GPU ASICs and having some issues.

At this rate we might as well compare the 390x against Pascal. ;)
Yeah because that makes sense...

You're skeptical now, but let's see how long it really takes to launch if the 8GB HBM rumors are true! It might be closer to the release of Pascal. :D

Yeah, because Pascal is a 2H 2016 product that might not have consumer versions until sometime in 2017...
Plus if you remember back when AMD held the node advantage, you aren't allowed to compare products across different nodes.

Back