34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

This makes sense. I tested with HDMI and had no sleep issues. Thunderbolt appears to have no issues as well. This is strictly a DisplayPort issue. If you removed the adapter from your gaming pc and ran a DP cable I can almost guarantee you would see the issue.

I found a new wrinkle.

Yesterday I upgraded to the new NV drivers (344.48). Tonight I tried to play the new Civilization: Beyond Earth game with the game PC via TB2. No matter what resolution I choose, if I use full screen, I have a black screen with mouse cursor only. If I choose window mode it's fine.

I will revert drivers tomorrow but I don't think that's the issue. I haven't spent a lot of time studying Thunderbolt, but I think I'm essentially delivering a DisplayPort signal alongside the rest of the data being carried.

I found a new wrinkle.

Yesterday I upgraded to the new NV drivers (344.48). Tonight I tried to play the new Civilization: Beyond Earth game with the game PC via TB2. No matter what resolution I choose, if I use full screen, I have a black screen with mouse cursor only. If I choose window mode it's fine.

Played this game a few hours tonight...no problems for me.

I've got a spare monitor at work that is DisplayPort capable that I'm going to borrow for the night. This test will eliminate the GPU, and cable if the monitor behaves properly. I'm not sure what results I want from this test as I'd rather not deal with LG's customer service.

I was able to test a different monitor (Dell P-Series) using my existing cabling and the Dell did not have any sleep issues. This confirms a problem with the LG or the drivers for the LG. I plan on contacting LG support about this issue and recommend others do the same.

Hey guys can you direct me to a FAQ on the backlighting issue? When I put it on a black screen, I do see some "blurry white light" on the bottom left and bottom right corners. My build is sept 2014, so it seems pretty recent...

Well that's the bleeding issue that's been mentioned. Mine has it as well but only on the left corner.

I was able to test a different monitor (Dell P-Series) using my existing cabling and the Dell did not have any sleep issues. This confirms a problem with the LG or the drivers for the LG. I plan on contacting LG support about this issue and recommend others do the same.

good luck - when I tried informing LG about bugs in their software not detecting when more than 2 monitors are connected to the PC, they did nothing but blame me and call me an idiot. tried with 4 different reps and just gave up

I told them about it. I don't think it went anywhere. I'm curious if it's been fixed in the 34UC97 curved panel.

Well that's the bleeding issue that's been mentioned. Mine has it as well but only on the left corner.

I just got the monitor yesterday so I'll have to inspect more carefully. What is the manufacturer date on yours?

I just got the monitor yesterday so I'll have to inspect more carefully. What is the manufacturer date on yours?

I can check this later today. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to buy a 34UC97. The colors and everything looks so good on this panel that I can't imagine it getting much better with a curved panel.

BTW, I believe the new panel has a slightly faster response time. 5ms for 34UM95 and 4ms for 34UC97. It won't be noticeable at all though.

I can check this later today. I'm still on the fence on whether I want to buy a 34UC97. The colors and everything looks so good on this panel that I can't imagine it getting much better with a curved panel.

BTW, I believe the new panel has a slightly faster response time. 5ms for 34UM95 and 4ms for 34UC97. It won't be noticeable at all though.

as someone who came from surround (and thoroughly enjoyed it), 3440x1440 is nowhere near the point where curved is necessary. imo, anyone who thinks the price premium of the 34UC97 is worth it is delusional. great for anyone who enjoys it, good for you - but ~$350 premium for the same resolution is silly...but then again, we're talking about ~$1000 displays, so we're all completely illogical to some people

in surround, you tilt the side monitors to combat the game's fov distortion on wide pictures - the 3440x1440 is great because it stops just before that picture becomes distorted.

Thanks.

The interesting thing about this is that I've run into this on Mavericks in OSX. So I'd almost start to think it's with NV drivers, but people using the new Mac Pro are having the same issue (black screen with working mouse cursor) and those all use ATI GPUs.

Summary: This is been an issue with OSX, Windows, DP, Thunderbolt (which is really DP), NVidia, and ATI.

Admit it. You just have G.A.S :D

Well, I just joined the Massdrop drop for the LG.

I'll let them decide whether or not I'll get the monitor.

Well, I just joined the Massdrop drop for the LG.

I'll let them decide whether or not I'll get the monitor.

I don't think there's any question at this point. Sales have jumped today (only a few more units needed at this time) and there are still 7 days left. I'm betting it'll hit either tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

The masses have spoken. :)

For anyone that wants to know. 34UM95 has sleep issues. On the curved 34UC97, there are no such issues. 300 dollar premium though.

New user on the forum.

I ended up buying the 95 from Costco after I saw it listed there for $949 and getting verification from customer service that the standard return policy applies for it (not the 90 day computer/television return policy). Therefore I'm less worried about the 1 yr warranty with the 95 as opposed to the 3 yr for the 94.

Also I like that I can attach a VESA mount arm on the monitor to my desk as opposed to the fixed stand on the UC97. I haven't had a chance to see the UC97 yet but I don't like that it doesn't have a standard VESA mount. If the UC87 was readily available for the same price as the UC97 then I might give it a look.

Hopefully when it comes in it doesn't suffer from the extreme back light bleeding or IPS glow that it seems like most of the ones here purchased from Costco seem to. If it does then I'll just return it to my local store. The Massdrop price is very appealing but the lack of a good return policy turned me off from it.

mine came in the mail today, can't wait to get off work to play with this monster!
pictures up as soon as I get them!

New user on the forum.

I ended up buying the 95 from Costco after I saw it listed there for $949 and getting verification from customer service that the standard return policy applies for it (not the 90 day computer/television return policy). Therefore I'm less worried about the 1 yr warranty with the 95 as opposed to the 3 yr for the 94.

Also I like that I can attach a VESA mount arm on the monitor to my desk as opposed to the fixed stand on the UC97. I haven't had a chance to see the UC97 yet but I don't like that it doesn't have a standard VESA mount. If the UC87 was readily available for the same price as the UC97 then I might give it a look.

Hopefully when it comes in it doesn't suffer from the extreme back light bleeding or IPS glow that it seems like most of the ones here purchased from Costco seem to. If it does then I'll just return it to my local store. The Massdrop price is very appealing but the lack of a good return policy turned me off from it.

Massdrop typically has an extremely good return policy, but Costco ain't bad either!

I'd save a ton buying from Massdrop though (no tax) so I went that route.

It's the luck of the draw with the back light bleeding. My 34UM95 had more back light bleeding than my 34UC97.

I decided to take the leap and got a 34UM94-P from one of the big online camera stores for 950 delivered. I thought they have a decent return policy and it was delivered the next day with free shipping. There is a little glow on the left side, but nothing noticeable when I'm gaming. It does take a little while getting used to the width of this thing. I sit about 3 feet away and have to move my head left and right a lot more than my old 26" widescreen. I will probably get a new stand since it sits a bit lower than I prefer.

does anyone recommend free software to let me use different wallpapers on each screen with Windows 7?

Massdrop typically has an extremely good return policy, but Costco ain't bad either!

I'd save a ton buying from Massdrop though (no tax) so I went that route.

That's good to know about Massdrop. I thought I read here that once you buy from Massdrop and unless it's damaged in shipping that any issues are between you and the manufacturer under warranty.

Does anybody have this hooked up to a laptop? If so, do you play games on it? Whats your videocard in the laptop? And is it bad/playable/great?

I'm buying a laptop to run this monitor but I need to know if the difference between a 870m vs 970m on this is worth $350....

so got home and hooked everything up.
bad bleed in the bottom left corner.
Luckily I'm not too picky so it doesn't bug too bad.
But once I am satisfied with the re-arranging of my setup I will post pictures, probably tomorrow.

But first impressions:
Crazy amount of screen real estate.
Amazing color.
Easy of set-up
beauty

That's good to know about Massdrop. I thought I read here that once you buy from Massdrop and unless it's damaged in shipping that any issues are between you and the manufacturer under warranty.

Check out https://www.massdrop.com/faq under the heading After Receiving the Drop
Massdrop isn't a retailer, so they don't take returns or make exchanges. Unless the product was damaged in the last leg of shipping, you have to work with the manufacturer for any service needs.

They will tell you to go with the manufacturer as you will typically get a replacement, but if they are being difficult they'll help you out.

Okay, so I found a solution to the Sleep Issue...for some of you at least. We want to use the displayport as it's the only "official" way to get 60hz to the monitor at it's native refresh rate. BUT, those of us with a GTX 970 and GTX 980 have an HDMI 2.0 port on our cards that can output more bandwidth than previous generation cards. All I did was hook up an HDMI cable into HDMI port 1 on the monitor and create a custom 3440x1440 60p signal in nvidia's control panel. Works without any issues and NO MORE SLEEP PROBLEMS.

Those of you with an older card that has a dual link DVI output, i'd invest into one of these badboys:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-DVI-D-Dual-Female-Adapter/dp/B00DZOO2XO

I would imagine that would solve the issue as well.

The only thing I think we're losing out on here is the 10bit video through frame rate dithering if we use the HDMI input, but don't quote me.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Okay, so I found a solution to the Sleep Issue...for some of you at least. We want to use the displayport as it's the only "official" way to get 60hz to the monitor at it's native refresh rate. BUT, those of us with a GTX 970 and GTX 980 have an HDMI 2.0 port on our cards that can output more bandwidth than previous generation cards. All I did was hook up an HDMI cable into HDMI port 1 on the monitor and create a custom 3440x1440 60p signal in nvidia's control panel. Works without any issues and NO MORE SLEEP PROBLEMS.

Those of you with an older card that has a dual link DVI output, i'd invest into one of these badboys:

http://www.amazon.com/HDE-DVI-D-Dual-Female-Adapter/dp/B00DZOO2XO

I would imagine that would solve the issue as well.

The only thing I think we're losing out on here is the 10bit video through frame rate dithering if we use the HDMI input, but don't quote me.

Interesting. Where are you finding the info on the supported HDMI version of the port? I've looked in several places and the outputs are usually just listed as "HDMI" with no indication of the spec.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So something that's been driving me crazy with the 34UM95 is that no matter what computer or video card it's hooked up to, I see green scan lines on random parts of different scenes. Sometimes they will be on a preference panel, sometimes in a dark part of the screen in a game. It always seems to be somewhat random.

At first I thought maybe it was my GPU, but I've switched that. Also tried with a Mac & PC, same exact thing. Could this be settings? Has anyone seen green lines with this display at times?

So something that's been driving me crazy with the 34UM95 is that no matter what computer or video card it's hooked up to, I see green scan lines on random parts of different scenes. Sometimes they will be on a preference panel, sometimes in a dark part of the screen in a game. It always seems to be somewhat random.

At first I thought maybe it was my GPU, but I've switched that. Also tried with a Mac & PC, same exact thing. Could this be settings? Has anyone seen green lines with this display at times?

Have you tried different cables for your interface? Or different interfaces (HDMI vs. DP, etc.)?

Also, if using only DP, is your monitor set to DP 1.2 enabled? If so, try switching that off or vice-versa if it's disabled.

Interesting. Where are you finding the info on the supported HDMI version of the port? I've looked in several places and the outputs are usually just listed as "HDMI" with no indication of the spec.

It's right on nVidia's website for both the GTX 970 and 980. Look under specifications;

Display Support:
Dual Link DVI-I, HDMI 2.0, 3x DisplayPort 1.2 Standard Display Connectors

Also it should be noted that the HDMI 2.0 port supports the full spec as far as bandwidth goes so you'll be able to push 12bit 4:4:4 color/chroma from the port at 4K 60hz. This is really the first GPU or major display device to offer this.

Have you tried different cables for your interface? Or different interfaces (HDMI vs. DP, etc.)?

Also, if using only DP, is your monitor set to DP 1.2 enabled? If so, try switching that off or vice-versa if it's disabled.

I've tried everything except different interface, because HDMI can't do 3440x1440 at 60hz so its a no go. One thing I did find helps is messing with the contrast and turning it up, but it still does not completely fix this issue. Right now I don't have green lines around the contact picture circles in Messages, but down near the dock there are some random green lines that dance around a bit as I move the mouse over dock icons.

It's right on nVidia's website for both the GTX 970 and 980. Look under specifications;

Thanks, initially I looked up the GTX 970 and 980 on a manufacturer's site (EVGA) and it didn't specify. I should have checked nVidia's website.

Although, for every card prior to the 970 that I looked at, they don't specify the version. For example, the GTX 660, 780, etc. just say "HDMI". Odd that they would only make the information readily available on the newest cards since there have been so many previous versions of the HDMI spec (1.0, 1.1, 1.2/a, 1.3/a/b/c, 1.4/a/b, etc.; granted, most of those have been around a while so we should reasonably assume that at least 1.4 is supported on cards from the past few years). According to Wikipedia, HDMI 2.0 was initially released in September 2013 so many people would probably incorrectly assume that most cards released since then support 2.0 when in fact (as you pointed out) this is the first GPU to do so.

What will give me more productivity

owning two yamakasi 27" 16:9 2560x1440p monitors or one 34" LG curves wide screen

Seems like i got a better deal paying 350 ea calibrated with i1 for my monitors vs upgrading to one 34 inch
also not sure about the res is it compatible with all games? I play alot of indie games and the 21:9 res seems to be awesome but i think the true standard will be 4k
what do you think?

Productivity? It's hard to say, really. Obviously the 2 x 27" monitors gives you more horizontal space to work with and is more cost effective, but when you play a game and switch to a single monitor you're going to lose some of the immersion. You can be pretty darn productive on the 34"; it's quite doable to have 3-4 windows open from left to right depending on what you're doing.

Regarding 21:9, I was worried that I'd be playing a lot of games with black bars on the side but I've tested quite a few and the only one I haven't figured out how to make work full screen so far is Gone Home. I'm sure there are more but I haven't been able to test all 450+ games in my Steam library. 3440x1440 is supported by most newer titles, and many older ones can easily be made to support that resolution with a tool or config file edit.

I do see myself eventually going to 4K but not until 32-40" displays are widely available and have most of the current issues worked out (MST, DPI scaling, non-TN, etc.) and that will be quite a while so I wanted the 34" ultrawide to tide me over until then.

Productivity? It's hard to say, really. Obviously the 2 x 27" monitors gives you more horizontal space to work with and is more cost effective, but when you play a game and switch to a single monitor you're going to lose some of the immersion. You can be pretty darn productive on the 34"; it's quite doable to have 3-4 windows open from left to right depending on what you're doing.

Regarding 21:9, I was worried that I'd be playing a lot of games with black bars on the side but I've tested quite a few and the only one I haven't figured out how to make work full screen so far is Gone Home. I'm sure there are more but I haven't been able to test all 450+ games in my Steam library. 3440x1440 is supported by most newer titles, and many older ones can easily be made to support that resolution with a tool or config file edit.

I do see myself eventually going to 4K but not until 32-40" displays are widely available and have most of the current issues worked out (MST, DPI scaling, non-TN, etc.) and that will be quite a while so I wanted the 34" ultrawide to tide me over until then.

I am curious to know if 4k will be a resolution that will be easily detected in game. I hate using configs to fix games.

Back