34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

I received the 34UM95 from Amazon, the screen is a September '14 build. Suffers from very noticeable backlight bleed in the bottom left corner, so it's going back. Perhaps I'll try my luck with the soon-to-ship UC97 instead.

That's exactly what happens to me, and it happens with both my Win7 laptop and my Win8.1 desktop (I have each connected via DisplayPort via a real KVM switch). I have to turn the monitor fully off to be sure it won't turn on for no reason after Windows tells it to power down.

It doesn't matter who doesn't have this issue (or who does have it but doesn't realize it). It's an issue for at least some of us...

I'm going to try enabling DP 1.2. (Edit: Well that was a short experiment. DP 1.2 didn't work with Win7 at all, and within seconds, I noticed screen corruption under Win8.1.)

I finally got around to pulling the DisplayPort cable and running just an HDMI connection. Running HDMI, the monitor goes to sleep without issue while the computer is still active. When the computer sleeps, the monitor sleeps too. That means the issue lies in the DisplayPort, DisplayPort cable, or DisplayPort out on my GTX780. I think my next step would be to buy a new DisplayPort cable and swap out the cable that was included with the monitor. Anyone with the sleep issues running a cable OTHER than the cable LG gave us?

*** BUMP ****

Tried to add my old Mini Displayport to DVI adapter monitor to the 2nd TB connection on the monitor last night. No dice. Research indicates that if the LG functions the same way as a Apple TB display then it will never work, the only thing to do it put another TB device in the chain (such as a Seagate TB Drive adapter) then hang the monitor off there.

Question is: Has anyone actually tried this with the LG monitor?

thanks,
RDP

I will answer my own question.

It works as long as the device driving the setup qualifies to run that many monitors.

My setup: MBA 2012 > LG > Caldigit Dock > 1920x1200 panel using official Apple DP-DVI connector connected to the pass-through on the Caldigit Dock

All this from an MBA, 3 panels (internal is also active) all at once, I am impressed.

RDP

Just bought the 29-inch version, the LG 29UM65, could not be happier, fantastic monitor, exceptional image quality.

Perhaps this information pertains... My 7970 connected via monoprice mini-DP to DP cable fails to sleep when windows passes the set threshold for turning the monitor off. DP 1.2 is off. When I have 1.2 turned on, the windows/catalyst does some weird display detection stuff on startup.

I'm running the LG 34UM95 monitor with 2 different computers. I know each of these is pretty much an edge-case for [H], but maybe it'll help someone.

1) 2010 Mac Pro with EVGA 680, latest web drivers and via DisplayPort.

I was having terrible sleep issues with Mavericks. Rather than wake, the display would show an all black screen with the mouse cursor on the screen and functional, in that you could move it about. I had to manually toggle the power button on the MP while hitting keyboard keys in an effort to wake properly. Upgrading to Yosemite and using either the OS drivers, or the latest Nvidia web drivers solved all of my issues and everything works great now.

2) Gaming PC with reference NV 980's in SLI, DisplayPort to Asus ThunderboltEX II card. Thunderbolt 2 to the LG display. PC is using Windows 8.1 and NV 344.16 drivers.

This setup works perfectly and I've never had any sleep issues.

I have 3x amd 290x in CrossfireX. When the screen goes to sleep, it just keeps cyling the message where it says that it's going into sleep. Currently using catalyst 14.8 drivers. 14.9 drivers have issues and it hangs my computer during regular operation.

First Post!

Anyway, I purchased the 34um95 from Frys. It had a horrible backlight problem. Almost the entire left side of the screen had an orange glow which you could see whenever there were dark colors in the area. I exchanged it for a new one which was even worse. I decided to just return it. I really love the size of the screen, but the backlight bleeding was just too much. For $1000 the screen better be close to perfect. I'm going to wait and see what Dell's offering is like.

EDIT: I also had the problem with the screen not going to sleep, but continually turning off and on as well. I even used a different cable than the one that came with it.

In regards to the sleep issue - what worked for me (and it was mentioned a couple pages back) was going into the Power Options via the Control Panel and changing the "Turn off Display" setting to "Never." Prior I had it set to turn off the display at 1 hour and put my computer to sleep after 2 hours - manually inserting sleep mode worked fine but letting the computer idle did not and it would cause the cycling issue many people here seem to have.

I have not had the monitor power cycle since, so if you haven't tried it then I would recommend doing so with a screen saver after 15-20 minutes of idle or a quick computer auto-sleep timer (1 hour) set.

Here's my LG 35UC97. The curve looks cool. But probably not worth $300 over the flat one. I'm happy with it though.

Does the curved model have VESA mounting screws? I couldn't find any reference to them in the user's guide.

VESA mount is a requirement for my sit/stand Ergotron workstation. I know that the flat version is mountable.

As of right now, the curved monitor does not come with a VESA Mount, and the um95 does.
Apparently, you will have to contact LG directly to get the VESA Mount adapter.

Does the curved model have VESA mounting screws? I couldn't find any reference to them in the user's guide.

VESA mount is a requirement for my sit/stand Ergotron workstation. I know that the flat version is mountable.

No. The curved 34UC97 does not have VESA holes, though there is supposedly an optional adapter (LG product page states 100x100 VESA support). The curved 34UC87 does have VESA holes, but is not as readily available.

No. The curved 34UC97 does not have VESA holes, though there is supposedly an optional adapter (LG product page states 100x100 VESA support). The curved 34UC87 does have VESA holes, but is not as readily available.

I'm actually very curious on this adapter. I don't see any place on the back of the curved model to have an adapter mounted to it. What I'm worried about is the lack of height adjustment on the curved model.

Hey guys. I'm very very tempted to get this monitor. My cc info is already I putted. But now I'm having some buyers remorse. I was really looking forward to getting a 30" 4k display. Especially with the samsungs and asus 28" 60hz units being so affordable. What are your thoughts for going with this smaller res unit? Not being able to view native 4k content on the screen. Etc. it looks so beautiful though. But I can almost get two 4k displays for the price of this.

I'm actually very curious on this adapter. I don't see any place on the back of the curved model to have an adapter mounted to it. What I'm worried about is the lack of height adjustment on the curved model.

34UC97_medium_13.jpg

34UC97_medium_15.jpg

On the back of the display do you see where the stand "connects" ? My understanding is that that piece is replaced with bracket that has the VESA mount on it.

The only way that a 100x100mm adapter could work, is if it is designed to attach directly to the same location used to attach the monitor stand. I'm sure it's possible, if such an adapter actually exists.

EDIT: Oops, yeah.. what iRevert just said :)

I hope we see this VESA mount on this soon. For the mean time, I'm going to remove the mount and store it in my closet until the mount is released.

for those who have the 34UM95, just curious.... how do you connect the builtin speakers? Ive ready that if you use HDMI, you only get 50Hz.... so if you use DP, do you need to run some type of audio cable in to get the sound? or is that not possible?

for those who have the 34UM95, just curious.... how do you connect the builtin speakers? Ive ready that if you use HDMI, you only get 50Hz.... so if you use DP, do you need to run some type of audio cable in to get the sound? or is that not possible?

Displayport supports audio as well.

Displayport supports audio as well.

So connected to DisplayPort, the LG UM94/95 and UC87/97 all get audio to the built-in speakers this way?

That'd be awesome to only need 2 cables (power and video/audio).

So connected to DisplayPort, the LG UM94/95 and UC87/97 all get audio to the built-in speakers this way?

That'd be awesome to only need 2 cables (power and video/audio).

YES, Display Port provides audio. Just one cable from your Video Card is enough.

YES, Display Port provides audio. Just one cable from your Video Card is enough.

awesome. thanks! How do these speakers compare to the IMACs speakers? I have theoriginal 27" imac, and the speakers on there more than suffice for 90% of what I do. if it requires more, I'll feed it into my HT system, or some headphones.

I tried the speakers on the monitor and I didn't like them. Supposedly the curved model has better speakers.

I'd probably rate them about as good as using your cell phone's speakers - serviceable, but no depth. very tinny and empty sounding

The only way that a 100x100mm adapter could work, is if it is designed to attach directly to the same location used to attach the monitor stand. I'm sure it's possible, if such an adapter actually exists.

EDIT: Oops, yeah.. what iRevert just said :)

I'm fairly sure I've seen an image of that piece somewhere but I can't for the life of me remember where. I think its either a direct bolt on or you remove the stand portion and use the swivel bracket to attach to the VESA mount.

Has anyone gone from 3x monitors setup to a single 21:9 monitor and found gaming experience to be more enjoyably? Going from 3x monitors to a single one would surely reduce total resumption and improve performance, but is that the only reason?

At first I was repulsed by the idea of 21:9 gaming, but now I wonder if it really has something to it...

Has anyone gone from 3x monitors setup to a single 21:9 monitor and found gaming experience to be more enjoyably? Going from 3x monitors to a single one would surely reduce total resumption and improve performance, but is that the only reason?

At first I was repulsed by the idea of 21:9 gaming, but now I wonder if it really has something to it...

I actually went from 3x displays down to just one and then had the chance to try out a 34UM95 for a week.

Honestly I enjoyed having a dedicated gaming monitor just because it felt more suited to my needs, from a productivity standpoint that UM95 was just insane and made me bump it up on the food chain to purchase. I'm not saying its bad but when you buy a "gaming" monitor and then go from it to one of these you just feel like its slightly lacking.

YMMV of course but come this Black Friday/Cyber Monday I'll be running two displays and flipping the LG out of the way when I want to do any serious fast paced gaming.

I tried the speakers on the monitor and I didn't like them. Supposedly the curved model has better speakers.

Odd that you say that, the speakers on my 29-inch are absolutely exceptional for a monitor, I typically use Logitech Z-5500s and the speakers on this monitor sounded great IMO, in comparison.

Really depends on the game. If you play anything fast paced like first person shooters then you are better off with gsync or high frame rate monitors and maybe adding monitors on the side for peripheral vision. If however you spend a lot of time playing racing, simulation, diablo, rpg, etc type games where it isn't as important to have high frame rate then the immersion is really nice if you dislike bezels getting in the way.

I think overall cost will be pretty similar. the monitors for 3 X setup with a center high frame rate monitor and the need for more sli with high end graphics cards will probably equal the overall cost of an ultrawide UHD that should work fine with just one high end card or 2 x sli.

I went from surround to this 34UM95 - and I'm someone who actually enjoyed surround for that 1+ year of use

It's a good alternative - not a replacement.

Surround still is king in immersion - because it purely overloads your peripheral vision with more than you could possibly see. 3440x1440 is just the right size to fill it in comparison

BUT, not having bezels does feel vastly different. coming from surround, the UM95 will feel very small. At first, it didn't feel like anything special at all honestly. But after a while I realized it was the lack of bezels that gave a more natural viewing experience. I could tune out bezels very easily on surround, but not having them just made me mentally think "oh I'm on a 'normal' monitor again"

This lets you view the wide FOV naturally, so you don't think about it and just get immersed and play.

I've thought about going back to surround with 3 ROG Swifts for g-sync, but I keep telling myself not too because of the side monitor distortion...and the availability/cost of 3 ROG Swifts

I'm running the LG 34UM95 monitor with 2 different computers. I know each of these is pretty much an edge-case for [H], but maybe it'll help someone.

1) 2010 Mac Pro with EVGA 680, latest web drivers and via DisplayPort.

I was having terrible sleep issues with Mavericks. Rather than wake, the display would show an all black screen with the mouse cursor on the screen and functional, in that you could move it about. I had to manually toggle the power button on the MP while hitting keyboard keys in an effort to wake properly. Upgrading to Yosemite and using either the OS drivers, or the latest Nvidia web drivers solved all of my issues and everything works great now.

2) Gaming PC with reference NV 980's in SLI, DisplayPort to Asus ThunderboltEX II card. Thunderbolt 2 to the LG display. PC is using Windows 8.1 and NV 344.16 drivers.

This setup works perfectly and I've never had any sleep issues.

This makes sense. I tested with HDMI and had no sleep issues. Thunderbolt appears to have no issues as well. This is strictly a DisplayPort issue. If you removed the adapter from your gaming pc and ran a DP cable I can almost guarantee you would see the issue.

I've got a spare monitor at work that is DisplayPort capable that I'm going to borrow for the night. This test will eliminate the GPU, and cable if the monitor behaves properly. I'm not sure what results I want from this test as I'd rather not deal with LG's customer service.

Odd that you say that, the speakers on my 29-inch are absolutely exceptional for a monitor, I typically use Logitech Z-5500s and the speakers on this monitor sounded great IMO, in comparison.

Yes, they are (on my 34UM65) better than most flat panel speakers. I hook my Roku up and have never found the sound wanting. Which is not to say I'll use them full time, just that you could do a lot worse. I've had LG TV panels with worse speakers than this.

I tried compsource but they charge tax to CA. comes out to 989.00 with the free shipping for me. Thanks for the heads up though.

CompSource has it for $920 shipped right now.. was $910 last night. Lowest I've seen so far, counting shipping, taxes, deals, etc.

Got mine for 999.99. but man, I love it so far. its so wide.

15426207129_2d5ce82ceb_b.jpg

Back