$1160 4080 vs $910 7900 XTX???

Some have 2 hdmi 2.1, asus TUF for example:
https://www.asus.com/motherboards-c.../tuf-gaming/tuf-rtx4080-o16g-gaming/techspec/

Yes x 2 (Native HDMI 2.1a)
Yes x 3 (Native DisplayPort 1.4a)
HDCP Support Yes (2.3)
I just find the 4090 more compelling over a 4080. I get the performance of a 4080, cheaper cost, more VRam, better display outputs. 4080 in my case was a no go. I had both the ASUS 4090 and XFX 7800XTX Merc at Newegg, Bestbuy and Amazon, whoever became available wins and that was obviously the 7900XTX. Which turned out better than I expected.

Of course that was when all of those were still scarce.

I've got both cards in my Amazon cart right now. Still haven't decided which to buy, tho I'm leaning 7900XTX. The price is screaming "BUY ME NOW, DAMN YOU!!!" :D
Just get the 7900xtx, UV tuning and call it a day. If a 7900xt edges the 4080 the 7900xtx can crush it.

I've got both cards in my Amazon cart right now. Still haven't decided which to buy, tho I'm leaning 7900XTX. The price is screaming "BUY ME NOW, DAMN YOU!!!" :D
I would get the 4080. The 7900 XTX is for when you can't afford the 4080. If one can buy two cards and compare, then it's a no brainer to me.

The 7900 series has too many bugs, problems and lacks features - especially in the productivity sphere. As much as I despise Nvidia greed - gimping cards, 4080 included in that - it's just better architecture - the cards are more efficient and you get more features /options for the $$.

I guess that is my 'productivity hat' talking and bitterness of it not being up to par - but, those cards are still expensive - just because they're a bit cheaper than 4080s/4090s - it doesn't meant it doesn't have issues or deficiencies.

7900 XTX for long term usage, 4080 for a shorter term. With a 4080 having only one HDMI 2.1 port and DP 1.4. I found too limiting. Having ability to drive two high bitrate monitors, future VR/AT headsets (that is if AMD can fix their subpar performance in VR), makes the 4080 a no go.

For a 1 to 2 year card I would have gone with the 4080. Really for Nvidia lineup, the best deal is the 4090. Except I had the same issue with the display outputs. Now a ASUS 4090 Tuff with 2 HDMI 2.1 ports would be a good compromised.

My recommendation is 7900XTX or the 4090, not 4080.
Two 'high bit rate' monitors? Aren't the high idle consumption/dual montior (problems when using different refresh rates on the montiors) still going on? AFAIK, it is. AMD takes forever to fix issues - regardless of what it is - and it spans a lot of different tech. and situations.

Input lag now is a good feature? LoL
RT adding latency isn't a big issue these days assuming you build the pc appropriately for the resolution you're using, this was an issue in the past 2 generations. On my setup at 4K 120hz, I can get 4K 120 FPS in just about any game with RT enabled.

Last edited:
I would get the 4080. The 7900 XTX is for when you can't afford the 4080. If one can buy two cards and compare, then it's a no brainer to me.

The 7900 series has too many bugs, problems and lacks features - especially in the productivity sphere. As much as I despise Nvidia greed - gimping cards, 4080 included in that - it's just better architecture - the cards are more efficient and you get more features /options for the $$.

I guess that is my 'productivity hat' talking and bitterness of it not being up to par - but, those cards are still expensive - just because they're a bit cheaper than 4080s/4090s - it doesn't meant it doesn't have issues or deficiencies.
Can you tell me more about the “bugs”?

Follow up:

"Hey, I have a similar build as you and experienced a the same issue.
The games I was having this problem in were Battlefield 2042 and Dead Space. As you mentioned, I would watch my GPU LED's shut off, the CPU debug light turns on, yet all fans continued to spin until I used the power reset switch on my PSU to reboot.
I was so certain that it was a driver issue or a GPU defect, but I discovered one thing that I didn't consider before: I disabled core performance boost in the BIOS of my motherboard.
After that, I no longer had this issue! Hope this helps."

Quoted a second hand reprint, try finding the original article. Try and actually find someone experiencing "strange bugs" since you don't have the card yourself. I don't have any of these issues, if it was rampant there would be a lot more being said about this dated, random January hit piece by one site. Notice that there is no followup article.

REPRINT OF ABOVE actually stating MLID as the source.

From headline "RARE". the only thing presented is a 3dmark demo.
I suspect improper driver install/ cleanup.

Yeah, I had black screens occasionally too when I first built my system - a slight de-tune via PBO offset fixed that. Big deal.

So basically you have no real experience with a 7900xt/x and just look for random articles. I see. Maybe you should re-think your critique method. Try and actually get off the trolliing headlines news sites and get some experience using a product before bitching.

That's a sample.

Please post more links to hype your agenda.

Last edited:
Comparison with probably close to up-to-date drivers (level1 saw significant change weekly with those cards, making looking at benchmark alway a rough estimate), with many very recent titles:

I own both a 4090 and a 7900XTX (Reference) with the 7900XTX driving a 4K OLED in my HTPC. The 4090 is in my primary desktop driving a 1440p Ultrawide. Gaming is absolutely fantastic on both and I have never noticed the 7900XTX holding anything back so far and I play some of the newest graphically demanding AAA games. It's nice to turn some of the knobs that NV offers occasionally but with FSR3 coming out soon you'll get something similar with AMD.

Conclusion: If strictly gaming, 7900XTX. If any content creation or AI projects, 4080.

Well I have a 3090 and 7900XTX and the 7900XTX crushes it silly. Including most RT games I own. The 7900XTX so far has been problem free, do like the drivers overall, interface is way more useful than Nvidia’s. Not sure what extra features I am really missing? What DLSS? I avoided DLSS as much as possible unless it was needed or gave a benefit like in Rise Of The Tomb Raider which had crap AA. RT? Lol not really, I gained performance in games I’ve used it other than Control but played that game already.

Really, someone list the so called extra features? Since I own both, I feel more like AMD has the extra features I use.

Right, 'random' articles. That moron asked for some - so, I posted a few. He expects I'm going to spend my time posting a million articles? Yeah, okay. Enjoy your card, man. :)

Seriously do you even have the card? I got the reference 7900xtx in my system. literally no issues, not any more then nvidia would have when it comes to some game bugs that both plug every release. Everything works fine. I have a 4090 in main rig.

Seriously do you even have the card? I got the reference 7900xtx in my system. literally no issues, not any more then nvidia would have when it comes to some game bugs that both plug every release. Everything works fine. I have a 4090 in main rig.
I read a lot of problems with the cards - from hotspot/junction temps, bugs/crashes/stuttering - the cards failing in VR etc. - so, I just offered my findings. The response: "I must have an agenda.' As if I care. Fanboys are the absolute worst type - they have some psychological problem - unless they work for the company or maybe a relative? I don't care if they are ga-ga for Nvidia or AMD. It's the same. The other issue I have with AMD cards is the lack of support on the productivity side and that's an annoyance for me - I don't think that proves "I have an agenda either.' People who conclude that have a screw loose.

I don't have one of those cards but I've researched them extensively - because I want an AMD card- the 7900 xt or xtx - to be all-around solid for both gaming AND productivity - so Nvidia has competition. Yeah, I must have an agenda.... tsk. :)

I already said many times how Nvidia gimp their cards and they're overpriced. My Nvidia card was purchased, used. What is my agenda anyway? :-O

I read a lot of problems with the cards - from hotspot/junction temps, bugs/crashes/stuttering - the cards failing in VR etc. - so, I just offered my findings. The response: "I must have an agenda.' As if I care. Fanboys are the absolute worst type - they have some psychological problem - unless they work for the company or maybe a relative? I don't care if they are ga-ga for Nvidia or AMD. It's the same. The other issue I have with AMD cards is the lack of support on the productivity side and that's an annoyance for me - I don't think that proves "I have an agenda either.' People who conclude that have a screw loose.

I don't have one of those cards but I've researched them extensively - because I want an AMD card- the 7900 xt or xtx - to be all-around solid for both gaming AND productivity - so Nvidia has competition. Yeah, I must have an agenda.... tsk. :)

I already said many times how Nvidia gimp their cards and they're overpriced. My Nvidia card was purchased, used. What is my agenda anyway? :-O

You realize hotspot junction temp is non issue now it was limited to some reference cards that AMD just paused and no issue with AIB card. Cards weren't failing in VR, sure they can do better which is to do list for AMD. bugs crashing stuttering, you can find that with nvidia too, literally none of that here. That happens with certain games, lets stop pretending like you have never seen Nvidia's fixed and known issues.

I didn't say you had an agenda, i asked if you had a card. it doesn't seem like you do.

My first 7900XTX had the hotspot issue. Still could game on it enjoyably, though. AMD cross shipped me a replacement and everything with the new card has been perfect. Sucks a little bit that I had to go through that but it wasn't a big deal in the end since I wasn't cardless for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
David-Duc might want to take a peek on Amazon... seems like there is $100 coupon code for the Sapphire Pulse Edition RX 7900 XTX on Amazon. That brings it down to $899 usd, so just a liiiiiitle bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11322-02-20G-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B0BR6HZZ6Z

*edit note. You may need to copy n' paste that link. I noticed that when I click it, as a Canadian, I get directed to Amazon.ca instead of .com.
That's a good deal for an XTX. I paid $1000 for mine on release day and still feel raw about it, but it's been a fantastic card (I had to return the first as it was a first batch had the heat plate issue) and will last me a good while.

As for the 4080 vs 7900 xtx, it's all about how much you care about RT. I don't much currently, and xtx can do RT, so no way is 4080 worth the extra money. Also, AMD has a really nice integrated UI and UX experience now, better than nV.

David-Duc might want to take a peek on Amazon... seems like there is $100 coupon code for the Sapphire Pulse Edition RX 7900 XTX on Amazon. That brings it down to $899 usd, so just a liiiiiitle bit cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-11322-02-20G-Radeon-Gaming-Graphics/dp/B0BR6HZZ6Z

*edit note. You may need to copy n' paste that link. I noticed that when I click it, as a Canadian, I get directed to Amazon.ca instead of .com.
Thanks man, it is official… I just push the order button and it should arrive tomorrow. This is my first time having an all "red" computer again since ATI Radeon 9800 Pro and AMD Athlon 64 3000+. My last AMD card was an HD4890 with a Core 2 Quad Q9550 (I think). Just on principle I don't want to give nvidia my money because we used to be able to get the BEST card for $999 and the one below isn't too far behind (980 Ti vs Titan X, 1080 Ti vs Titan Xp?) yet still affordable. $699 in 2017 is only $900 ish in today's dollar. It's good to see that everyone still get all fired up debating video cards :D
1687369222365.png

I own both a 4090 and a 7900XTX (Reference) with the 7900XTX driving a 4K OLED in my HTPC. The 4090 is in my primary desktop driving a 1440p Ultrawide. Gaming is absolutely fantastic on both and I have never noticed the 7900XTX holding anything back so far and I play some of the newest graphically demanding AAA games. It's nice to turn some of the knobs that NV offers occasionally but with FSR3 coming out soon you'll get something similar with AMD.

Conclusion: If strictly gaming, 7900XTX. If any content creation or AI projects, 4080.
You mind tell me how the 7900 XTX does in Da Vinci Resolve? That's the only "production/content creation" I occasionally use for personal/family travel videos.

You mind tell me how the 7900 XTX does in Da Vinci Resolve? That's the only "production/content creation" I occasionally use for personal/family travel videos.

There is news that AMD is going to allow professional stuff on all their consumer GPUs soon and open of ROCm to everything. RDNA3 should get the support too. I think 6800 and 6900 series cards are already supported.

Does it have a benchmark? I did a quick Google search and it looks like PugetBench is something that might work?

Amazon now has $98 discount coupon with the XFX 7900XTX. Price before tax $882. :eek:

EDIT: Must've been a glitch in the matrix. Code no longer valid.

EDIT2: Must've been another glitch, cuz it's back. Order placed. We'll see if it goes through.

EDIT3: 20 minutes, still no confirmation, no pre-authorization on my card. My guess -- it ain't happening.

Last edited:
Amazon now has $98 discount coupon with the XFX 7900XTX. Price before tax $882. :eek:

EDIT: Must've been a glitch in the matrix. Code no longer valid.

EDIT2: Must've been another glitch, cuz it's back. Order placed. We'll see if it goes through.

EDIT3: 20 minutes, still no confirmation, no pre-authorization on my card. My guess -- it ain't happening.

it is definitely working. got all the way to checkout with it.

it is definitely working. got all the way to checkout with it.
My order still hasn't been confirmed, but I just placed a new one and it went through smoothly. Now, gotta make sure I don't get charged twice.

Another reason I chose XFX was their 3-year warranty. Sapphire's is 2 years.

My order still hasn't been confirmed, but I just placed a new one and it went through smoothly. Now, gotta make sure I don't get charged twice.

Another reason I chose XFX was their 3-year warranty. Sapphire's is 2 years.

looks like 7900xtx nitro has 100 dollar coupon too. Some good deals on the 7900xtx's indeed.

XFX hands down a deal though at that price lmao.

I'm in Linux where DLSS 2 works but ray tracing seems to be MIA under most Windows games (running under Steam Play / Proton), so I would go with AMD for that specific use case but it's kind of niche.

The XFX card is sweet cool and quiet with lots of vram. I bought two gave one to a friend for a deal he loves it. They do guzzle wattage unless you frame limit them at 90-100 fps.

So I was wrong, my last AMD card was a HD 6850, Asus EAH6850 DirectCU to be precise... still have some old pics of it. And with the new one...

Attachments

• IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    537.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1620.JPG
    IMG_1620.JPG
    486.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Sapphire RX 7900 XTX (2).JPEG
    Sapphire RX 7900 XTX (2).JPEG
    620.7 KB · Views: 1
I'm in Linux where DLSS 2 works but ray tracing seems to be MIA under most Windows games (running under Steam Play / Proton), so I would go with AMD for that specific use case but it's kind of niche.
RT works fine in Linux for the most part. Just need to enter some commands into the game's Steam properties. Check protondb for more info if interested.

There is news that AMD is going to allow professional stuff on all their consumer GPUs soon and open of ROCm to everything. RDNA3 should get the support too. I think 6800 and 6900 series cards are already supported.
Source?

Does it have a benchmark? I did a quick Google search and it looks like PugetBench is something that might work?
Supposedly, it crashes a lot in Davinci Resolve. It might be the only productivity program in which it might perform adequately (when they don't crash the program). Otherwise, these cards look like strictly gaming cards. $1000+ for a gaming card!!!! Woo hoo!!!

Supposedly, it crashes a lot in Davinci Resolve. It might be the only productivity program in which it might perform adequately (when they don't crash the program). Otherwise, these cards look like strictly gaming cards. $1000+ for a gaming card!!!! Woo hoo!!!
Just tried stitching 30 videos together at 2560x1440 (old gopro don't really have usable 4k) and render it into an hour long video. Seems to be fine and doesn't have any issue comparing to the ole 3080. DaVinci Resolve 16 and latest Adrenaline driver. You do seems to be pushing an agenda here bro.

Once you have to deal with $200k computers and storage systems... It is just a video card to play video games. And I refuse to pay the "why not, they'll pay whatever we want" tax from both AMD and nVIDIA. Had AMD not been discounting those 7900 XTX, I'd have been happy rocking the 3080 for at least another year.

Just tried stitching 30 videos together at 2560x1440 (old gopro don't really have usable 4k) and render it into an hour long video. Seems to be fine and doesn't have any issue comparing to the ole 3080. DaVinci Resolve 16 and latest Adrenaline driver. You do seems to be pushing an agenda here bro.

Once you have to deal with $200k computers and storage systems... It is just a video card to play video games. And I refuse to pay the "why not, they'll pay whatever we want" tax from both AMD and nVIDIA. Had AMD not been discounting those 7900 XTX, I'd have been happy rocking the 3080 for at least another year.
No agenda. There's YT videos of ppl who had crashes with the 7900 XTX (and I read of other sites - ppl reporting the same) - perhaps, that's from older drivers, I dunno. Good to hear it's working.

Back