Zune HD- 15% off

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=1554399

NEW! Microsoft Zune HD 16GB for $187 (or $181.39 w/ DPA) Shipped or 32GB for $246.50 (or $239.10 w/ DPA) Shipped AC + Tax at Dell
In the Cart, please use Coupon Code: 6FWJ247J1P44CK to Save 15%

I canceled my Amazon preorder for this...

supposedly it ships a bit later than Amazon... but I dont mind the wait... it will give me more time to see how the early adopters like it..

:D

edit: my estimated delivery date is october 5th.... so a bit of a wait for me.... just something to keep in mind!

If this was about 3 months ago prior when I still had my HTC touch Pro and didnt switch to an iPhone I would be all over it. I loved my zune before it broke, maybe in the future microsoft maybe.

If this was about 3 months ago prior when I still had my HTC touch Pro and didnt switch to an iPhone I would be all over it. I loved my zune before it broke, maybe in the future microsoft maybe.

Then im in your old boat. :D

I have a pro and want this puppy. :D

Its tempting, but I already have an iPhone.

Microsoft finally makes a Zune that can compete, but its a bit late. The smart phone shrinks the MP3 player market.

Will Microsoft release a black 64GB Zune HD or is platinum their "premium" color?

supposedly the HDs will be available in 5 different colors after release....

and nobody knows when they'll have a 64GB.... but until then, thats one major advantage that apple has over the microsoft right now.....

Is it really a major advantage? I just don't see a lot of people lining up to pay $400 for 64GB.

Is it really a major advantage? I just don't see a lot of people lining up to pay $400 for 64GB.

bragging rights/halo product?

same principle applies to high end video cards, and god knows, people on these boards obsess over those... even though less than 1% ever buy em :)

even though the iTouch doesnt do HD output to TVs, dont forget, good HD video takes up tons of space.... and adding more than a few to a zune HD, even at 64GB would fill that space fast....

OH...YOU...you called it an iTouch. :(

ipodtouch.jpg

More space maybe? 32GBs isn't very much for even a music collection.

2yxlkyu.jpg

(Isn't that a coincidence. :D)

For a portable media player, I think sub-4000 songs is quite enough. Say you go lossless with an average bitrate of 1000kbps, that's still over 1000 songs @ 4 minutes.

My collection of music is over 50 gigs and none of it is lossless. I just like being able to have my whole collection on a portable device so that it could also double as a backup but just to keep your favorite songs on then yes 32GBs is more than enough.

I just like being able to have my whole collection on a portable device so that it could also double as a backup but just to keep your favorite songs on then yes 32GBs is more than enough.

I agree, but for those of us that have more than 32GB (oh hey look, almost 500GB here), that's just not feasable.

bragging rights/halo product?

same principle applies to high end video cards, and god knows, people on these boards obsess over those... even though less than 1% ever buy em :)

even though the iTouch doesnt do HD output to TVs, dont forget, good HD video takes up tons of space.... and adding more than a few to a zune HD, even at 64GB would fill that space fast....

The Zune HD Gets the HD tag from the HD radio built in not a high res screen. On a screen that small a huge resolution isn't really that big of a benefit.

Maybe not, but the contrast should make flic watching an awesome experience. 1 full feature film @ 2000Kbps video/320Kbps audio like the first Transformers proved to be nearly 1.7GB, so I could have 4 more of those and about 7GB left over for some lossless tunes, games, apps, and whatever else they let me stuff on there. 16GB is PLENTY for me.

The Zune HD Gets the HD tag from the HD radio built in not a high res screen. On a screen that small a huge resolution isn't really that big of a benefit.

i think the HD is from the 1080p it is supposedly able to stream thanks to the tegra platform.

When did the Zune start doing 1080p? Everything I've read thus far points to 720p if and only if you buy the $$ adapter.

I want one...but I also want a 64gb one.

I have a 32gb ipod touch and it is pushing it, I like to have most of my music and a few videos usually on trips.

Why don't these things have a couple of microSDHC slots? Three or four of those and you could have all the memory you want from stupid cheap.

i can deal with not having all my music...

but i'd much rather prefer 64 gigs of space :/

I wonder if my Zune 80 dies in less than a year and it gets replaced with a Zune HD (as per my extended warranty)? :D Now THAT would be sexy. AND i bet theyd have 64 gig versions out by then :D

Why don't these things have a couple of microSDHC slots? Three or four of those and you could have all the memory you want from stupid cheap.
Because then they couldn't sell you a 64GB version for an extra $200 of which 70% is probably profit.

When did the Zune start doing 1080p? Everything I've read thus far points to 720p if and only if you buy the $$ adapter.

the tegra platform is supposed to be able to do 1080p video, i figured zune would be able to output at that res. i guess not.

Tegra 650's speced for 1080p and looks to be shoved into mobile internet devices. Tegra APX 2600 goes into smartphones and our beloved Zune HD; it does 720p. Jason Cross goes into more specs in that PC World article. Nvidia's site lists programmable pixel shader for these things. That's Geforce 3 level stuff, wicked.

Last edited:
I bit on the 32gb "platinum" and the AV package. Neither my Pre, nor my iPhone before that, really gave me the portable media player I wanted. I'm sick of not being able to listen to radio (just wish it carried AM...).

If Tegra can perform the equivalent of Geforce 3, it should be able to handle Xbox-caliber graphics. Ninja Gaiden on Zune... awesome.

Now, how would I go about importing my iTunes files to the Zune software? Is that possible?

Dell? *shudders*

Not a bad deal but I've had terrible experiences ordering from Dell. No repeat business from me...

Dell? *shudders*

Not a bad deal but I've had terrible experiences ordering from Dell. No repeat business from me...

Agreed. Their off-shored CS is utterly useless for even the simplest issues and often belligerant. They're also complicit with Nvidia's rebranding scam: they often charge $100+ for the same rebranded card (e.g., 8800m GTX, 9800m GT)

So far, however, my problems have been only with PCs and laptop purchases/upgrade, not with 3rd party merchandise so I'm willing to give them a shot.

anyone know how the zune hd stacks against the new ipod touch or iphone 3gs?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1440740

The Zune HD discussion thread, chock full of all the information we (meaning us folks that have been on top of it for a few months now) have to offer and worth reading from start to finish.

Leaving the 64GB iPod touch out of the equation and comparing the Zune HD with the 32GB iPod touch introduced a few days ago directly, the Zune HD basically trashes in all most every area: better battery life, better quality screen (sorry, but OLED trounces traditional LCD tech and uses less power while having noticeably better image quality), it's smaller, it's lighter, it's capable of more things out of the box (save for Bluetooth support, I suppose), and with the upcoming apps and gaming, it's a serious contender now.

Apple basically did nothing of consequence with the "new" iPod touch models introduced a few days ago except make 'em a bit faster (still way behind what the Zune HD is capable of), added OpenGL support (Tegra = still way ahead), and that's about it. Even the battery life is worse now on the 3rd generation iPod touch - it's down to 30 hours audio/6 hours video, which is less than the 2nd generation from last year.

Read through the Zune HD thread here for more details...

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1440740

The Zune HD discussion thread, chock full of all the information we (meaning us folks that have been on top of it for a few months now) have to offer and worth reading from start to finish.

Leaving the 64GB iPod touch out of the equation and comparing the Zune HD with the 32GB iPod touch introduced a few days ago directly, the Zune HD basically trashes in all most every area: better battery life, better quality screen (sorry, but OLED trounces traditional LCD tech and uses less power while having noticeably better image quality), it's smaller, it's lighter, it's capable of more things out of the box (save for Bluetooth support, I suppose), and with the upcoming apps and gaming, it's a serious contender now.

Apple basically did nothing of consequence with the "new" iPod touch models introduced a few days ago except make 'em a bit faster (still way behind what the Zune HD is capable of), added OpenGL support (Tegra = still way ahead), and that's about it. Even the battery life is worse now on the 3rd generation iPod touch - it's down to 30 hours audio/6 hours video, which is less than the 2nd generation from last year.

Read through the Zune HD thread here for more details...

Yeah but the Zune HD has no where near the amount of apps the iphone/ipod touch does. Also, the screen is smaller, isnt it?

Last edited:
I bit on the 32gb "platinum" and the AV package. Neither my Pre, nor my iPhone before that, really gave me the portable media player I wanted. I'm sick of not being able to listen to radio (just wish it carried AM...).

If Tegra can perform the equivalent of Geforce 3, it should be able to handle Xbox-caliber graphics. Ninja Gaiden on Zune... awesome.

Now, how would I go about importing my iTunes files to the Zune software? Is that possible?

if they were songs purchased from itunes (i'm thinkin aac files), the easiest way (in terms of what you need to learn, not effort) would be to burn all your music to cds and then rip them from zune. if they're just regular old mp3s, just point the zune software to your itunes library.

Yeah but the Zune HD has no where near the amount of apps the iphone/ipod touch does. Also, the screen is smaller, isnt it?

See, I knew someone would bring that up about the apps. We simply don't know what Microsoft has planned, but we're going to find out on Tuesday.

Maybe we'll get lucky and discover they've found a way to allow people to use most every PocketPC app ever created on the Zune HD, who knows. Doing so would instantly put the Zune HD so far ahead it would take another 6 months for the App Store to catch up... ;)

As for the screen size, the Zune HD is smaller and lighter than the iPod touch (any version), so yes, the viewable screen size is smaller as well, and slightly lower on the resolution - but when watching "widescreen" movies on the device, you don't end up with letterboxing as you do on the iPod touches... might not be any content there to see on the iPods, but it's drawing battery life to power those extra "black" pixels just the same. ;)

See, I knew someone would bring that up about the apps. We simply don't know what Microsoft has planned, but we're going to find out on Tuesday.

Maybe we'll get lucky and discover they've found a way to allow people to use most every PocketPC app ever created on the Zune HD, who knows. Doing so would instantly put the Zune HD so far ahead it would take another 6 months for the App Store to catch up... ;)

As for the screen size, the Zune HD is smaller and lighter than the iPod touch (any version), so yes, the viewable screen size is smaller as well, and slightly lower on the resolution - but when watching "widescreen" movies on the device, you don't end up with letterboxing as you do on the iPod touches... might not be any content there to see on the iPods, but it's drawing battery life to power those extra "black" pixels just the same. ;)

yeah but like pocket PC apps are not as consumer orientated as iphone/ipod touch apps are, like there are soooo many cool apps on iphone etc etc. If microsoft allows the use of apps without restrictions, that will be great. As for a comment earlier about the xbox graphics thing, it would be pretty hard to play some xbox games on a touch screen. Meh. I just want to decide whether to get a ipod touch 3g or a zune. ATM im sitting on the touch, but lets wait till the 15th to make final decisions.

actually i think that though the gpu on the zune hd is better the touch has the better cpu

The Tegra in the Zune HD is the most powerful processor and graphics processor currently available in any PMP device of any kind on the market today. There is nothing out there that compares (except of course the more powerful Tegras). :D

It's a "System on a Chip" (aka SoC) and nothing can touch it...

I know.

I cannot wait to shake a baby to death again.

there's an app for that.

I think the 5th time I saw a textbased mmo on the top downloaded in the apple app store is when I quit being such a fan of it.

Let the Apple Cult keep thinking different (as long as they keep thinking just the way Apple wants 'em to, that is). If the Zune HD is the last best hope for a PMP by Microsoft, so be it. I'm gonna be different and do it my way this time...

/me thinks he needs to contact Microsoft and sell 'em on that "Be Different" campaign... it could work.

Had to bite on the 32GB as I haven't had an mp3 player in many years. Will be awesome on all the wheeling trips, skipping CDs suck! Hopefully it ships on release day.

Heck of a deal, thanks OP!

Back