Zotac Z68 build experience

Exocet956

[H]ard|Gawd
I am currently rebuilding my HTPC and I thought I would share some experiences.
My primary goals in rebuilding my htpc are add more storage to my existing htpc while adding efi bios support for <3tb hdd support, including having usb 3.0 and esata. While simultaneously adding a little cpu horsepower. I also wish for over clocking support. The board that seems to fit the bill is the Zotac Z68 A-E.

After all the horror stories of bad zotac z68 boards I stumbled on a solution. Ewiiz currently is currently offering a code for free assembly and testing of systems. My plan is to have them weed out doa boards and boards with bad ram slots.

Now at this point you may be asking why should I care just another build right? Well the things that will most likely interest you are a. I will not be using the wireless card in the Mpci-e slot but this instead Mini PCIe Sata. and b. Using the onboard usb 3.0 front panel connector with this USB 3.0 converter with this USB 3.0 Internal sata adapter.

The reason why you ask? I need more that 4 sata ports. I wanted to find a Z68 board that allowed overclocking (Subject to bios limitations). Had a msata / mini pcie slot that could actually be used for non wireless cards.

The system will have eventually have 6 hdds and one optical drive. I can do this without the bottom hdd cage because of the slim optical/3.5 hdd adaptor I am using in the main 5.25 bay. It currently houses the slim optical and a 2.5 inch drive but the laptop drive can be moved to the often overlooked 2.5 inch mount in the q08 underneath the 5.25 bay. So for those keeping count 4x hdds in the main cage 1x 3.5 hdd in the 5.25 with a slim optical drive and 1x 2.5 in the 2.5 hdd mount.

The sata card has 2 ports. Unfortunately due vertical nature of the slot and the position close to dimm slot #1 the first port may not be usable. I will see if maybe a right angle cable will fix this. I should have enough sata ports but in case I can&#8217;t use them all due to compatibility or port placement I have a backup plan. The usb 3.0 front panel header will allow me after adaptation to use up to two internal usb 3.0 sata adapters in case I am lacking the necessary sata ports to add all these drives. I don&#8217;t think the main cage will allow me to use the usb 3.0 sata adaptors because of the fact that the usb cable when plugged in to the adaptor will not allow the side panel to close. I will see if this is the case.

The internal usb 3.0 option is more of a backup plan in case the board hates the sata controller or more likely that one of the sata ports gets blocked by the 1st dimm slot. The board lacks esata as well.

The Lian li Q08 (at least the version I have has the classic usb 3.0 front ports that require routing to the back of the case. The always seemed like a hack job to me but in this case it wouldn&#8217;t work either if I need the spare pci slot bracket cover to add a esata port. Now I know I can get an usb 3.0 to esata dongle but I always prefer native esata over usb 3.0 any day of the week. The usb 3.0 front panel header adaptor lets me add devices internally usb 3.0 or have the front panel ports on the q08 be usb 3.0.

Old HTPC

Cooler: Coolermaster Gemenii
Cpu: Phenom II 905e
Motherboard: J&W Minix 780g
Ram: 2x2gb ddr2 800 Gskill
Video: Diamond 4770
Hdd 1: 2tb 7200 rpm Hitachi
Hdd 2: 1tb 5400 rpm Samsung 2.5
Optical: Sony bluray combo slim optical w/sata adaptor
Case: Lian Li Q08
Power Supply: Antec Neo 550

New: (intially)

Cooler: H50
Cpu: I5 2500k
Motherboard: Zotac Z68 ITX A-E
Ram: 1x4gb ddr3 1333 Supertalent
Video: Diamond 4770
Hdd 1: 2tb 7200 rpm hitachi
Hdd 2: 1tb 5400 rpm Samsung 2.5&#8221;
Hdd 3: 2tb 5400 rpm Samsung
Hdd 4: 2tb 5400 rpm Samsung
Optical: sony bluray combo slim optical w/sata adaptor
Case: Lian Li Q08
Power Supply: Antec Neo 550

Most people are focusing solely on the overclocking experience and the bios glitches I hope to focus more on the whole package. I do intend to overclock but my main concerns are how to add addition storage both now and future give board/case/ lack of sata port limitations.

Last edited:
There are 2 mini pcie cards on ebay uk. One is SATA II which offers RAID and can boot, the other is a SATA III but no raid. Both are 2 port only. £45 each.

There are 2 mini pcie cards on ebay uk. One is SATA II which offers RAID and can boot, the other is a SATA III but no raid. Both are 2 port only. £45 each.

I actually got it cheaper than newegg at provantage for $40. I just used newegg to link to as they had pictures. Nice thing is standard sata ports plus the Sil3132 chipset is port multiplier aware. Thanks for the info though. Boot support is unknown at this point but i intend to find out. if not i will use if for optical and data drives.

I actually got it cheaper than newegg at provantage for $40. I just used newegg to link to as they had pictures. Nice thing is standard sata ports plus the Sil3132 chipset is port multiplier aware. Thanks for the info though. Boot support is unknown at this point but i intend to find out. if not i will use if for optical and data drives.

I have one of the Startech and it does boot! Has my 2 old Vertex 2E 60's on there in RAID. Even have used in a laptop hehe!

Im in the Uk so your lucky being states side

I have been told time and time again by Zotac that as long as the card conforms to the PCI-SIG specification, the mobo will recognize it.

I also run the Sil-3132 on the Commell board (MPX-3132) and have no issues booting or using the raid features :)

I have been told time and time again by Zotac that as long as the card conforms to the PCI-SIG specification, the mobo will recognize it.

I also run the Sil-3132 on the Commell board (MPX-3132) and have no issues booting or using the raid features :)

I know, your one of my primary inspirations. At least i know it can be done. The Startech controller has the same chipset as the commell but it don't know if it will use the same bios or if it will be bootable. Startech's website makes me believe it can. But only trial and error will know for sure. I was hoping to be a guinea pig of sorts for this controller. I have seen your build i was very impressed. the only thin i didn't like about the comell controller is the proprietary sata cables. This controller takes standard sata. Stupid zotac placing a vertical mPCI-e slot right next to the first dim slot makes this a challenging proposition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230588001439?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I use that now moded with an internal USB header on there. Shows in BIOS, Boots, Installs W7 no problem at all. Least i don't have to worry about addtional SATA ports and extra power cables. 1 cable, job done.

I do plan on the usb 3.0 adapter as a fallback plan but in any case after i add additional two drives i will end up having to use them. The nice thing about the adapter is is practically designed for internal use. Ala slim design standard with sata power internal power plug for the bridge chip.

I do plan on the usb 3.0 adapter as a fallback plan but in any case after i add additional two drives i will end up having to use them. The nice thing about the adapter is is practically designed for internal use. Ala slim design standard with sata power internal power plug for the bridge chip.

The USB 3 internal header socket to normal USB3 internal is coming about now, again plenty on ebay etc. I just think and feel the USB3 till driverless is not the way to go about it sadly

The USB 3 internal header socket to normal USB3 internal is coming about now, again plenty on ebay etc. I just think and feel the USB3 till driverless is not the way to go about it sadly

I agree native all the way but who knows when a Intel chipset with native usb 3.0 support will make it to ITX land let alone native os support. It will be in Windows 8 for sure but we may get lucky and see it in windows 7 in a future service pack.

I agree native all the way but who knows when a Intel chipset with native usb 3.0 support will make it to ITX land let alone native os support. It will be in Windows 8 for sure but we may get lucky and see it in windows 7 in a future service pack.

W8 yes for sure but W8 is going to be like Vista. Too soon, too advanced, way too buggy and should of never happened. Plus do we really need 3d, nope!

W7 maybe, too late really as current USB3 is not bootable untill an install is done i found on the Zotac.

Hi,

It is possible to got some photos? I want to know how you put the H50 hoses.

Hi,

It is possible to got some photos? I want to know how you put the H50 hoses.

I will take some photos when i get it built but Im still waiting on parts. I hear the mod for the backpate for the h50 is easy (there are components on the back of the board by the cpu socket). I will see how it stacks out. i have some thin fans (12mm) I might even be able to manage push pull with this bad boy:D

Okey, so i need wait and see. Because i ordered Antec Kuhler 620 which is identical to the H50.

My currectly setup is now:
i5 2500K | Zotac Z68ITX-A-E | Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) LP | OCZ Vertex 2 120GB + 1T | Palit GTX 580 | Corsair 650HX | Lian-Li PC-Q08B

But i will change that front cooler quieter and with no leds.

You do know it's a pig to fit anything with a backplate on the Zotac due to the placment of the caps, coils, vr's etc?

I think that is possible because that mini-ITX is standard and motherboard is normal height on side panel.

Last edited:
Okay perlimanry reports are in.

I got the h50 mounted after a relativly painless mod. The hardest part of the mod was finding the right tools to mod the bracket and not destroy it. It had been a while since i mounted a h50 so that caused a little head scratching. Once i figured out the bracket does not need to be lined up square to the socket:rolleyes:

Getting the h50 mounted to the q08 was far easier then i remembered, I even managed to get a push pull setup going with sythe 1600rpm 12mm fans. (yes i know not the best pressure wise but seemed to get better air flow then a yate loon medium single fan through the radiator). Let me give all you q08 users a tip. This will make you lives a alot easier by using one of these. power supply extender bracket. If you use a standard length psu it buys you a lot more internal space and gives the top 120mm fan a lot more breathing space.

Both my dimm slots work i don't hear any buzzing so i might have a cherry board. I did learn something though. The front usb 3 connector sucks. Sucks hard. The pins are way smaller than usb 2 header pins and they are way to short. I fubared my connector using a front panel adapter to plugin usb internal cables not realizing it was wholesale bending pins like not tomorrow. It is virtually impossible to bend them back one they are bent because they are so goddamn thin. #*#&# broke off in my damn pliers when i tried to straighten it out. So long story sort front panel usb connectors need to be at least as durable as the usb 2.0 header it replaces:mad:

I haven't overclocked yet but once I've gotten a handle on what my load temps i will start experimenting. I am currently giving it some prime at stock to see what my core temps look at but so far 64 looks to be the highest so far. Not bad considering the fact that its crammed into a q08 with 4 hdds.

I can confirm the mini pci-e slot works with non wifi cards. My sata card works perfectly. In order to use the bottom port you will need to mod the support bracket a little and a right angle sata cable due to clearance issues. top clears the first dimm slot easily. The usb 3.0 adaptor bridges work fine on my laptop drive but my full desktop drive does not get enough power so i will need to find a different adapter.

The bios lets me select both the sata drive connected to mini pci-e adaptor and the usb 3.0 bridge as a boot device which i was delighted at. I haven't tried to actually both from them yet but i was let to believe that usb 3.0 was not bootable. I will test this functionality later.

I am currently at work so no pics yet but i will add them later. I made sure to take pictures of the most important parts.

Last edited:
http://www.zotacusa.com/media/catal...08d6e5fb8d27136e95/z/6/z68itx-a-e__image3.jpg

Hmm... How it is best? First radiator then fan or fan then radiator?

Edit.
Exocet956

You don't need to buy http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12740/cpa-570/Lian_Li_UC-01_USB30_to_20-Pin_Converter_UC-01.html adapter because in Zotac package is that kind of adapter but longer cable: http://www.zotac.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/Z68ITX-A-E _image7-[800x600].JPG on that picture left corner.

Oh how i wish i realized that before fubaring my connector with that damn adapter. I noticed this myself only after realizing what had happened. Well given the cable routing i needed to do and the fact the pins are insanely small/brittle chances are i would have done it with the bracket zotac sent with it. I have not tested to see if both ports are dead the two pins decided to break of maybe one is just ground. I might still have one working port.

The buz/hum is not present when overclocking. It's present under load! Run prime 95 and hear that bitch squeal all the way home!

Told you the mini pcie was bootable. The USB3 is as well but then it stops there as it's driver needed for Windows 7

As promised here are the pics

First up here is the bracket before modding

Here is the modded bracket

Here is the bracket on the board

Here is the bracket over that troublesome components

I hope those pictures help answer any question about the h50 mod. The hardest part for me was finding the right tool that would not end up breaking the bracket in the process.

Last edited:
Here are the pics of the system. Note cable routing is not done yet. I wanted to show the placement of the h50 radiator and push pull fan setup.

Motherboard Pictures

I will need to mod the bracket to clip back the metal so i can use the bottom sata port on the mini pci-e controller. Using a right angle cable it is possible to utilize bottom port i originally though i would not due to the dimm slot proximity but it will work.

Front usb 3.0 connectors are extremely fragile. the pins are thin and short. Note the adapter in this photo yes it fit despite the fact it butted up against rear i/o port cluster. When plugging cables in this adaptor i was unaware that the pressure on the connector was causing to it lift off the pins yet remain in the socket and proceed to bend the pins. Since the pins are so damn thin and weak when i tried to gently straighten them they freaking snapped clean off. Damn why the hell can they make it like the old usb 2.0 connector at least those pins were robust. (size and strength)

Last edited:
This weekend i finished modifying my support bracket for the mini pci-e slot. I can use the lower sata port on my controller. If you use a right angle sata cable you can even still use dimm slot number 1. It is a tight fit but it is possible to do.

Well i have had more time to spend with this board and have come to several conclusions until zotac does so major bios work (which most likely will never happen) trying to get a stable reliable (ie predictable) overclock is for all intents and purpose a exercise in futility.

I will be the first to admit this is the first time i have had the opportunity to overclock a Sandy bridge cpu. I am very impressed with stock performance and especially the performance of turbo mode. I am even beginning to change my view on overclocking. I was always a full on 24/7 max speed overclock man. These newer energy efficient processors combined with judicious use of turbo mode means i might actually save on my energy bill let alone heat and cooling requirements. I like the idea of performance on demand. The one thing i have found infinitely valuable during this whole learning process is that i may be able to have the best of both worlds and for that i can at least take some solace in the fact the zotac served its purpose.

Overclocking aside it is still a decent itx board. The mini- pcie / msat slot is very important to me for expandability. I am currently using a mini pci-e sata controller but i might even in the future use a adapter to turn it into a full mini pci-e 1x slot.

In order to use the lucid virtua for quicksync the internal video needs to be enabled in the bios and the video drivers need to be installed. I poked around for some time in the bios before i figured out that "igd multimoniter" actually meant "enable onboard video controller." Why oh why can't you make settings labeled logically Zotac?

My goals were to rebuild my mini htpc in preparation for adding new hdds, adding efi support for over 3tb hdd support. I needed Virtua for quicksync and some overclocking would have been nice.

The only thing the board really failed in was overclocking. Other that that there is nothing I have found to be a show stopper. My board does not seem to be plagued by buzzing under load and both ram slots are okay.

Back