Zotac Short 970 at CES

medeyer

Limp Gawd
Looks like Zotac is having a crack at short GPUs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqTxnVO0tWY

It looks like it's 170mm, but nothing is confirmed.

Another review here:

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/42617/zotac-show-two-small-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970s-ces-2015/index.html

Isn't the ZOTAC dual fan in the article the same short one that's been on sale since the 970/980 launch?

The single fan model they're showing is definitely new, though if the ETA is still a few months off, then they're definitely a little late to the game.

Short one looks nice. They should get back to making itx motherboards again though.

supersmall.jpg

Late, but great. This looks like an actual blower type cooler, with a reference width. Looks like a prototype (there's only one 6-pin connector...?), but this is the one I'm getting. Good IO too.

Well done Zotac!

Definitely not a blower, since the fan has traditional blades, and you can see the fin stack and heat pipe behind the fan.

Sorry, I meant that it directed air towards the back of the card. At least that's what these sources are telling me :)

Yes, I like it! I hope they'll go for one 8-pin connector instead of two 6-pin ones.

Also, they are finally the ones making a closed cooler design, which is crucial for small builds! A bit strange that they're using the stacked DVI ports nevertheless, but maybe that'll change until release (probably not).
And it's of reference width. I guess we found the new mITX GPU champ!

Last edited:
Yes, I like it! I hope they'll go for one 8-pin connector instead of two 6-pin ones.

Also, they are finally the ones making a closed cooler design, which is crucial for small builds! A bit strange that they're using the stacked DVI ports nevertheless, but maybe that'll change until release (probably not).
And it's of reference width. I guess we found the new mITX GPU champ!

Wait, where is the blower cooler? Still looks open to me! Ah, or is it just that each side of the card is closed off except for the back...

This looks like an actual blower type cooler, with a reference width. Looks like a prototype (there's only one 6-pin connector...?)

As mentioned, not a blower but an axial fan. Here is a very succinct description:
SOURCE
An axial-flow fan works on different principals than a centrifugal fan. In an axial, the flow of air is parallel to the shaft where as a centrifugal fan works by throwing air away from it blades.

GTX 970 specifications
Graphics Card Power (W) 145W
Nvidia is saying the card uses 145W at stock speeds. It is accepted that (for backwards compatibility) the PCIe x16 slot itself can supply 75W of power. It is accepted that the 6-pin PCIe power cable can supply 75W and an 8-pin can supply 150W. Because card makers wanted overclocking overhead, they designed cards to be able to use up to 225W in theory.

I am completely okay with the card being capped at 150W.

Wait, where is the blower cooler? Still looks open to me! Ah, or is it just that each side of the card is closed off except for the back...

Yes, that's what I meant. Its shroud is closed, so most of the heat will be exhausted out the back.

I'm no expert on air flow physics, but would high powered, small cards like this and others (i.e. Asus Mini range) benefit from a GPU top position? Like the TJ08-E. I just figured the hot air would go out and up, not linger or recycle through the case.

Yes, that's what I meant. Its shroud is closed, so most of the heat will be exhausted out the back.

Not really. These shrouds are not sealed closed for a reason. By being open on the sides, it allows for better air flow over the cooling fins.

This cooler will exhaust most of its heat in the case.

Not really. These shrouds are not sealed closed for a reason. By being open on the sides, it allows for better air flow over the cooling fins.

This cooler will exhaust most of its heat in the case.

People keep telling me this, but nobody explained it. If the cooling fins are oriented longitudinally, surely the air will follow that path to the back, right? I don't know much about this stuff, but everything will go the path of least resistance, and it doesn't seem like that would be out of the card for this cooler design.

For the ASUS ITX 970, that seems a lot more logical, the fins are oriented radially around the fan, and the shroud is opened at the points where air could not follow a path to the back of the card. But with this Zotac one, I have a hard time believing that "most of its heat" will be dumped in the case.

Back