ZFS: Considering OCZ Talos C, Why all the OCZ hate?

stevebaynet

Limp Gawd
I am no OCZ fanboy (i own none) but i have a need for SSD's for ZFS L2arc. I need SAS because i use HA and need the dual interface (plus all the other drives are SAS and its on an expander)

L2arc is not as cirical for me (that i know of at least), boxes will have plenty of Ram, will have a handfull of L2arc drives (with spares) and one dropping out is not really a huge deal.

I liked the OCZ Talos C's beause they are A: cheaper, and B: on the hardware supported list for nexenta.

I've googled away and found little if any real reviews on the Talos C's. But i've also heard plenty of negative thoughts here on [H] but lacked in specifics.

Care to weigh in? anyone have experience with the Talos enterprise SSD's?

If they are terrible, can you elaborate further as to why?

Is there an alternative drive for L2arc that is SAS based that you can reccomend that is in the same price range? or is my only alternative a STEC mach/iops

thoughts appreciated.

30% arrive DOA which is a great feat considering thre are no moving parts.

Talos drives are NOT SAS drives, they are SATA drives with internal interposers which is NOT the same thing as SAS.

Once you sift through the 30% DOA drives I am told when you fail pools from one head to another that the Talos drives have a tendency to time out and drop out of the pools.

The folks I talk to within nexenta STRONGLY suggest not using them and if it were up to them they would remove them from the HCL all together.

I have heard good things about Hitachi SAS SSDs however they're roughly the same cost as STEC drives. I haven't personally used the Hitachi drives though so you may want to dig up more info on them.

IMO, bite the bullet and use STEC, they make great drives.

I was hoping for more of a consensus, but i see what your saying. it's annoying becuse its the nexenta dude i talked to in the first palce that told me about the Talos C's! lol. I guess we'll see if anyone else chimes in and then ill go from there. Should have figured it would be too good to be true at those prices. blarg.

I'll throw my hat in the ring in this conversation as well. We had some talos drives (about a dozen or so) which 75% died within 6 months. Some of them were denied warranty replacement because of "write patterns outside the stated uses of the drives." We also had a few dozen V3 and V3IOPS drives which wen't bad in short order, and drives that arrived bad OOTB. Shit happens in the electronics market, but the arrogant nature and attitudes we got when trying to replace their bad equipment added insult to injury.

OCZ?

Worst SSD I've ever seen, returned about 12 vertex2 so far, all of them dying with 12-18 months of use, the controller dies without warning.

I'm so pissed off, at least I've got all of them replaced, but I'm assuming they will fail agian in 12 months. Not even the old maxtor hdd used to fail that often!

piece of crap, literally!

Today I was deploying a server with 2x intel 520 in RAID and my boss, are you sure these SSD will work fine? I don't wanna pay £10k later because we lost something.

He lost his main workstation machine running on a vertex2 a couple of week ago, so now he is even a bit concerned about SSDs in general. Shitty OCZ! piece of junk.

Why all the OCZ hate? Because OCZ has had a history of poor reliability and below-average customer service quality.

first ocz drive i bought died within minutes of use...

believe me they earned their rep....

OCZ drives just aren't built reliably - maybe ok for your gaming box.... but don't use for anything critical!

Why?

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. Burn me thrice, I'm a f***ing moron to buy another.

before you save some money buying ocz ssd but now user have realize the saving over data loss and rma isn't worth the trouble

Why?

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice, shame on me. Burn me thrice, I'm a f***ing moron to buy another.

LMAO. In total I've bought four OCZ SSDs, and two of them (50%) both dies without warning under light use.

before you save some money buying ocz ssd but now user have realize the saving over data loss and rma isn't worth the trouble
Yet they will continue to sell, and sell well, because people like the OP have no idea. :)

and that review sites concentrate on benchmarks only not taking into account reliability history. OCZ tend to top benchmarks and are cheap so they sell well.

OCZ in my experience is all flash and no substance...I could go on but its not worth my time

Ouch, lol. didn't realize asking for input meant i have no clue.
LOL! What would you call it?

Their horrible failure rates, constant questionable updates, questionable speed testing, replacing internal components to inferior components, and on and on..........have taken place over many years but the amount of negatvity should give you a clue.

If you do a Google search it really gets outta hand.:D

I know nothing about this Talos series and have ignored OCZ since I had a pair @ 3-4yrs ago.

I vote you try them and let us know how it works out.

Who knows, someone's got to be buying and keeping them.

You may be perfectly happy. :)

You may be perfectly happy. :)

Or, if it ends up like many others, contemplate suicide when the drive(s) crash and they don't have a sufficient backup (or even worse decided RAID1 WAS a sufficient backup and had BOTH drives that were OCZ)

Or, if it ends up like many others, contemplate suicide when the drive(s) crash and they don't have a sufficient backup (or even worse decided RAID1 WAS a sufficient backup and had BOTH drives that were OCZ)
LOL!

Hey thats the same combination I use on my luggage!

Use got another vertex2 faulty, returned, got another DOA, then I sent it back again, got an agility 3, very strange behaviour giving back CRC errors and all sort of shit. Returned, and now I'm talking to OCZ to get my money back.

Absolute joke! if you buy 4 OCZ SSDs, you know for sure at least 1 of them will fail in 1 year time. I said SURE, no merely statistical. I'm the living proof!

Back