Zenbook UX31A - 128GB SSD @newegg

yeah... but not everyone lives by a microcenter... sicne they dont ship =/

Tempting, awfully tempting... I kinda wanna wait for Haswell tho (is there an ETA?) and maybe a model with Thunderbolt too, even tho I don't really need either since I'll still mostly use the desktop at home. Wish I could find a USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter too! That would obviate any need for TB for me personally.

They did a lot right with the Prime and addressed almost every complaint I had about the first Zen... WiDi, backlight, and the awesome IPS display were tremendous additions. Any word on what SSD it's actually shipping with? UX21 preview samples had a SanDisk but I've already seen reports of Sandforce drives (faster) on shipping UX31s...

yeah... but not everyone lives by a microcenter... sicne they dont ship =/
Is that so...

Tempting, awfully tempting... I kinda wanna wait for Haswell tho (is there an ETA?) and maybe a model with Thunderbolt too, even tho I don't really need either since I'll still mostly use the desktop at home. Wish I could find a USB 3.0 Gigabit Ethernet adapter too! That would obviate any need for TB for me personally.
The Zenbook Prime comes with an ethernet adapter.

Any word on what SSD it's actually shipping with? UX21 preview samples had a SanDisk but I've already seen reports of Sandforce drives (faster) on shipping UX31s...
Everyone receiving them (look at Amazon etc) is saying it's the better Sandforce drives.

The Zenbook Prime comes with an ethernet adapter.

Everyone receiving them (look at Amazon etc) is saying it's the better Sandforce drives.

It's only a 10/100 Ethernet adapter tho, AFAIK, not a Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps) adapter, which USB 3.0 easily has the bandwidth for. Good to know about the SSD tho.

It's only a 10/100 Ethernet adapter tho, AFAIK, not a Gigabit Ethernet (1000 Mbps) adapter, which USB 3.0 easily has the bandwidth for. Good to know about the SSD tho.
Ahh. Mine should be arriving this week and I'll let you know what kind it has, I have never seen the spec on it. Assuming it's Gig, but I could be wrong. I won't be needing to pass Gig for anything though, so I didn't care.

I wouldn't need Gig E on a daily basis either but it'd be nice to have at times, like say, when I'm transferring movies off my desktop before a trip... Quicker than transferring to the external USB 3.0 drive then to the laptop. I don't think said adapters are common yet tho (at last my cursory search on Amazon didn't reveal any), probably why they just tossed three same Fast Ethernet one they had already been using.

The display sounds fantastic from reviews, I'm sure as soon as CompUSA starts carrying them and I'm able to see it in person I'll end up caving in and buying one... :p

this looks pretty hot.

Damn I was eyeing a macbook air / pro due to the screens being much better than most laptops / ultrabooks. But this turns the tide. 1080p IPS screen! yes pleaseeeeeeee.

The images on Anand's review of the display sitting next to the older TN version make me drool every time I see it... :p Hopefully it sells well enough that it doesn't become a one-off for ASUS. The difference should be striking on retail shelves, altho I dunno if anyone outside a dozen CompUSA stores actually carry the Zenbook line in stores. Did Best Buy ever sell them? I know they sell ASUS but ive only seen Toshiba and Samsung ultrabook at my local (and now only) BB.

The images on Anand's review of the display sitting next to the older TN version make me drool every time I see it... :p Hopefully it sells well enough that it doesn't become a one-off for ASUS. The difference should be striking on retail shelves, altho I dunno if anyone outside a dozen CompUSA stores actually carry the Zenbook line in stores. Did Best Buy ever sell them? I know they sell ASUS but ive only seen Toshiba and Samsung ultrabook at my local (and now only) BB.

My local Best Buy had the UX31E on display and I almost purchased it before doing my research and seeing that the UX31A's were right around the corner. I got the UX31A last night with the free xbox 360 student deal through Best Buy and it is a fantastic unit.

I got this one specifically, it wasn't in store yet and had to be ordered:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...218677495496&skuId=5620967&st=UX31a&cp=1&lp=6

Only downside I have found so far is that there is some moderate backlight bleed when the screen is black but still on (like say during boot up), but nothing that makes me not like the laptop any less.

nice, some actual owners of the book.

tell me, is the trackpad and multi touch features acceptable? i dont plan on using a mouse.

Just reporting back... Just got it and on the ZBP box itself, it has a "SandForce Driven by LSI" sticker on it.

Sweet, a Samsung 830 would be my first choice but I'll take the SF over a slower SanDisk.

I have one of these they are pretty bad ass and has 1600x900 resolution which most other similar ultra books don't have.

But the charger port is a bit sensitive my wife has gone through 2 charger adapters.

I'd say this is a don't buy though because the new edition is just around the corner with the new intel graphics chip.

I have one of these they are pretty bad ass and has 1600x900 resolution which most other similar ultra books don't have.

But the charger port is a bit sensitive my wife has gone through 2 charger adapters.

I'd say this is a don't buy though because the new edition is just around the corner with the new intel graphics chip.

Way to not read the thread... :rolleyes: This IS the newest version, 1920x1080 IPS display, Ivy Bridge, etc. There's nothing newer coming out except maybe a touchscreen version they demo'd recently at Computex.

Not unless you're doing something particularly CPU bound which would make the minimal upgrade worthwhile, and that's not really what ultrabooks are aimed at.

thats what i was thinking. id say the most 'intense' thing i would do would be some hd video watching. i guess i just like the idea of having the extra power...

im pretty sold on it, but in looking up more information for something im now considering the samsung series 9 a little more.

Back