Z9PE-D8-WS Rig cannot POST after GTX770 install

Nicolas_orleans

[H]ard DCOTM May 2016
Dear all

I received my 2 x GTX 770 tonight. I stopped the rig, removed power cord, removed old GT430 and installed GTX 770 #1 in PCIE slot 7 (linked to CPU 2) and GTX 770 #2 in PCIE.

First boot stuck with Q code 94 eg "PCI Bus enumeration". Let's try some other PCI lanes : same results.

Then I try to boot with only one card on a PCI lane linked to CPU1 : success, POST ok and Ubuntu 13.04 loads ok.

Then I stop the rig, I install the card #2 on another PCI lane... since then I am stuck with a rig that does not POST whatever the card (old GT430 or new GTX770), and Q code A9 eg "start of setup"

I tried to clear CMOS... no change. What can I do ? Thanks for your support

I tried. I unplugged power cord, changed jumper to clear CMOS position, counted to 10, place jumper to default position, plug again power cord.

Still A9 Q-code.

I was thinking removing CMOS battery and putting back in place ?

have you tested both cards separately on just cpu 1 to make sure one isn't a DOA

Did not get that chance :
- one card successfully posted
- A9 code when adding the other card
- A9 code when coming back to the card that successfully posted previously, same lane
- A9 code with my old GT430 on the PCI lane it has been plugged to for one year

Removed onboard cell battery and try to clear CMOS again, then put battery and jumper back in position
Still A9 code upon boot (trying to boot without card)
Any ideas

It is a known old issue with that motherboard not fully solved yet. ES chips?

Try with last BIOS, try with one card in PCI#3, most successfull one among they all.

couple links:
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...dro-K5000-amp-GTX-6XX-series-GPUs-(Q-Code-62)
http://www.overclock.net/t/1261060/asus-z9pe-d8-owners-thread

Thanks. But if the board does not boot with old card / onboard VGA, I do not see how I can update the BIOS ?

It appears CMOS clearing is not working, will try one night without cell battery to see if it helps

Had the same issue with my Z9PE-D8 mobo and GTX Titan. Using the latest Bios helped. Borrow another older graphics card of a friend for the bios update.

Musky

Full chain of events
- two cards Q code 94
- one card Q code 94, then trying each PCI line one by one
- one card successfully posted on PCIE3 one time
- A9 code when adding the other card
- A9 code when coming back to the card that successfully posted previously, same lane PCI3
- A9 code with my old GT430 on the PCI lane it has been plugged to for one year + all other PCI lanes
- A9 code with online VGA board
-> all boot attempts now fail

24 hours with clear CMOS jumper + removed CMOS battery : still A9 code and no POST no matter which video card and lane.

What can I do ?

Shut board down.

Remove all power.

Remove all video cards and make sure the VGA pass-through cable is connected to the motherboard and hooked up to a monitor.

Connect keyboard on PS/2 socket (with adapter if need be)

Take out each CPU and replace into the original sockets.(Ie. DON'T switch them)

Restart and hold down the DEL key on the keyboard

See if it makes it into the BIOS.

This worked for me after fighting with the board for greater part of a day.

If not, try again the above but switch the CPUs.

These boards have some weird Intel management engine problems especially with the older BIOSes that are causing these types of issues. I had the "94" Q-Code, but never the A9. When you take out the CPUs and replace them it seems to get the IME out of the weird loop it gets into.

Shut board down.

Remove all power.

Remove all video cards and make sure the VGA pass-through cable is connected to the motherboard and hooked up to a monitor.

These boards have some weird Intel management engine problems especially with the older BIOSes that are causing these types of issues. I had the "94" Q-Code, but never the A9. When you take out the CPUs and replace them it seems to get the IME out of the weird loop it gets into.

Thanks a lot, I will try this procedure. I do have an old BIOS (working with spicy chipŝ)

What stepping are those spicy cpu's? My asus Z9PE is a right royal PITA upon reboot - I eventually found it to be a faulty dimm causing at least some of the problems, but even now it still requires several reboots on occasion - and that's with only 1 gpu.

Shut board down.

Remove all power.

The procedure WITHOUT switch of CPUs did not work, will try to switch CPUs tomorrow

What stepping are those spicy cpu's? My asus Z9PE is a right royal PITA upon reboot - I eventually found it to be a faulty dimm causing at least some of the problems, but even now it still requires several reboots on occasion - and that's with only 1 gpu.

206D2h eg QA90. 30 millions points without a single failed reboot until I plugged these damned cards :mad:

Hmm, B0 stepping cpu's. mine are the same - get them going and they are great. However they are a PITA to get going once something gets changed and you can't flash the bios to the newest one or the cpu's will no longer work.

I would go with the removal of cpu's and reinsert them and try again. You could try flashing to a later bios and see if that helps, version 7.03 would be at late as I would go though - any later and you won't have cpu compatability

Finally booted with minimal CPU1/DIMM_A1/onboard VGA setup
Updated BIOS to 0703 as per Nathan's valuable information regarding final version supporting B0
More progress soon...

CPU1+DIMM_A1/CPU2+DIMM_E1/onboard VGA POSTS, GRUB loads, then system hangs with :

EDAC sbridge : ECC is disabled. Aborting
EDAC sbridge : couldn't find mci handler

First message seems normal since I have non ECC RAM and ECC is BIOS disabled.
Don't know the meaning of the second one.

After these errors, black screen.

Nathan did you experience such behaviour with 0703 ?

No I haven't, A quick google has shown that the message is unrelated to the crash.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=153110

I would look at the dimms again, Test each one singly in slot A1 and see how far you can boot with each, mark any that don't boot and put them to one side.

Try both cpu's with 1 working dimm in slots's A1 and E1 and then go from there

Thanks Nathan, finally I was able to rebuild the rig the way it was, now running SMP32 again, the 8 sticks of RAM are ok.

The 0703 BIOS can POST with a GTX 770 on either slot PCIE2 or PCIE4. However I could not get the card displaying a single image with Ubuntu 12.04.2 and xorg edgers drivers 319.23. Lots of possible causes for that, I will however stop to mess around with the board and build a dedicated folder for the GTXs.

If I had a 770 i'd see if I could replicate the issue. I'll have a go with my 460/670 over the course of the next few days and see if I get anything.

A quick update.

Replacement RAM turned up today, installed and it booted 1st time,, I have even managed to get a very small overclock going on it - gonna try and push this over the week

RAM may well be the root cause of your issues. Definitely worth a look at some point

What is the replacement RAM brand name that you use?

And it's been over 1 mth. since your post, is your GTX 770, either 1 or both, running fine on your Asus? And what's your BIOS ver. in the end to get it to work or does it even matter?

Also, w/ your Noctua, it c/w 2 fans, supposed control by CPU as CPU fans. How did you connect them? Since there are 2 fan but only 1 CPU fan slot on the motherboard?

Last edited:
From my side I gave up trying to fold with dual GTX 770 on this board with BIOS version 0703, which is the latest one with support of spicy chips. With 0703 I could post without any issues but the cards were not detected with a 3.5 kernel and 319.xx drivers.

I built a dedicated rig (see sig) for the 2 GTX 770, using kernel 3.8 and 319.xx drivers, that has been folding without any issue since. And I reverted the Asus board to its previous 100% bigadv use.

Regarding the Noctuas, a splitter is provided with them, so each Noctua has its 2 wires connected to splitter that is connected to CPU_FANx (x=1 or 2) plug of the board. They are controlled by the BIOS of the MB, I set up the Fan Speed Control option to High Speed Mode (not he highest). Depending on ambiant temperature, between 44 and 50°C under bigadv load.

For your reference there are 8 fan slots on the board : CPU_FAN1-2, FRNT_FAN1–4, REAR_FAN1-2.

what about just 1 GTX, would this motherboard able to see 1 x GTX in the 600 or 700 series ?

As to the Noctua, since you split the current, is it strong enough for the load of 2 current?

what about just 1 GTX, would this motherboard able to see 1 x GTX in the 600 or 700 series ?

Since I am limited in BIOS updates, I can only google search, you may want to do the same. I found out that with BIOS 0703 (same as mine that does not work with GTX 770) and earlier, GTX 670 and GTX 680 are reported NOT to work. They are said to work with 3302.

As to the Noctua, since you split the current, is it strong enough for the load of 2 current?

Yes (with 95W TDP CPU at least)

Even though this is an enthusiast board, it's built off a server foundation. The headers are designed for server fans (5w+ each), so running multiple normal fans (like the Noctuas that draw ~0.5w) is no problem.

Since I am limited in BIOS updates, I can only google search, you may want to do the same. I found out that with BIOS 0703 (same as mine that does not work with GTX 770) and earlier, GTX 670 and GTX 680 are reported NOT to work. They are said to work with 3302.

I thought your problem is caused by a faulty RAM. So you're saying it's not just faulty RAM, but the simple fact that GTX 770 just won't work on a certain BIOS?

Back