Youtube Store Not Doing Well

Hah, I noticed that recently too. They've been changing back and forth ALOT lately.

I think they want to convert all of the videos to HTML5 so some will still be using the old Flash player and some use the HTML5 one.

Ah, so they're moving to HTML5? If so, I can stand that. I haven't looked into HTML5 all that much but I'm liking what I see.

I think Hulu's won't fail as bad. Hulu seems to be a subscription from what I read, this is per movie.

I don't think you can compare the pricing models. AFAIK, Hulu offers TV shows, while youtube is offering movies.

Still, Hulu has the same problem as Youtube: it won't offer HD quality (or even pseudo HD quality) video.

I'd give them $10.00/month if I could watch 720p video on demand, but less than that, and there's no point....and to be honest, i'd like to be able to set it up for them to d/l the content to my machine automatically....that way i can grab stuff while I'm asleep or at work.

FWIW, I agree with everyone else about the marketing of this service, or lack thereof. Today is the first I've heard of it.

I think they want to convert all of the videos to HTML5 so some will still be using the old Flash player and some use the HTML5 one.

Many youtube videos are h.264, even if you use the flash version. I haven't looked recently, but a month or 2 back, the html5 videos didn't play back as well.

I spent about 30 seconds looking at their front page and if there is any indication of movies available for rent, I certainly missed it.

Here's the thing, people just aren't used to spending money on YouTube because it's always been free. So the proposition of actually spending money on YouTube now is a bit alien and counter-intuitive.

I'm just not intrested in spending any money on YouTube. What does YouTube provide that I can't get elsewhere. Plus I'm on the Blu Ray bandwagon now. To me at least, Blu Ray enhances the pleasure of watching a movie. I just looks better to me in more and more cases and is often, not always granted, worth the Price Premium. Especially something like Avatar.

This won't work because most ISP's offer below par download speeds, and have no incentive to increase them to benefit Youtube or any other service.

Netflix streaming is fine for stuff thats 480p max resolution anyway and I stream a lot of crap from Netflix, but its just that, crap. I'm not expecting the best quality,

The concept sounds great on paper if 1080p was part of the mix, but do you really wanna steam a 4-5GB movie? With ISP's instituting bandwidth limitations its only gonna make this more complicated to achieve.

2 cars wanna go down the same road, but one car wants to be a Ferrari, the other is a Pinto with bald tires and no incentive to keep chugging along, they're content with just being pushed to the finish line

+1 on the 'I didn't know YouTube even has a store' bandwagon.

If more people actually knew that had a store, I'm sure it would have done a little better.

So I sit here trying to watch a MINI Challenge crash @ Ipswitch video, just a newsclip someone posted on it. its at 360p and i've been sitting here for the LAST TEN MINUTES trying to get THE FIRST TEN SECONDS of a 2 minute and 23 second video clip to load.

And then they wonder why this fails?

- no marketing/advertising
- you can't even get 360p clips under 3 minutes to fully stream in a reasonable amount of time on a 22Mbps cable connection

Any negative after the first two (and there are plenty but I'm not going to list them all) almost doesn't matter after tholse.

If you can't even do it right for free, nobody is going to PAY you to fuck up.

Interesting. I pay for a 10Mb cable connection (though it can do close to 20Mb -- I max at around 2.3MB/s -- maybe they upgraded on me for free? I love Shaw Cable :)), and I have no problem running the 1080p videos smooth as silk, with only a 3 or 4 second buffer at the start.

Though that's on a quad-core. I have an older machine that starts stuttering on 720p and up.. it seems the flash video is pretty cpu intensive, maybe that's your problem? :confused:

It's all perspective, though, isn't it. My first thought was that I'd TOTALLY sign up if they were doing the movies in the same quality as the 1080p already on the website. Not that I imagine we'll be allowed in Canada... :(

Make it easy for average consumers to get to their TV, at least 720p and ONLY $1.00 and it will work (redbox anyone?)

My cable provider (comcast) has on demand movies - but they are $5! Lower it to $1 and Ill order them all the time.

Interesting. I pay for a 10Mb cable connection (though it can do close to 20Mb -- I max at around 2.3MB/s -- maybe they upgraded on me for free? I love Shaw Cable :)), and I have no problem running the 1080p videos smooth as silk, with only a 3 or 4 second buffer at the start.

Though that's on a quad-core. I have an older machine that starts stuttering on 720p and up.. it seems the flash video is pretty cpu intensive, maybe that's your problem? :confused:

It's all perspective, though, isn't it. My first thought was that I'd TOTALLY sign up if they were doing the movies in the same quality as the 1080p already on the website. Not that I imagine we'll be allowed in Canada... :(

I'm running a Q9600 with 4 gigs of Corsair DDR2 1066's and an XFX 4890. Its not about smoothness. Its the fact that I have to wait forever to finish loading before I can even play the video.

Also perhaps that the 80-90% of users that frequent YouTube aren't interested in paying for movies and are there to listen to music, watch stupid videos, and post useless and ignorant comments on religion / ethics / politics / social concepts?

I think we've stumbled upon something :).

I'm running a Q9600 with 4 gigs of Corsair DDR2 1066's and an XFX 4890. Its not about smoothness. Its the fact that I have to wait forever to finish loading before I can even play the video.

In that case, I'd complain to your ISP. Something is definitely wrong.

Back