[YourNewCase] SUGO ... 5! GO!

:D

I have the systems up and running with the stock HSF and the Shurikens on my desk. Yes, it will be fun! :rolleyes:

Hopefully the heatspreaders on my G.Skill Snipers won't need too much modding. They are only a couple of millimeters above the RAM board.

Installed the Shuriken but I had to cut the top of the Sniper heat spreaders to let the pipes fit. Luckily the aluminum is very thin and a few bends with a pair of pliers and the excess bits snap off.

I prefer the front panel design of the 05 (looks neater, imo, and less restricted airflow). That, and the 06 is more expensive for no real benefit. The 05 is also smaller and lighter, albeit not by much.

05 is lighter, bout 300g.

front air intake with filter design is better for airflow and removal of dust.

Yeah, and perhaps enough GPU grunt to drive 3 monitor gaming with just a single GPU (and thus fitting the 450W limit of the PSU).

Can't wait!!

Kepler will no doubt be good (when it finally shows up) but since I already have 560ti's, I'll be set until Maxwell arrives in 2013 (hopefully!). The power of twin 580's in an 8" card consuming less than 150W. Not that far off.

I will be getting this case for a "performance work computer" I'm thinking of putting a 2500k, a ssd, and 8gb of ram in it but I really need advice for the cooler.

What would be my best choice of aircooling the cpu?

Thanks in advance!

Are you using a Z68 board and OC'ing? If no you can get away with the stock cooler. Its a bit loud under heavy load so if you find it too noisy or are certain that the cpu will be under heavy load and the noise will be an issue, the Scythe Shuriken Rev B is good but it requires both low profile RAM (no heatspreaders...which are useless anyhow) and careful placement to avoid blocking the PCIe slot depending on the motherboard. You could also use the Big Shuriken 2 but it will block the PCIe slot if that is an issue. The Shuriken Rev B keeps my i5-2500K at 70C max under Prime95 in a 22C ambient room. It may run a little cooler without a card in the PCIe slot blocking the airflow.

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not really sure which mb I will be using. Seems as there is no real obvious choice. I'd like the possibility to overclock but at the same time I'd like to be able to undervolt too. What do you think would be the best choice?

I won't be getting a dedicated gpu, at least not at first, so that would give me some more choices when it comes too coolers I guess.

Keeping the system as quite as possible is also important to me.

Overclocking has only 2 choices really: Asrock Z68 or Zotac Z68 (which comes in two varieties). Both have issues when overclocked. I don't think they undervolt, at least not the Zotac. For undervolting, the Gigabyte H67 board works well. I have this board and run it undervolted. With air its all about the metal: get as much as you can and add the biggest fan running slow for the quietest operation. The Big Shuriken uses a 120mm fan whereas the Shuriken uses a 100mm fan.

Yeah, and perhaps enough GPU grunt to drive 3 monitor gaming with just a single GPU (and thus fitting the 450W limit of the PSU).

Can't wait!!

So it now seems that if we trust the rumors, the high end amd comes in jannuary. and the high end nvidia comes in august. just to hope that it has a proper length. HD 7970 @ 25cm wanted :D i think i read somewhere that is "only" a 190W card.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Wanting to do a SG05 450 build.

i5 2500
zotac z68 wifi
sythe shuriken rev b
8 gb ram

I'm stuck on GPUs though.
Whats the best card i can stick in there currently, i have about £150, that can just about cover a gtx 560ti, but will any fit, and if so which, as they all have different coolers etc

Any other reccomendations?

Thanks,
Graham

That link doesn't work for me. Does it look like this?

33659big.jpg

Hi guys,

i5 2500
zotac z68 wifi
sythe shuriken rev b
8 gb ram

Whats the best card i can stick in there currently, i have about £150, that can just about cover a gtx 560ti, but will any fit, and if so which, as they all have different coolers etc

Thanks,
Graham
I have the EVGA 560ti SC (reference design) and it just fits as the power connectors are at the back and it takes a bit of fiddling to get the card in. That would be the absolute biggest I would go. Luckily, its a fantastic card. The only downside is it makes the PSU chirp a little under load.

That link doesn't work for me. Does it look like this?

33659big.jpg
That is the one I use for my slot-load BD drive.

Big Shirikan, or get one of the antec 620 water coolers. Have one in mine, with a slot load drive, 1tb hdd, and a 570.

Hi guys,

i5 2500
zotac z68 wifi
sythe shuriken rev b
8 gb ram

Thanks,
Graham

I'm enjoying my Gainward 560ti Phantom2 which is only 190mm long (7.5") and has a subtle look with its black heatsink and fans behind. It seems to fit perfectly along the opening of the SG05. But it's only available in Europe and Asia.

p00458_pic_19974d3e1eb6e4faf.jpg

Is this the right cable for slim optical drive: http://img.pricebat.ca/productimage/normal/10090263.jpg

edit: fixed link

All of those slimline adapters seem to have a red sata data cable, and you are forced to connect the power to a 4pin molex. Consider using a Startech adapter instead: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002O1W6ZK

SLSATAADAP.Blarge.jpg

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Just finished my Mini-PC using SUGO 06 300W. Here the specification and pics:

Intel Core i5 2500K
Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3
Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 2x4GB
Corsair Force GT 120GB
HIS Radeon HD6770 Turbo ICEQ
Silverstone SOD02 Slim DVD

Last edited:
Whats the best aircooler for core i7 2600k and sugo sg05?

I recently ordered corsair H80 but then i got afraid, it might break down and leak in 2-3 years or so wich is my plan to keep.

My kit:

Asrock z68m itx
Core i7 2600k
Corsair 2*4gb ddr3
Sugo Sg05 450w
8800GT
Intel 320 120GB (OS) + intel 320 80gb (cache drive)

H80 won't leak, but it might not quite fit with the rest of your gear. I suggest an H60, though I've been having some trouble with getting mine to cooperate with that ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT board (same as yours).

You can't use SRT to accelerate an SSD with another SSD. You need to use a HDD as the primary boot environment, and cache to an SSD. Also, the cap on SRT is 64GB. I suggest a crucial M4 which is a bit cheaper.

As for pure air coolers, I can't seem to find one that is both effective and able to fit. There are good ones that will block the PCIe slot, for example.

H80 won't leak, but it might not quite fit with the rest of your gear. I suggest an H60, though I've been having some trouble with getting mine to cooperate with that ASRock Z68M-ITX/HT board (same as yours).

You can't use SRT to accelerate an SSD with another SSD. You need to use a HDD as the primary boot environment, and cache to an SSD. Also, the cap on SRT is 64GB. I suggest a crucial M4 which is a bit cheaper.

As for pure air coolers, I can't seem to find one that is both effective and able to fit. There are good ones that will block the PCIe slot, for example.

If im not mistaking i think ive seen someone using the H80 with sg05. Some friends tell me that the pump might not last 2-3 years and the risk that it might leak who knows, so its better to have air cooler.

I'm not planing to have optical drive or 3.5" drive in the case, so there will be more room for any cooler i guess.

about my cache disk im not gonna use SRT my plan is to buy another 80gb intel ssd and then run em in raid so i can use em as cache for photoshop and adobe premier pro.

With the Hydro coolers (H50/60/70, etc.,) I'd say when the unit does go it would be more in the form of the pump starts to slow down or stop working altogether more than a leak somewhere. Which is not good either but for me I think the majority of the units will face more of a pump stoppage than leaking. The early units were warrantied for two years and the newer ones are warrantied five years now, I have heard, so basically after the warranty I would say consider replacing the unit just to play it safe if it really concerns the user. For those using a Hydro type cooler you should monitor temps on a daily level. Its what I do. Just my opinion anyway.

If im not mistaking i think ive seen someone using the H80 with sg05. Some friends tell me that the pump might not last 2-3 years and the risk that it might leak who knows, so its better to have air cooler.

I'm not planing to have optical drive or 3.5" drive in the case, so there will be more room for any cooler i guess.

about my cache disk im not gonna use SRT my plan is to buy another 80gb intel ssd and then run em in raid so i can use em as cache for photoshop and adobe premier pro.

It's possible to fit an H80 if and only if your PCI-e slot card (GPU or otherwise) does not exceed 7.5 inches. You'll also only be able to fit 1 fan, as I understand it. I prefer an H60 in push-pull with a full-length 6870, personally.

Corsair Hydro series are warrantied for 5 years currently. They virtually never leak, and if they do, Corsair will take care of it, they stand behind their products. The pumps are not what you need to worry about, in my opinion. I think 5 years of evaporation, even with it being sealed, and using low-evaporative equipment all around, will make the cooling system less effective. However, when the warranty is up, you can swap the cooler for a new replacement unit, or, you can mod it yourself to add a fill port :cool:

It's possible to fit an H80 if and only if your PCI-e slot card (GPU or otherwise) does not exceed 7.5 inches. You'll also only be able to fit 1 fan, as I understand it. I prefer an H60 in push-pull with a full-length 6870, personally.

Only if you want to use the ODD/HDD tray, if you rotate the radiator with the tubing at the top of the case you can pretty much use the full length for a video card.

I snagged a GTX560Ti for $180 on Black Friday. Being as this is the last week before Xmas you may see a great sale on a 560Ti somewhere. It fits in a SG05.

I went with the XFX 6870 1GB because its closer to my budget and it was shorter than most of the other 6870's.

I went with the XFX 6870 1GB because its closer to my budget and it was shorter than most of the other 6870's.

Same here, and I couldn't be happier. It fits wonderfully, even with my H60 in push-pull.

2GB of VRAM only matters at exceedingly high resolutions, or with more AA than a 6870 can drive. Crysis2 is VRAM-intensive, but it is an exception to an otherwise bulletproof rule.

Looks like this would be the best option. Dual fan custom cooling. Length will not be an issue whatsoever:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521

Nice card don't think it was on sale when I ordered. I also think the dual cooler is actually longer based on the pictures side by side. But that's not saying it won't fit :).

On a side note has anyone tried to use acoustic foam on the inside of the case to reduce vibration and noise. I know Michael's Arts and crafts has some foam sheets with adhesive on one side for around 1$ for 8.5/11.

Thought about acoustic foam, as I use it in most of my Lian Li cases, but the SG05 simply has so many openings that I think it wouldn't benefit overly much.

I know Michael's Arts and crafts has some foam sheets with adhesive on one side for around 1$ for 8.5/11

P.S. For proper sound dampening, you need foam that's both open cell and made of a heavy material, preferably with a bitumen or similar density rubber backing. Plain ol' foam won't do much of anything.

Last edited:
Nice card don't think it was on sale when I ordered. I also think the dual cooler is actually longer based on the pictures side by side. But that's not saying it won't fit :).

On a side note has anyone tried to use acoustic foam on the inside of the case to reduce vibration and noise. I know Michael's Arts and crafts has some foam sheets with adhesive on one side for around 1$ for 8.5/11.

At 10.3" that card is going to be a very tight fit, if it makes it in at all. At least it has top power connectors.

Acoustic (or any other foam) foam also has temperature insulating properties so you may just be making the problem worse by forcing the fans to ramp up. For the SG05/06 the best solution, IMO, is an EE card. I have GTX560ti reference designs (>50% case dumping) and many times I feel that the fan is recycling lots of the hot air that it is dumping into the case. Maybe I need a foam fan shroud like on the SG07.

Back