your windows 11 experience. What you hate, what you love.

phantommaggot

Weaksauce
So I'm finally upgrading my 4790k system since impulse shopped a 7600x build. I just couldn't fit a GPU in this little node304 -_- and Can't play new games with my old fury drivers... AMD can eat a dingus for that one. Furys weren't cheap...
I started a build right before covid... Bought a case, PSU, 1tb m.2 as they popped up on sale, then covid made things outrageously overpriced and I refused to pay for it. I'll probably upgrade the 7600x later and pass that on to my daughter.
My original build was : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RXfgZZ
My new build will be : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VGbXYN
(haven't picked a GPU yet, most likely get a 7900 xt or xtx since I don't need a ITX or 2 slot card anymore)

I ran windows 7 til I just couldn't and thank all the gods that MSMG toolkit popped up and made 10 7 again
Now It looks like I should just run 11 on the new build for now. Gonna MSMG that one up too but I wanna know what to remove based on everyones ... complaints.
On 10 I pulled cortana, games and a bunch of invasive stuff, added regular ol MS Paint and some stuff back in.

What do you guys think I should delete from 11 with MSMG before install? I don't want anything like cortana, search bar, anything that listens. Hopefully I can pull that account requirement.

Thumbs up for MSMG Toolkit, and it does a great job debloating Win11. Note that the tool hasn't yet been updated for 23H2, so you'd need to get an older stock ISO image (22H2). Or use something else like NTLite (payware).

775338_1670306667847.png

Last edited:
Things I like -

The new UI looks nice aesthetically.

Has support for all the latest bells and whistles.

Things I dislike-

Almost everything else. There is just too much to list that I dislike about it Windows 11. I’ve tried giving it an honest try, several times now, but always end up going back to windows 10.

When support ends for 10, unless there is a major shakeup @ Microsoft, I’ll likely be going to Linux full time.

Not sure how much difference there is, windows 10 still get a lot of support I think, so the comments will probably be more about stuff they made since windows 11 that can be more general.

The general direction-focus on developer of Microsoft, where they completely dominate the scene with github is in the perfect direction, they still have work to do to reach Linux/Apple git bash level, but

winget: Obviously a big plus
terminal: getting better and better
vcpkg: Obviously a big plus
WSL 2/docker/etc: pretty much there already
PowerToys: screenshots, windows management, what process currently using a file or folder information, power rename, easy quick host file

Windows sandbox, to quickly try your application on a fresh install or try low trust tool, really nice
Hyper-V, getting really good

I imagine the transition to ReFS-virtual drive for Dev Home will also work great.

Now than you can out of the box keep application separated in the taskbar, once you put back the right-click, cannot think of anything I miss from windows 10 or particularly negatively care it's present in 11, the nuance between 10 to 11 seem to be extremely thin as of now, the starting the task bar from scratch having yet to pay off, seem almost irrelevant which who choose.

Last edited:
I switch early on. The only downside I had was with my old dell color printer. The driver wasn't stable in 11. Took a year or so for a new driver to come out. Not a power user anymore, just home hub and some gaming.

When support ends for 10, unless there is a major shakeup @ Microsoft, I’ll likely be going to Linux full time.
Why not make the switch now?

I don't think that Microsoft is going to have a major shakeup. Satya Nadella is 56. Here is part of his bio, from Wikipedia

Under Nadella, Microsoft revised its mission statement to "empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more".[46] He orchestrated a cultural shift at Microsoft by emphasizing empathy, collaboration, and 'growth mindset'.[47][48] He has transformed Microsoft's corporate culture into one that emphasizes continual learning and growth.[49]

As of November 2023, Microsoft stock had increased nearly tenfold since Nadella became CEO in 2014, with a 27% annual growth rate, ending a 14-year period of near zero growth.[54]
[55]

Pretty impressive.

With the various updates there aren't a whole lot of things I dislike about it anymore. The only things that came to mind are MS's strange push toward UWP apps after seemingly giving up on the concept. Both the "New" Outlook and "New" Teams are UWP apps that were released (as final) with major functionalities admittedly missing or not working. That's all while strangely sunsetting a variety of other UWP apps that actually DID work.

With the various updates there aren't a whole lot of things I dislike about it anymore. The only things that came to mind are MS's strange push toward UWP apps after seemingly giving up on the concept. Both the "New" Outlook and "New" Teams are UWP apps that were released (as final) with major functionalities admittedly missing or not working. That's all while strangely sunsetting a variety of other UWP apps that actually DID work.

What are the things you do dislike since there are so few of them?

What are the things you do dislike since there are so few of them?

I still dislike how settings and the control panel are both still around with functions that are exclusive to each. That's an even bigger problem with Windows 7, 8, and 10, though.

I don't care for the sound, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth settings panel on the task bar. I know where there are, but trying to explain that to my parents or various luddite coworkers is a struggle. I guess for that matter, I don't like how MS hides those notifications icons down there by default. Again, I know how to make 'em show up - but why should I have to explain basic OS functions to others? Either kill off that section (like they seem to want to do) or do something better with it.

Not that big of a deal, but MS's claims of Android app support were way overblown. The Amazon store is like an electronic version of the Nintendo aisle in a Target and side-loading/using apps that aren't there = a complete pain in the ass.

Things I don't like:
  • The amount of stuff I applications I need to disable and uninstall in its default state. The solution to this now is to select English (World) in currency selection during setup, but it also breaks Bitlocker the hardware encryption setup process, so I don't use this workaround. It also requires you to change the currency back to your region after if you need the Microsoft store for anything (this is easy to fix though)
  • There is so many menus to go through in Windows 11, it's ridiculous. I usually use the GodMode link to see most of the selectable menus at once
  • The amount of unnecessary telemetry on Windows 11 (and 7,8,10). O&O ShutUp handles around 80% of it.
  • In Win11 23H2 they removed the ability to disable hybrid boot (you can change it in the registry though). They also added co-pilot (easy to remove though).
  • 23H2 also removed the troubleshooter, so you have to use GetHelp or whatever which to me seems kind of useless but I haven't really used it much, so I'm not really sure.
  • Since Microsoft got rid of their QA team. Updates are not as stable when they roll out, you can see more errors pop up in event viewer. I usually delay system updates 1 month but let security updates happen immediately.

Things I like:
  • HDR Calibration (Windows Store app), HDR in general is just better in Windows 11. It still has awful support in games, but using software like SpecialK or even AutoHDR you can get a decent experience.
  • HAGS is better. DWM Fullscreen is far better than previous versions of Windows.
  • Windows 11 has better thread management on AMD and Intel

In general Windows 11 is a lot better than Windows 7, 8 and 10. But it takes a lot longer to get things how I like it so I have to resort to a lot of tools to do it. I also use some .bat scripts and powershell scrips I created and some reg files that I created to speed up the process a little. It still takes me atleast a full day to get things how I like it though (including game and program installs) so I don't like to reimage my machine very often. I like the UI and customization more than previous windows. But I don't like when they force apps/features on you that you can't remove without using powershell.

Since Microsoft got rid of their QA team. Updates are not as stable when they roll out, you can see more errors pop up in event viewer. I usually delay system updates 1 month but let security updates happen immediately.

You, the consumer = QA Team 🤮

I HATE the taskbar overflow... and I hate that I'm unable to permanently disable it.

My only real ‘annoyance’ (and I put it in quotes as it’s so easy to fix) is it continually will change my scaling from the recommended 125% to 150% or 175%.

I only tried windows 11 in a VM few times. Didn't like it and kept on using 10 for most of my machines. But I'd like to know what makes it windows 7 like because we will have to switch one day. I see that shutup is still being used and MSMG Toolkit is some good tool to use. Do they have something to let you use the classic start menu? Or you still need to use classic shell or something similar for that?

I guess I'll be the Linux guy...

There's nothing wrong with 11's functionality. It totally works. It runs all windows programs (obviously), so it's worth keeping around as a dual boot for the odd game or program that doesn't behave in linux. But I've found I simply don't like it as much as Linux. It's slower in every regard (booting, general snappiness, and yes, even in a lot of games). I prefer simple OSs - I dislike widgets on the toolbar and other clutter getting in the way (news and suggestions and whatnot). I still click around instead of searching - and there's a lot of clicking through multiple sub levels to get to the thing you're looking for - 7 and 10 were better. (you even have to click twice to get to all apps - small thing but mind boggling).

It's fine - it's just being outclassed by other OSs (which seemed like that would never happen, but I think it's finally here).

Run whatever you want. Better yet, run them all. OSs are a tool, they all have a place.

Kongar - what version of Linux are you using? I tried to run some older games (games that are greater than 7 years old) and never had any luck in getting them to work.

As for Windows 11, I ended up installing Open Shell because I simply can't find what I want in the new facelift of 11. I have to search for it each time. It seems like after 7, MS will keep misc. settings buried for what ever reason. At least with the Open Shell add on I can find them quickly.

There's nothing wrong with 11's functionality. It totally works. It runs all windows programs (obviously), so it's worth keeping around as a dual boot for the odd game or program that doesn't behave in linux. But I've found I simply don't like it as much as Linux. It's slower in every regard (booting, general snappiness, and yes, even in a lot of games). I prefer simple OSs - I dislike widgets on the toolbar and other clutter getting in the way (news and suggestions and whatnot). I still click around instead of searching - and there's a lot of clicking through multiple sub levels to get to the thing you're looking for - 7 and 10 were better. (you even have to click twice to get to all apps - small thing but mind boggling).

It's fine - it's just being outclassed by other OSs (which seemed like that would never happen, but I think it's finally here).

Run whatever you want. Better yet, run them all. OSs are a tool, they all have a place.
I like linux and it has its uses which are many, but windows is still dominant in the desktop and you go with the flow. I wish they just kept on updating 7.

There's nothing wrong with 11's functionality. It totally works. It runs all windows programs (obviously).

You're wrong. There's a huge thread here about hard forum members detailing their inability to get Windows Fitgirl Repack programs working in Windows 11.

Last edited:
Kongar - what version of Linux are you using? I tried to run some older games (games that are greater than 7 years old) and never had any luck in getting them to work.

As for Windows 11, I ended up installing Open Shell because I simply can't find what I want in the new facelift of 11. I have to search for it each time. It seems like after 7, MS will keep misc. settings buried for what ever reason. At least with the Open Shell add on I can find them quickly.
I don't do gaming in linux but Ubuntu and linux mint should do very well. I myself was amazed by linux mint cinnamon. It installed all my programs and drivers just like if it was windows.

You're wrong. There's a huge thread here about hard forum members detailing their inability to get Windows Fitgirl Repack programs working in Windows 11.
its less than one page and has one person saying they have issues, and you didnt seem to know what a repack was....

to the others, lets not turn this into another linux hijack, mmmkay?!

I'm running arch gnome on my main rig dual booted with win 11. I have a secondary PC running endeavor - I like that as well. I have another laptop running mint. The pc running endeavor shipped with win 11 and it NEVER worked right (minis forum pc used as a small little college paper writing machine for my daughter). It runs linux better than win11, and it was the power settings that work in linux and not in win11 (suspend hibernate wake up). How's that for a 180? ;)

I have trouble with the odd game - usually what you're describing. Really old stuff goes into a VM or dosbox and runs fine there. Newest stuff usually runs natively from steam, maybe I have to pick a different version of proton. The approx 10year old stuff on a DVD is what I have trouble with as well - that's what I use my windows dual boot for.

I'm just a big fan of huge and many hard drives and running multiple OSes.

to the others, lets not turn this into another linux hijack, mmmkay?!
Sorry not trying to hijack. Rather trying to make the point that no OS is perfect, and it's highly subjective to the individual and their use case. There's all kinds of things to not like about win11, but they can be fixed with mods or one can run other OSs. I just like to encourage people to not be so hung up on the OS wars - RUN THEM ALL AND YOU CAN DO ANYTHING! ;)

I'm still Windows 10 on my desktop, but my laptop has Windows 11 (Surface LT4).

Honestly, day to day it's practically the same, except for...

The Start menu which is a total joke 🤡 I use a program called StartAllBack to fix that.

Back