Your favorite price to performance heatsinks.

Both Peerless Assassin and Phantkom are good options. I think Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 Power with it's 6x 8mm heatpipes is still one of the best of not best cooler for $50 made, but it tall, and it is wide, and it is hard to find, and if used on AMD base might need base lapped flat.

Sadly Scythe never gets the recommission it deserves, I'm a big fan of the ninja my self. Slap some 1000-1500 RPM fans on it and its rather good.
Very true. Scythe do some very good coolers.

Another often overlooked is Alpenfohn. Ben Nevis, Brocken, Matterhorn, Olymp are all great coolers .. as well as Black Ridge down-flow cooler.

Last edited:
price to performance.. i like coolermaster hyper 212
Assuming price is right it can be a good little cooler. Once upon a time 212 was one of lowest priced 4x heatpipe 120mm fanned coolers. But today we have many easily as good and often lower priced.

I assume by now OP has new cooler. ;)

Assuming price is right it can be a good little cooler. Once upon a time 212 was one of lowest priced 4x heatpipe 120mm fanned coolers. But today we have many easily as good and often lower priced.

I assume by now OP has new cooler. ;)
Ugh, it still sits on my desk in front of my keyboard. Yes the very same spot i put it in since i last posted about installing it (i know, for shame). Sadly my office has been vacant for months it seems like. Im still stuck outside working on the honey-do-list (that strangely seems to grow rather than shrink). My computer has become my phone, as pathetic as that is to admit (I've gotten pretty good at one thumb typing tho! :D). Altho the hotter it gets the more time i spend on the porch trying not to have a friggin heart attack, that may explain the list. But, i will swap that heatsink in before the heat kills me! 😂

Edit- yeah i typed that while taking a break hahaha. If only i weren't such a cheap sob.

Ugh, it still sits on my desk in front of my keyboard. Yes the very same spot i put it in since i last posted about installing it (i know, for shame). Sadly my office has been vacant for months it seems like. Im still stuck outside working on the honey-do-list (that strangely seems to grow rather than shrink). My computer has become my phone, as pathetic as that is to admit (I've gotten pretty good at one thumb typing tho! :D). Altho the hotter it gets the more time i spend on the porch trying not to have a friggin heart attack, that may explain the list. But, i will swap that heatsink in before the heat kills me! 😂

Edit- yeah i typed that while taking a break hahaha. If only i weren't such a cheap sob.
The better job you do the bigger the list gets. I learned the hard way. (y)

Off-topic, but I'm trying to find a cheap pressure differential meter / manometer sensitive enough to measure static pressure of our fans .. so needs to be accurate to at least 0.1mm H2O from 0.0-5.0mmH2O. Any ideas?
Only thing I don't have to have all data of fan testing.

The better job you do the bigger the list gets. I learned the hard way. (y)

Off-topic, but I'm trying to find a cheap pressure differential meter / manometer sensitive enough to measure static pressure of our fans .. so needs to be accurate to at least 0.1mm H2O from 0.0-5.0mmH2O. Any ideas?
Only thing I don't have to have all data of fan testing.
Hahaha you arent kiddin!

I haven't got any idea unfortunately. There's a dude at overclockers.com that used to do a ton of fan reviews. Ed Hume or ehume on the forums but i couldn't find a way to track him down. Ill shoot him a pm and see if he has anything up his sleeve.

I just bought the be quiet! PURE ROCK SLIM 2, only $25.

https://www.newegg.com/be-quiet-pure-rock-2/p/13C-001F-00061?Item=9SIA68VE5J3410

Needed something small for a Micro ATX build, and all the main coolers were too big.

Got decent enough reviews, and I don't overclock, so it should be enough.
be quiet! make good stuff. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I haven't used Pure Rock Slim 2 but have use Dark Rock Pro 4 and a few others that perform very well. ,

Idcooling just released the 6 heatpipe heatsinks
SE-226-XT BLACK $39 and
SE-226-XT ARGB $45

No reviews yet but the price is right!

Still haven't heard anything from ehume. I don't think i will for a while if at all. He doesn't seem to be active much at ocf anymore.

Idcooling just released the 6 heatpipe heatsinks
SE-226-XT BLACK $39 and
SE-226-XT ARGB $45

No reviews yet but the price is right!

Still haven't heard anything from ehume. I don't think i will for a while if at all. He doesn't seem to be active much at ocf anymore.
They are quite compact. 129×106×154mm (L×W×H) w/ fan. I've used several of their coolers over the years, from 120mm fanned 4x 6mm heatpipe 214, 224 and 234 series and found them all to be as good or better than other similar coolers in their price range. What really sets them a notch above others is how nice they look! New SE-226 series have same good looks! Used some of their CLCs and found them to be good too.

I haven't talked to or seen any posts from ehume in years. Too bad, because he was one of the good old boys. ;)

Last edited:
Back