You Can Now Run Windows 95 Inside Windows (or Linux or macOS)

Heck my first hard drive was like 40MB, no GB just MB!
My first PC (actually my father's) used a Seagate ST412 (10MB)
st412.jpg
Seagate-ST-412-10MB-525-inch-MFM-Hard-Disk-_1.jpg
seagate_st_412.jpg

Mine was a 20MB half-height 5.25" MFM Seagate ST-225. The "chirp-master" series that you now hear in cartoons, video games, and other media as "the sound of the computer room". Tsch-tsch---chirp-chirp-chirp---tsch-tsch---chirp-chirp-chirp.

I've heard them in Dexter's Lab, Shogo, and other cartoons and games over the years.

st-225.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hit the d/l button, then started to watch the vid that modi123 posted. The d/l completed in less than a minute. Back in the day, it took me longer to crack into the cellophane wrap, open the box, and pull out then sort all twenty-one 1.44MB 3.5" floppy disks, just to get ready for installation...

Ha! You win! (see my ST-225 post...)

Did you run Direct Access? :D Since the drive would only fit a small handful of programs/games, DA was great. There were enough menu-items for everything.
I do not recall. I was about 5 - 6 years old at the time. What I remember is DOS 2.?, The FDD that took up 2 x 5.25" bays was next to the hard drive and MFM. I do not remember what I did on that system. But I do remember that my gaming began on a 286 with DOS 3.0. The games I remember spending the most time on are

I do not recall. I was about 5 - 6 years old at the time. What I remember is DOS 2.?, The FDD that took up 2 x 5.25" bays was next to the hard drive and MFM. I do not remember what I did on that system. But I do remember that my gaming began on a 286 with DOS 3.0. The games I remember spending the most time on are
You got me beat, my gaming began on a Packard Bell 486/66DX2 Windows 3.1 and the game was Doom!

I think I was 10-12ish. It's a bit... hazy... :D I started with DOS 3.2 on a hand-built XT machine with an ISA RAM expansion, a Paradise 350 EGA card, and a 12 or 13" Princeton Graphics monitor. We had 2 5.25" floppy drives and the Seagate hard drive. It could just barely play Hero's Quest, and Codename Iceman. It would play King's Quest 3 like a champ though. :D We were slightly behind as you can tell by the hardware to game gap, but those were the parts we could get our hands on when we decided to try building a PC. (we were C64 users at the time) Shortly after that though we built a 286 with 4MB (30-pin SIMMs) Soundblaster 1.0, 256K VGA card (Cirrus based I think) and our first IDE hard drive. (or RLE or whatever was available right then 40MB I think) I got my Amiga 500 at the same time.

That 286 would BARELY run Wing Commander and Wolfenstein. It did, but... :D (WC was probably 3-4 fps ok probably more like 10...) Jumped to an AMD 386 DX-40 VLB and Orchid Fahrenheit 1280 after that though. Then I was off to the races...

Last edited by a moderator:
When my father worked at IBM in the seventies and eighties he brought one of these home one day, I way still very young and never used it but I remember seeing it set up in the living room.
View attachment 98878

Ours looked like that, but it was all franken-parts inside. :D Except we had half-height 5.25" drives stacked over each other. The second bay had the HDD. Must have been around 1988 I think? Like I said, a little late in the game for an XT, but we had fun building it. I still used the C64 heavily until I got the Amiga in 1989 or 1990.

My first PC's hard drive was a 40mb on a 286 clone I built out of junk parts in like 1990. Coming from a Commodore 64 I was like... WOAH I will NEVER fill this thing up.

Those early GB hard drives, circa 1995 or so were like $500 for a gigabyte. WOAH! I will NEVER, EVER fill this thing up! But I did. We all did.

My first PC's hard drive was a 40mb on a 286 clone I built out of junk parts in like 1990. Coming from a Commodore 64 I was like... WOAH I will NEVER fill this thing up.

Those early GB hard drives, circa 1995 or so were like $500 for a gigabyte. WOAH! I will NEVER, EVER fill this thing up! But I did. We all did.

We always filled them up. Still do. :D

The funny part is, I made a decision a while back to never touch a spinning drive again unless it was at work. So, I actually have less space than I did on all my machines now than a few years ago. I get by though. I'm just pickier about what I hold onto.

Wow, two nostalgic threads in one day and from different eras. This one, and there's a touch of it going on in the DICE / Ray Tracing thread too. :D

Ok well since were all talking about our old computers my 486/66DX2 died one day, couldn't figure out why. I brought it to a computer shop and come to fine out it was this LOL
Fuse.jpg

Ok well since were all talking about our old computers my 486/66DX2 died one day, couldn't figure out why. I brought it to a computer shop and come to fine out it was this LOL
View attachment 98880

Glass fuse!!! Still use slow-blow glass fuses in my linear power supplies. (for synthesizers though, not computers) I bet that was a happy visit!

I still used the C64 heavily until I got the Amiga in 1989 or 1990.

Still got it? Which one? I always wanted an Amiga but couldn't afford it. Went straight from C64 (well I also had a 128 until the power supply blew up, but it rarely left C64 mode) to a garbage bin 286 that I built into a wooden box.

If I ever find I have a lot of money laying around that serves zero purpose, I will buy an Amiga just to stare at it.

Still got it? Which one? I always wanted an Amiga but couldn't afford it. Went straight from C64 (well I also had a 128 until the power supply blew up, but it rarely left C64 mode) to a garbage bin 286 that I built into a wooden box.

If I ever find I have a lot of money laying around that serves zero purpose, I will buy an Amiga just to stare at it.

We got the '83 round "classic looking" C64 in '83. We couldn't afford the 1541 drive right away, but my dad traded one of his guitars to a friend that had two of them, so we had that shortly after. I could play Jumpan in a matter of minutes. :D (years later my dad's friend felt bad about that trade, and gave my dad back his guitar) To be fair we got a TON of use out of that 1541.

Later, in an effort to hack in a PAL frequency crystal and a PAL switch (so I could run european cracks and demos without flickering) my cousin and I fried that C64. So, we got the C64C as that was new at the time. That one lasted until about 1990 I think when I once again attempted the PAL hack. It worked mostly, but I think I got a solder blob on the board that eventually killed it. That's about when we built that 286 I mentioned. I had to drool over the Amiga at a few peoples' houses for a couple of years, but XMAS 1990 I think they ran that Amiga 500 deal where you could get it for $299 or something for a bit, and my parents got it for my brother and I for XMAS. We didn't have an RGB monitor though, so I had to get the composite adapter and use the old C64 monitor. It actually didn't look bad, and worked fine in PAL and NTSC. By that time my friends/family that had Amigas had built up a very nice trading network (I use the term network loosely, only a couple of them had modems... :D ) I was purely "bring a box of floppies to my cousin's house-NET" :D

Anyway, about the C64s... I had my 1541 still up until about a year ago. I actually built a cable and ripped all of my disks to D64 files. I have a stack of C64Cs and one 128D in my basement that I grabbed off of ebay before the big SID Chip craze of the early 2000s. I also have a stack of SID chips of various revisions. I keep planning to build something for them. I also got a few of those cartridges with SD slots, to run off of on the real C64s. They're pretty much all idle in a work-room though, because it's so much easier to load up VICE. I may eventually do something cool with all of it though. :D

This doesn't work very good on a 4k screen and there's no way to zoom in. Now I have to install VMware or something and actually install Win95 because changing resolution all the time is just too much work.

Edit: I think just finding a really old computer to install it on is better idea. lol

Last edited:
Messed around with it a little... interesting but one gets bored quickly unless I was to spend time to figure out how to add storage to install things.

What I did find interesting is how much of the right click, alt type commands still work.

Back