Yet Another Quad G34 Build

firedfly

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - February 2012
I received my quad supermicro g34 board today. And thus starts the second 4p g34 build for me! :D

scaled.php

Earlier in the week, I started the process of implementing the MuskyMod on some 212+ HSFs. Through trial and error, I tweaked his steps just a bit. Per Musky's comment, I decided to use rivets to mod the 212+ cross brace. After screwing up a few too many times and having to drill out the rivets, I finally go the hang of it. [Note: The shelving piece will be very close to the 212+ heat pipes. If you put the rivet on the wrong end of the rectangle in the shelving piece, then you wont have room to attach the next rivet on that side of the HSF.]

scaled.php

scaled.php

Instead of using bolts threaded from the bottom side of the mother board to hold the HSF in place, I decide to make some threaded rods from 1 1/4in #6-32 bolts. Wire cutters were used to cut the bolts and a die set used to fix the threads after the bolt was cut.

scaled.php

I'm using a #6 split washer and nut to attach the HSF to the board. I briefly tried to use the 212+ spring like musky did, but it was too tight for me to get the nut on. The nut and heat pipe were too close together. Using a shorter rod and omitting the spring made it much easier to attach the HSF to the board.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

This is all for now. More updates will follow after some sleep.

Last edited:
What happened w/ the other 5x PCI-e slots? ;/ Fail

Also, FYI: newer SM boards require 3x EPS 8-pin connectors...

edit2: ok, I'm jealous ;D

Also, FYI: newer SM boards require 3x EPS 8-pin connectors...

Yes. I was disappointed to find that out. I'll have to pick up an adapter tomorrow for the third connector.

Check the manual - it may say that you can get away with two EPS connections.

Very nice.

I bet you could sell mod kits for a few bucks if you wanted to.

This is great. What cpus did you get/from where/how much?

This is great. What cpus did you get/from where/how much?

I picked up eight 6174 cpus for $400 each. I'm using 4 for this build and the other 4 are slated to go to other members of the team.

I picked up eight 6174 cpus for $400 each. I'm using 4 for this build and the other 4 are slated to go to other members of the team.

Ahh...that is just sick! SICK I say! If I ask real nice, can I get them?

Ahh...that is just sick! SICK I say! If I ask real nice, can I get them?

If you are willing to pay for the cpus, then I can add you to the line in case the current buyers back out. However, I doubt that is very likely.

So, this afternoon I finished the build. Debian is installed and a bench p6901 unit is running right now. Later tonight I plan on performing the OC...

scaled.php

scaled.php

So, this afternoon I finished the build. Debian is installed and a bench p6901 unit is running right now. Later tonight I plan on performing the OC...

scaled.php

scaled.php

Nicely done, we have definitely come a long way with the G34 mounting since the original Hyper 212 hacks. :p

I think the fan you have sandwhiched between the two near heatsinks is probably doing more harm than good due to output mismatch with the main fans. It would be interesting to see your temps with and without.

Nicely done, we have definitely come a long way with the G34 mounting since the original Hyper 212 hacks. :p

Yes. However, your hack is much less involved than musky's :)

I think the fan you have sandwhiched between the two near heatsinks is probably doing more harm than good due to output mismatch with the main fans. It would be interesting to see your temps with and without.

Well, if that is the case, then I'll need to swap those HSFs to use the stock cooler. I have to take a HSF off the board to remove that middle fan...and i'm not planning on doing that anytime soon.we'll see how temps are after the OC. At stock, they are ~40C under full load.

Early results of the OC are in. P6901 tpf went from 6m22s to 5m46s. ~50k ppd increase.

I think I would have those two fans sucking air away from each other. But as long as temps are OK, whatever works.

Early results of the OC are in. P6901 tpf went from 6m22s to 5m46s. ~50k ppd increase.

Nice what clock is that...If I remember correctly I am only at 4:50 on that unit...
I need to get the server kernel installed lol...

Nice what clock is that...If I remember correctly I am only at 4:50 on that unit...
I need to get the server kernel installed lol...

12.5% OC on 6174. So, 2.475. I'm averaging 12m40s on p6903. A nice boost over stock.

Back