Yamaha reciever shuts off at -20db volume...

d34dly

2[H]4U
So yeah the descriptiong says it. I am sure it is a safety thing but it has never done it before. When I turn it back on it says Check Speaker Cables. It only started this today. Before I could crank it to the 0db mark but suddenly today it is freaking out. I read through the manual and didn't find what I was looking for.

Yamaha HTR-5740

Thanks in advance.

Most likely have a short somewhere.

Check to make sure your speaker wires are cleaning connected. No stray strands or anything like that.

Also try using the stereo with the speakers disconnected and see if it still shuts down. If it does then you have a short inside the stereo.

Alright... I know one of my speaker cables may have a small short. It works but if I move it it cuts out.

On a side note... do I need to use the same gauge wire or does it matter?

d34dly said:
Alright... I know one of my speaker cables may have a small short. It works but if I move it it cuts out.

On a side note... do I need to use the same gauge wire or does it matter?

I would use the same guage wire. If the distance is not very far, like less than 20 feet then it should not matter really.

However the wire does SLIGHTLY affect the amps seen load, so it may not be best to have varing loads on one side of the amp versus the other. However if you are talking about the difference in load between 10 feet of 14 guage versus 10 feet of 16 gauge the diff. is negelible.

But wire is pretty cheap, get the stuff at the hardware store do NOT buy overpriced monster crap and just re-wire boths sides.

m1abram said:
I would use the same guage wire. If the distance is not very far, like less than 20 feet then it should not matter really.

However the wire does SLIGHTLY affect the amps seen load, so it may not be best to have varing loads on one side of the amp versus the other. However if you are talking about the difference in load between 10 feet of 14 guage versus 10 feet of 16 gauge the diff. is negelible.

But wire is pretty cheap, get the stuff at the hardware store do NOT buy overpriced monster crap and just re-wire boths sides.

Haha.... I never bought that stuff anyway.... I saw through the bull shit. But yeah Thanks. The distance in almost nothing. Maybe 4 feet. Thanks.

Back