XP90 on an E8600, your thoughts...

Auraka

Limp Gawd
I ran an XP90 / panaflo FBA09A12H-1BX combo with much success on an FX60 for a few years. That processor was rated at 110W, and the cooling solution controlled by Qfan on an A8N-E performed very well with adequate cooling / minimal noise.

Today I'm cooling an E8600 with the XP90 on a P5E64 WS Evolution. I had to change fans to a Rexflo 92mm PWM for Qfan control, but otherwise the fan spec'd about the same as the panaflo used before. Cooling is as good or better on this E8600 at 65W than on the 110W FX60.

I understand the XP90 is old tech to a degree, but the design generates significantly less torsional loads on the package/board compared to the newer upright TRUE or Ultras while still performing more than adequate. Using the XP90 with LGA775RM provides for a secure mount with firm interface forces, unlike the systems using the pushpin style.

Is this a smarter move than buying into the current cooler hype? What is your take?

My reasoning for using a XP120 (other than size limitations) was if it could cool a Athlon X2/Pentium D, it can cool a Core 2 Duo.

And it does. Quite well.

Using a XP120 and Panaflo FBA12G12U1BX on my E8400. I'm purring along at 4ghz and it loads around 58c. I see absolutely no reason to swap coolers...the 4 year old XP120 is still doing the job more than adequately. Props to TR for designing a thoroughly futureproof heatsink.

Back