XP VPN Problem

CaptRR

n00b
This might be a networking question, but it deals with OS setup so I'm really not sure. If I have the wrong group sorry.

I've been using VPN at a small org I do some volenteer work for, for quite a while now. Worked pretty good too, I would vpn in, and then use PC anywhere to fix any computer problems they have on their network. However, recently (in the last month) I have been unable to make a connection to any of the computers on the network with the exception of the windows xp box I am using as a vpn server.

I tried resetting up the vpn server, and I am still unable to "see" (ping, pcAnywhere, ect.) anything else on the network.

Strange thing is I am able to see the router fine, and am able to browse the network. One of the things that I have found odd are that my subnet while vpn'ing in is 255.255.255.255, while the actual subnet of the network is 255.255.255.0 .

I'm not a vpn expert by any means, and I'm not sure if the subnet difference could be the cause of it or not. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or might know of a solution.

Ok, I figured it out. Apparently if your local network is the same kind of network i.e. 192.168.1.x as the servers network you are trying to connect to, you will not be able to see the servers network properly.

The solution was to chance my home network.

Back