XP sees my CD-Rom but nothing else does...?

Murkon

Limp Gawd
Subject pretty much says it all.

I'm trying to rip/encode some CDs I have.

I put in an audio CD, and neither EAC nor CDex detect my CD rom!

When I first installed EAC it said that it detected two "Generic DVD Rom" yet I only have one CD rom hooked up. Clicking next and then I got a "no audio CD found" error even though I have a CD in there.

CDex also detected 2 "Generic DVD" drives and wouldn't read the audio CD I had in.

I've tried multiple CDs and nothing is working, wtf?

I've even tried two drives, one generic DVD rom I have an then I tried my Plextor 24x CD-RW. Neither worked, it still only detected two "Generic DVD Rom" drives.

This is annoying the hell out of me. I don't understand, the second I put the music CD in XP wants to autoplay it but neither of these programs sees it.

Any ideas? All information is appreciated...

ok this is hardwere and softwere. you need to delete all your old drives form you divice manger. even delete the cdrw i hope you have one of thoes in there. then turn the pc off and check you cables that is the aduo cables to the sound card and the eide cables and power if every thing is connected nicly and the jumpers are set correctly then turn it on and check the bios and what it says. just make sure it sees the cd drives. then let windows and last re install cdex and eac. good luck.

I just checked something.

When I go to device manager it shows two "Generic DVD-Rom SCSI Cdrom Device" and one "Plextor CD-R PX-W2410A". I uninstall them and reboot and they show back up.

The Plextor should be there, I have no idea where the two "Generic DVD-Rom SCSI Cdrom Device"'s are coming from.

I only have one CD-Rom hooked up to my mobo (A7N8X Deluxe). I've checked all the cables - everything is correct and tight.

I thought it might have been Daemon tools but I disabled that from startup and I still get these two strange drives.

What could be causing this? I'm guessing that this problem will fix my EAC/CDex problem?

look for drivers. the scsi divices are to let you burn ( but i only thought that linux did that) if the computer should call your burner a scsi cd drive. take out the cd drive and start over hopefully that will let you burn. then install the cd drive and see what happens. good luck.

Once Daemon Tools adds the drives they're there until you disable them. Even if you don't have the program opened they'll still be there. That shouldn't be your problem though. Not sure why the program isn't seeing your CD-Rom drive.

What is ASPI layer and how does that relate to my problems? (not trying to be an ass, just a noob)

Also, does anyone have any idea why EAC and CDex are seeing two "Generic DVD Rom" drives?

I disabled the two drives Daemon tools adds from device manager and reinstalled the plextor and still EAC and CDex see two "Generic DVD Rom" drives and neither of the CD Roms I have tried to use.

Wtf is going on :(

I have no idea what it is but I some cd recording programs refuse to work without it. If you have nero infotool, open that up and goto the ASPI section, look under system ASPI.

If it's missing or if you don't have NeroInfotool then that could be your problem. Here is the Adaptec ASPI files click.

Extract and run ASPICHK.EXE to check if you have ASPI installed, if not, install it.

If that doesn't work it could be your IDE controller driver has been altered, especially ig you're using an nForce2 board.

Checked using the ASPI check and I do have ASPI.

Yes I am using an Nforce 2 board - how do I know if my IDE controller driver has been altered? More importantly - what do I do to fix it?

Originally posted by Murkon
Checked using the ASPI check and I do have ASPI.

Yes I am using an Nforce 2 board - how do I know if my IDE controller driver has been altered? More importantly - what do I do to fix it?

If you installed the nVidia SW IDE driver it may have made your CDROM drives not function properly. It makes them run as SCSI and it gave me so much trouble that. Try this:

Right Click My Computer
Goto Properties
Click on Hardware > Device Manager
Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Make sure that the nVidia IDE driver is using the "NVIDEA nForce2 IDE Controller" driver and not the other one.
Restart

Good luck :).

Under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" I have -
NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Is that normal?

Under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" I have -
NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller
Primary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel

Is that normal?

It's normal but "NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller" is the thing which wouldn't let me record cds etc; many, many people have problems with it.

Right-click on it, goto Update Driver and you want to select the "NVIDEA nForce2 IDE Controller" driver and then restart.

Originally posted by Andrew87
Right-click on it, goto Update Driver and you want to select the "NVIDEA nForce2 IDE Controller" driver and then restart.

I don't have that. When I go to "update driver" all I have is "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" and "NVIDIA Nforce MCP2 IDE Controller".

I have the latest chipset drivers...

Oh, and I want to say thank you for everyone who is helping me out here, I really appreciate it.

I don't have that. When I go to "update driver" all I have is "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" and "NVIDIA Nforce MCP2 IDE Controller".

Go for the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller", it's the same as the one that I mentioned earlier, basically nvidia just renamed the microsoft driver, that's my understanding of it anyway. The driver you're currently using was built from bottom up by nVidia and gives several users lots of troubles.

I hope this fixes your problem for you :).

Back