XP PRO Filesharing Problem

rzayas144

n00b
Ok here is the deal, I have about 10 computers set up in my basement. I am running XP Pro on all of them, and they all are on the same workgroup. A standard router is being used for DHCP and is working as the internet gateway. All of the machines have file and printer sharing enabled. If i sit down at one computer i can see like 6 of the 10 computers and about 3 of them i can just click on the computer in Network Neighborhood and get right in, on the others i get a log on with guest in the usernameor it sometimes may say access denied. (Same goes for all of the other computers.) There is seemingly no reason why some machines ask for login information. and even if you enter a valid logon username and password for that machine it doesnt go through. I want everone on the network to have free access to everything on the network and i dont know what is going on. Ideally, when i go to browse another computer on the network, all of the shared folders should come right up- but that rarely ever happens. Can anyone think of any settings that may be causing this problem. Its really starting to piss me off.:mad:

Simple file sharing should, in theory, make it easier for you to share you files. However I would agree to turn off simple file sharing and setup accounts on each machine for each remote user logon you want to use. You can setup a local group on each computer with all the users to make it easier once you have that done. If you have 10 machines with Pro on them you might consider putting a server os on one of them, running a domain and your own DNS server. Without a dedicated resolution solution on your LAN your depending on broadcasts and master browser issues. If that isn't an option you can still turn off master browser functionality, thus browser wars which it sounds like you might be having. You do in an MMC console now though instead of the file sharing properties in the control panel network applet like you used to. Disable the Computer Browser service in the services MMC. Doesn't keep the machine from obtaining the browser list but does keep it out of any election. Do that on all but one machine, and you'll need that machine to be pretty reliable. Also, don't depend on Network Places regardless of your LAN. Map drives or you can search for computer by IP if you really need resources off that. Lastly, you can backup all this by creating a hosts file on a machine, then copying that over to each computer. Should'nt be too hard on a LAN with only 10 PC's. That's redundancy but that will clear up any ping resolution or mapping problems via Computer name.

I know XP home has a max share of 5, what does XP pro have? I've bypassed it because XP home limited me to 3 computers and I used Xteq X-setup to increase the number to 20. Problem solved.

How does Xteq X-setup work on a scale of 1 to 10. Do you think that i should install that on my network to help my problem.

Back