XGL playtime with Kororaa

Frobozz

[H]ard|Gawd
I thought I would pass along a fun link to the Kororaa XGL Live CD.

It's a gentoo based livecd and claims to detect and configure itself for a fairly wide range of video cards. Worked great with a generic intel P4 system with an FX 5200. :D

I would recommend the .torrent as most of the mirrors were slow or would time out on me.

I set up XGL in Ubuntu Dapper Drake today. It's nifty. It was a little choppy with a 32 mb shared embed intel video card on an IBM PC. It was also a little buggy. Some times my task bar would disapear when using F12 to sort windows.

But, I can see where this could be tweaked and optimized to provide a seamless experience. I think we are only scratching the surface of what this could do.

it is nifty though

i never had so much fun throwing windows around the screen just to watch them stretch

you can make them bounce more by tweaking settings under the compiz settings in gconf-editor . :D

yep I played with that livecd yesterday...it's so freaking cool. Works perfectly too...I saw no bugs. My favority was overlaying transparent videos while wrapping them around the edge of the cube and rotating the cube, all at once.

I'm considering trying to set it up on my main gentoo box.

I tried it the other week, runs like butter on my Radeon 9600. I hear he's also working on an install version at the moment.

it doesn't work for me..i guess my 9200 AIW doesn't have enough balls...darn

I had it running about a month ago on my test box.

Seems they come ALONG way in just a months time!!! I couldnt get it to work with my nvidia card, but was able to get it to work with my ati card.

Now I downloaded this livecd and it worked well with my nvidia card!! Amazing! I gotta say that with how fast this is coming along, it may be ready for primetime by the fall this year! Impressed!

Becouse Comiz uses OpenGL, think of all the kick ass plugins that will come out for it eventually! I cant wait to see what imaginitive minds can come up with.

I dunno guys, while I think it could eventually turn into something neat with useful features, it seemed kinda gimmicky from what I tried on the korrara livecd. I really don't get what all the fuss is about as it doesn't seem to make the desktop much more useful than it is without it (the zoom out all windows and select was kinda useful though, I'll give it that).

neo86 said:
How "fischer price" is that! :p

It just expanded usability ALOT... I'm talkin leaps and bounds. But it will also make a certain level of FP possible too. So I guess that is fair.

I just cant wait till all the usability plugins get completed so that imaginative people can start working on the eye candy plugins. I think it is going to be great.

Is this a live CD like Knoppix, or a full hard disk install? The website is a little vauge...

Unknown-One said:
Is this a live CD like Knoppix, or a full hard disk install? The website is a little vauge...

Version 0.2 should be the Live CD with an installer added. So you should be able to either.

Back